View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    If you read the article, it means nothing.

Basically he said CPP is trying to make money for its 18M retired peoples, not for saving bbry.
    And it seems he thinks even at $9 it is big risk to invest at bbry.

Just like any other traders.
    It just means - besides whatever the bidders want to do with their investment - that the fact that has been opposed to us ("No one would buy this dying company") was very speculative, to say the least
    Some here wrote that we will see various offer appear in the coming weeks and accelerate until the "final bids" are studyed by the committee.
    ... sometimes "we" don't only wear rosy glasses
    10-09-13 02:43 PM
    If you read the article, it means nothing.

Basically he said CPP is trying to make money for its 18M retired peoples, not for saving bbry.
    And it seems he thinks even at $9 it is big risk to invest at bbry.

Just like any other traders.
    yeah OK, but still the market is waking up and that is for real, means something.
    10-09-13 02:49 PM
    yeah OK, but still the market is waking up and that is for real, means something.
    I agree it means something. I have noticed bottom feeders with deep pockets on the CDN exchange for several days now. The US is a little more difficult to spot because of the volume of transactions. My prediction is that Fairfax will not get Blackberry. There is too much information currently that suggests something else is happening. I'm calling it a buy at this price and will also suggest that buyers could stand to gain a fair profit within a relatively short time. I would put the probability of me being right at about 80%. We could see a trading halt as soon as tomorrow. Note: If the USA triggers a global financial meltdown, all bets are off.
    Try not to sell at the first jump. I think Morgan was right several weeks back when he suggested that it's important to hold on and let it play out. Will Fairfax counter or will a third buyer hit the table(or the cow bell).
    10-09-13 03:15 PM
    Remember pension funds by their very nature have to be risk averse.

I'm sure there are certain stocks which don't fit their risk profile.

I am not surprised by his statement. I think we all can admit BBRY is high risk.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 03:16 PM
    Remember pension funds by their very nature have to be risk averse.

I'm sure there are certain stocks which don't fit their risk profile.

I am not surprised by his statement. I think we all can admit BBRY is high risk.

Posted via CB10
    the Canadian pension funds have been watching BB for some 20 years now, if BB does not fit their profile they would not even consider BB
    10-09-13 03:20 PM
    Morgan, any thought on ACAD sp today. seem like people are dumping big time. Is there any bad news and why it been down so much?
    if it going down again tomorrow I am out. Thx
    10-09-13 03:29 PM
    Silver, I hear you, but maybe they consider it more risky now. I don't know how they see these things.

Posted via CB10
    silversun10 likes this.
    10-09-13 03:38 PM
    I agree it means something. I have noticed bottom feeders with deep pockets on the CDN exchange for several days now. The US is a little more difficult to spot because of the volume of transactions. My prediction is that Fairfax will not get Blackberry. There is too much information currently that suggests something else is happening. I'm calling it a buy at this price and will also suggest that buyers could stand to gain a fair profit within a relatively short time. I would put the probability of me being right at about 80%. We could see a trading halt as soon as tomorrow. Note: If the USA triggers a global financial meltdown, all bets are off.
    Try not to sell at the first jump. I think Morgan was right several weeks back when he suggested that it's important to hold on and let it play out. Will Fairfax counter or will a third buyer hit the table(or the cow bell).
    Was that back when if was at $18 a share, maybe at $17 a share, possible at $16 a share...... I like Morgan analyst of the stock, but the way BBRY has "performed" just shows that it defies all reason.

This is a CRAP SHOOT, nobody really knows what is going on. But I tend to put more stock in the reports where names are named and not much in the ones where they say "it's been reported"...
    10-09-13 03:38 PM
    Morgan, any thought on ACAD sp today. seem like people are dumping big time. Is there any bad news and why it been down so much?
    if it going down again tomorrow I am out. Thx
    Nothing wrong with the company at all, there have been a large number of pharmas hit really hard now that the government is closed. All of these stocks have rallied for the whole year and large Funds hold big profits in them. If the US government doesn't raise the debt ceiling by Oct 17th, look for a major shake up in the general market. As for ACAD the stock has fallen below its 50-dma here, I went back into it yesterday at $ 22.50/shr by selling naked puts so my first purchase is in the low $ 19.00's, I'm going to do the same thing over again until I hold my block of stock again. Think of how many investors buy these stocks without a game plan or an understanding of how one sided a stock can get when it goes up for months at a time. That's why I sold my block last week, too many thinking it is a one way street. Now I'll repurchase my shares in the days ahead.
    Randeman, sidhuk, fedakd and 1 others like this.
    10-09-13 03:50 PM
    I think the fact that BBRY has been settling outstanding litigation awful quick also means something is a-brewing (whether good or bad for investors).

