View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Yeah I guess you could argue that.

Maybe he thinks BlackBerry is more valuable with all the parts sold off and a small core left to operate.

Perhaps it is less valuable stuck together as one entity.

Sell hardware to lenovo with associated patents
    Spin off BBM, it doesn't need to exist as part of group
    License NOC out, monetise
    Keep the MDM and bb10 us BES10

What's certain is that I don't think anyone can day they know what the outcome will be for certain.

Posted via CB10
    Reed Richards and g120 like this.
    09-25-13 03:52 PM
    My take.
    ER is coming up.
    I think there are two ways this can go.

1. The terrible news is already out there which they released on Friday, so the ER will show things not to be so terrible.

Ie write off was too heavy, Rev recognition too conservative, service revenues stable. Prospective buyers will see this and see good value in the company and start to make offers, bidding war begins. PW holds cards as he has large block plus gets his 160 mil which helps soften the blow if he gets bought out at 13.50.

2. Friday news was just the tip of the iceberg, the ER is terrible and BlackBerry not in a good way.

PW knowing this, because he was on the board until recently tried to force someone's hand by putting in the offer getting a counteroffer and getting out at around 10.
    Potential buyers all step away. PW tries to come up with funding, can't, stock tanks hard.

It does seem to be a binary situation, no?

Let's analyse. If PW was really trying scenario two, you would think he would do this earlier to give more time before the ER for offers to come in?

These are my thoughts, pure speculation. I know it is only day 3 into the 6 week period. I also think most companies will wait for ER to see what the situation is.

They have access to the books whenever they want though, right? Thoughts.

Posted via CB10
    Well, if the situation was that desperate, at least we "know" (rumor) that the BOD may have choose to break apart and sell ...
    The Toronto Star reports BlackBerry's talks with two Canadian pension funds - the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan and Alberta Investment Management - have stalled because the funds are only interested in certain assets, such as BlackBerry's network operations centers
    09-25-13 03:56 PM
    Another tough day here. Fortunately, a 5% loss is much less of a loss for me than it used to be. :-)
    I wonder if we will someday soon be looking at that $9 offer wistfully. I can't wait to hear the ER. I'm nervous, but excited. I wonder if the cash flow results are going to surprise to the upside.
    I'm also wondering if the Canadian government is going to take some action here. Canada doesn't have a huge number of tech companies who play on a world stage. It might be useful to throw a billion dollar loan into the mix to support BBRY. That would probably require BBRY to remain public though otherwise it would be seen as too much of a handout to a private party.
    I agree. It would be peanuts compare to the auto bailout here in the US, but it would have a huge impact on the country's economy and education. Plus, it is also an issue of national security.
    sidhuk, rarsen, abouthsu and 1 others like this.
    09-25-13 03:57 PM
    Would be great if BBRY is still a publicly traded company when they do.
    09-25-13 03:58 PM
    Another tough day here. Fortunately, a 5% loss is much less of a loss for me than it used to be. :-)
    I wonder if we will someday soon be looking at that $9 offer wistfully. I can't wait to hear the ER. I'm nervous, but excited. I wonder if the cash flow results are going to surprise to the upside.
    I'm also wondering if the Canadian government is going to take some action here. Canada doesn't have a huge number of tech companies who play on a world stage. It might be useful to throw a billion dollar loan into the mix to support BBRY. That would probably require BBRY to remain public though otherwise it would be seen as too much of a handout to a private party.
    specially when income from that tech company has basically took city of waterloo to another level. Canada it self has benefited from blackberry.
    09-25-13 04:00 PM
    LoL, I noticed they used the stock chart
    09-25-13 04:03 PM
    I'm also wondering if the Canadian government is going to take some action here. .. It might be useful to throw a billion dollar loan into the mix to support BBRY. .
    BMO has been suggested as a possible source for a billion $. They have a very close relationship with Watsa.
    09-25-13 04:04 PM
    Money is not an issue here. the intention is. blackberry does have the money.
    09-25-13 04:07 PM
    Hey LC ... farewell buddy.
    Hope to have some news sometimes.
    Take care.
    Cheers
    SF
    09-25-13 04:09 PM
    Won't it be nice if Google was serious about enterprise solutions and MDM:

Google’s Motorola establishing a new office in Kitchener-Waterloo | Financial Post

Motorola synergies......with BlackBerry security.
    09-25-13 04:11 PM
    Hey LC ... farewell buddy.
    Hope to have some news sometimes.
    Take care.
    Cheers
    SF
    Back to quantum mechanics, there are probabilities of other dimensions where you still see him on internet chat rooms.
    09-25-13 04:13 PM
    Heya Everyone,

Good luck to all... My balls of steel finally sunk ha! Took one hell of a loss with that investment. Watching from the side-lines to see how this plays out. I still could enter back in, but I am unsure as right now to me, this is a guessing game of whether or not there are other bidders in play. I will check out the ER and see what happens.

