Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Here is the filing:

Schedule 13D

Adding up the % owned are they over 20%?
    10-10-13 01:41 PM
    I would rather see BB comes out in one piece, but it might be ok in pieces.
    1. BBM Inc. Secured messaging, voice calls, video calls, Social groups, and web browsing for all smartphones and computers.
    2. BB MDM Inc. for corps and governments.
    3. BB M2M Inc. for cars, appliances, homes, and other machines.
    4. BB handsets Inc. making best phones (best sounds, best reception) for all OS (Androids, WP, and BB10).
    5. BB Clouds Inc. Secured storage for everybody.
    6. BB design Inc. Licensing patents and designs to other handset makers (keyboard, antenna, etc).
    7. BB Software Inc. Customized OSes based on QNX, and Apps (including Docs to go, BB travel, etc) for all.

OK. I am just being delusional...
    You mean like a BlackBerry Holding with several participations (bidders) in subsidiaries?
    Oh ... (even if I won't make so many "partitions" ) ... we might be two delusionals here ...
    plasmid_boy and bungaboy like this.
    10-10-13 01:45 PM
    I wonder if all of these rumors regarding interested parties are just part of the consortium? Thus, Google, Microsoft, the founders, FF and et all are going to steal bbry for a song. After going private then the parties can pay each other for assets of bbry or setup royalty or licensing agreements.
    10-10-13 01:51 PM
    I don't think so. I think in fact this is good for shareholders because it shows someone is thinking about value for shareholders. The fiduciary duty of the board is to the company, not the shareholders. They are interested in keeping it alive. But for any sharheolder not participating in the FF deal, there is no upside for the deal, if, in fact, in a breakup, more value is unlocked. So the spin on the news should not be negative. It shows management has plan B, C, etc. It all depends on the value of the parts at the end of the day...
    Legally speaking you are incorrect. The Board's duty is toward the shareholder. The "company" is nothing but a piece of paper filed with the government. In fact, now that the board is in sell mode, their duty has shifted and their decisions are subject to greater scrutiny. The board must try to return maximum value to the shareholders. They must weigh everything against the $9 offer (assuming this is a real offer that would close).
    10-10-13 01:51 PM
    Now we know who was buying on those big dips lol

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 01:52 PM
    Keep in mind that a purchase by Mike Lazaridis can't happen. We've been told that repeatedly by certain "non-delusional" people in this very thread.
    10-10-13 01:56 PM
    When do we get an updated picture on ownership?

Posted via CB10
    I wonder if all of these rumors regarding interested parties are just part of the consortium? Thus, Google, Microsoft, the founders, FF and et all are going to steal bbry for a song. After going private then the parties can pay each other for assets of bbry or setup royalty or licensing agreements.
    [rosy glasses on]
    Lazaridis is the co-founder of BBRY. He's not back to sell it in piece. If you've ever own a company, you know it's (like) your flesh and blood babe.
    Watsda scenario isn't 100% clear. But his track record is free of speculative dismentling ...
    [rosy glasses off]

Now, it's all also about money ... and even a saint can turn evil when dealing with 6 figures ...
    Guys and gals, I haven't had a chance to read the 13D yet, but NORMALLY when you enter into an agreement like they have, you you are considered to have beneficial ownership of each other's shares too. Read it carefully if you have a minute, it may be 8% total, not 16 or 20%. YMMV and I am not certain of this..... They may not have bought any more shares, just combined them....
    What happened to this thread? I used to have a hard time keeping up with it, now there is nothing new when I hit the refresh button. Where are the regular contributors??!! My own contribution is useless!!
    Did I ear someone asking for action ?
    Here you go !
    (but, as usual, I have to feed my princesses ! CU later gang !)

oh ... BTW : WE ARE GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN ! (note to vinegar pissers : this is a reccuring gag).
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg  
    10-10-13 02:01 PM
    Guys and gals, I haven't had a chance to read the 13D yet, but NORMALLY when you enter into an agreement like they have, you you are considered to have beneficial ownership of each other's shares too. Read it carefully if you have a minute, it may be 8% total, not 16 or 20%. YMMV and I am not certain of this..... They may not have bought any more shares, just combined them....
    I do believe you're correct. Even just a glance at the second page makes it clear that (almost certainly) you are exactly correct. So they own about 8% combined, not each.
    10-10-13 02:04 PM
    This is the interesting party in the filing:

"... in 2012, Mr. Lazaridis acquired 3,163,895 Shares using 2063227 Ontario Inc. through open market purchases for aggregate consideration of approximately $50 million."

