• Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Update from the developer of Instago

http://qmldevelopment.tumblr.com/pos...orld-numbers-2

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 05:51 PM
    From the Globe & Mail - Stars and Dogs of the week. Sep 13, 2013.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-apple-dog-week.jpg
    slipstream89, Bugmapper and sidhuk like this.
    09-14-13 06:04 PM
    Happy thoughts to all:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000583.jpg

Posted via CB10
    09-14-13 09:06 PM
    Seems like the Z30 will be coming to Canada sooner than most believe....

"We?re still hearing it?ll go up for sale sometime late September or early October. In addition, expect the Z30 to be priced around the $650 outright mark and come in Black."

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/09/14/ad...route-to-bell/
    09-14-13 10:44 PM
    Doesn't look good for Blackberry on Monday - apparently not much interest in buying the company as a whole, but companies do want to buy certain parts of Blackberry (which is kinda already known).

I wonder how this will affect the BBRY Stock. Typically companies buying "parts" of a company relates to an immediate downslide in the stock price. The stocks been down every day in the last week, down almost 10%+ from last Friday.
    09-14-13 11:41 PM
    Seems like the Z30 will be coming to Canada sooner than most believe....

"We?re still hearing it?ll go up for sale sometime late September or early October. In addition, expect the Z30 to be priced around the $650 outright mark and come in Black."

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/09/14/ad...route-to-bell/
    Can't wait to get my hands on the Z30. I hope they release it soon.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-15-13 12:29 AM
    Doesn't look good for Blackberry on Monday - apparently not much interest in buying the company as a whole, but companies do want to buy certain parts of Blackberry (which is kinda already known).

I wonder how this will affect the BBRY Stock. Typically companies buying "parts" of a company relates to an immediate downslide in the stock price. The stocks been down every day in the last week, down almost 10%+ from last Friday.
    Nothing really new here. These contradictory analysis are here for weeks now.
    Yet, for shareholders, I believe targeted acquisitions (I'd prefer alliances or J.Vs) is the best way to retain value in our paper.
    As M+8 stated, nothing but the media is driving the stock until we have some concrete informations.
    If we go under $10, I might consider upgrading my position to 1K, averaging down around $11.95.
    I won't rush anything before Tuesday anyways, my bank is closed on Mondays

Have a wonderful Sunday gang, I'm back on the golf course !
    09-15-13 03:04 AM
    The facts are pretty clear - BBRY is being sold wholesale... or going private... or not being sold... or being broken up into bits... or not... or going it alone... or forming a partnership.

It's all very clear.
    09-15-13 04:12 AM
    The facts are pretty clear - BBRY is being sold wholesale... or going private... or not being sold... or being broken up into bits... or not... or going it alone... or forming a partnership.

It's all very clear.
    Pretty much sums up the situation.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    09-15-13 08:05 AM

It's all very clear.
    What makes you say that? I know of no public statements by bbry that support this statement.

Posted via CB10
    anon(4086547) and peter9477 like this.
    09-15-13 09:18 AM
    That's a joke right? Often hard to tell here.
    cjcampbell and BrandonPBaby like this.
    09-15-13 09:22 AM
    so reports are saying BB's hardware division has negative value... anyone able to comment on this?
    09-15-13 09:40 AM
    I just hope Thorsten realizes that if he breaks up Blackberry and makes it completely unrecognizable, he will be hated in Canada more than Malcolm MacDowell is for killing Captain Kirk!
    If BB gets broken up, it will be because the board and shareholders wanted it broken up.
    09-15-13 09:50 AM
    so reports are saying BB's hardware division has negative value... anyone able to comment on this?
    Sometimes I wish I was a reporter.
    The job is soooo freaking easy ! ! !
    abouthsu, sidhuk, bungaboy and 4 others like this.
    09-15-13 09:50 AM
    If BB gets broken up, it will be because the board and shareholders wanted it broken up.
    Not necessarily even a majority of them, only a few of the most influential and wealthy.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    sidhuk likes this.
    09-15-13 09:57 AM
    Not necessarily even a majority of them, only a few of the most influential and wealthy.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    One share one vote.
    09-15-13 09:58 AM
    Yes. For every one bought . . . . two get returned.
    Bugmapper, rarsen, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    09-15-13 09:58 AM
    Sometimes I wish I was a repDistorter.
    The job is soooo freaking easy ! ! !
    FIFY
    09-15-13 09:59 AM
    Yeah... I'm in the same boat as you. Hardware accounted for 71% of the revenue last quarter yet it is deemed worthless with a negative value.
    09-15-13 10:05 AM
    One share one vote.
    Which is supported by his statement.... the most influential and wealthy will hold the vast majority of shares therefore the majority of shareholders don't need to agree, just the shareholders with the majority of shares.
    bungaboy, sidhuk and Bugmapper like this.
    09-15-13 10:07 AM
    Yeah... I'm in the same boat as you. Hardware accounted for 71% of the revenue last quarter yet it is deemed worthless with a negative value.
    Revenue is only half the story. How much profit did it make?

How much profit will the hardware division generate in the future? That really is the key question when determining the value of the division. If the BlackBerry board truly believed that BlackBerry hardware can generate profits for many years, then they wouldn't be pursuing all these strategic alternatives now.
    sentimentGX4 and cgk like this.
    09-15-13 10:20 AM
    Revenue is only a useful figure to project future earnings potential for rapidly growing startup companies. It has always been considered a speculative figure to value stocks by and is attributed to causing stock market crashes such as the Dot Com Bubble.