I felt that management became unreachable and non-communicative on several issues. The BBM debacle was really the kicker for me. Too bad really, I felt that could have changed momentum slightly. Thor was never a good marketer/spokesperson but a great tech-savvy leader. Blackberry is definitely missing a vocalist for their PR team. Like Yang said, perception is what counts, and the media has been all over the company. Disappointing really, especially the Canadian media outlets. I hope BB does well in the future, it would make sense for them to get bought out but what troubles me is the Canadian government intervening...

I learned quite a bit these last several months. My investing career is now on a slight hault for the time being, unless I decide to enter this stock again (unlikely). Thanks to everyone who was involved (too many to name) in discussion and the thread. I'll be around to see how this plays out... Also, I hope we can get a new thread going involving other investment opportunities. Good luck to all!

-Eric

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

-Michael Jordan
    09-25-13 04:18 PM
    Oh GOd, I'm so tired my eyes are closing.
    But just before they do ... I found this. Nice note to end the day.
    See you later, won't be there much tomorrow.
    Nokia is Well Positioned to Acquire and Monetize BlackBerry Patents
    Take care.

P.S: Kid, you do have balls of steel. If not, you wouldn't have accepted the loss and sell.
    Never regret; just learn. We all do, forever.

Edit : loved this part ... valuation ? Let them dig a little.

While BlackBerry’s patent portfolio is considerably smaller than Nokia’s, interestingly, BlackBerry’s US patents have an relatively high reverse citation count of 58 citations per patent, versus only 10 reverse citations per patent for Nokia. While not a conclusive factor in determining patent portfolio strength, BlackBerry’s US patents as a whole may stand a higher chance of surviving an invalidity challenge than Nokia’s patents. This would presumably make BlackBerry’s patents attractive to any firm hoping to monetize the patents.
    09-25-13 04:25 PM
    Oh GOd, I'm so tired my eyes are closing.
    But just before they do ... I found this. Nice note to end the day.
    See you later, won't be there much tomorrow.
    Nokia is Well Positioned to Acquire and Monetize BlackBerry Patents
    Take care.

P.S: Kid, you do have balls of steel. If not, you wouldn't have accepted the loss and sell.
    Never regret; just learn. We all do, forever.
    Thanks Super!!

What you need to know for tomorrow morning!! They sold hardware and weak patents to MSFT for how much?

"While BlackBerry’s patent portfolio is considerably smaller than Nokia’s, interestingly, BlackBerry’s US patents have an relatively high reverse citation count of 58 citations per patent, versus only 10 reverse citations per patent for Nokia. While not a conclusive factor in determining patent portfolio strength, BlackBerry’s US patents as a whole may stand a higher chance of surviving an invalidity challenge than Nokia’s patents. This would presumably make BlackBerry’s patents attractive to any firm hoping to monetize the patents."
    09-25-13 04:30 PM
    Heya Everyone,

Good luck to all... My balls of steel finally sunk ha! Took one hell of a loss with that investment. Watching from the side-lines to see how this plays out. I still could enter back in, but I am unsure as right now to me, this is a guessing game of whether or not there are other bidders in play. I will check out the ER and see what happens.
    check this out -

https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/indivi...tm?portId=9563

https://www.vanguardcanada.ca/docume...age_client.pdf

good luck!
    Kid Vibe likes this.
    09-25-13 04:34 PM
    Prem Watsa says he's confident about bid for BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

"We wouldn't put our name to such a high-profile deal if we didn't feel confident that at the end of the day that our due diligence would be fine and we'd be able to finance it" - Prem Watsa

Bad news is we probably won't see an offer in the teen range, not so bad news is we can assume Prem isn't bluffing.
    09-25-13 04:35 PM
    Thanks Super!!

What you need to know for tomorrow morning!! They sold hardware and weak patents to MSFT for how much?