So the 3 plus million shares bought through the open market by Mr. Lazaridis has an average purchasing price of $15.8 per shares.

Does anyone believe that Mr. Lazaridis would vote "Yes" and gave up his shares at $9.0?

What is your answer for the question?

Mine is "NO".
    10-10-13 02:06 PM
    I do believe you're correct. Even just a glance at the second page makes it clear that (almost certainly) you are exactly correct. So they own about 8% combined, not each.
    I haven't run all the listed company numbers to see which ones match up, but it does look to be over 8% total.
    10-10-13 02:10 PM

"... in 2012, Mr. Lazaridis acquired 3,163,895 Shares using 2063227 Ontario Inc. through open market purchases for aggregate consideration of approximately $50 million."

So the 3 plus million shares bought through the open market by Mr. Lazaridis has an average purchasing price of $15.8 per shares.

Does anyone believe that Mr. Lazaridis would vote "Yes" and gave up his shares at $9.0?

Mine is "NO".
    Prem has the same issue....
    10-10-13 02:10 PM
    Yet, this is what S.A subscribers received in their mailbox, won't hurt to keep it foggy for a while
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png  
    Randeman, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    10-10-13 02:12 PM
    I haven't run all the listed company numbers to see which ones match up, but it does look to be over 8% total.
    No, the first entry showing Mike's main shares (and beneficially shared for voting purposes by Fregin et al) has a footnote stating that it includes all the other shares listed thereafter. The combined total is 8.0% plus/minus change.

Basically it's a really stupid way to communicate the info, but I'm sure OMGitworks is right.

Edit: Chris U confirms with his same interpretation: http://crackberry.com/mike-lazaridis...ion-blackberry

Mine is "NO".
    Prem's break-even is $ 16.50/shr when he gets paid the breakup fee so Mike L will be looking to top that mark in any deal that is final. I find it interesting that they aren't working together considering they are both a big part of the University of Waterloo. You do have to believe all of the media who say the company isn't worth its cash today, don't ever forget that gem. I guess this will be a reverse bid where everyone bids less until we have a winner!!
    interesting developments today. Don't mind the idea of Mikey-boy taking back over ....I just hope he has learned to have a bit more of an open mind and he puts the right people in place to keep him in check
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-10-13 02:15 PM
    Some here don't get it.

One of two things will happen.

1) fairfax buys bbry for $9 and the company is not broken up (near term anyway)
    2) a competing offer comes in to buy the whole company.

This whole notion that Prem is not buying BlackBerry is irrational.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 02:15 PM
    From my reading, I believe both are not correct.

It sounds that each of them control independently 39,295,754 shares and owns joint shares of 2384319. So the total shares owned by the two are
    39,295,754 X 2 + 2384319 =80975827

"(a)-(b) Amount beneficially owned:
    Mr. Lazaridis may be deemed to beneficially own 41,680,073 Shares (representing approximately 8.0% of the Issuer’s outstanding Shares), which includes (i) 21,176,354 Shares held by 1258701, (ii) 3,163,895 Shares held by 2063227, (iii) 455,836 Shares held by Mr. Lazaridis, (iv) 146,478 Shares held by the Family Trust, (v) 685,196 Shares held by 2384320, (vi) 4,140,128 Shares held by 2384318 and (vii) 11,912,186 Shares held by the Fregin Persons. By virtue of their relationship with Mr. Lazaridis, as described in Item 2, each of 1258701, 2063227, the Family Trust, 2384320 and 2384318 may be deemed to share voting power and dispositive power with Mr. Lazaridis with respect to the Shares held by them. In addition, by virtue of the Agreement, 2384319 and Mr. Lazaridis may be deemed to share with the Fregin Persons beneficial ownership of the Fregin Shares. Each Lazaridis Person disclaims beneficial ownership with respect to any of the Fregin Shares.
    Mr. Fregin may be deemed to beneficially own 41,680,073 Shares (representing approximately 8.0% of the Issuer’s outstanding Shares), which includes (i) 703,080 Shares held by Mr. Fregin, (ii) 11,209,106 Shares held by 1258702 and (iii) 29,767,887 Shares held by the Lazaridis Persons. By virtue of their relationship, as described in Item 2, 1258702 may be deemed to share voting power and dispositive power with Mr. Fregin with respect to the Shares owned by it. In addition, by virtue of the Agreement, each Fregin Person may be deemed to share with the Lazaridis Persons beneficial ownership of the Lazaridis Shares. Each Fregin Person disclaims beneficial ownership with respect to any of the Lazaridis Shares.
    The filing of this Schedule 13D shall not be construed as an admission that any of the Reporting Persons is the beneficial owner of any securities covered by the Schedule 13D."
    Randeman, danprown, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    10-10-13 02:16 PM
    Please don't trade or hold me to this, I am on the fly, but it would appear it is 8% TOTAL.

