Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Hey, can I have a break ?
    This TA pro and cons just bother me.
    When I read one, I pass on, when I see several, I pass on, when I need to scroll pages and pages I still pass on. When I read last one that has obvious unfair args (a random selection of unordered dates) I just refrain to add OT lines and shoot the author.
    Thus, I use a general reminder with a bit of humor, to avoid the thread going on fire again. I don't care who wrote it, I don't care if it's pro or con. I'm not a judge, there's no trial. Just try to keep this place somehow on topic and friendly enough.

That's why I only quoted a few words.
    That's why I shouldn't have to explain.

Thank you very much and have a bright Friday !

Peace.
    SF

Datz From my Z10 amigo.
    You a hall of famer in my books Super! ("Remember the titans" reference)
    09-20-13 08:07 AM
    me thinks tis another candidate for your IG_LST.
    Me thinks you are right.
    09-20-13 08:10 AM
    Hello Morgan,

Thanks for the info, quite informative. I did not want to sound like I was debating, I was more asking about it, and I really have a better understanding now. Sorry if I came accross as a non believer or a challenger, that was never my intention. If anything, you just sold me on getting better at TA, as I love numbers and am always analyzing just about everything, at work or at home. Must admit it drives my spouse crazy, but as you said, if it could be used to make her a few grand, there woould be nothing wrong with that!. Sounds like TA is right up my alley.

Again, keep up the informative pieces, they are quite helpful.
    Hi jfguay2!!

Your apology is not accepted, you did nothing wrong, I must apologize if my response to your legitimate question came off as if I've talking down to you. I didn't mean to do that. So I apologize! My biggest complaint with this site, CB that is, is the amount of space given to type your message, it is so small that I often just type fast, get my thoughts down and post the message without reading or reviewing what I said. I then look at it (if my wife is not leaning over my shoulder!) and check to be sure I didn't say something I'll regret. But often it happens that I post something quickly and get away from my PC before she finds out! I attempted to give a realtime example to your question and it might have come off as somehow being pushy, that is not my intention. Nuff said, there was an excellent chart posted somewhat later that extended my chart to include TWO Inverse Head & Shoulders and a really nice set of boobs which made me forget about your response until this morning. Best of luck with your investments.
    difabs, cjcampbell, sidhuk and 8 others like this.
    09-20-13 08:11 AM
    It's amazing the amount of free marketing the media pretty much does on iPhone launch days.

Posted via CB10
    You can't complain about that. We, BlackBerry, get our equal share...only, ours is all spun negative. That, we can complain about.
    Jahcure, rarsen, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    09-20-13 08:12 AM
    If we have to use this thread for non-BBRY stock discussion, could you gents please find a way to mark the posts clearly as being such?

Maybe putting "Off-topic: ACAD" as the first line, or something like that, would be sufficient. (Even just "non-BBRY"?)

I don't mind the odd bit, but when there's charts posted, and running discussions about things that aren't BBRY, and I can afford only 5-10 minutes to pop in and review 10+ pages of posts, it would really make my morning run smoother if I could skip the non-BBRY stuff more easily.

Thanks!!!
    difabs, Corbu and gmsm like this.
    09-20-13 08:15 AM
    me thinks tis another candidate for your IG_LST.
    No, not yet. Will let it play out for the time being.
    09-20-13 08:24 AM
    More information that we all know but, it's nice to see it in print every now and then...

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): BlackBerry Is Far From Dead. Right Sized, It Will Have A Profitable Future - Seeking Alpha
    09-20-13 08:25 AM
    No, not yet. Will let it play out for the time being.
    Sometimes, you let them run with the line a little before you set the hook.
    09-20-13 08:26 AM
    Was just reading about different options strategies. so here is the definition of "naked puts"

Investopedia explains 'Naked Put'
    Naked puts are very risky since the writer can lose big if the underlying asset moves opposite to the desired direction. But, profits are huge if the underlying asset moves in the right direction.

trying to understand the "risky" part. if I own the underlying asset and i write put against the security i own. worse case scenario, the stocks get call away rite? its not like i need to go back to the market and buy the market rate to replace.?

