View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    If Moran doesn't answer, I will chime in. I see no reason why after acquiring a company and taking it private you couldn't turn around and sell it to whomever you want. The main thing Perm can't do right now is disseminate false and misleading information to scare shareholders into tendering into his offer. He does not have to reveal his future plans for the Company.
    The usual caveat here needs to be noted, given that BlackBerry is Canadian. The "whomever you want" part is a bit restrictive with a large market cap company (and perhaps surprisingly BB still is just that). They would need government approval for any foreign takeover, and getting that is by no means a slam dunk for a company with BlackBerry's importance up here.

This is why a deal with Canadian pension funds, some banks, and Fairfax is far more likely to happen, at least in the short term, than anything involving MSFT or anyone else outside Canada. And I don't think I've heard a single suggestion for anyone else inside Canada who might be prepared to try for it.

If an eventual sale to Microsoft or someone else was in Prem's mind, he has no real idea right now whether he could ever swing that.
    cjcampbell, m0de25, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    09-25-13 09:29 PM
    As a great businessman, Prem would not risk ruining his reputation by lowering his bid or walking away at last minute.

The problem here is whether he can get enough financing or not.

I am wondering why he doesn't try to get some kind of financing from Canada government. As I can recall, Canada government just gave loan to Vodafone several months ago to purchase BlackBerry phones.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 09:31 PM
    Won't it be nice if Google was serious about enterprise solutions and MDM:

Google�s Motorola establishing a new office in Kitchener-Waterloo | Financial Post

Motorola synergies......with BlackBerry security.
    Good that you brought this up. I have been thinking a lot about Motorola buying BBRY. It seems like the most logical move of anyone I have heard yet.
    Randeman and rarsen like this.
    09-25-13 09:32 PM
    This thread is Still around?
    09-25-13 09:35 PM
    This thread is Still around?
    It's not obvious to you?
    take99, cjcampbell, fedakd and 2 others like this.
    09-25-13 09:38 PM
    Good read here:

"...At this point, Mr. Heins and his board of directors (if they knew) faced one of the decision points that separate strong leadership from weak and good companies from bad. The correct decision is the simple one. Tell the truth. As my dad used to say, it is easier to remember.

The truth they did not tell investors until it was forced on them as Q2 results were coming due for release was that they had made commitments to buy a lot more devices than they could sell and they were going to take a bath on them.

How much simpler to state these facts in the Q1 release?

Management could have said:

"We sold 6.8 million phones to carriers. The sell through of BB7 devices remains strong. Our new phones are getting good reviews but the sales are taking time to materialize. We have recognized 2.8 million BB10 units sold to carriers as revenue in accordance with our policies but at the end of the quarter only 600,000 have been taken up by end users.

We are taking immediate steps to deal with this. First, we tried to position the Z10 as our flagship product at a premium price. The feedback we are getting is that the device is solid but the price is too high. We are cutting the price to $350 a unit from $600. At the same time, we are negotiating with our suppliers to shift the mix of our committed volumes to Q10 and the soon to be released Q5 devices where we expect to find stronger demand.

We have rolled out our BES 10.1 enterprise software and it is well received. We are planning to release our BBM messaging service for iOS and Android platforms later this year. We are confident in our products and our plans. We expected some setbacks and we can deal them."

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): Memorandum To The BlackBerry Board Of Directors: Stop The Charade And Manage The Company - Seeking Alpha
    Last edited by m0de25; 09-25-13 at 09:52 PM.
    09-25-13 09:40 PM
    Good that you brought this up. I have been thinking a lot about Motorola buying BBRY. It seems like the most logical move of anyone I have heard yet.
    Motorola has a huge presence in both federal and local fire, EMS, and law enforcement agencies in the U.S. I don't know what level of market penetration they have, but their radios and comms equipment is very common. Now, does Motorola need BlackBerry's network/security/patents? No clue, and no clue how easy/difficult it would be to integrate them. But I can see common interests between the two.
    09-25-13 09:40 PM
    He was answering a question about HALO options.
    Doh! Judas Priest gang! Let's keep to topic )

BTW - Sorry for the late replies, I didn't realize the current state of the sale!

Ya know, it is really difficult to keep up around here....
    09-25-13 09:53 PM
    Yes, the markets valuation is around $8. It looks like Watsa is already being generous. Why would he pay more? He is not completely insane.
    Don't us pee-ons still get to vote though?