fedakd and anon(4086547) like this.
    10-09-13 03:54 PM
    What's funny is that this bloomberg info is not relayed - even after hours - on Nasdaq website ... Instead ... well ... Go figure.

See also the detail of last transactions ... a ~150K+ trade ?
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg   The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png  
    Soumaila Somtore and bungaboy like this.
    10-09-13 04:53 PM
    Just in case you missed it: Rogers will sell the Z30 due to customer backslash.
    Well done, cousins !
    Rogers says its customers have spoken, decides it will sell BlackBerry Z30 - Yahoo Finance Canada
    10-09-13 05:11 PM
    Well done, cousins !
    Rogers says its customers have spoken, decides it will sell BlackBerry Z30 - Yahoo Finance Canada
    You beat me to it. The people have spoken...well done!
    10-09-13 05:16 PM
    Well done, cousins !
    Nice!

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 05:24 PM
    10-09-13 05:37 PM
    Thanks Morgan, you replied is very soothing. By the way you sound, it look like it may even drop further right. Stupid me got in at high peak $29 imagine that. May be I am going to sell half tomorrow and buy back if it drop further, but ER getting closer that's a bit worried some. Thanks for your time and value info.
    10-09-13 05:44 PM
    Well done, cousins !
    I having issues with my bluetooth connection with my truck, it breaks up sometimes, on the other hand, the bbm call quality without wifi is amazing. I wish xbbm comes with that. then the game is over for any other chat thingy. it feels like being there. i don't Wanna make a regular phone call to my bbm contacts. still learning curve. and OS need more tweaks.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-09-13 05:50 PM
    Now it seems pretty clear except Goog or another PE there will be no more bidder.

BlackBerry Is Said to Warm to Idea of a Breakup - Bloomberg

As expected, It just does not make any sense for those listed name to make an offer for bbry except goog/samsung, but it seems Samsung is out of the picture, Samsung just does not want to make large deals, their largest deal(800M) failed badly before.
    10-09-13 06:12 PM
    Morgan, (yes it's me again! ;-)) why do rival companies seem uninterested (almost scared?) of buying BlackBerry as a whole?! Surely it's not too much money for heavyweights like Google, Samsung, Cisco, Microsoft or IBM. They could 'easily' justify the purchase towards their shareholders.. or not?

Is it BlackBerry's problems, oh so often portrayed by the media, that worries other companies? The media might shift focus towards the buyer, or... ?

Should the Canadian Government be a concern to BlackBerry (and shareholders) if the secure network (just to name one asset) was to be sold off to Samsung or one of the American competitors? This would kill the possibility of a complete sale, and buyers would be aware of that. Also, it would limit BlackBerry's options, unfortunately.

I know you're a big fan of the idea of licensing patents to Samsung, and BlackBerry paying a royalty to them in return for them taking on the hardware risk.

I've now realized that this could very well be the most favourable outcome given the situation BlackBerry is in. But if they were to come up with this transaction, they never really believed in going private, did they?

Anyway, I would feel more comfortable if a buyer would show interest in BlackBerry as a whole. Prices can be negotiated. Right now (could change in a heart beat though :-)) it feels like BlackBerry as a whole might be less attractive than we think. Whatever the reason may be..