Good nite gang!!
    Good morning abouthsu !!

You are so right to wonder why this type of trade is so risky, in fact, it is less risky than simply buying the underlying stock. When you purchase a stock like BlackBerry in the open market for $ 10.00/shr, you are risking $ 10.00/shr! If you sell naked Puts on the same security for a $ 1.00/shr, and you are "Put to" you end up buying the stock for the "net" amount of $ 9.00/shr so your risk in the investment is only limited to $ 9.00/shr.. Now, the goal of selling naked Puts is to possibly acquire the stock at a lower price, or, to have those options expire worthless and keep the funds to do it again. I will have sold all of my ACAD stock today, I will wait for the stock to drop a bit and then I will sell some naked Puts which simply means that I can be Put to or be required to buy, those shares at the pre-agreed upon strike price. If the stock drops to $ 21.00/shr and I sell the January $ 21.00 strike Puts for $ 3.00/contract, I will be purchasing the stock for $ 18.00/shr if, I'm Put to. That's the price that I'm prepared to get back into the stock so that plan works for me. Note that I don't own any shares, I'm not writing Puts against any position in the stock because with Puts, you are trying to acquire those shares or open a position, not anything like Calls where you are actually trying to derive some income and protection for shares you already own. I sell a ton of Puts, that's how I bought most of my BBRY, I also have 80% of them expire worthless and have to keep the money and try again.

The reason why we need to sell some Puts out to January is to dodge a massive capital gains problem this year. Using the 30 day rule, I need to hold a possible position in the stock prior to 30 days of selling out that initial positon that we took profits on, in order to claim that I "never actually sold those shares" in the eyes of the taxman. So I need to get back into this position again for tax reasons!!
    09-20-13 08:27 AM
    http://mobilizer.instapaper.com/m?u=...Fsource%3Dfeed
    Pretty good article.
    Edit. Too late, already been posted
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-20-13 08:33 AM
    [OT]
    Ok guys, I'm out for today (and probably most of the weekend) going to Chinon (West of France) to fill some (*ahum*, many ) bottles with local wine. Have a nice time, stay cool and enjoy all the brightness of the Z30 !
    cheers,
    SF
    09-20-13 08:35 AM
    Sometimes, you let them run with the line a little before you set the hook.
    And then . . . . . the jig is up!
    Randeman, cjcampbell and sidhuk like this.
    09-20-13 08:54 AM
    A quick chart on BBRY:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-chart-sept-20-2013.jpg

As you can see, our extreme, blue pennant lines don't seem to be coming into play as the stock is so stable now. So I tightened up those lines with the green ones to show you where the closes are occuring over the past 6 weeks. We are likely to remain positive here, move slightly upward and wait for news to change this dynamic.

Disclaimer:
    I am now including a warning with my charts so that everyone is onside with how things can change in an instant.

WARNING!!!!!!!!

If a nuclear bomb should hit America and destroy the Government as we know it today, there is a good chance that the price of the stock (BBRY) will reflect that news as does news of any event affect the price of a stock over and above its current TA. So please, if you are a terrorist .... or even a single mother of 3 lovely children, and you build bombs that can take down America, please post your true intentions to this thread so that we can adjust our "possible range" for the stock for newbies each day. Thank you.
    (This message was brought to you on behalf of the ***** who shouldn't be on this thread in the frist place).
    09-20-13 08:59 AM
    Not sure if this was posted before:

BlackBerryBB.T -0.46% will open up its popular BlackBerry Messenger Service to iPhone and Android users this weekend, a bold move to strengthen its share in the fast-growing smartphone business that is now dominated by Samsung and Apple.

On Thursday, the Canadian smartphone manufacturer partnered with Micromax Informatics Ltd., India’s second largest smartphone seller, to make BBM available on Micromax’s Canvas platforms. The Wall Street Journal spoke to Sunil Lalvani, the managing director of Blackberry India, to understand how the company plans to widen BBM’s use in India. Read an interview with Tyson Verstraete, the head of BlackBerry’s app’s market development division, on our technology blog.

