View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Well, the Canadian government just nixed the sale of Allstream from MTS to Accelero over "national security concerns" as the government uses Allstream's network. Hmm, can't this argument be made for BlackBerry if a sale were to happen to a foreign entity? Or is the government picking on the Cairo based Accelero?

Btw, Accelero is led by the same guy that help fund Globalive in establishing Wind in Canada, and owned many other Wind properties in Europe and other places.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 09:09 PM
    Well, the Canadian government just nixed the sale of Allstream from MTS to Accelero over "national security concerns" as the government uses Allstream's network. Hmm, can't this argument be made for BlackBerry if a sale were to happen to a foreign entity? Or is the government picking on the Cairo based Accelero?

Btw, Accelero is led by the same guy that help fund Globalive in establishing Wind in Canada, and owned many other Wind properties in Europe and other places.

Interesting.

Posted via CB10

Interesting.
    10-07-13 09:16 PM
    Well, the Canadian government just nixed the sale of Allstream from MTS to Accelero over "national security concerns" as the government uses Allstream's network. Hmm, can't this argument be made for BlackBerry if a sale were to happen to a foreign entity?
    From what I've seen, they often given no particular reason at all.
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    10-07-13 09:26 PM
    As I have said in prior post, foreign firms acquiring Canadian assets or firms will go down the rabbit hole when dealing with Foreign Investment Review rules in Investment Canada Act. The assessment is unpredictable and political.
    leafs123 and danprown like this.
    10-07-13 10:09 PM
    Seeing the condition in egypt right now im not surprised
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-07-13 10:16 PM
    I think this is why Prem is the key.

If he likes an offer, I am sure he can help with the review process, if you know what I mean, if not well it will be even harder. ...

Posted via CB10
    danprown likes this.
    10-08-13 12:16 AM
    BlackBerry Ltd laying off 300 Waterloo-based employees this week BlackBerry Ltd laying off 300 Waterloo-based employees this week | Financial Post
    10-08-13 05:39 AM
    From what I've seen, they often given no particular reason at all.
    They did here, "national security provisions in the investment act".

Oops, here's the link. http://news.gc.ca/web/article-eng.do...09&crtr.tp1D=4
    Last edited by leafs123; 10-08-13 at 08:13 AM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    10-08-13 06:30 AM
    BlackBerry Ltd laying off 300 Waterloo-based employees this week BlackBerry Ltd laying off 300 Waterloo-based employees this week | Financial Post
    Here is the silver lining in this whole thing:

Meanwhile, as BlackBerry struggles to compete in the smartphone arena it pioneered, some of its rivals have announced in recent weeks a larger presence in Waterloo, Ont. � positioning themselves to snap up the technology talent BlackBerry sheds

Google�s smartphone manufacturer Motorola Mobility recently revealed its plans to establish a new engineering office in Kitchener-Waterloo, a roughly 10-minute drive away from the BlackBerry campus. As well, Google announced that Waterloo�s Communitech startup incubator was selected to become one of seven North American hubs to join the Google for Entrepreneurs Tech Hub Network.
    I think the first wave of people that are let go could stand to benifit the most here. They should (depending on skill set and experience) make a semi soft landing back into the workplace.

Time will tell if the community can absorb everyone back in. I no longer worry about if BB will make phones that I can buy, I'm more concerned about my friends and neighbors that will be losing their jobs.
    cjcampbell, Randeman, jxnb and 7 others like this.
    10-08-13 06:50 AM
    They could have easily made the headline say "Previously announced BlackBerry layoffs begin with 300 in Waterloo".

The way the headline is written now, it insinuates that another 300 layoffs have been made on top of the 4500 (if you don't read the article).

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 07:05 AM
    "Make it right, Rogers, carry the Z30!" Canadians react to Rogers' BlackBerry snub | MobileSyrup.com

Incensed Canadians from coast to coast are going online to express their disappointment and frustration at Rogers’ decision not to carry BlackBerry’s latest flagship, the Z30.

The carrier’s Facebook and Twitter accounts have been inundated with customers threatening to move their business elsewhere, despite the fact that Rogers has offered nearly every modern BlackBerry device, including most recently the Z10, Q10 and Q5.

A Rogers representative tweeted in response to the backlash, “We think the 3 Blackberry devices we carry meet our customers’ needs,” and company president, Rob Bruce, claimed to be perplexed at the response. Rogers will not carry the Z30 despite the outpouring of support for the product.

Rogers’ Facebook page is littered with posts, ranging from the constructive to the bizarre. One poster went so far as to accuse Rogers of single-handedly being responsible for BlackBerry’s recent financial troubles, while others are taking a more rational, if a bit too vitriolic approach.

“They need to see this first hand and feel the hurt that they are inflicting on their loyal customers that are being forced to leave in droves because of a decision that every which way you look at it does not make sense,” said Maher Boutros. Below that, poster Smok Yogi shouted, “Make it right rogers carry the z30!”

