702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Retreat men, retreat!

Posted via CB10
    lol!
    morganplus8 and sidhuk like this.
    09-26-13 07:41 PM
    Whilst I agree that this thread goes OT, I think it takes the heat off the more 'serious' money losing issues.

No one here is obliged to provide anyone else with 'information'.

Posted via CB10
    Kid Vibe, silversun10 and m0de25 like this.
    09-26-13 08:00 PM
    That's true. But nobody asked cjcampbell to regale all of you with his story's about spending money at strip clubs and sleeping with them after either. This threads gone way off track by many people. And those ones taking it off track are the ones doing a disservice to those actually coming here to get some insight. Maybe the mods should strictly mod this thread so only serious questions are asked and answered seriously. Not the usual gang of 5-8 spanking each other all day carrying on about beers and wines and vacations. If the mods play fair I'm totally game to shut up or post accordingly. I bet millions have been lost directly related to this thread. And these people need to be given the respect they need.

Posted via CB10
    The signal to noise ratio on this thread was obviously not ideal if you were here to strictly talk about the stock and the stock only. If people were looking for that, they should have either started another thread or simply looked elsewhere. Honestly, though, off topic conversations made the thread unique, fun, informative, interesting, etc. It took on a life of its own and perhaps veered off into the NSFW too many times.
    09-26-13 08:02 PM
    maybe they were banned and have no choice?
    No choice?
    jayrock52 likes this.
    09-26-13 08:04 PM
    What is a forum?

Are we only allowed to post in a thread on CB if we agree with the thread title?
    09-26-13 08:06 PM
    Come on. you're comparing a sexual orientation with a stock pick.
    No, I'm comparing a perfectly clear thread title to a perfectly clear thread title. I'm not trying to be snarky, i just don't understand why bear minded people would come here otherwise.
    09-26-13 08:07 PM
    Let's stop the bickering. Take a deep breath and chill. Personally, I only want shiny happy people on this thread:

Can we get back to predictions as to what snippets the ER might have....
    m0de25 likes this.
    09-26-13 08:12 PM
    No, I'm comparing a perfectly clearthread title to a perfectly clear thread title. I'm not trying to be snarky, i just don't understand why bear minded people would come here otherwise.
    I can't speak for the other folks, but I can speak to my position.

I bought the stock. I knew I wasn't really supporting BBRY, since it doesn't work that way. However, when things started to go south after June 28th, first to call me a troll was Bunga, followed by others. How dare I be upset at losing money?

That followed a confrontation with Morgan regarding DoD and BBRY. Now, I worked for the DoD for 28 years. I still have a lot of friends who work in IT for the DoD. But Morgan INSISTED that some guy from Greece was the go to subject matter expert. That's when I figured out the Morgan was pushing the stock. Regardless of win or lose, Morgan pushed the stock.

Guys like Superfly and CJCampbell always added the caveat that you should make your own choices, but if anyone should apologize for their actions in this thread, it's Morgan. He sold a lot of people a bill of goods. It's admirable that people took up for themselves, and listening to SGOTI about stocks is stupid, but until June 28th, I really thought Morgan had inside info. My fault for listening to him.

I'll take my leave of this thread as well, but what some of these "trolls" are saying is the truth.
    notfanboy, mset, BBNation and 5 others like this.
    09-26-13 08:17 PM
    I don't think there was any malicious intent with the pumping here. I think those here that talked up the stock genuinely believed in what they were saying.
    Kid Vibe and m0de25 like this.
    09-26-13 08:32 PM
    I think the longs thought / believed in what management and other BB execs were saying. BB execs were saying bullish things like "selling 10s of millions of Q10s" or "Z10 is our most successful launch ever".

I agree there was no malice intended from the longs on their bullishness. Everyone gets duped once in a while. If anything, there should be a class action investor lawsuit against Heins, Watsa, and BOD.

I don't think there was any malicious intent with the pumping here. I think those here that talked up the stock genuinely believed in what they were saying.
    Last edited by the_sleuth; 09-26-13 at 08:51 PM. Reason: fixing typos
    09-26-13 08:41 PM
    I bought in as a gamble. At one point up 800%

Didn't close any of it. Stuck to the gamble.

Now down about 60%

Sucks

Posted via CB10
    09-26-13 08:43 PM
    the_sleuth
    Let's stop the bickering. Take a deep breath and chill. Personally, I only want shiny happy people on this thread:

Can we get back to predictions as to what snippets the ER might have...."

