View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Wow imagine if it went from here to the 62 cent yearly high lol
    I'm waiting for the BlackBerry comparison lol.

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell, take99 and bungaboy like this.
    10-01-13 10:07 PM
    I have been reading this thread almost daily since Feb. Lost a lot of money since then on my BB shares (3500) but I have derived a great deal of comfort and entertainment from this thread. I have also learned a lot more about investing and a lot about myself. It is amazing how much you can learn about yourself while losing money Thank you all, bull and bear (not troll), for contributing to this thread. Thank you Superfly_FR for starting this thread and sticking with it and thank you so much Morgan for sharing your wisdom with us. I always look forward to your posts as I am sure many do.

I am a 35 year old Canadian and I must admit I have a soft spot for BlackBerry. Aside from my loss, I hate to see what is happening to BlackBerry and the impact to the KW region. Whatever happens, I would prefer that BlackBerry live to fight another day.
    10-01-13 10:27 PM
    We will see. He's not willing to put more in at $9/share, at least not yet publically. That tells me something about what he really thinks. Maybe its a capital or diversification issue but what from I know he's looking for other people's money to do the deal at $9. If he really thought it was worth a lot more, he'll find a way to get it done. I believe him when he says he won't lower his offer. It will be interesting to watch.

I have to say again that I am perplexed at BBRY trading at $8 or below in the face of a $9 offer from someone of PW's reputation. Fascinating.
    After reading the MD&A, I do not believe he would reduce his $9 offer. To be honest, he would not lose a penny to buy bbry at 9 and could potential made a profit with all the money he is losing on bbry right now.

Once he bought the company, the first thing he can do is to auction all the patents, there is no point to hold so many patents if you only sell 5-6M phones per quarter, just pay license fee to the new owner. He can easily grab 1.5~2B there, could be much more considering MOTO/NOK/Nortel/Kodak patents sale.

Yes, BBRY business is bad in Q2, but not as bad as the report shows, and you have to consider all the rumors in this quarter which really scared away some customers.
    Randeman, rarsen and cjcampbell like this.
    10-01-13 10:43 PM
    10-01-13 11:13 PM
    We will see. He's not willing to put more in at $9/share, at least not yet publically. That tells me something about what he really thinks. Maybe its a capital or diversification issue but what from I know he's looking for other people's money to do the deal at $9. If he really thought it was worth a lot more, he'll find a way to get it done. I believe him when he says he won't lower his offer. It will be interesting to watch.

I have to say again that I am perplexed at BBRY trading at $8 or below in the face of a $9 offer from someone of PW's reputation. Fascinating.
    why its trading at $8? so far we only have a LOI, wait when FF makes it official, by then the share price should be higher again.
    Randeman and bungaboy like this.
    10-01-13 11:37 PM
    Analyst Todd Coupland of CIBC World Markets, however, pegs the value of BlackBerry at $12, based on a sum-of-the-parts analysis.

In the wake of the company’s second-quarter loss of almost $1-billion, reported Friday, Mr. Coupland said he believes Fairfax will get the financing needed, and that a rival offer could materialize.
    10-01-13 11:46 PM
    This is really long, but well worth the watch.... (totally OT but still kinda on at the same time?) This kid is 12, autistic, and the now youngest invitee to the Perimeter Institute. For those of you who don't know, the Perimeter Institute is one of the worlds top theoretical physics think tanks. Hawking spends time there every year.

Forget What You Know: Jacob Barnett at TEDxTeen - YouTube
    Last edited by cjcampbell; 10-02-13 at 12:24 AM.
    10-01-13 11:59 PM
    Analyst Todd Coupland of CIBC World Markets, however, pegs the value of BlackBerry at $12, based on a sum-of-the-parts analysis.

In the wake of the company’s second-quarter loss of almost $1-billion, reported Friday, Mr. Coupland said he believes Fairfax will get the financing needed, and that a rival offer could materialize.
    agree with this guy.

I am really wondering they put the 1B loss to just take down the stock price for others coming to bid.

With the 4500 layoffs, they can easily be profitable once the company goes to private.
    10-02-13 12:30 AM
    This is really long, but well worth the watch.... (totally OT but still kinda on at the same time?) This kid is 12, autistic, and the now youngest invitee to the Perimeter Institute. For those of you who don't know, the Perimeter Institute, is one of the worlds top theoretical physics think tanks. Hawking's spends time there every year.

Forget What You Know: Jacob Barnett at TEDxTeen - YouTube
    Thanks.
    I guess it depends on what you do. You wouldn't want a soldier doing this own things rather than following orders. Lol

I asked that everyone in my team to email me three things everyday. 1. What did you think about today that no one thought about before. 2. What ideas did you have today that no one has before. 3. What have you done today that no one has done before.

It's usually tough for students at first because they were good at learning and not really good at thinking beyond what they have learned.

