View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Looking at the pre-market, so much for the idea that $9 would set a floor.
    I don't see any trades yet....
    09-25-13 05:53 AM
    I don't see any trades yet....
    whoops - I meant afterhours ($8.49) - it doesn't look like people are buying a) the bid or b) that anyone else is coming in.
    09-25-13 05:56 AM
    I agree. The "Sale" news greatly over shadows anything that could come from the ER.

Still hoping that there will be more bids but the longer it goes without more bids . . . . . .
    Well it's only been 2 days since the first bid was made. I'm sure it opened the discussion at other potential suitors and they, knowing they have 6 weeks, can take their time. Why rush to the table?
    Randeman, bungaboy, rarsen and 2 others like this.
    09-25-13 05:56 AM
    Well it's only been 2 days since the first bid was made. I'm sure it opened the discussion at other potential suitors and they, knowing they have 6 weeks, can take their time. Why rush to the table?
    If there were other suitors where were they at @$6?
    09-25-13 05:57 AM
    If the bad news was front loaded to get the initial offer in, any good news in the ER may be a positive for any potential bidder.no?

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 and sidhuk like this.
    09-25-13 05:57 AM
    Maybe the valuation that was given pre Friday's announcement of 12-15 had them doing their own internal negotiations to see if it was worth it, organizing a game plan, a risk/reward study blah blah blah... now that they know they could come in at anywhere above $9 could be enough to entice them to speed up or reevaluate. I really don't know but it does seem logical. I don't see how anyone could realistically pose an offer of $6 as that would value the whole company, services, software, real estate, patents, etc... as less than half a billion and making essentially a straight trade for the cash.
    bungaboy, morganplus8 and sidhuk like this.
    09-25-13 06:02 AM
    Bb10 hadn't even launched by then

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 06:02 AM
    Bb10 hadn't even launched by then

Posted via CB10
    It's not worth anything so I'm not sure what difference that makes?
    09-25-13 06:03 AM
    It's not worth anything so I'm not sure what difference that makes?
    Says who, you?

Edit: forgot to laugh hahha
    Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 06:05 AM
    Says who, you?

Posted via CB10
    Say the only bid they have - add it up, once you take out enterprise and patents and cash - what's the value of BB10 in there? nothing, it's a cost tied to the shutdown of the hardware division - you aren't one of the people who thought this stock would go to a $100 are you?
    09-25-13 06:06 AM
    Agreed, lots can happen in six weeks.
    09-25-13 06:08 AM
    Say the only bid they have - add it up, once you take out enterprise and patents and cash - what's the value of BB10 in there? nothing, it's a cost tied to the shutdown of the hardware division - you aren't one of the people who thought this stock would go to a $100 are you?
    Cgk,

You make me smile, haha.

So you are saying bb10 has no potential, Ok. I guess the value is whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

So what is worth something in BlackBerry? What gives BlackBerry the value above its cash holdings. You seem to suggest there is value, what is it?

Interested to know your opinion.

Oh btw ad hominem argument, you should look it up.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 06:17 AM
    Agreed, lots can happen in six weeks.
    Or not. The market is not expecting another offer and is not completely confident this one will find financing.
    09-25-13 06:18 AM
    Cgk,

You make me smile, haha.

So you are saying bb10 has no potential, Ok. I guess the value is whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

So what is worth something in BlackBerry? What gives BlackBerry the value above its cash holdings. You seem to suggest there is value, what is it?

Posted via CB10
    Patents and services/software potential - the hardware is dead and BB10 with it.

Having said that I was talking before to someone and they claimed (and I haven't checked yet) that the patents are already cross-licensed to MSFT which reduces the chances of them making a bid in order to get the patents.
    09-25-13 06:24 AM
    Isn't this written my M+8's fav reporter?
    (Betcha her parents never gave her that first name )

Fairfax seeks $1-billion from investors for BlackBerry deal

JACQUIE McNISH
    The Globe and Mail
    Published Wednesday, Sep. 25 2013, 5:00 AM EDT
    Last updated Wednesday, Sep. 25 2013, 5:13 AM EDT

Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. is seeking over $1-billion (U.S.) of equity investments from institutional investors to back its preliminary $4.7-billion plan to acquire BlackBerry Ltd.

According to people familiar with the discussions, Fairfax’s chief Prem Watsa has personally contacted several leading Canadian and U.S. pension and private equity funds to win support for a highly conditional overture to acquire the troubled smartphone maker. These sources said that as of Tuesday, only one pension fund, the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, is seriously considering joining the potential takeover consortium.

A spokeswoman for Teachers declined to comment.

Mr. Watsa is pitching the potential acquisition as a leveraged buyout that would be financed with more than $3-billion of bank loans, $1-billion of equity from institutions and Fairfax’s nearly 10-per-cent stake in BlackBerry, which is currently valued at about $470-million.

If Fairfax falls short of the equity it’s seeking to help finance the potential takeover, people familiar with its plans said it intends to arrange a short-term bridge loan that could be repaid with BlackBerry’s cash holdings of about $2.6-billion.

Fairfax has been quietly courting BlackBerry for months, but according to sources, the company’s directors had little interest in its highly leveraged plan until Friday when its announcement of a nearly $1-billion writedown erased nearly 20 per cent of the company’s stock market value in the final hour of trading.