How about "It's the End of the World as We Know It?" Sorry, no other thoughts about it on my end.
    Last edited by m0de25; 09-26-13 at 09:17 PM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-26-13 08:54 PM
    Retreat men, retreat!

Posted via CB10
    I actually laughed!
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-26-13 09:09 PM

I bought the stock. I knew I wasn't really supporting BBRY, since it doesn't work that way. However, when things started to go south after June 28th, first to call me a troll was Bunga, followed by others. How dare I be upset at losing money?

That followed a confrontation with Morgan regarding DoD and BBRY. Now, I worked for the DoD for 28 years. I still have a lot of friends who work in IT for the DoD. But Morgan INSISTED that some guy from Greece was the go to subject matter expert. That's when I figured out the Morgan was pushing the stock. Regardless of win or lose, Morgan pushed the stock.

Guys like Superfly and CJCampbell always added the caveat that you should make your own choices, but if anyone should apologize for their actions in this thread, it's Morgan. He sold a lot of people a bill of goods. It's admirable that people took up for themselves, and listening to SGOTI about stocks is stupid, but until June 28th, I really thought Morgan had inside info. My fault for listening to him.

I'll take my leave of this thread as well, but what some of these "trolls" are saying is the truth.
    Hi, I agree that at times the regulars snapped at people a bit too unfairly, some more trigger happy than others... but it is what it is, there's hundred(s?) of different personalites on here, each with their own barometers and tolerance levels... and dealing with this very polarizing and sparatic stock maginified it. There are other instances where some people presented differing opinions on here in a cordial way only to mock the "I support BBRY and I buy shares" forum either elsewhere on CB or on other sites (happens a lot, I read other threads on this site). You may have got mixed in with the "obvious" /"legitimate" trolls but I haven't read every single one of your contributions here, so I can't say what others might have picked up on. Personally, I never had issues other differing/challenging opinions if it seemed sincere

As for Morgan and others that may have pumped the stock, I don't agree... we were blatantly led down the wrong path by incompetent management. If this goes down the drain, Blackberry (imo) ended up duping a lot of smart people whether it was Morgan, the guy from Greece, Michael Collins, Misek, etc.
    Last edited by m0de25; 09-26-13 at 09:24 PM. Reason: added a space
    09-26-13 09:16 PM
    In other words, you're going to continue to make serious errors in your money management approach?
    That's one way of looking at it. I, however, like to think that this time around, I'd have better trading strategy. For eg: I plan to buy in-the-money calls this time, instead of way..way..way out of money calls like I bought for BlackBerry (purchased strike $35 when stock was trading <$14).

Sure, not diversifying is generally unwise but I think because my sum is small ($1,000) - I rather be aggressive in my investment (or calculated gamble). Once I get to $5,000 or so, I'd split the amount into two piles - 50/50. I'll open a separate trading account. One account, I will use for investing in speculative stocks, and the other account will only be used for investing in index-funds and safe/blue-chip stocks. Any additional principal I add, I'll split it equally in both accounts as well.

On the other hand, if I fail again (before reaching $5,000), I'd have (hopefully) learned another lesson and then I can just start-over with another seed of $1,000. Maybe I'd diversify this time, or maybe I'd re-adjust my trading strategy again. Who knows. I can't predict right now what lessons are still in-store for me! Maybe I'll get lucky and get to $5,000 without failing. At $5,000, I plan to include diversification as part of my investment strategy anyway.

But yeah, I agree with you that generally speaking not-diversifying is BAD. I am accepting that risk for this round.

I am going to provide updates on my non-BBRY portfolio @ MoneyCulture.ca
    09-26-13 09:18 PM
    As an abused Blackberry shareholder, I asked myself "what horrible thing could Blackberry still have in store for me over the next 30 days?"

I figured it out. Blackberry will not be able to release BBM for Android and iOS. Once the market learns of this, BBRY will fall to $6.

I hope for the best...but then again, I am the same guy who thought BB10 would be available when Mike L and Jim B said it would.
    09-26-13 09:18 PM
    As an abused Blackberry shareholder, I asked myself "what horrible thing could Blackberry still have in store for me over the next 30 days?"

I figured it out. Blackberry will not be able to release BBM for Android and iOS. Once the market learns of this, BBRY will fall to $6.

I hope for the best...but then again, I am the same guy who thought BB10 would be available when Mike L and Jim B said it would.
    To be honest, this scares the crappola out of me (I unloaded my shares, but still scares me to think of it)... I hope I'm dead wrong , I sure was wrong about a lot of things since last Novemeber when I bought in.
    09-26-13 09:28 PM
    I bought in as a gamble. At one point up 800%

Didn't close any of it. Stuck to the gamble.

