View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    That article makes some good points but misses plenty of others. It assumes most apps won't support 64bit which is probably true but not for the reason they state. The reason many apps may stay 32bit is their performance is not constrained by the CPU. Any app that can benefit will probably be converted quickly.
    09-15-13 06:41 PM
    Haha. Yes you are definitely reaching there.

Edit: intended in response to notafanboy's comment, not the one directly above.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-15-13 06:43 PM
    I assume you are unfamiliar with concepts such as virtual memory, ASLR and memory mapped files? Also the ARMv8 architecture contains significant enactments over and about the 64bit CPU registers.

Samsung now claims there next phone will be 64bit btw.
    Aslr already is around. Mapping massive files and massive virtual memory on my cell phone. What for? Running massive photo editing jobs or running databases. No thanks I have a box for that.

Samsung just copies what other companies put out. Plain and simple. Just how they were making a watch when crapple rumours surfaced.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 06:45 PM
    That article makes some good points but misses plenty of others. It assumes most apps won't support 64bit which is probably true but not for the reason they state. The reason many apps may stay 32bit is their performance is not constrained by the CPU. Any app that can benefit will probably be converted quickly.
    Right let me port over all my database apps for iOS. Lol!

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-15-13 06:46 PM
    Aslr already is around. Mapping massive files and massive virtual memory on my cell phone. What for? Running massive photo editing jobs or running databases. No thanks I have a box for that.

Samsung just copies what other companies put out. Plain and simple. Just how they were making a watch when crapple rumours surfaced.

Posted via CB10
    ASLR is randomization of a processes virtual address space to make it less vulnerable to malware. It's obviously going to work better in a 64bit address space.

You may not want compute power in a smartphone or even a tablet, but that does not mean a 64bit ARM CPU is not innovative.
    09-15-13 06:51 PM
    Haha. Yes you are definitely reaching there.

Edit: intended in response to notafanboy's comment, not the one directly above.

Reaching? How? You can't just say "reaching!" every time you want to shut down a discussion. Reasons are needed. Here's mine.

Superfly chose ADGrant's post to politely suggest that the innovation discussion be taken somewhere else. Recognizing that Superfly may not have read the previous pages, I jumped in and pointed out that it wasn't ADGrant who brought the thread off-topic in the first place. I also noted that in Superfly's choice of who to quote, that there appeared to be a double standard on who's allowed to go off-topic.

tl;dr It was Morgan who brought up Apple's lack of innovation. ADGrant was simply replying to it. Others joined the off-topic discussion. ADgrant was the one who got dinged.
    09-15-13 06:56 PM
    ASLR is randomization of a processes virtual address space to make it less vulnerable to malware. It's obviously going to work better in a 64bit address space.

You may not want compute power in a smartphone or even a tablet, but that does not mean a 64bit ARM CPU is not innovative.
    Sorry everyone I'll stop feeding. But I'll end with saying that moving up to a 64 bit architecture is not innovation. It doesn't make sense in a mobile environment. Especially when there are more important concerns such as battery constrains. If anything given that going to a 64 bit architecture is a step in the wrong direction.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, rarsen and leafs123 like this.
    09-15-13 06:58 PM
    Sorry everyone I'll stop feeding. But I'll end with saying that moving up to a 64 bit architecture is not innovation. It doesn't make sense in a mobile environment. Especially when there are more important concerns such as battery constrains. If anything given that going to a 64 bit architecture is a step in the wrong direction.

Posted via CB10
    You sound like the old RIM CEO who thought cameras in smartphones were a gimmick. You can't say something is not innovation because you platform doesn't have it.
    09-15-13 07:01 PM
    At the Intel developer forum it was revealed that the soon to be released KitKat would have 64-bit support as well. In the future when your phone is also your PC, the need will become more apparent.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/10263850...ts/Q7iMLvddj66

So it would appear that the pattern holds. Everyone is "stepping in the wrong direction" while BlackBerry holds the course and gets left behind.
    ADGrant likes this.
    09-15-13 07:04 PM
    Reaching? How? You can't just say "reaching!" every time you want to shut down a discussion. Reasons are needed. Here's mine.

Superfly chose ADGrant's post to politely suggest that the innovation discussion be taken somewhere else. Recognizing that Superfly may not have read the previous pages, I jumped in and pointed out that it wasn't ADGrant who brought the thread off-topic in the first place. I also noted that in Superfly's choice of who to quote, that there appeared to be a double standard on who's allowed to go off-topic.

tl;dr It was Morgan who brought up Apple's lack of innovation. ADGrant was simply replying to it. Others joined the off-topic discussion. ADgrant was the one who got dinged.
    I'm not interested in shutting down any discussion. After all, discussion is what these forums are for.

However, at a certain point, discussions need to be separated from one another so as to allow multiple topics to be discussed. This is precisely why forums are constructed with different threads.

If there is sufficient demand by members here to discuss the topic of innovation in mobile OSs then a new thread on this would thrive. If you would like to discuss it, open a thread and let's give it a whirl

That's different than going into a thread that is about something obviously different and driving the conversation elsewhere.

It's not discrimination, it's just maintaining the structures of a forum.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 07:07 PM
    At the Intel developer forum it was revealed that the soon to be released KitKat would have 64-bit support as well. In the future when your phone is also your PC, the need will become more apparent.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/10263850...ts/Q7iMLvddj66

So it would appear that the pattern holds. Everyone is "stepping in the wrong direction" while BlackBerry holds the course and gets left behind.
    What I'm saying is there are more important things to innovate on. Such as getting better battery life or storing more power in batteries.

