View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I think "boatload" of patents is irrelevant (some of the latest applications were meaningless, like the foldout keyboard phone). A lot of these patents could have been spray shooting to see if anything sticks. Does anyone know what the "golden egg" patents are under BB's umbrella? Is there anything particular that can cause a riot over?
    if you don't know their patents, how can you say they are irrelevant?
    morganplus8 and sidhuk like this.
    09-25-13 07:05 AM
    I think "boatload" of patents is irrelevant (some of the latest patent applications were meaningless, like the foldout keyboard phone). Does anyone know what the "golden egg" patents are under BB's umbrella? Is there anything particular that can cause a riot over?
    I'd say the one of the biggest is the ECC in which they own north of 130 patents related to it. I don't know the extent of their other patents but seeing as they were one of the first in the mobile space, I'm sure there are tons and many of which are licensed out for which those licensees would like to own, and no longer pay for, and in turn, be able to license out on their own.
    bungaboy, morganplus8 and sidhuk like this.
    09-25-13 07:08 AM
    oh if they use BB's cash to buy BB? that only happens when the $9 deal stands, so that still puts a $9 floor on the stock.
    FF can revise their offer after the due diligence period, if there are no offers over $9 they might put in a new offer at say $5, so I would be careful with this floor.

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_995 using CB Forums mobile app
    rodan01 likes this.
    09-25-13 07:08 AM
    I'm saying the QUANTITY is irrelevant.

I'm just bringing up the whole quality vs quantity thing. I'm curious to know if there are real relevant ones in the portfolio. I keep hearing they have boatloads of patents... the company I worked for had boatloads of patents as well but nothing earth shattering - a lot of them were barking up the wrong tree - and it doesn't mean other companies don't have their own workarounds.
    Last edited by m0de25; 09-25-13 at 07:24 AM.
    rodan01 likes this.
    09-25-13 07:10 AM
    Thanks CJ... Agree, the encryption coding alone should be huge.

It would be great reading an article giving an overview of these patents in lamen terms... I'd just like to get a better understanding of the patents instead of just saying they have lots of them.
    09-25-13 07:13 AM
    I'm saying the QUANTITY is irrelevant.

I'm just bringing up the whole quality vs quantity thing. I'm curious to know if there are real relevant ones in the portfolio. I keep hearing they have boatloads of patents... the company I worked for had boatloads of patents as well but nothing earth shattering and it doesn't mean other companies don't have their own workarounds.
    i say, the more the better
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-25-13 07:21 AM
    The market and journalists, and I use that term lightly as of late, are not infallible and have been known to be wrong many many times.
    You mean about things like writeoffs and layoffs? Or that the z10 had been a sales bomb?

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
    09-25-13 07:21 AM

It would be great reading an article giving an overview of these patents in lamen terms... I'd just like to get a better understanding of the patents instead of just saying they have lots of them.
    Actually, from what I read, it's not the actual encryption itself, but the implementation of the encryption. I could be wrong as I basically skimmed a few pages to gather at least a little insight but that's what I walked away with. Back before Certicom was bought by RIM, they had a lawsuit against Sony with how they were using it, not the fact that they were using it. It ended up settling out of court and the suit was dropped.
    09-25-13 07:25 AM
    You mean about things like writeoffs and layoffs? Or that the z10 had been a sales bomb?

Just because BlackBerry folk seem to have loose lips, does not mean that any other potential parties interested employee, or include, loose lipped folk in their discussions.
    morganplus8, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    09-25-13 07:27 AM
    Patents and services/software potential - the hardware is dead and BB10 with it.

Having said that I was talking before to someone and they claimed (and I haven't checked yet) that the patents are already cross-licensed to MSFT which reduces the chances of them making a bid in order to get the patents.
    Great so it has a value. So anyone that needs these assets would be willing to pay if the price is right.

I see a value in BB10, I think it needs to marketed better an bank rolled perhaps. Someone with deep pockets and some marketing clout may prescribe a value to this.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 07:31 AM

Or like the people who said bb10 would never make it to market.

Selective memory ftw.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 07:35 AM
    Or like the people who said bb10 would never make it to market.

Selective memory ftw.

Posted via CB10
    Let's try and keep this on a discussion level and not make any remarks that can lead to another day of back and forth BS getting this thread shut down.... again. Without this bolded text, it was fine but it's addition lends itself to making this personal.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 09-25-13 at 08:24 AM.
    Compaqee, Randeman, m1a1mg and 6 others like this.
    09-25-13 07:40 AM
    Well someone just dropped $2.4 million in BBRY in a PM trade.
    Last edited by cjcampbell; 09-25-13 at 08:07 AM.
    BergerKing and sidhuk like this.
    09-25-13 07:44 AM
    Well someone just dropped 2.4 million in BBRY in a PM trade.
    SP is holding up which is a good sign.
    cjcampbell and sidhuk like this.
    09-25-13 07:47 AM
    Well someone just dropped 2.4 million in BBRY in a PM trade.
    They're thinking it's an easy 140k win, from $8.50 back up to $9

(minus those pesky transaction fees, of course )
    09-25-13 07:48 AM
    Let's try and keep this on a discussion level and not make any remarks that can lead to another day of back and forth BS getting this thread shut down.... again. Without this bolded text, it was fine but it's addition lends itself to making this personal.
    Yeah, i know it's hard sometimes but let's keep it civil on both sides of the argument.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 09-25-13 at 08:25 AM.
    09-25-13 07:49 AM
    They protect an ongoing concern against others copying innovation. If you business model requires them, you can't sell them thus worthless.

Posted via CB10
    m0de25 likes this.
    09-25-13 07:55 AM
    The purported premarket offer of 2 million shares is now doing some damage. Pre-ER jitters?
    09-25-13 08:01 AM
    Apologies

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 08:13 AM
    The purported premarket offer of 2 million shares is now doing some damage. Pre-ER jitters?
    It looks like another bad day. There is no good news so we can't expect a positive result!
    09-25-13 08:20 AM

We discussed the ECC issue on the boards back in August. I did some research, since I was considering selling and wanted to know the real worth of ECC. My post, #13, is something I found while searching.

http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...ks-ecc-837633/
    09-25-13 08:21 AM
    It looks like another bad day. There is no good news so we can't expect a positive result!

Who the heck knows with this thing? I think we're due for another stock halt, don't you think? I mean, we've been 2 days without one!
    09-25-13 08:23 AM
    So Prem will be using the patents as collateral for debt financing.

BlackBerry Patents Key to Raising Buyout Debt: Canada Cre - Bloomberg
    09-25-13 08:27 AM
    They protect an ongoing concern against others copying innovation. If you business model requires them, you can't sell them thus worthless.

Posted via CB10
    Didn't palm tried it - they sold off their patents to a patent troll which they then retained a broad license for?

09-25-13 08:32 AM
    I have a feeling this SP and CORE focus has occupied 90% of the board's time and energy and focus... No wonder execution has been lacking recently.

Isn't this written my M+8's fav reporter?
    (Betcha her parents never gave her that first name )
    morganplus8 and sidhuk like this.
    09-25-13 08:33 AM
113,250 ... 20122013201420152016 ...