Anyway, like I said: one headline could change sentiment immediately. I just hope we'll see some signals soon!! Otherwise, I'll keep praying that Bloomberg is wrong, and PW gets his funding together

Posted via CB10
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    10-09-13 06:18 PM
    Thanks Morgan, you replied is very soothing. By the way you sound, it look like it may even drop further right. Stupid me got in at high peak $29 imagine that. May be I am going to sell half tomorrow and buy back if it drop further, but ER getting closer that's a bit worried some. Thanks for your time and value info.
    Sorry to hear you got into this stock at $ 29.00/shr, I first started talking about it at $ 6.00/shr and we have owned it for 3 years at lower levels. There are huge profits in this one and someone is selling out to broaden their investments; that is my guess. I sold mine last week because I was worried about a big drop in the short-term, now, I'm actively buying them all back! So you would be selling to me. I don't think it can go much lower, and it can pop back $ 5.00/shr at any time. I would suggest you hold your position, average down and look at it again in 9 months. Nothing has changed with the company. GL
    10-09-13 06:32 PM
    Morgan, (yes it's me again! ;-)) why do rival companies seem uninterested (almost scared?) of buying BlackBerry as a whole?! Surely it's not too much money for heavyweights like Google, Samsung, Cisco, Microsoft or IBM. They could 'easily' justify the purchase towards their shareholders.. or not?

Is it BlackBerry's problems, oh so often portrayed by the media, that worries other companies? The media might shift focus towards the buyer, or... ?

Should the Canadian Government be a concern to BlackBerry (and shareholders) if the secure network (just to name one asset) was to be sold off to Samsung or one of the American competitors? This would kill the possibility of a complete sale, and buyers would be aware of that. Also, it would limit BlackBerry's options, unfortunately.

I know you're a big fan of the idea of licensing patents to Samsung, and BlackBerry paying a royalty to them in return for them taking on the hardware risk.

I've now realized that this could very well be the most favourable outcome given the situation BlackBerry is in. But if they were to come up with this transaction, they never really believed in going private, did they?

Anyway, I would feel more comfortable if a buyer would show interest in BlackBerry as a whole. Prices can be negotiated. Right now (could change in a heart beat though :-)) it feels like BlackBerry as a whole might be less attractive than we think. Whatever the reason may be..

Anyway, like I said: one headline could change sentiment immediately. I just hope we'll see some signals soon!! Otherwise, I'll keep praying that Bloomberg is wrong, and PW gets his funding together

Posted via CB10
    BL was seldom wrong, it is the the most accurate in the street.
    Why would Samsung license BBOS, only the fans think BBOS is super. Andriod is free and Samsung has its own OS Tizen under develop. Samsung would only interested in bb's patents.
    It just does not make any sense for cico/sap/intc/lg to make an offer for the whole co.
    Only goog/Samsung make some sense to make an offer, but still the hardware part is hardly desired.

But it may be not a bad idea to sell in part. if they can sell the patents in 2B and the enterprise BES/security network/subscriber in another 2B, plus the cash, it is already 6.5B. They can just sell the remaining hardware/OS to lenova or someone interested for another 500M or so.

But the problem here is it is hard to differentiate all the parts, say if you sell patents to co A and BES to co B, what about the patents related to BES? and what about the patents related to BB10?

Actually selling in part could create the most value for shareholders.
    10-09-13 06:36 PM
    I think you answered many of your own questions. BBRY as a whole is a tough proposition for most companies. Most don't want the headaches of the entire company and don't need many of the parts of BBRY. Throw in the prospect of the Canadian government potentially delaying or killing a potential deal and it gets worst. Many here won't agree, but I think it s fair to say the handset part of the business is a zero sum game at best. The lack of excitement for the Z30 and xBBM fiasco show how bad it really is. I don't think they will be able to sell it if they break BBRY into pieces for sale. Maybe I am wrong, but I think perception has become reality on that issue. So that leaves patents, software, services and few other good pieces some company may want. xBBM is not the answer. The issue is once you start carving up the company you have to have enough people to dance with to make it work. Most of the logical potential partners have already hooked up worth someone else or have problems of their own. I still remain shocked that the street thinks PW is full of it and won't trade BBRY up near $9. GLTA - but I am very concerned that BBRY may just whither on the vine and die at this point. They need a deal and they need it soon.
    10-09-13 06:36 PM
    I think you answered many of your own questions. BBRY as a whole is a tough proposition for most companies. Most don't want the headaches of the entire company and don't need many of the parts of BBRY. Throw in the prospect of the Canadian government potentially delaying or killing a potential deal and it gets worst. Many here won't agree, but I think it s fair to say the handset part of the business is a zero sum game at best. The lack of excitement for the Z30 and xBBM fiasco show how bad it really is. I don't think they will be able to sell it if they break BBRY into pieces for sale. Maybe I am wrong, but I think perception has become reality on that issue. So that leaves patents, software, services and few other good pieces some company may want. xBBM is not the answer. The issue is once you start carving up the company you have to have enough people to dance with to make it work. Most of the logical potential partners have already hooked up worth someone else or have problems of their own. I still remain shocked that the street thinks PW is full of it and won't trade BBRY up near $9. GLTA - but I am very concerned that BBRY may just whither on the vine and die at this point. They need a deal and they need it soon.
    Personally I do not believe PW could not find finance to back his offer, but it seems the street thinks so, so it is weird, or am I wrong?