Now down about 60%

Sucks

Posted via CB10
    That's insane! Sorry to hear it...
    09-26-13 09:30 PM
    I said I saw no malicious intent but I did see a lot of stupid blind emotional optimism despite all of the obvious red flags and warnings.
    09-26-13 09:33 PM
    That's one way of looking at it. I, however, like to think that this time around, I'd have better trading strategy. For eg: I plan to buy in-the-money calls this time, instead of way..way..way out of money calls like I bought for BlackBerry (purchased strike $35 when stock was trading <$14).

I am going to provide updates on my non-BBRY portfolio @ MoneyCulture.ca
    I give up. Good luck, Chrys.

By the way, just for interest's sake, did anyone around here tell you that buying deep out of the money calls was a good idea?
    09-26-13 09:37 PM
    Something that has really been weighing on me is Blackberry�s relationship with governmental agencies throughout the world, more specifically the US Federal Government. If Blackberry was really �on its way out�, I feel we would be hearing a lot more about change in government contracts etc. It is a question of national security; I feel the US government has been in contact with Blackberry throughout this entire fiasco. In a government agency it is necessary to ensure the lifespan of the company. They should be questioning whether it will still be maintained up to current standards for a specific amount of time, etc.

A quote from an article published just a few hours ago�

�Agencies tend to sign long-term handset contracts � sometimes for three or more years � and many government offices have renewed their commitments to BlackBerry this year. That means federal agencies such as the State Department and Drug Enforcement Administration will be handing out BlackBerry devices for years, analysts say.�

BlackBerry still reigns in Washington

Trevor
    09-26-13 09:44 PM
    I said I saw no malicious intent but I did see a lot of stupid blind emotional optimism despite all of the obvious red flags and warnings.
    Emotions have been running this website, since day one. If you're not a fanboy, then you're a hated troll. Guess who started all this emotionalism, and is still telling everyone to "keep the faith". It's not personal, just business.
    09-26-13 09:56 PM

I do not think Morgon was pushing the stock but he is BB fan like us who traded BB. I lost tons of money and I take full responsibility for it. Yes, Morgen was always postivie even when worse news came out..may be he was helping us to keep the cool, stay long, may be he was trading and shorting..only he knows but we can not blame him for anything. I understand DoD news and stuff. People said that the announcement is coming and this will happen and that will happen.
    Overall. BB management betrayed us. I still do not belive how they managed bb10. over produced BB10, may be purposely over estimated. How can company can from almost losing nothing to 1bl in one quarter or few months..TH's 55 mil upgrade..it all seem to be legal but fishy and lies..What happened to MOBILE computing..
    sidhuk, Kid Vibe, m0de25 and 4 others like this.
    09-26-13 09:58 PM
    Good discussion and comments from capital markets pro:

Fairfax seeking $1B equity for BlackBerry deal: Globe - BNN News

He says 10 to 15% probability no deal and 85% to 90% chance of deal under $9 / share, he commented the deal will be $8.50 range / share. We shall see...
    m0de25 likes this.
    09-26-13 10:03 PM
    I give up. Good luck, Chrys.
    By the way, just for interest's sake, did anyone around here tell you that buying deep out of the money calls was a good idea?
    lol, no, in my mind, strike $35 was easily reachable. It was low hanging fruit! My analysis was based on this assumption : Out of 75M BlackBerry customers (at the time), if 20% upgraded to BB 10 in first year, they'd have had 15M BB10 sales.

At $200 profit per device, that'd be $3B in additional profits. $3B profit would easily add $6 annual earning per share. Multiply that with 8 or 10 or 12, you get $48 or $60 or $120 as potential share price.

My assumption that 15M will upgrade proved to be wrong. And hence my thesis fell through. I thought service-revenue, MDM revenue etc. will just be more icing on the cake.

So, really, nobody advised me to buy deep out of money calls. I thought I was being smart by buying deep out of money calls! lol I also read an article on GuruFocus (Time to Buy Research In Motion? - GuruFocus.com) which seemed to agree with my thesis as well. And so, I went all-in!

Nobody on this board is to blame but me. If anything, I'd attribute some blame to BlackBerry's management. Their statements (such as expecting to sell 10s of millions of Q10) led me to believe that my assumption was not only correct but conservative!

But then again, company's management lies all the time and it was naive of me to believe them. They shouldn't lie to their shareholders but they do; and it was naive of me to think BlackBerry's management won't lie/hide/obfuscate information.
    09-26-13 10:06 PM
113,256 ... 20372038203920402041 ...