What’s clear, though, is that BlackBerry pride is still alive and well in Canada, and should the company live on under the Fairfax umbrella, support for the manufacturer will not be far behind.
    10-08-13 08:04 AM
    [QUOTE=Gesig Boek;9296183]I think Blackberry's patent chest is devalued by cross-licensing deals:
    Motorola and RIM settle patent dispute with a good old cross-licensing deal
    RIM loses in patent cross-licensing dispute with Nokia
    Antitrust Concerns Over the $4.5B Apple-Microsoft-RIM Patent Purchase - Patent Law Blog (Patently-O)

Also despite RIM/Blackberry's foundational portfolio they seems to have lost patent suit after patent suit, so whatever they have may not be that valuable or useful.[/QUOTE

BlackBerry, along with all the other players in the mobile arena have to pay a royalty for the WLAN patent held by NOK. You referred to it twice, a single patent and nothing else, to conclude that BlackBerry's patents aren't worth anything. BlackBerry thought they had a deal in 2010 on WLAN, NOK said that was just some past payments made by BB and not a settlement solution ... and they arranged a royalty to settle it. There have been no problems with the Nortel patents to date.

Please provide us with at least a few more patents losses, you have only shown us one to date. Good luck.
    10-08-13 08:10 AM
    Off the top of my head, they had to pay off NTP and they lost a case with Minformation? (unless they were overturned on appeal) - anyone remember any others?
    10-08-13 08:21 AM
    If memory serves me TH discussed this Patent Troll issue at a conference in Toronto last year....the entire "ain't worth nothing" argument is ridiculous. It's worth what someone will pay...we should know reasonably shortly what that figure is.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 08:33 AM
    Hearing that Google interest is confirmed, cisco/sap is not confirmed yet.
    10-08-13 08:51 AM
    Good morning all. Does anyone know what happen to ACAD this morning? it drop almost 2 dollars. Morgan, any thought on this?
    Thx
    10-08-13 08:53 AM
    Cha Ching

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 08:54 AM
    As a shareholder I'm glad Google is interested.

As a BlackBerry user it is very disappointing. Wouldn't touch bb10 after Google infests it with its spyware.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 08:58 AM
    Do you have a source for that, the SP doesn't seem to be reacting, at least not yet.
    10-08-13 09:00 AM
    Good morning all. Does anyone know what happen to ACAD this morning? it drop almost 2 dollars. Morgan, any thought on this?
    Thx
    from your neighbor?
    10-08-13 09:02 AM
    Thx
    There is no news to cause the drop. The stock is held in tight hands and that's how they managed to get it from $ 2.00/shr to $ 30.00/shr. I announced that my family sold out of ACAD a week ago, we have a monster profit in it and other plays look better now. Technically speaking, it was long overdue for a correction back to at least it's 20-ema where it typically trades down to and bounces off. We are there today and solid volume with some big Funds holding huge profits, I'm not surprised to see it drop. They have a $ 1/4 Billion in cash and their product is on target for approval next year. If it can drop down to the $ 22 - $ 23 area, I'm going back in for another block. So far, no news, just an RSI = 80 for weeks will drive it down.
    10-08-13 09:02 AM
    from your neighbor?
    10-08-13 09:03 AM
    Cha Ching

Posted via CB10
    QNX would help Google with their autonomous car effort too. Lots of up side for Google, IMO.
    BB10 could also potentially help Google realize their idea of mobile computing with their Chromebook?
    10-08-13 09:04 AM
    QNX would help Google with their autonomous car effort too. Lots of up side for Google, IMO.
    BB10 could also potentially help Google realize their idea of mobile computing with their Chromebook?
    BB10 for mobile computing?

Google engineers are the best in bay area, so are in the world,
    10-08-13 09:19 AM
    "Make it right, Rogers, carry the Z30!" Canadians react to Rogers' BlackBerry snub | MobileSyrup.com

Incensed Canadians from coast to coast are going online to express their disappointment and frustration at Rogers’ decision not to carry BlackBerry’s latest flagship, the Z30.

The carrier’s Facebook and Twitter accounts have been inundated with customers threatening to move their business elsewhere, despite the fact that Rogers has offered nearly every modern BlackBerry device, including most recently the Z10, Q10 and Q5.

A Rogers representative tweeted in response to the backlash, “We think the 3 Blackberry devices we carry meet our customers’ needs,” and company president, Rob Bruce, claimed to be perplexed at the response. Rogers will not carry the Z30 despite the outpouring of support for the product.

Rogers’ Facebook page is littered with posts, ranging from the constructive to the bizarre. One poster went so far as to accuse Rogers of single-handedly being responsible for BlackBerry’s recent financial troubles, while others are taking a more rational, if a bit too vitriolic approach.

“They need to see this first hand and feel the hurt that they are inflicting on their loyal customers that are being forced to leave in droves because of a decision that every which way you look at it does not make sense,” said Maher Boutros. Below that, poster Smok Yogi shouted, “Make it right rogers carry the z30!”

What’s clear, though, is that BlackBerry pride is still alive and well in Canada, and should the company live on under the Fairfax umbrella, support for the manufacturer will not be far behind.
    I would like to encourage everyone to visit the Rogers facebook page and express your disappointment . Be polite but make it clear you want to see the Z30 on the shelf.
    10-08-13 09:20 AM
113,256 ... 20872088208920902091 ...