I vote for $100, so i can goto that party that you all are talking about! (Crying now).
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 09-25-13 at 10:11 PM.
    09-25-13 09:55 PM
    So then someone else makes an offer at $8.50 and Prem loses out (with an average well above that), or is forced to make a superior bid at $10, a buck higher than he could have had it before.
    >>> Gotcha. Thanks.

Or do you seriously think that Prem is the only guy on the entire planet who actually sees value in BBRY?
    >>> No, there is one other guy: Me.

PS - Still holding....
    09-25-13 10:02 PM
    I am reading from above:
    "He [Prem] said the group did not include any strategic players, but that one or two technology companies could possibly join.

If this were the case (1-2 tech companies joining) a higher bid could potentially come from a firm outside the consortium? (I'm hoping!) Now that Blackberry has stated it is out of the consumer market, could Apple be a suitor to gain access to the enterprise market?
    09-25-13 10:20 PM
    At BBM Jam Asia they said they are developing BBM for Desktop, with the ability to attach files using the Windows explorer window. Maybe Mac too. Still in demo form, no release date. The Desktop will mirror your phone.

Man, this makes me mad... if they can make this work, BBM will be usable on virtually any phone and any computer, and will have voice, video, and file capability. All on a super-reliable, secure network. That's the competitor to Skype and Google Hangouts I've thought could really be successful for the company... which might be private by the time it is released. >_<

In other news, apparently Sina Weibo, the huge Chinese messaging app, will be coming to BB10.

Oh wait... BBM Desktop will be on your phone sending everything to the a mirror on the desktop via WiFi or USB. That's... interesting and odd. It would be better if BBM Desktop was accessible without a phone.
    09-25-13 10:38 PM
    At BBM Jam Asia they said they are developing BBM for Desktop, with the ability to attach files using the Windows explorer window. Maybe Mac too. Still in demo form, no release date. The Desktop will mirror your phone.

Man, this makes me mad... if they can make this work, BBM will be usable on virtually any phone and any computer, and will have voice, video, and file capability. All on a super-reliable, secure network. That's the competitor to Skype and Google Hangouts I've thought could really be successful for the company... which might be private by the time it is released. >_<

In other news, apparently Sina Weibo, the huge Chinese messaging app, will be coming to BB10.

Oh wait... BBM Desktop will be on your phone sending everything to the a mirror on the desktop via WiFi or NFC. That's... interesting and odd. It would be better if BBM Desktop was accessible without a phone.
    Yes sickens me that we might not be able to share the potential successes...

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 10:42 PM
    Private only means we don't get to share in financial spoils for now, but we'll be able to share in the experience.
    09-25-13 10:55 PM
    let the discounts begin!

BlackBerry slashes Z10 price by a third in India

BlackBerry will offer the BlacBerry Z10 for Rs 29,990 in India, slashing the price by about Rs 13,500 or 31 per cent, as a limited period offer ahead of the upcoming festive season.
    09-25-13 11:11 PM
    Hi Silversun,
    Just for my security, I have to play nemesis to your points:
    ( My counter-points are preceded by '>>>')

LATE EDIT: Are any of these points/counter-points still valid?
    yeah, i still think the share price is noise from here on, the take out price will be hammered out between Prem and who knows and only some kind of big ER surprise is the only thing that will change things. and now Prem says he never changes a deal or proposed deal, so that confirms that.
    09-25-13 11:40 PM
    It does if people think another offer could be coming. Some speculate here that another offer is possible. Prem's statement plus the cancelation of the call IMHO just put a$9 ceiling on the SP. Just my 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    Did you mean Floor for "Ceilling"?
    BlackistheBerry likes this.
    09-25-13 11:43 PM
    So then someone else makes an offer at $8.50 and Prem loses out (with an average well above that), or is forced to make a superior bid at $10, a buck higher than he could have had it before.

Or do you seriously think that Prem is the only guy on the entire planet who actually sees value in BBRY?
    This is a very good point. Prem would not risk to lose the great deal at $9.00 per share by re-offering at a price lower than $9.0. Because if he does that, another one could just offer $8.99999 per share to buy the company and avoid the $0.3 penalty stated in the intent letter.

If no other higher bidder comes in 6 weeks, we will get $9 per share for our shares.
    silversun10 likes this.
    09-25-13 11:49 PM
    Did Morgan just say that Prem is not buying any more shares and that is Business 101? 2 days ago, he said that Prem was buying all the shares at $9 ,averaging down and he would sell out as soon as someone comes along and offers him what he wants for all of his stock. He has gone beyond 10% of the stock and holds control of the buyout. Sit back and enjoy this, learn something about the market and listen to the news. Post#49968

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    Hey raysgrumpy!!

