View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    For those saying the ER warning was to drop the price in order to let Prem and co to make a cheaper offer, let it go. We are talking the difference of a week and in the business of billions, a week is nothing. The warning needed to come, offer or not, to give shareholders ample time to decide what to do going into the ER and finding out more of the details. Remember June? The vast majority of us got to sit here and watch millions of shares trade PM with no option other than to sit and watch the price continuously drop and that one wasn't bad. It was the handset numbers that did it in. What that did was give fair opportunity to all holders to act as they saw fit. Doing it so late in the day, however, is a kick in the pants, but I suspect is was to halt any more damning leaks that may have happened over the weekend, which no doubt would have happened.

Just my 2 cents on it.
    Early warning was fine. 1B write down I'm betting was not necessary and was used to push the SP down so Prem could get his bid in as a low ball floor the next day, and start the auction clock.
    09-24-13 11:12 AM
    Wuy is the stock tanking again?

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 11:13 AM
    With Prem's offer of $9 on the table, are there still people selling under $9? I thought the constant of scooping up all the available shares and with the offer at 9, don't understand why SP would be below 9 atm. Sorry if this seems like a really dumb question.
    09-24-13 11:13 AM
    Regardless of how BBRY is doing, There is still some profit to be made with the $9 offering on the table. I'm in with 280 more shares.

YOLO.

(Don't judge me on the Yolo. I'm in a Blah mood aha.)
    09-24-13 11:18 AM
    No... the Z30 is the first for that one.
    Seems like Z30 is available in UAE now. I wonder if it will pickup Rogers LTE. Gonna call UAE to get it shipped here.
    https://online.axiomtelecom.com/mobi...z30-black.html
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    09-24-13 11:19 AM
    Seems like Z30 is available in UAE now. I wonder if it will pickup Rogers LTE. Gonna call UAE to get it shipped here.
    https://online.axiomtelecom.com/mobi...z30-black.html
    I would like to get my hands on one as well, Not sure if it has all the supported bands for TELUS network. Looks like someone on ebay is trying to milk it whatever way they can.

Blackberry Z30 Be The First | eBay
    morganplus8, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    09-24-13 11:21 AM
    With Prem's offer of $9 on the table, are there still people selling under $9? I thought the constant of scooping up all the available shares and with the offer at 9, don't understand why SP would be below 9 atm. Sorry if this seems like a really dumb question.
    Because of the conditions attached to the offer. There is virtually no penalty to Fairfax if they withdraw, and some may believe that will happen. There's no guarantee of $9.
    09-24-13 11:22 AM
    Perm has not done an offer, he has signed a letter of intent subject to continuing due diligence, reaching a final agreement and getting shareholder vote. So it is not 100% certain that Perm will shortly pay all stockholder $9 per share.

But I would also have guessed that the price would trade closer to $9.
    09-24-13 11:25 AM
    I would like to get my hands on one as well, Not sure if it has all the supported bands for TELUS network. Looks like someone on ebay is trying to milk it whatever way they can.

Blackberry Z30 Be The First | eBay
    $680 US vs $1800 on eBay
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-24-13 11:29 AM
    1) Because people believe the deal might fall through.

2) Many longs probably also see their money spent more effectively elsewhere in the current bull market.

3) after the nice little 1-2 punch on Friday and Monday some longs don't care about 5% less than BO price after losing 50% in 3 months. It's also personal for some people. I am in supply chain management and was horrified how they built up Soooo many phones into finished goods when the common components have huge value. They really built $1b extra Z10? Jesus.

4)bbm fail gives some people less if a hope of its value in bidding war.

Those are just some of the reasons.

I lost $25000 and I take full responsibility for my actions. I overlooked **** poor marketing, brand hatred, and poor leadership for patents, bbm, and a good OS. Apple is the exception comeback story, not the rule.

I am taking this opportunity to make a list of what not to do in the future.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 11:30 AM
    Wrong thread....

Posted via CB10
    rarsen likes this.
    09-24-13 11:31 AM
    Related???

Fairfax Financial preparing to buy back shares
    Toronto-based company seeking regulatory approval to buy back 800,000 shares
    Text size:IncreaseDecreaseResetShare via EmailPrint Report an Error
    Save to Mystar
    By: The Canadian Press, Published on Tue Sep 24 2013
    EXPLORE THIS STORY
    0 COMMENTS
    Save to Mystar
    Share on Facebook

