View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    http://www.bnn.ca/News/2013/10/08/Ot...erry-sold.aspx

The Conservative government will be watching for any national security implications in the event that BlackBerry Ltd. (BB-T8.260.060.73%)(BBRY-Q7.970.000.00%) is sold, says federal Treasury Board President Tony Clement.

Speaking on the sidelines of the Government Technology Exhibition and Conference ? where technology companies present their products to government officials ? Clement said Ottawa?s position for now is to let events play out.

?What we want is obviously a stable environment,? he said, when asked if the government wants BlackBerry to remain Canadian-owned. ?I think that we?ll let the marketplace respond. We have a role to play obviously which involves national security and making sure that what occurs is in the public interest and we take that responsibility seriously. It?s not my place here to speculate on what would or would not be inside or offside that. So we?ll let it play out in the marketplace and if and when the government has to respond, we certainly will.?

Earlier this week, Ottawa rejected a proposed foreign takeover of a division of Manitoba Telecom Services Inc. (MBT-T29.74-2.62-8.1%) by Egypt?s Accelero Capital Holdings on national security grounds.

Federal Industry Minister James Moore issued a statement that said his decision was based on a review of the national security provisions of the Investment Canada Act, which governs foreign takeovers.

The federal industry minister is the senior minister responsible for such decisions. Clement is a former industry minister. As President of the Treasury Board, he is responsible for government-wide information technology projects.

Clement said he is confident that Canada?s technology sector will remain strong, including in Waterloo, Ont. where Blackberry Ltd is headquartered.

?Regardless of whatever happens, Waterloo has a great future and there?s going to be some great new products that are going to be springing up either in Waterloo, or Toronto or Vancouver or Montreal. Wherever we?ve got bright people working on innovation,? he said.

Clement said the government remains hopeful that Blackberry will ?get through? its restructuring process.

?They?ve got a lot of customers, tens of millions of customers around the world,? he said. ?They?ve had success in the past and we?re all very hopeful that they will get through to the other side of what is going to be obviously a restructuring of their mission and of their product, whatever happens.?

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 02:31 PM
    Oh God.. when politicians get involved.. :-)

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    10-08-13 02:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is a different scenario than others that fall under the act. This has a direct impact on national security, and not only for Canada.
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-08-13 02:42 PM
    There is a reason why the former mobile phone leader like MOT/NOKIA/BBRY failed.

The main cause is it is more and more a software leading shifting away from hardware and manufacturing.

That is why we see the big 3 left now. It is just too hard for any other company in the world to compete on software vs. MS/Goog/AAPL.
    10-08-13 02:45 PM
    Here is some TA for you,

The DOW is about to a plunge, probably about time, this overbought market needs to crash a little bit. Looks like a head and shoulders is forming, and we closed today close to the neckline, should bounce off of it slightly and then another strong dip. Looking for support around 13250.

I am just curious on what this selloff will do to the BBRY shares myself
    Attachment 196265
    Following up on this call, time to sell guys.......
    10-08-13 02:50 PM
    Oh guys... I got it. it's bigger, it's faster, sound is amazing, screen really cool (unable to make a difference With Z10/Q10 quality.
    Oops, I'm OT. But now going to HIT THE COWBELL hard !
    Cheers gang!

P.S: it=Z30 !

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 02:55 PM
    Following up on this call, time to sell guys.......
    Thanks, but... no.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-08-13 02:56 PM
    Ottawa to probe national security implications if BlackBerry sold - BNN News

The Conservative government will be watching for any national security implications in the event that BlackBerry Ltd. (BB-T8.260.060.73%)(BBRY-Q7.970.000.00%) is sold, says federal Treasury Board President Tony Clement.

Speaking on the sidelines of the Government Technology Exhibition and Conference ? where technology companies present their products to government officials ? Clement said Ottawa?s position for now is to let events play out.

?What we want is obviously a stable environment,? he said, when asked if the government wants BlackBerry to remain Canadian-owned. ?I think that we?ll let the marketplace respond. We have a role to play obviously which involves national security and making sure that what occurs is in the public interest and we take that responsibility seriously. It?s not my place here to speculate on what would or would not be inside or offside that. So we?ll let it play out in the marketplace and if and when the government has to respond, we certainly will.?

Earlier this week, Ottawa rejected a proposed foreign takeover of a division of Manitoba Telecom Services Inc. (MBT-T29.74-2.62-8.1%) by Egypt?s Accelero Capital Holdings on national security grounds.

Federal Industry Minister James Moore issued a statement that said his decision was based on a review of the national security provisions of the Investment Canada Act, which governs foreign takeovers.