Let's clear this up Mr. Grumpy, it is extremely rare that an aggressive bid to take out a company is not followed up by some heavy buying of the common shares. Prem should have been loading up here to protect his average cost basis but he himself is implying that he is standing on those $ 17.00/shr purchases going into what others are getting for $ 9.00/shr. He is the odd man out so to speak and that's some strange business. Either way, he is a smart man and if he thinks he is on the same footing as all the other players who are in at a major discount to him, so be it. I have to think about why he would do that. I believe he is so confident that a counter bid would have to be much higher in order for them to win the auction process, he feels his 10% of the company is enough to say "no" to just about any offer. If we knew how much debt there was in his deal, we would know how much he would own of BlackBerry and then it would all make sense. For instance, he could end up with 51% ownership and a ton of debt out of all of this, we may never know. That would explain why he is not buying shares today.

I always ask the question, " at what price would Prem give up his shares?" If you could answer that question you would know what to do tomorrow.
    09-26-13 12:09 AM
    perhaps they got financing from BoA/ML as they dropped coverage of BBRY this week. It also could be related to other investment banking advice.
    09-26-13 12:14 AM
    Well, any buyers at < $8?

Posted via CB10
    Randeman and sidhuk like this.
    09-26-13 12:25 AM
    Motorola has a huge presence in both federal and local fire, EMS, and law enforcement agencies in the U.S. I don't know what level of market penetration they have, but their radios and comms equipment is very common. Now, does Motorola need BlackBerry's network/security/patents? No clue, and no clue how easy/difficult it would be to integrate them. But I can see common interests between the two.
    Motorola Mobility, who make phones and was bought by Google, is a completely separate company from Motorola Solutions who make telecom equipment and are still independent. They split off the cell stuff from the old Motorola a couple years ago.
    Shanerredflag and sidhuk like this.
    09-26-13 12:26 AM
    It's not obvious to you?
    Didn't know there was a market for sacarsm courses.

I wonder how responsible this thread is for the massive losses some are facing.
    09-26-13 12:28 AM
    Hi Morgan; I am not trying to promote hopium here--just saying to all of you. It is good to hear that Watsa reaffirms his bid, but it is still $9 / share. Wouldn't a higher starting bid by Watsa shows more, obviously, valuation, and confidence for other interested parties to make a bid? Again, as others and I have asked ourselves multiple times, why only $9? This is Watsa's valuation, instead of the market's, no? Again, seriously, only $9 / share? What is the logic behind this? $2.6 billion cash + $2.1 billion in patents only? How about the secure network? New BES10 contracts.

I am still holding my shares at the moment.
    JLagoon,

You are totally right, Prem landed on a pile of dog **** and came out smelling great on this one. I think he had a $ 12.00/shr target in mind and along came the change in accounting for handset sales. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have so room on the price here but so far, he is the best bid in the house. There is a 90% ownership rule in place in order to force a holder of stock to hand other their shares, but it is equally dumb for a holder of 10% of the company like Prem to be so stubborn that all of the other shares get snapped up and he is left holding 10% of an essentually private company. If there is no market or trades in a stock, how will he be able to sell out of his position and move on? He can't prevent a company from offering $ 12.00/shr, he can retain his stock but why would you continue to hold onto stock and dry up the market? At some price, he will be willing to let his block go peacefully. It is with this back-stop that there is room for others to step in and make an offer. Heck, Mikey might be planning on protecting his investment with an offer, trying to obtain 51% of the outstanding shares and effectively control the company apart from Prem. We just don't know who is working this acquisition, Prem, Mikey, or others can turn this whole thing upside down in seconds. There should be no surprise that he made an appearance to say that he has the backing and the money. He is reading the news just like we are every day.
    09-26-13 12:28 AM
    I think some of you should get off Morgan's back. Give it a rest, guys!

Posted via CB10
    plasmid_boy!!

Thanks guy!!

It is mostly one guy creepin' the CB boards here but these mods are all over him!! I couldn't believe they nailed him late this afternoon on just one "polite" post! I wouldn't mess with the mods, its like chess but they are stacked, the house always wins and in the end, we win too.
    09-26-13 12:33 AM
113,256 ... 20262027202820292030 ...