Mike still has his 30M shares, Mr Fregin has his 700k and new entity 1258702 Ontario Limited, with Fregin as an authorized signatory had 11M+ "new" shares that haven't shown up anywhere before. I don't know who owns that entity or anything about Mr. F, but that entity seems to be the new money/shares that got them to 8%. Not sure if it is all his $$ or an investment vehicle or what, but if you track that down, it might be helpful.

This is on the fly, still good news no matter if I am wrong or right. GLTA.

P.S. don't trust any media report good or bad, it seems some of them didn't bother to read the 13D or don't know how to...
    10-10-13 02:17 PM
    Chris Umiastowski opined that "Lazaridis already held over 5%, but the new document says that he’s teaming up with Fregin, and they jointly own 8% of the stock."
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    10-10-13 02:18 PM

Mine is "NO".
    Matters on his opinion of what value is. These people aren't stupid amateurs that care if they take a loss.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 02:19 PM
    From my reading, I believe both are not correct.

It sounds that each of them control independently 39,295,754 shares and owns joint shares of 2384319. So the total shares owned by the two are
    39,295,754 X 2 + 2384319 =80975827

"(a)-(b) Amount beneficially owned:
    Mr. Lazaridis may be deemed to beneficially own 41,680,073 Shares (representing approximately 8.0% of the Issuer’s outstanding Shares), which includes (i) 21,176,354 Shares held by 1258701, (ii) 3,163,895 Shares held by 2063227, (iii) 455,836 Shares held by Mr. Lazaridis, (iv) 146,478 Shares held by the Family Trust, (v) 685,196 Shares held by 2384320, (vi) 4,140,128 Shares held by 2384318 and (vii) 11,912,186 Shares held by the Fregin Persons. By virtue of their relationship with Mr. Lazaridis, as described in Item 2, each of 1258701, 2063227, the Family Trust, 2384320 and 2384318 may be deemed to share voting power and dispositive power with Mr. Lazaridis with respect to the Shares held by them. In addition, by virtue of the Agreement, 2384319 and Mr. Lazaridis may be deemed to share with the Fregin Persons beneficial ownership of the Fregin Shares. Each Lazaridis Person disclaims beneficial ownership with respect to any of the Fregin Shares.
    Mr. Fregin may be deemed to beneficially own 41,680,073 Shares (representing approximately 8.0% of the Issuer’s outstanding Shares), which includes (i) 703,080 Shares held by Mr. Fregin, (ii) 11,209,106 Shares held by 1258702 and (iii) 29,767,887 Shares held by the Lazaridis Persons. By virtue of their relationship, as described in Item 2, 1258702 may be deemed to share voting power and dispositive power with Mr. Fregin with respect to the Shares owned by it. In addition, by virtue of the Agreement, each Fregin Person may be deemed to share with the Lazaridis Persons beneficial ownership of the Lazaridis Shares. Each Fregin Person disclaims beneficial ownership with respect to any of the Lazaridis Shares.
    The filing of this Schedule 13D shall not be construed as an admission that any of the Reporting Persons is the beneficial owner of any securities covered by the Schedule 13D."

They are sharing voting rights of each others shares without having any ownership in those shares. There are only 8.0% of the outstanding shares between them totaling 40 million plus shares. Neither have purchased any shares. Not too clear is it? They are likely to go over the 10% mark and stake their claim to the sale of the company. No surprise there!
    10-10-13 02:21 PM
    Thinking of doubling down. Said I wouldn't invest anymore. Average at 15. Jmmm will have to have a think.

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 02:22 PM
113,250 ... 20952096209720982099 ...