The federal industry minister is the senior minister responsible for such decisions. Clement is a former industry minister. As President of the Treasury Board, he is responsible for government-wide information technology projects.

Clement said he is confident that Canada?s technology sector will remain strong, including in Waterloo, Ont. where Blackberry Ltd is headquartered.

?Regardless of whatever happens, Waterloo has a great future and there?s going to be some great new products that are going to be springing up either in Waterloo, or Toronto or Vancouver or Montreal. Wherever we?ve got bright people working on innovation,? he said.

Clement said the government remains hopeful that Blackberry will ?get through? its restructuring process.

?They?ve got a lot of customers, tens of millions of customers around the world,? he said. ?They?ve had success in the past and we?re all very hopeful that they will get through to the other side of what is going to be obviously a restructuring of their mission and of their product, whatever happens.?

Posted via CB10
    of course we have known that all along, and that is also why BB lobbied Ottawa.
    10-08-13 03:10 PM
    This is a different scenario than others that fall under the act. This has a direct impact on national security, and not only for Canada.
    In the USA:
    1. When banks collapsed, government gave them billions.
    2. When housing collapsed, government gave people billions.
    3. When automobile industry collapsed, government gave them billions.

If I am the Canadian government, I would buy $4billion worth of BB shares. Demand 5% dividend 3 year, 10% after that, until BB pays back the $4billion in full plus interests.
    Potential outcome: BB gets to survive through the transition, people keep their jobs, students see a future in tech, tax payers make money.
    Rationale for doing this: a) national security and b) economic stability.
    10-08-13 03:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Or lawyers:

Glancy Binkow & Goldberg LLP Announces Class Action Lawsuit Against BlackBerry Limited

Newman Ferrara LLP Announces Securities Class Action Against BlackBerry Limited and Advises Investors of December 3, 2013 Lead Plaintiff Deadline

Levi & Korsinsky, LLP Announces Class Action Against Blackberry Limited and Its Board of Directors and a Deadline of December 3, 2013 to Seek a Lead Plaintiff Position -- BBRY

Brower Piven Encourages Investors With More Than $250,000 in Losses From Investment in BlackBerry Limited to Contact Brower Piven Before the December 3, 2013 Lead Plaintiff Deadline -- BBRY
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-08-13 03:31 PM
    Oh guys... I got it. it's bigger, it's faster, sound is amazing, screen really cool (unable to make a difference With Z10/Q10 quality.
    Oops, I'm OT. But now going to HIT THE COWBELL hard !
    Cheers gang!

P.S: it=Z30 !

Posted via CB10
    Congrats, and dont forget the battery life.
    10-08-13 03:31 PM
    It was just announced that the law firm of Duewee, Skrewem and Howe will be launching a class action against blackberry for trying to make BB10 work.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 03:33 PM
    Does anyone else find it interesting that the SP suddenly is hovering at $8 for the past couple of days? Last week it was a lot more volatile. Could it be that there has been an agreed to acquisition that has not been announced yet?
    10-08-13 03:36 PM
    Guess BNN read my comment earlier in the day relating to the MTS/Accelero rejected deal and what possible effects it would have on any BlackBerry deal. I win! Lol

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 03:58 PM
    In the end, nobody could really profit by selling phones, you profit from selling software and service, just like current PC industry.

By that, you need mass volume.
    You might be right that commoditization (is that a real word?) could cut hardware margins.
    But cars were commoditized since Henry Ford built the first Model-T nearly a hundred years ago. Today, Lexus couldn't build enough LFAs (>$300K each), Porsche and other high end car makers can't keep up with demand.
    Now, imagine a phone with the best security, smoothest and fastest OS, best built quality, and most fashionable (symbol of wealth, status, etc). But it cost 10x more than a commoditized phone. Would you not think that it would have market and that it could make money? Think of a $10 cotton shirt vs a $80 Polo. Or a $30 leather handbag vs a $3,000. Louis Vuitton.
    sidhuk, bungaboy and Randeman like this.
    10-08-13 04:07 PM
    Congrats, and dont forget the battery life.
    How do you like it so far? Any issues?
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    10-08-13 04:10 PM
    Can somebody with 10.2 test m.questrade.com it doesn't seem to work for me

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    10-08-13 04:28 PM
    Best place to find and hire experienced people is near one of your competitors. Especially helps when they are laying people off by the thousands...
    That is what the headlines would suggest, but I can't help feel that since we heard that Google was expanding to Waterloo, that there was more to it than picking up BlackBerry hitch-hikers.
    Some weeks later, we hear that Google is considering a bid.
    I feel that if Google wanted to decimate BlackBerry, they could use any one of many weapons in their arsenal, but they don't seem to be doing that.