inShare
    Reddit this!
    Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. says it’s preparing to buy back some of its own publicly traded shares over the next year.
    The Toronto-based company says it’s seeking regulatory approval to buy back up to 800,000 subordinate shares.
    Based on Monday’s closing price of $420.45, the maximum buyback would cost Fairfax about $336.4 million and represent about five per cent of the public float.
    The actual number and price will depend on prevailing market conditions during the normal course issuer bid, which would run for a year starting Sept. 26.
    Under Fairfax’s previous share buyback program, it paid an average of $370.15 to purchase 116,391 of the shares for a total of about $43 million.
    The announcement, which essentially extends an existing share buyback program for another year, comes a day after Fairfax made a conditional offer to buy BlackBerry Ltd. in a deal valued at $4.7 billion (U.S.)
    danprown, Corbu, sidhuk and 5 others like this.
    09-24-13 11:31 AM
    So right now those shares are being sold at 8.85 on BB.to and my sell price is 8.99....does this mean I can recycle shares all day and make an arbitrage?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using CB Forums mobile app
    09-24-13 11:32 AM
    Prem Watsa's offer is a bluff. Closer observation by Wall St. has now convinced some investors that Watsa does not have financial backing. Fairfax is refusing to contribute to the deal other than its already current 10% BBRY ownership and must find other investors contributing real cash to finance the deal. The only reason he made the offer was probably to provoke a competing deal with proper financing and to make BBRY shares appear to have a 9 USD/share floor.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    09-24-13 11:33 AM
    Perm has not done an offer, he has signed a letter of intent subject to continuing due diligence, reaching a final agreement and getting shareholder vote. So it is not 100% certain that Perm will shortly pay all stockholder $9 per share.

But I would also have guessed that the price would trade closer to $9.
    Indeed, I thought SP would trade closer to $9. If i'm not mistaken, reading from the previous posts. Isn't Prem trying to get his hands on as many available shares as possible? So with a letter of intent, he is not adding or acquiring more shares ?
    09-24-13 11:33 AM
    Fairfax had $2.9B in cash at end June 2013. That's alot of BB shares.
    morganplus8, bungaboy and rarsen like this.
    09-24-13 11:36 AM
    Indeed, I thought SP would trade closer to $9. If i'm not mistaken, reading from the previous posts. Isn't Prem trying to get his hands on as many available shares as possible? So with a letter of intent, he is not adding or acquiring more shares ?
    No Cash

Fairfax doesn’t plan to invest more cash as part of the takeover bid, relying on others for the remaining financing. The investor will roll over its 9.9 percent stake in BlackBerry, worth $457 million as of today’s close, Watsa said. Other investors will be able to finance the rest of the purchase through equity and debt, he said.
    BlackBerry Gets Tentative $4.7 Billion Deal to Go Private - Bloomberg

So in actuality, there is no risk to Fairfax for putting up this deal since they already own the 10% stake. Fairfax is not paying 9 USD/share.
    09-24-13 11:38 AM
    Fairfax had $2.9B in cash at end June 2013. That's alot of BB shares.
    Due to their business they can't burn it. They could easily do half the deal with their own cash though.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 11:41 AM
    This whole story is fascinating ... so close to the final chapter of tome 1 and not yet a clue about who is The Hero here ...
    Do you watch Game of Thrones?

09-24-13 11:44 AM
    sssss......secret negotiations.........working on a bid for BB
    Either trying to sway him to start AndroidCrack.com...

OR ....having a 3rd party impartial demo of the 10.2 goodness and why samsung should buy it and put it on their phones.
    Randeman and bungaboy like this.
    09-24-13 11:51 AM
    Yes, ECC seems to have a future, but how much is the value of that patent? $200m, $500m, $50m?
    BlackBerry bought QNX for $200m so you could expect related patents value to be less than that?

Probably all the patents will be bought because there is the possibility that something valuable could came out of that in the future. But if the patents aren't relevant now the value could be low.

How much money is BB making from their patent portfolio?

The point is patents aren't an homogeneous good. You can't predict the value of patent portfolio from the value of other patent portfolio. That is naive or a fallacy that can make you lose money.
    We're going to continue to disagree about this but as I've said in other threads, it's not about book value or how valuable the patent is currently. With patents, you ARE talking about perceived value. I may look at a patent and value it at $5 million, another firm at $7. Patents are assets whether unused or not, and in business, it's not about the correlation between how much money service or patent x yields, rather how much money a firm is willing to spend to own service or patent x.

Take home note: patents will yield what the market is willing to bear for them.

Posted via CB10

Edit: And yes, firms often lose money in these transactions trying to expand their portfolios. But that's the risk you take, and intellectual property can give you a competitive advantage, which is the end goal, particular in tech businesses.
    abouthsu, bungaboy and Kid Vibe like this.
    09-24-13 11:53 AM
    Re patents, I found this informative. At least it give the actual number of patents held (>5K), and puts it in perspective. It would be interesting to see the Scotia Bank study referred to in the article. I still do not know how many are SEP, FRAND encumbered etc.
    The Numbers Behind BlackBerry’s Patent Goldmine - Corporate Intelligence - WSJ

or

http://envisionip.com/blog/2012/07/16/518/
    Last edited by danprown; 09-24-13 at 12:38 PM.
    09-24-13 12:26 PM
    My money is still on Amazon. It might not be a cash-only transaction but it makes too much sense. If they were interested in a deal back in 2011 we should be hearing from them.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    09-24-13 12:29 PM
    Where is the 8 corporation press release?

Posted via CB10
    Kid Vibe likes this.
    09-24-13 12:42 PM
    My money is still on Amazon. It might not be a cash-only transaction but it makes too much sense. If they were interested in a deal back in 2011 we should be hearing from them.

Posted via CB10
    They were only rumored to be interested in 2011. Further, their public statement that they aren't interested still didn't sway you?
    09-24-13 12:44 PM
113,256 ... 20062007200820092010 ...