View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Why would PW and Mike L care about shareholders at all?

For PW, he tries to minimize his loss, for Mike L, he tries to save his face here.
    Clearly it is even for harder for Mike L to get finance loan because PW is richer than him. and if Mike L bids alone, he need pay 150M to PW, 150M may means nothing to Google/Cisco, but is really a lot to Mike.

Basically if you think about it, Mike L even has less power to make bid and even worse on make higher offer.
    That is why market is not motivated.
    He doesn't pay 150M, thanks to the BOD, BBRY shareholders pay it....
    10-11-13 08:16 AM
    Even if he does need to pay himself, why would anyone think that he doesn't have 150M to do so?
    He donated $170M to build the Perimeter Institute and donated another $100M to establish the Institute for Quantum Computing. I think that people usually have more than what they donate.
    Last edited by plasmid_boy; 10-11-13 at 09:17 AM.
    10-11-13 08:37 AM

if he buys BBRY, it is his money.
    10-11-13 09:12 AM
    Even if he does need to pay himself, why would anyone think that he doesn't have 150M to do so?
    He donated $170M to build the Perimeter Institute and donated another $100M to establish the Institute for Quantum Computing. It think that people usually have more than what they donate.
    Several years ago, he just need sell 3M RIMM shares to take home $300M and donate $150M( do you know how to save tax?),

Now he need sell all his BBRY shares to do that. LOL.be realistic,
    10-11-13 09:18 AM
    Several years ago, he just need sell 3M RIMM shares to take home $300M and donate $150M( do you know how to save tax?),

Ummmm..... you do know that his quantum computing donation was this year right? Not three years ago. LOL.... Be in the loop before making comments.
    10-11-13 09:27 AM
    Ummmm..... you do know that his quantum computing donation was this year right? Not three years ago. LOL.... Be in the loop before making comments.
    sigh. OK, he has billions, I guess you would feel much better.

All my math tells me is that even if he bids at 9.5, he need pay $400M+ more than PW
    10-11-13 09:42 AM

All my math tells me is that even if he bids at 9.5, he need pay $400M+ more than PW
    Nice recovery, but not quite. Good Try though, eventually you will get it right.
    10-11-13 09:56 AM
    Where is Heins? The guy has disappeared off the face of the earth.....
    10-11-13 10:11 AM

Never said he had billions. I have no idea what he has banked and available. Just pointing out that his latest contribution had nothing to do with high BBRY prices which you seemed to allude to.
    10-11-13 10:22 AM
    Perhaps this explains the improvement in the SP for the last week...
    10-11-13 10:46 AM
    if he buys BBRY, it is his money.
    Yeah and when you buy a house, you bring money to the table, but guess whose bottom line gets reduced when the broker gets paid? It will be figured into any offer, its his money - technically true, but it is really coming out of the shareholders' pockets.
    10-11-13 10:51 AM
    This is a plus, no???
    fedakd, Tinomane and anon(4086547) like this.
    10-11-13 10:52 AM

In the US you can donate stock directly to the non-profit, have them sell it tax free and take the deduction. Great for low/no basis stock.... YMMV esp. north of the border.
    10-11-13 10:58 AM
    In the US you can donate stock directly to the non-profit, have them sell it tax free and take the deduction. Great for low/no basis stock.... YMMV esp. north of the border.
    All I tried to say is that he does not really have enough M to make a bid here. I know he has several hundreds M.

First he had trouble to find PE to back him, and from the report it seems the talk had already halted.
    Second even if he finds PE backup, it is hard to justify the price rise for a PE firm while considering how bad a shape bbry currently is.

For a company like google, the case may be a little different, some of bbry's parts could generate some synergy to them so it is not a big deal for them to raise the price(say $1B overall), also those big guys had tons of money parked out of US, if they take home it would be charged 35% tax anyway. The PE firms do not have this advantage, instead they need get loans from US bankers.