Edited Excerpts:

The Wall Street Journal: Why should advertisers chose BBM over other messaging apps?
    Sunil Lalvani: Ten billion messages are exchanged between the BBM users’ community every day. Almost half of them are read within 20 seconds. From an advertisers point, it just shows how engaged that user community is. What we are looking at is not just the number of users, but how engaged they are to the user community.

WSJ: BBM doesn’t automatically pick up contacts from the address book like other apps such as Whastapp and WeChat. Is that going to limit the number of users?

Mr. Lalvani: Respecting a user’s privacy on BBM is of paramount importance; only when you share the BBM PIN with somebody else can the two of them or a group of users stay connected. We don’t want to tamper with your address book; that’s very intrusive.

WSJ: How do you plan to popularize the BBM app in India?

Mr. Lalvani: We are targeting three markets: Existing BBM users; those who have used BBM but possibly moved to other platforms; and those who have never used BBM. Even with existing BBM users, there some who use other messaging apps because of cross-platform availability. That’s a user base which is comfortable with BBM, have been using BBM, and the only reason they downloaded a second or a third app was because BBM was a closed-user group of only Blackberry users. With BBM on Android and iOS, there is a big user segment that will say, ‘Now BBM is across platforms, I don’t need a second or third app. BBM will become my primary instant messaging application.’

Similarly, there are users who have used BBM earlier, but moved to other platforms. They may want to come back. So, these are former users who will go to the Android and Apple store and download BBM. For those who have never used BBM, we have made registration a lot more simple. One can log on to BBM.com, do a one-time registration and download the app.
    We are hoping the active BBM user base in India is going make the app viral by word of mouth.
    jmehta22, Randeman and rarsen like this.
    09-20-13 09:02 AM
    Well . . . . . he could make up for it by partnering with BBRY.

Microsoft CEO regrets ignoring that new technology, the phone

Reuters

Published Friday, Sep. 20 2013, 8:52 AM EDT
    Last updated Friday, Sep. 20 2013, 8:52 AM EDT

Microsoft Corp. Chief Executive Steve Ballmer has made an impassioned plea to investors to support his vision of the world’s largest software company as a unified devices and services powerhouse in his swan song before Wall Street.

Ballmer, who in August said he planned to step down within 12 months, told investors and analysts in an annual meeting on Thursday that Microsoft had a bright future, despite missteps under his 13-year tenure.

“We have the tools. There’s economic upside here. In the long run, we are almost uniquely poised to seize the opportunity,” he said, in a typically high-volume presentation. “Today I’m speaking as an investor. You all own Microsoft stock, cheer for it, for God’s sake.”

Ballmer, who took over from co-founder Bill Gates as CEO in 2000, did acknowledge that under his leadership the company was too focused on Windows to realize that Apple Inc.’s iPhone was revolutionizing computing.

“If there’s one thing I regret, there was a period in the early 2000s when we were so focused on what we had to do around Windows that we weren’t able to redeploy talent to the new device form factor called the phone,” said Ballmer.

After losing ground to Apple and Google Inc. in mobile and Internet arenas for the last 10 years, Ballmer in July launched an ambitious reorganization focused on “devices and services.” He announced his retirement only six weeks later amid pressure from some discontented shareholders.

Ballmer said the top layers of that reorganization had taken effect, but the new functionally organized groups were at different stages in working out exactly how they will be structured. The company had no comments on the progress of the board’s search for a new CEO.

“It really was a fundamental shift from running a set of separate business units where we tried to make connection points to running a company that is essentially one integrated entity,” said Ballmer, attempting to explain his vision.

During four hours of presentations, which were interrupted for about half an hour due to a power cut, Microsoft executives expanded on Ballmer’s idea, explaining how the company would continue its push into making its own hardware – following the deal to buy phone maker Nokia – and would stress services rather than products, while keeping individual consumers in mind rather than chiefly concentrating on businesses.