Fear of further stock price declines prompted the board to enter discussions late Friday with Fairfax, which after months of talks with a variety of potential buyers, was the only suitor still expressing interest in the company. Sources familiar with the discussions said the two companies negotiated through the weekend and talks almost broke off when Fairfax refused to back away from its demand for the lucrative $150-million break fee it secured.

“This was an agonizing decision for the board,” said one person familiar with the negotiations.

Takeover suitors typically demand that target companies pay them a so-called break fee if their bid is rejected in favour of a richer competing offer. The fees are designed to compensate suitors for their expenses during acquisition negotiations.

What is highly unusual about BlackBerry’s commitment to pay a break fee is that Fairfax has submitted an offer that is so tentative that it represents little more than an expression of interest.

Under the terms of Fairfax’s proposal, it can walk away from its acquisition plan if it becomes dissatisfied after assessing the company’s confidential financial and operating data. Typically, takeover offers are not made until after suitors complete so-called due diligence studies of target companies.

BlackBerry’s board ultimately approved Fairfax’s proposal, sources said, because it represented the only immediate defence against further stock price plunges. It has also given the company until Fairfax’s deal deadline of early November to attempt to attract another potential buyer.

In trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange, Blackberry’s stock retreated 30 cents to $8.78 (Canadian). On Nasdaq, shares closes at $8.53 (U.S.), below Fairfax’s proposed offer price of $9 a share.
    09-25-13 06:25 AM
    This Fairfax take private bid is very flimsy on hard facts. However Fairfax has its reputation on the line and based on that alone it gains a lot of credibility.
    Also Fairfax is not overreaching, they only risk putting in their current BB stake.
    So, looking at the flimsy details it is understandable the market is trading at a discount, don't forget the ER uncertainty.
    As long as the LOI stands the $9 figure is the floor, and if you hold till the end $9 will be the floor, regardless where the stock goes in the meantime.
    BB could trade at zero and as long as the deal stands $9 will be the floor, regardless.
    So, watching the share price has become meaningless. The only thing that counts now is the next bid, if any.
    09-25-13 06:36 AM
    Not me thankyou..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-25-13 06:39 AM
    Patents and services/software potential - the hardware is dead and BB10 with it.

Having said that I was talking before to someone and they claimed (and I haven't checked yet) that the patents are already cross-licensed to MSFT which reduces the chances of them making a bid in order to get the patents.
    BB has a boatload of patents, very unlikely MSFT has cross-licensed them all.
    09-25-13 06:41 AM
    This Fairfax take private bid is very flimsy on hard facts. However Fairfax has its reputation on the line and based on that alone it gains a lot of credibility.
    Also Fairfax is not overreaching, they only risk putting in their current BB stake.
    So, looking at the flimsy details it is understandable the market is trading at a discount, don't forget the ER uncertainty.
    As long as the LOI stands the $9 figure is the floor, and if you hold till the end $9 will be the floor, regardless where the stock goes in the meantime.
    BB could trade at zero and as long as the deal stands $9 will be the floor, regardless.
    So, watching the share price has become meaningless. The only thing that counts now is the next bid, if any.
    If the market and that article is to be believed, there won't be a next bid. Also, it looks like this bid could seriously damage BB's finances.
    09-25-13 06:43 AM
    If the market and that article is to be believed, there won't be a next bid. Also, it looks like this bid could seriously damage BB's finances.
    The market and journalists, and I use that term lightly as of late, are not infallible and have been known to be wrong many many times.
    09-25-13 06:46 AM
    oh if they use BB's cash to buy BB? that only happens when the $9 deal stands, so that still puts a $9 floor on the stock.
    09-25-13 06:47 AM
    Cgk,

You make me smile, haha.

Sorry to be pedantic, but he did not make an ad hominem argument. Definition: an argument made personally against an opponent instead of against their argument.

The argument cites that the opponent had once held the view that the stock would be much higher. It is a valid thing to point out when discussing the value of the stock. An ad hominem argument would be something along the lines of "you don't have an MBA so your opinion is wrong."
    trwrt likes this.
    09-25-13 06:47 AM
    Who's to say Fairfax doesn't license and/or sells the BlackBerry parents to someone else once it has the company? I think that if this Fairfax deal does occur, they work with trimming the company even further, split the parts and get a ROI.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 06:48 AM
    Sorry to be pedantic, but he did not make an ad hominem argument. Definition: an argument made personally against an opponent instead of against their argument.

The argument cites that the opponent had once held the view that the stock would be much higher. It is a valid thing to point out when discussing the value of the stock. An ad hominem argument would be something along the lines of "you don't have an MBA so your opinion is wrong."
    Not so, rather than arguing against about the value of BlackBerry 10 he brought attention to this. What was the point in saying that? It is a personal attack brining into doubt to the audience the validity of the person's opinion.

This is the very definition of an ad hominem argument. Sorry to pedantic but you are wrong.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 06:59 AM
    I think having "boatloads" of patents is irrelevant (some of the latest applications were meaningless, like the foldout keyboard phone). A lot of these patents could have been spray shooting to see if anything sticks. Does anyone know what the "golden egg" patents are under BB's umbrella? Is there anything particular that can cause a riot over?
    Last edited by m0de25; 09-25-13 at 07:35 AM.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    09-25-13 06:59 AM
113,251 ... 20112012201320142015 ...