All seems too coincidental, but time will tell.
    10-08-13 04:36 PM
    Can somebody with 10.2 test m.questrade.com it doesn't seem to work for me

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    I think the link is iqmobile.questrade.com

Posted via CB 10 app on my Q10!
    10-08-13 04:41 PM
    That is what the headlines would suggest, but I can't help feel that since we heard that Google was expanding to Waterloo, that there was more to it than picking up BlackBerry hitch-hikers.
    Some weeks later, we hear that Google is considering a bid.
    I feel that if Google wanted to decimate BlackBerry, they could use any one of many weapons in their arsenal, but they don't seem to be doing that.

All seems too coincidental, but time will tell.
    Ok... let's clear this up. Google has been in the K-W area for quite some time now. This is also the tech area of Canada which is beginning to rival Silicon Valley.... The University of Waterloo competes directly with MIT for students.... One of the worlds most respected theoretical physics think tanks is in Waterloo. It is a valuable and strategic region to set up office. Since Google is already here, and the own Motorola, it just makes sense to expand their operations here. There is nothing about the move that has to do with the situation at BlackBerry.
    10-08-13 04:44 PM
    How do you like it so far? Any issues?
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-imageuploadedbycb-forums1381268359.502737.jpg
    Just getting the hang of it. It is a good phone. Battery life is a relief. Probably another couple of days before get my grip on it. Certainly not for people with learning disabilities. Keyboard is creepy. I read the Z30 crash news this morning. Mine have no issue what so ever. Speakers and call quality is amazing. The night time clock is handy. Screen is good.
    10-08-13 04:44 PM
    It was just announced that the law firm of Duewee, Skrewem and Howe will be launching a class action against blackberry for trying to make BB10 work.

Posted via CB10
    Cheatham & Fleesum is waiting in line to join. Assisting is the Law Firm "Dumas & McPhail".
    10-08-13 04:46 PM
    Well, Canada has been lockstep with the US as the Canadian government gave the Canadian banks over 100 Billions too and also pitched in with the auto bailout.

In the USA:
    1. When banks collapsed, government gave them billions.
    2. When housing collapsed, government gave people billions.
    3. When automobile industry collapsed, government gave them billions.

If I am the Canadian government, I would buy $4billion worth of BB shares. Demand 5% dividend 3 year, 10% after that, until BB pays back the $4billion in full plus interests.
    Potential outcome: BB gets to survive through the transition, people keep their jobs, students see a future in tech, tax payers make money.
    Rationale for doing this: a) national security and b) economic stability.
    10-08-13 04:49 PM
    URL: http://www.berryreview.com/2013/10/0...inian-hackers/

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
    Lol

Visiting CB with Z30
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-08-13 05:19 PM
    Well in the latter part on G&M article about national security, there were comments from Leo de Bever:

Meanwhile, one institutional investor says the process to sell BlackBerry has yet to produce a clear plan.

Leo de Bever, CEO of Alberta Investment Management Corp., says he would like to participate in a deal to salvage BlackBerry Ltd. as a Canadian company. But he hasn’t seen a proposal yet that he’s convinced will make money.

“It’s extremely frustrating,” he said. “As a Canadian, I would like to have a solution that gives me profitability and a viable company – hey, why wouldn’t I? But so far, that hasn’t been happening.” Indeed, Mr. de Bever called this “the most bizarre deal I’ve ever been involved in.”

“Everybody’s talking, nobody’s doing,” he said, while acknowledging “maybe there is something brewing that I’m not aware of because it hasn’t surfaced yet.”

So far the only bidder to publicly throw its hat in the ring is Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd., which is currently in the midst of conducting due diligence and has until Nov. 4 to firm up its $9-a-share (U.S.) offer to take BlackBerry private. Fairfax has not named its potential partners in the deal, but CEO Prem Watsa has said that the Toronto-based company has more than enough equity support.

Fairfax had approached Canadian pension plans, in addition to various other financial and industry players, about participating in its offer. New York-based private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management LP is also known to be looking at a potential rival bid.

Mr. de Bever says time is wasting.

“The shame in all this is that this is a huge distraction for BlackBerry itself,” he said. “This company, when you really look at the state it’s in, it will be losing ground if this doesn’t get settled quickly. So anything that’s going to happen better happen quickly, because value is being destroyed.”
    Ottawa to consider national security in a BlackBerry sale - The Globe and Mail
    10-08-13 06:24 PM
113,256 ... 20902091209220932094 ...