Sell in part may be not a bad idea at all, if the overall price tag is < $9, I do not think PW would allow that.

If it is more than $9, then he could not say anything about it except he can up his offer to match that.

But you need some wisdom to make the "sale in part" work.
    10-09-13 06:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    _dimi_!

I believe the media are simply speculating, they don't have a clue what large companies are doing in this matter. Sure, there is some risk for certain buyers like Lenovo purchasing everything, but BBRY is looking at all possibilities and not just selling the company. Lenovo could sign a deal to make phones for BlackBerry, they could license patents and try to enter the NA market and this would be enough for BBRY to re-emerge as an ongoing business. I personally like Samsung making phones for BlackBerry, and BBRY would just purchase phones and mark them up as the BlackBerry brand. Samsung has economies of scale and could produce BB's at a killer price allowing BBRY to market under far more favourable terms. Samsung needs patents, they spend more each year than it would cost them to just lease patents from BBRY or buy the whole company.

Again, I see all of the nonsense in the news today as pure speculation, nothing more. No one who is in active talks with BlackBerry about partnering up or buying assets is talking to the media I can assure you of that! The less you hear about CSCO, IBM and MSFT the better, this means the system works and deals are under review. Mike L wants the company, Prem can finance this buy easily. He is so confident he can buy it he has stated that he wants to form a shell company, drop the ownership of BBRY into it and retain 30% of the company while not spending a dime. He said if the financing doesn't come through by the cut-off date (for that outrageous idea) he will complete the purchase by pledging BBRY cash and finance it later. He is determined to buy the company and he'll get if we vote for his offer. Those in the game know he is serious, it's the media that is speculating and bashing the company for clicks. The deal will be going through and I believe several others want it in part or whole. Again, for Samsung, they might want the patents and will sign a deal to make handsets, that's what I want to see, Heck, I'm far more concerned about the launch of BB 10.2 and BBM=X then I ever will be about Prem and the others!
    10-09-13 06:51 PM
    BL was seldom wrong, it is the the most accurate in the street.
    Why would Samsung license BBOS, only the fans think BBOS is super. Andriod is free and Samsung has its own OS Tizen under develop. Samsung would only interested in bb's patents.
    It just does not make any sense for cico/sap/intc/lg to make an offer for the whole co.
    Only goog/Samsung make some sense to make an offer, but still the hardware part is hardly desired.

But it may be not a bad idea to sell in part. if they can sell the patents in 2B and the enterprise BES/security network/subscriber in another 2B, plus the cash, it is already 6.5B. They can just sell the remaining hardware/OS to lenova or someone interested for another 500M or so.

But the problem here is it is hard to differentiate all the parts, say if you sell patents to co A and BES to co B, what about the patents related to BES? and what about the patents related to BB10?

Actually selling in part could create the most value for shareholders.
    I would *think* that BlackBerry's patents, secure network (confirmed through exclusive contracts), potential for x-BBM (it works for some lucky iPhone users) would be attractive enough to consider a bid for the entire company. Especially if a direct competitor is interested in the same assets, no?

They'd get 2.6 billion in cash (excl. R&D grant, tax credit, and hopefully cash from the written-down inventory), buildings worth in excess of 1 billion (mostly in Canada, where Google and Samsung are looking to expand), BB10 as a Tizen or Android alternative, QNX potential, Paratek,...

They could write down the remaining inventory and close down the hardware unit without losing a penny. If that's what they're scared off...?

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 06:59 PM
113,256 ... 20922093209420952096 ...