View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    If you knew your history, you would be aware that it was Jobs that was at the helm for both the struggling Apple and then some years later where he instigated and led Apple's remarkable resurgence.
    Do you see someone with the AURA of Jobs around BBRY ? Usually White Knight are in Disney Books not on Walls Street....
    09-22-13 01:04 PM
    I Agree it REALLY fascinating... and Especially when you don't have any position, since you can see the things more clearly.

Seeing how peoples react or not about this stock is Crazy !!! The only other Stock that I see that can compare is AAPL some peoples are very emotive with AAPL but it doesn't reach the emotionality of BBRY...
    i think a lot of it has to do with nationalism. without exception, the most ardent defenders of BB here are proud canadians who are helplessly watching their only big tech company - the once pride of canada - wither away and die. this makes it personal. it's like watching your home team lose the BIG game - you associate their success/failure with your own.
    09-22-13 01:09 PM
    I'm in for whatever it is.
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    09-22-13 01:16 PM
    . . . . . . . . Could be a good ride, at least in short term.
    Yes they are fun . . . . as long as the other half doesn't find out!
    sidhuk and m0de25 like this.
    09-22-13 01:27 PM
    i think a lot of it has to do with nationalism. without exception, the most ardent defenders of BB here are proud canadians who are helplessly watching their only big tech company - the once pride of canada - wither away and die. this makes it personal. it's like watching your home team lose the BIG game - you associate their success/failure with your own.
    the Canadian Press has declared BB dead, awaiting the funeral. so, no it is not Canadian Nationalism, does that even exist? It is the reality that the stock is under priced., plain and simple. Now you may not get that, that's OK, most people don't get that. Again that is the reason BB is underpriced.
    09-22-13 01:30 PM
    Man, so basically BBRY sold 2.8M BB10 phones in the first half year of its launch? That is crazy.

BBRY really need sell itself asap, otherwise it will become another Nortel, at least right now it has some cash and patent and service dept worth some money.
    09-22-13 01:31 PM
    Well reading some comments, I believe it's time AGAIN.
    FYI, this has been posted for the last time 09-16-2013, 09:43 AM.

It's been quite a long time since I've copied this within the thread. With the upcoming news/events, I believe it's appropriate to do it now. Please note this is a quote from OP, but due to the length of this thread, most new contributors wont read OP ...

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

If you're not used to deal with stocks, the following should be your starting point.

1. This is real money. Your money. There's no tryouts nor refunds.
    2. You must establish what is your capacity before entering the game. Set it and keep it as an absolute limit (you can add later, depending on your revenues profile). Generally, something like 15% of your currently available and free cash is a reasonable amount. Do not speculate with money you don't own in full (credit). If you lose, don't rely on things like "averaging down" or "buy on dips" unless you have additional cash that fits with this rule.
    3. Stay calm. Looking at the stock on a day basis is hard for your nerves. Either good or bad, fluctuations can happen very fast.
    4. We are a drop in the bucket, even those of us with 100s K $ in the game are nothing if we compare to the global cap (count in $K Billions)
    5. Those playing "against" you have more power, more money and know how the market can react. You don't. Do not use "everyday" logic here. This "game" has its own rules and it takes a while to understand/accept them.
    6. One possible approach is to play "long" (counting in years), this particular approach is the one I suggested when starting this thread back in Feb 2011. I personally stick to this approach, as it appears to be somehow the most adapted for rookies like us, engaging tiny amounts and with very limited skills. Be careful about fees/taxes you may have to pay for each transaction: they can ruin your gains easily.
    7. Please be aware that if you consider investing in stocks, mixing different companies and types of investments (ex : safe, aggressive, short term, long term) is highly recommended.
    8. Last but not least : stay humble and prudent.

Disclaimer : By no mean I intend to forecast a raise of the shares or any kind of advantage. You have to perform your own research. Positions, experiences, questions and suggestions made in this thread are personal views and NOT authorized investment instructions. Be aware that You can lose everything and neither I nor any contributor in this thread will be responsible for this in any circumstance.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-22-13 01:33 PM
    the Canadian Press has declared BB dead, awaiting the funeral. so, no it is not Canadian Nationalism, does that even exist? It is the reality that the stock is under priced., plain and simple. Now you may not get that, that's OK, most people don't get that. Again that is the reason BB is underpriced.
    I agree BBRY is underpriced right now, but as time goes on, its value is dropping crazy.

It has no way to success that is why all the Presses declared the death.
    09-22-13 01:33 PM
    You are right... and wrong. If they simply held up their hands and said they were quitting, they would struggle to overload the inventory - this is how this is going to its going to go down. The key bit in the press release is that they plan to have a portfolio of four devices - this is the Z10, Z30, Q5, Q10. once they have run down the units, then they will come clean and do a clean exit from hardware. BB10 hasn't ramped, we know it, they know, app developers know it, enterprise knows it - going forward it is a lame duck - the only option is to grow services as quickly as possible and become hardware agonistic. Once we get a full picture of the recent layoffs, I will be amazed if the hardware division is not wiped out in everything but name.
    From what I've read (and my personal research+feelings) your portfolio is not the one I can forecast.
    Z10 wil die, replaced by Z30 => "prosumers"
    Q10 an Q5 will be completed with a Curve like=> enterprises.
    That's my reading as of date.

Disclaimer : I have hundreds of pages/posts/sites late to read to update tough.

edit : I revisited this later:
    Z10 => Z5 (or "C") as the enterprise low cost all touch (and end of Z10).
    Q10, Q5 for enterprises
    Z30 for prosumers.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-22-13 at 02:36 PM.
    09-22-13 01:36 PM
    believing "I am right and the market is wrong" is the height of hubris and usually doesn't end well.
    09-22-13 01:37 PM
    Man, so basically BBRY sold 2.8M BB10 phones in the first half year of its launch? That is crazy.