Qi Lu, the executive in charge of applications and services, hinted that Microsoft’s popular Office suite of applications would at some point be available on the iPad, a market that one analyst put at $2.5-billion a year. He said Microsoft was currently working on “touch first” versions – as opposed to traditional keyboard and mouse versions – of core Office applications such as Outlook, Word and Excel which would at some point feature on devices running Windows, and would be available on other platforms when they were ready and “financially sensible.”

Chief Financial Officer Amy Hood explained that Microsoft would start reporting quarterly financial data in five new blocks based around themes rather than products such as Windows or Office. Hood said the new reporting structure – which essentially separates consumer and commercial business, and then divides revenue streams between hardware and software licensing – would begin at its next earnings in October, and was aimed at giving more insight into the company’s economic approach.

Ballmer closed the presentations, in Bellevue, Washington, on an optimistic note as he prepared to transition from CEO to an interested bystander who owns 4 per cent of the company.

“The company needs to produce every day. We’ve got a little headwind but we’ve got plenty of upside,” he said. “The ultimate measure of a place has got to be what happens with profits. As a shareholder I will hold us accountable for continuing to focus in on good short-term results and at the same time making investments that give us an opportunity to generate someday another $10, $15, $20, $25-billion of incremental profit.”
    09-20-13 09:06 AM
    Look at these turncoats waiting online for the new iPhone... in Canada!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-iphone-wait-lines-canada.jpg
    09-20-13 09:10 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iphone wait lines canada.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	203729
    Lots there but judging by the coral system they've set up, it seems they were expecting more?
    morganplus8, Corbu, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    09-20-13 09:16 AM
    Twitter has been inserting sponsored adverts (in the form of sponsored posts) into the timeline for a while now, that you say you don't see them suggests that they have managed to crack making seamless to users.
    I agree, but I love teh growth and user mix and demographic they are reaching. The opportunity is there for the taking and they have a head start, they just have to cease it. If they don't "my space" it, they should be golden.
    Randeman likes this.
    09-20-13 09:18 AM
    Just finished editing the thread to help the poster out on that article, too, here on the site.
    09-20-13 09:19 AM
    Beautiful morning in NYC. Way better than the crapple line up.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000203.jpg

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 09:21 AM
    Finally doing some smart marketing? In London, UK btw.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bunlqqnciaefz7h.jpg
    09-20-13 09:23 AM
    so much for a TGIF! looks like every single stock is getting beaten down today
    09-20-13 09:26 AM
    Finally doing some smart marketing? In London, UK btw.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BUnLqQnCIAEFz7H.jpg 
Views:	666 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	203736
    I think this is great marketing. The reason why I like this is for a couple reasons.

1. It obviously speaks to people who use IM services quite a bit through use of the emoticon.

2. It takes the higher ground in the BB vs iphone realm in a very successful cheeky sort of way. It shows that BB wants this to be a friendly relationship and doesn't care that their product is now on other platforms in fact they embrace it and want to promote it.

3. This type of marketing is proving to be share worthy. It has already popped up on here a couple times but the telling story for me is that the first time we saw it on this thread was a screencap of a girl tweeting a picture of the marketing. I think if you start to pay attention to it this weekend more people are going to be sharing it and starting to express stories of "can't wait to re-unite with BBM" and "I always missed having BBM". We all know that word of mouth marketing is the best form of marketing out there and creating an execution that is share worthy to people is worth its weight in gold.

4. ITS RIGHT OUTSIDE A FRICKEN APPLE STORE! The weekend they launch their new phones. Like come on - brilliant.
    09-20-13 09:31 AM
    Just finished editing the thread to help the poster out on that article, too, here on the site.
    Tough Job you got, I suggest giving some cleanup powers to CJ for this thread may reduce or increase your workload. LOL.
    Edit: corrected Fort his. To For This.
    Randeman and bungaboy like this.
    09-20-13 09:31 AM
    Wait 'til they discover that I hacked in and pre-loaded BBMx on it. At least 50 more converts to BBM!
    09-20-13 09:32 AM
113,256 ... 19591960196119621963 ...