I'm burning midnight oil at work and just taking a break. OK, back to work...LOL

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 12:31 AM
    So far most of analysts, media, paid bashers and fools thinks and said no deal will happen, it will be lower than $9, SP is going to $5-6, PW setting up cheap deal, etc. Not a one analyst is optimistic about the deal or future of BB so far. Why ?? Are we all stupid and too attached to BB so we can not hear or read what they are saying..
    JLagoon likes this.
    10-02-13 12:39 AM
    The MD&A is interesting, pretty much everything is either tanking or starting to tank, even BES but that is hidden by 'acquired subsidiaries' (QNX) performing very well. Also they seem to have failed to have attract the prosumer, consumer or whoever and the consumer base is low-end and pre-paid not the high spending contract customers.
    10-02-13 02:02 AM
    In Q2 BlackBerry sold to customers 4.2m units of BBOS devices and only 1.7m units of BB10. What a disaster... I suppose now everybody understand why they did the write down and deferred the revenue recognition.

Services Revenue in Q2 includes $25m recovered from Venezuela Q1. Removing this item for fair comparison the Service Revenue dropped 12% from Q1, and the company expects another 12% drop in the next quarter.

Software revenue (BES, CALs, QNX) is up 5% from Q1. For now It's insignificant and incapable to moderate the fall of the highly profitable Service business.

In Q2 they shipped less than 3.7m units of BBOS devices, and we don't know how many BB10 units, probably 1.5m-2m ($488m increase of deferred revenue from Q1 divided by an ASP of $250-$300?). But they don't know in which price point they can sell those phones.

BB10 is a total failure, BBOS still selling but with a lower ASP. Service revenue is falling at a 12% rate, no vital signs of the software business. The $9 offer is starting to look good.
    Last edited by tiziano27; 10-02-13 at 02:47 AM.
    10-02-13 02:30 AM
    I think we are starting to see why the BOD is pushing women, children and shareholders to the floor as they rush to the lifeboats.
    10-02-13 02:43 AM
    I don't see any numbers for how many z10s were written down and to what value.

Also don't see the information I was looking for on Rev recognition. They claim they haven't changed their policy!

Where are the comparative figures?

Posted via CB10
    the_sleuth likes this.
    10-02-13 02:45 AM
    I think we are starting to see why the BOD is pushing women, children and shareholders to the floor as they rush to the lifeboats.
    Yeah. I guess we are learning what management was learning a couple of weeks ago. This isn't a company that is going to get leaner and focus on the prosumer or whatever. BB10 has been a total market failure. This isn't about anything needing more time. The Hail Mary pass is already incomplete.

TH can't even come out and say anything because there isn't even any credible plan to go forward. There probably is some kind of product cancellation coming that he can't talk about so he's keeping a low profile.
    10-02-13 02:58 AM
    Carphone Warehouse should have them but you need to find a store with physical stock (and if they have physical stock, it's going to be in london) or go straight to Selfridges and get it there off-contract?

I can make a few phone-calls tomorrow if you like?
    Thanks! But don't bother, I still don't know when/if we go there.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 03:12 AM
    Interesting that FF still gets the break up fee even if an alternative buyer is found 3 month after the due diligence period.

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_995 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-02-13 03:12 AM
    I think that the facts are actually starting to sink in. At the very most stockholders could hope for a "fire sale" of the few parts of Blackberry that have physical value. The $9 is never going to happen. More likely we are looking at the $5-$6 range but only if a deal comes soon. Even the 3rd world users are bailing.

I am sorry but the end is very near.
    10-02-13 03:20 AM
    Who was it who guessed 1.7 million BB10 devices sold this quarter? Congratulations, your guess was confirmed by this latest filling.

I overshot by 0.5 million, too optimistic I was.

For each BB10 device sold, there were 2.5 legacy devices sold. This astonishing fact, not even the most pessimistic of the shorts, would have ever imagined.
    10-02-13 03:23 AM
    Who was it who guessed 1.7 million BB10 devices sold this quarter? Congratulations, your guess was confirmed by this latest filling.

For each BB10 device sold, there were 2.5 legacy devices sold. This astonishing fact, not even the most pessimistic of the shorts, would have ever imagined.
    Where are people getting 1.7? I see 3.7 total with MOST being bb7 devices, wouldn't be shocked if most is 70-80%

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_995 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-02-13 04:23 AM
    Where are people getting 1.7? I see 3.7 total with MOST being bb7 devices, wouldn't be shocked if most is 70-80%
    Its the sell-through number, not shipment number.

Any idea if this is up or down from Q1? They shipped 3.7 million BB10 smartphones in Q4 and Q1.
    10-02-13 05:04 AM
    How the hell could we forget AK?
    http://www.lightlybraisedturnip.com/...buy-blackberry

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 05:04 AM

I was over by about 0.7 million devices.
    10-02-13 05:11 AM
    OK this is getting weird. Never heard of the lightly braised turnip, they reliable?

Wtf is going on, Alicia Keys of all people.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 05:22 AM
    Lol... no, it's a joke

Posted via CB10
    10-02-13 05:25 AM
113,250 ... 20662067206820692070 ...