BBRY really need sell itself asap, otherwise it will become another Nortel, at least right now it has some cash and patent and service dept worth some money.
    shipped or sold?
    09-22-13 01:42 PM
    If we believed that the market price of any stock is correct, we would never invest in a stock, would we?
    We only invest in a stock, whether long or short, when we believe that the market price is not what it should be.
    09-22-13 01:43 PM
    believing "I am right and the market is wrong" is the height of hubris and usually doesn't end well.
    and who are you to judge? other than a troll?
    09-22-13 01:44 PM
    If we believed that the market price of any stock is correct, we would never invest in a stock, would we?
    We only invest in a stock, whether long or short, when we believe that the market price is not what it should be.
    you are confusing speculating vs. investing.
    aniym likes this.
    09-22-13 01:45 PM
    you are confusing speculating vs. investing.
    there is no difference, all investing is speculation.
    bungaboy, cjcampbell and abouthsu like this.
    09-22-13 01:46 PM
    and who are you to judge? other than a troll?
    who's judging? how's your strategy working out for you so far?
    09-22-13 01:46 PM
    who's judging? how's your strategy working out for you so far?
    fine, but then you don't know my strategy
    morganplus8 and cjcampbell like this.
    09-22-13 01:48 PM
    When is a loss not a loss? This is an interesting take on events. This is a composite of other posts on CrackBerry.

Investopedia explains 'Write-Down'

Write-downs are typically reflected in a company's income statement as an above-the-line expense, thereby reducing net income. This, however, is not always a bad thing, since a write-down is simply a paper loss, which, since it lowers net income, will reduce a firm's tax burden. Companies will usually attempt to time large write-downs together, so they can "take a bath" in one reporting period with the hope of quickly recovering in the next period.

Here is a simple example it costs $100 to build a z10, and they build 2,000,000 extra (inventory cost, $200M). They think they are going to sell them at $700 a piece, they get entered into the books as an asset of $1.4B.
    Sales are slow, so they still have 200,000 of them, but they adjust there asset value to $200 each, for a $1B writedown.

Show me the loss. It isn't real. If they still sell those BlackBerry's at $200 a piece, they make $200M

It is the same as the playbook write down. It is a paper loss.

They generated $3.6b in revenue, employees were all paid, cash in the bank remained relatively unchanged. The only thing that changed was a received value of the goods they produced....

They broke even except for this write down. This write down didn't cost them a penny...
    09-22-13 01:49 PM
    shipped or sold?

does not matter, 2.8M in half year, which 100% put the platform in death.

Even for WP, it sold about 14M WP8 phones in the same period.

As a mobile OS platform, it is done.
    09-22-13 01:49 PM
    [QUOTE=cgk[/QUOTE]

i said i wanted to bump the mean median, i thought that was for entertainment. so, you want to use that as weapon in your discussions now? wow, that indeed is low.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-22-13 01:51 PM
    i said i wanted to bump the mean median, i thought that was for entertainment. so, you want to use that as weapon in your discussions now? wow, that indeed is low.
    That's fair comment I've deleted it.
    silversun10 and cjcampbell like this.
    09-22-13 01:53 PM
    NOTE: herpa derp... I didn't quote and I don't know how to quote after I post. Anyways this was in response to the suggestion that BB should have gone Android.

I hope you realize rewriting the kernel to be secure and then rewriting Dalvik to be secure would be huge. Even if BB went with android they would essentially have to make the android app player anyways to replace Dalvik with a secure VM. Still a ton of work and keep in mind a lot of manufacturers have their value add skins but that doesn't mean they do well either. But in the end we will never know...
    morganplus8 and sidhuk like this.
    09-22-13 01:54 PM
    From what I've read (and my personal research+feelings) your portfolio is not the one I can forecast.
    Z10 wil die, replaced by Z30 => "prosumers"
    Q10 an Q5 will be completed with a Curve like=> enterprises.
    That's my reading as of date. .
    Hi Superfly... just my opinion, not based on clues, but I think the Z10 (or its successor) will stay, and the Q5 will go. The Z30 will be a very big phone, and I know people with smaller hands would prefer a smaller form. It would make sense to offer two different touch screens. Also, I don't see where a Q5 will fit in a government and prosumer lineup.... I think those organizations would just get a Q10. But, it will be interesting to see!
    Randeman and Superfly_FR like this.
    09-22-13 02:07 PM
    None will go because nothing else is coming down the pipe - that would cost money and increase contractual obligations at a time when they are trying to be lean and attractive to a buyer.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
    09-22-13 02:12 PM
    We will provide you an update on timing as soon as we can. Teams are working non-stop. Sign up for launch alerts at BBM for Android & iOS - Download BlackBerry Messenger with BBM Video & Screen Share - US

-Blackberry

A few of my friends have BBM on their iPhone... Some workers have said that their employers are implementing them to use BBM as well.

Expecting to see more 8's on the TSX. Fear is that a private buyout occurs that is a lowball 10-12 dollar range. Hopes for a licensing deal. ER is Friday. Arguably TH's biggest ER moment.

When is a loss not a loss? This is an interesting take on events. This is a composite of other posts on CrackBerry.

They broke even except for this write down. This write down didn't cost them a penny...
    Not as knowledgeable on the subject as you, but unfortunately every analyst is making a massive deal out of the "loss". It's too bad really... It's almost as if when you invest you should honestly dumb down and follow the herd.
    09-22-13 02:17 PM
113,252 ... 19851986198719881989 ...