BBRY is not a startup company. It is a company in decline with no signs of turnaround. It, therefore, makes no sense to value the company by its revenue unless there is reason to believe that the hardware division may be made profitable again.
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    09-15-13 10:21 AM
    Which is supported by his statement.... the most influential and wealthy will hold the vast majority of shares therefore the majority of shareholders don't need to agree, just the shareholders with the majority of shares.
    Which exactly what should happen. Those with a real ownership stake get to decide.
    09-15-13 10:22 AM
    Revenue is only a useful figure to project future earnings potential for rapidly growing startup companies. It has always been considered a speculative figure to value stocks by and is attributed to causing stock market crashes such as the Dot Com Bubble.

BBRY is not a startup company. It is a company in decline with no signs of turnaround. It, therefore, makes no sense to value the company by its revenue unless there is reason to believe that the hardware division may be made profitable again.
    But the year over year increase in both revenue and margin and margin percentage, when it has clearly been due to the sale of the new phones, which I am not stating are selling like crazy, shows an increasing profitability of the devision. Seeing a yoy gain in hardware but a yoy decline in services and software, supports the fact that it is the hardware that has picked up the slack in both revenue and gross margins that took them from a $510 million loss in 2012 to a $84 million loss this year. Now had they been able to collect on the Venezuelan debt, that loss would have only been about $12 million which, for a company working hard to turn around and get back to profitability, is a pretty good sign of growth yoy.

So... with that said, I am having a hard time seeing the hardware devision valued as a negative when it has been the greatest gain to the bottom line.
    09-15-13 10:57 AM
    Kid Vibe!!

At the risk of repeating myself, the value of BB's hardware does range from minus $ 800 million to plus $ 2.5 Billion minimum. You arrive at minus $ 800 million by extrapolating what it cost BlackBerry to fire 5,000 workers, ( BB took a $ 345 million charge) and times it by 2.2 times as many employees that will be let go. Then there is the write downs on all of the product they have collecting dust on the shelves. So there you have the worst case scenario, a closure of the hardware business. On the high end, say you make your phone for an ACU of $ 280/unit and you sell it to the carriers for an AWP (average wholesale price) of $ 450.00/unit and they start marketing it for $ 599 to $ 699 and a 2-year minimum contract of $ 50/month. There is a pile of money for everyone with those figures. The carriers can drop the up front price of the unit to zero and still make a bundle of cash on new/repeat contracts. Everybody is happy here and the value of the hardware business is its gross revenue difference, or, $ 450 - $ 280 = $ 170 x 16 million units. This number gives us a rough figure of $ 2.72 in Gross Profit per Units sold. Now of course there are a number of marketing costs, logistics costs and so on, but, it is fair to say that a company like Lenovo can reduce unit costs, Samsung could blend their marketing with that of BlackBerry handsets and IBM could easily sell handsets to enterprise and not incur losses at these margins. Did Nokia ever carry such a Gross Margin on their phones? No! It is easy to see a value of 1 X GP or $ 2.72 billion for the handset business. Now Economics 101 tells you to produce as many units of a product as you can sell until unit sales $$$ = unit costs $$$ (fixed costs in this case). So the new owner would look to sell even more of these handsets to lower their fixed costs and streamline the business model. So which is likely to happen? BlackBerry would be stupid to close the hardware business, they are likely to partner with Lenovo to have them assume the risk of hardware and continue to sell the phones under the BB label. Lenovo gets $ 400/unit and BB sells them wholesale for $ 400 plus. We continue to get BB's and BB gets out from under heavy commodity costs and workforce expense. Again, Lenovo would want to sell more units under this agreement and BB would become a software play with a hardware component. Remember, manufacturing is a 10% margin business, BlackBerry is offering many times this return and companies like that.

Now, Nokia sold their mobile business plus patents licensing for $ 7.2 billion and all of that was low end margin stuff. BlackBerry has mobile, Enterprise, the best patents and the best OS out there today. Plus they can offer all of this with M2M. So does it make sense to close the hardware business, no. But let's assume you are Pac Crest, you need to report the fact that BlackBerry will pay $ 800 million to close the hardware business. Say you are the Wall Street Enquirer, you need to report that no deals are on the table. All of this is true but unlikely, you don't care, you are walking the fine line between inflating the problems of BlackBerry and barely telling the truth. Welcome to the distorted world of the media.

BlackBerry can continue to make handsets, they just need to match supply and demand and be sure not to exceed allowable costs of marketing for their limited customer base. Ideally they would produce two phones, promote them to Enterprise and get BB 10.2 and BBM-X out so that a grey area of the retail consumer market, guys like me, want to own their product even though it isn't a corporate issued product in my case. Enterprise buys 16 million phones and the rest of us, say 10 million, like the product too. They make a bundle selling phones and buy time to make it more retail friendly. Closing the business and incurring costs is a Faucette thing, he is leaning on the stupid button because that is what he is paid to do. Prem/Heins/BB are looking at this from the going concern side of the business and know that $ 8.0 billion in revenues and a 40% gross margin is valuable to others. You decide which plan makes more sense.
    09-15-13 11:02 AM
113,256 ... 19191920192119221923 ...