Moving to 64 bits in the mobile space at this point isn't necessary. Eventually it will be, but not now. It's an upgrade and not innovation.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 07:10 PM

It's not discrimination, it's just maintaining the structures of a forum.
    dusdal, I agree with trying to keep threads on topic. That wasn't my point though. You're ignored three times already the point that it wasn't ADGrant who started the off-topic discussion.

Anyway, here's my contribution: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...8/#post9174907
    Innovation as regards to 64-bit architecture can be continued there.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-15-13 07:33 PM
    It may have been out on another phone but apparently it didn't work so well.

I am amazed that you or anyone can argue with a straight face that launching the worlds first phone with a 64bit CPU is not innovative. Perhaps you don't understand the significance.

The 5s is also the first camera with a variable color temperature flash system. I suspect you may not understand the significance if that either.
    The sad thing is that AMD innovated 64bit. Look up the Athlon 64 series. Amazing product that crushed Intel. Intel still sold more through brainwashed consumers and some very shady dealings. Anyway the sad thing is that Apple will probably make more money than AMD on this. Apple tends to do that. As for the fingerprint reader. The Atrix had that, and it worked fine. The problem was the phone was laggy beyond belief despite having a very beefy SoC
    09-15-13 07:33 PM
    BBRY will get sold for at most 15/share.

Buyers have an interest to keep the cost low to minimise their risk .

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for the in depth analysis! =)

Comparing this to M+8s posts makes me even more sure this will be around $20-$24 all said and done.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 07:34 PM
    Now lets examine how well HTML5 works when no browser fully supports it or its codecs. I still believe Flash is superior and will be superior for at the very least another year. Flash "just works".
    09-15-13 07:37 PM
    The sad thing is that AMD innovated 64bit. Look up the Athlon 64 series. Amazing product that crushed Intel. Intel still sold more through brainwashed consumers and some very shady dealings. Anyway the sad thing is that Apple will probably make more money than AMD on this. Apple tends to do that. As for the fingerprint reader. The Atrix had that, and it worked fine. The problem was the phone was laggy beyond belief despite having a very beefy SoC
    No they didn't. 64 bit CPUs have been around since then70s. The Cray-1 was 64bit.
    09-15-13 07:38 PM
    But who actually brought it to the masses. AMD.
    EDIT: Although I guess this depends on your definition. We can agree to disagree? :P
    09-15-13 07:41 PM
    Anyone other here from Vancouver BC and does a lot of option trading? I think me and Kid are from 604, love to meet up and learn something from someone local and have been doing option for a while. I'm gonna have more time coming up once the wife and kid goes on a 3 months vacation so I can finally get some reading done. PM me please.
    Kid Vibe likes this.
    09-15-13 07:45 PM
    Boy...what a great day.
    Played tennis in the morning. Went to buy a new guitar for my son and a new piano for my daughter in the afternoon. Had a nice dinner with family. Just came out of my sauna and now chilling with a glass of Crown while catching up on this thread. Hope everyone had a great weekend too.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 07:59 PM
    Why are people arguing over what Apple does. They decided to move from 32 to 64... Samsung thought it was a big enough thing that the next day they indicated that they'd be moving in that direction.

Even if its silly or not a useful function now, it's another data point that everyone else gets to promote... Intellectual discussions about how much ram is needed when someone walks into a retail store & some salesperson rattles off what a phone has including 64bit. That 64 bit is what Samsung refuses to give any daylight on.

It's the same thing w/ Siri, less than a week later Android offered something similar.

So here we're asking what's the point of 64 when the top 2 either have or will have it, where's BBRY?
    09-15-13 08:01 PM
    You sound like the old RIM CEO who thought cameras in smartphones were a gimmick. You can't say something is not innovation because you platform doesn't have it.

09-15-13 08:15 PM
    Anyone other here from Vancouver BC and does a lot of option trading? I think me and Kid are from 604, love to meet up and learn something from someone local and have been doing option for a while. I'm gonna have more time coming up once the wife and kid goes on a 3 months vacation so I can finally get some reading done. PM me please.
    No idea how to option trade lol... sorry man! But hey, once I'm in the green, I'm down for a Van-City meet.
    abouthsu likes this.
    09-15-13 08:25 PM
    dusdal, I agree with trying to keep threads on topic. That wasn't my point though. You're ignored three times already the point that it wasn't ADGrant who started the off-topic discussion.

Anyway, here's my contribution: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...8/#post9174907
    Innovation as regards to 64-bit architecture can be continued there.
    Apologies, I may have unconsciously filtered out "but he started it" arguments.

Thanks for starting a separate thread Re: 64 bit architecture.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-15-13 09:38 PM
    cgk, I don't think that's Morgan's guess, when he mentioned 3.7m, it was in reference to sales from Feb to June. I was hoping to get him to quantify what level of sales would correspond to the hardware business doing "extremely well." But alas he doesn't want to join the game.
    Opps, I'll remove him on the next update.
    09-16-13 01:58 AM
    not sure if this has been posted already. take it for what its worth but a few key points where the expectation are low for the upcoming qtr and sentiment around how TH spin the story and possible BBM launch might add some buffer to the SP drop. I'm still somewhat nervous about this qtr but who isn't. Hopefully we might be up for some surprises and hoping TH learned from the last qtr and come out swinging.

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): BlackBerry: Buy Now Or Buy It Cheaper Later? - Seeking Alpha
    09-16-13 02:27 AM
113,251 ... 19231924192519261927 ...