For a PE LBO, BBRY would still have the same problem, lack scale, not much third-party support, customers leaving fast... There is a very tough road ahead, why would they put a bid, needless to say put a bid war here.
    10-11-13 11:31 AM
    Perhaps this explains the improvement in the SP for the last week...
    Figures if he can keep his mouth shut and do nothing, he might be rewarded real soon.
    10-11-13 12:16 PM
    Tought of the day : instead of searching news about who's bidding that are very unlikely to pop before they are official, why don't we have a look at the list of potential bidders...
    Uh, you forgot:
    Team Crackberryan, as a likely last minute upset.
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 10-11-13 at 12:50 PM.
    10-11-13 12:36 PM
    What happens if Mike and Friends buy over 50% of the shares? They get control, the fan boys are happy, the longs have a shot at reducing their losses....just quit loaning out shares to shorters and they will go away along with their media puppets. If I take a huge loss on my stock (forced out at $9.00).....I won't be buying any more BB devices and making some bottom feeder rich.
    If Mike finds the support to gain such traction, that would be an incredible feat.

It looks like we share the same view on your other points. Especially with the lending shares out to shorters!
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    10-11-13 12:45 PM
    Likely talking to his insurance company.

Merchant Law Group | Canadian Shareholders Class Action Launched Today Against BlackBerry Limited (TSX: BB.TO)

Figures if he can keep his mouth shut and do nothing, he might be rewarded real soon.
    10-11-13 01:23 PM
    Per Wikipedia....Mike Lazaridis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mihal "Mike" Lazaridis net worth in June of 2011 was $800 Million (with an M not a B).

I'm not sure how much of his net worth is tied up in BBRY stocks, but in June of 2011 RIMM was at $36 a share - and in this case useless anyway because he needs the stock. So how is he going to buy BlackBerry?

Now I have seen some reports that have said his net worth was $2B, but Forbes doesn't list him on their list of the World's Billionaires The World's Billionaires List - Forbes
    10-11-13 01:24 PM
    Per Wikipedia....Mike Lazaridis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mihal "Mike" Lazaridis net worth in June of 2011 was $800 Million (with an M not a B).

I'm not sure how much of his net worth is tied up in BBRY stocks, but in June of 2011 RIMM was at $36 a share - and in this case useless anyway because he needs the stock. So how is he going to buy BlackBerry?

Now I have seen some reports that have said his net worth was $2B, but Forbes doesn't list him on their list of the World's Billionaires The World's Billionaires List - Forbes
    What's your point here?
    No one is arguing whether he is a billionaire or not. The question was whether he could come up with $150M, and even that is now a moot point.
    abouthsu, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    10-11-13 01:39 PM
    What's your point here?
    No one is arguing whether he is a billionaire or not. The question was whether he could come up with $150M, and even that is now a moot point.
    Nobody said he could come up with $150M or not, I only said 150M means something to him.

Anyway there is not point to argue on this, It is clear he need PE firms' help to launch any kind of bid here, and he does not have it so far.
    10-11-13 01:43 PM
    How do you that???
    and he does not have it so far[/B].
    10-11-13 02:07 PM
    What's your point here?

Several people stated that Mike had Billions, some think that he was going to personally write a check for BlackBerry.

I was just pointing out that he "might not" be a Billionaire, and even if he were he doesn't have the liquid assets to buy BB. He would need someone else to back a buyout, and he didn't provide any indicate of who or whom that might be.
    10-11-13 02:34 PM
    Several people stated that Mike had Billions, some think that he was going to personally write a check for BlackBerry.

I was just pointing out that he "might not" be a Billionaire, and even if he were he doesn't have the liquid assets to buy BB. He would need someone else to back a buyout, and he didn't provide any indicate of who or whom that might be.
    he was a bn when rimm traded at 100+, not any more.

He was talking to Blackstone and carlyle to backup his bid, but it seems nobody was really interested.
    10-11-13 02:51 PM
    It's Friday, it's a long weekend and I do believe a beer or three is in order. Have a great weekend.

Posted via CB10
    10-11-13 02:52 PM
113,256 ... 20992100210121022103 ...