"While BlackBerry’s patent portfolio is considerably smaller than Nokia’s, interestingly, BlackBerry’s US patents have an relatively high reverse citation count of 58 citations per patent, versus only 10 reverse citations per patent for Nokia. While not a conclusive factor in determining patent portfolio strength, BlackBerry’s US patents as a whole may stand a higher chance of surviving an invalidity challenge than Nokia’s patents. This would presumably make BlackBerry’s patents attractive to any firm hoping to monetize the patents."
    I guess I have a slight idea
    Allez, un petit dernier pour la nuit !
    I'll be your (scary? lol) fairy with sweet sleep stardust
    Fairfax's Watsa confident BlackBerry bid will succeed | Reuters
    Can't refrain, have to quote ...
    "We wouldn't put our name to such a high-profile deal if we didn't feel confident that at the end of the day that our due diligence would be fine and we'd be able to finance it," Watsa said in an interview on Wednesday.
    The Canadian-led consortium put in its $9 a share bid for BlackBerry on Monday, arguing that BlackBerry had better chances as a private company, away from Wall Street's constant gaze.
    But the shares closed a full dollar below the bid price on the Nasdaq on Wednesday, indicating that investors were skeptical the deal would succeed. The stock edged up to $8.05 in after-market trade.
    "Short term these things fluctuate, there is speculation one way, there's speculation the other way," Watsa said of the share price of BlackBerry, which pioneered mobile email communications but has lost ground to Apple Inc's iPhone and other snazzier rivals.
    "We never pay too much attention to the marketplace."
    Fairfax is BlackBerry's biggest shareholder, and Watsa said he did not expect Fairfax would need to contribute more than its stake of about 10 percent to the buyout bid. He said the bid was led by Fairfax and Canadian funds, but not restricted to them.
    Watsa declined to name any participants in the group, citing confidentiality agreements, or to comment on questions around possible collateral the group could use to secure financing or on the possibility of bridge financing that could be repaid using BlackBerry's existing cash pile.
    The human factor ... never forget the human factor.

Dammmmmit, my bed !!! Ok more on CraaaaaaakkkkkBerrryDotCom ! : http://crackberry.com/prem-watsa-say...bid-blackberry (thx acdne)
    09-25-13 04:38 PM

"We wouldn't put our name to such a high-profile deal if we didn't feel confident that at the end of the day that our due diligence would be fine and we'd be able to finance it" - Prem Watsa

Bad news is we probably won't see an offer in the teen range, not so bad news is we can assume Prem isn't bluffing.
    Sounds to me that we can buy BBRY today for $ 8.00/shr and in 5-weeks we can make a dollar? A very nice return indeed.

PS: Why didn't the Wall Street Enquirer report his?
    09-25-13 04:43 PM

So basically he sounds very confident that he'll get the $9 no problem.

Surely it makes sense to just buy as much shares as you can at the $8 range and make a quick profit when sold for $9?

I guess it's not as black and white as that but from his statement he doesn't sound like he's playing about.
    09-25-13 04:44 PM
    And he also confirmed pension funds are with him

"He said the bid was led by Fairfax and CANADIAN FUNDS, but not restricted to them"

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 04:47 PM
    I assume he hasn't bought more yet because the stock price will drop more when they announce the quarterly results.

Posted from My all in one beauty Z10
    09-25-13 04:49 PM
    Won't it be nice if Google was serious about enterprise solutions and MDM:

Google’s Motorola establishing a new office in Kitchener-Waterloo | Financial Post

Motorola synergies......with BlackBerry security.
    Well it makes sense since Google have been set up here for a number of years now. Thanks for the link. Nice to see they're expanding their operations in the region.

EDIT - Maybe they had a deal with BB for an employee exchange? lol... sorry if this seems in bad taste but it is nice to know that some of the laid off folk will have a new option in town.
    09-25-13 04:50 PM
    And he also confirmed pension funds are with him

"He said the bid was led by Fairfax and CANADIAN FUNDS, but not restricted to them"

Posted via CB10
    But Jacquie McNish and her trusted sources told her to tell us through the Globe and Mail today that no one is interested in BlackBerry at all. None of the Pension Funds will invest with Prem here, can someone email Prem and tell him this?
    09-25-13 04:51 PM
    Sounds to me that we can buy BBRY today for $ 8.00/shr and in 5-weeks we can make a dollar? A very nice return indeed.

PS: Why didn't the Wall Street Enquirer report his?
    I was pretty sure of a statement from him today evening.
    As I mentioned earlier today, coming up with the funds will never be an issue for him if he wants it to happen.
    09-25-13 04:53 PM
    Please nobody on this thread every mention reality distortion field and apple because it has nothing on this thread - if you are already thousands under don't be tempted to throw good money after bad on the advice of people who were promising $20 only weeks again - stop, think and use your mentality.
    09-25-13 04:55 PM
113,256 ... 20212022202320242025 ...