View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Pretty sure...know I have read it somewhere. If they don't report break down in the ER they likely won't discus in the call either....I would hope anyway.

Posted via CB10
    Well they may not bring it up in the call but guaranteed someone will ask them what the split was. Either way, good or bad, I'd like to know what the BB10 numbers are.
    sidhuk likes this.
    09-12-13 12:50 PM
    I respectively do not agree. The only reason the BBRY is where it is today is in hopes of a sale. BBRY goes up and down with even the slightest news or rumor of a sale. If the ER is bad and I do not see how it could be any other way, the chances of a sale or what the stockholders would be offered would not be pretty. I know there are many who swear that they will be here to the very end but there is no wisdom in going down with the ship. I know the life boats are not as nice but it beats swimming.
    I have no idea what to expect from a sale price either... However, I still hope for licensing rather than a complete sale. Their hardware can still be valued by other companies, it's just a matter of who will want to take a slight jump in the mobile industry. I really do think sooner than later, BB will turn into a software company. But it is nice to see they are pushing out two new phones... Also, still waiting for some solid DoD/enterprise news.

And here is a good one for promotion from GQ Magazine: Male Model David Gandy's 10 Essentials
    cjcampbell, bungaboy and zyben like this.
    09-12-13 01:11 PM
    Sounds like I should sell before earnings if nothing is released
    09-12-13 01:21 PM
    Well they may not bring it up in the call but guaranteed someone will ask them what the split was. Either way, good or bad, I'd like to know what the BB10 numbers are.
    They are going to have a pretty slim wire to walk this ER. They have to balance the effects of releasing negative info versus no info at all. Not telling the Street the sub # as they said they won't will hurt. This is especially so when we see a per share loss and some cash burn. If the BB10 #'s are decent they almost have to release them to try to salvage something out of the quarter. If they don't give BB10 specifics, the street will take it as a negative and punish BBRY even further. I am not aware (though I am sure there are many) positive things they can report this quarter. Given BBRY and TH's poor (IMHO) performance on calls and ER's in general, this is a critical one to finally get right. It WILL effect offers and public perception.

I say if you have any good news, put it out there and spin it for all it's worth.
    09-12-13 01:21 PM
    Sounds like I should sell before earnings if nothing is released
    Only you can make that decision.
    09-12-13 01:24 PM
    Only you can make that decision.
    Indeed , but what are the chances of them releasing big new on a ER like a sale or partnership
    09-12-13 01:28 PM
    In all seriousness, how bad can the BB10 numbers be? And what number brings profit? Is it 3 million phones?....4 million? Did they resolve the Venezula issue? If the split weights more in favor of BB10 devices, they will not need to sell as much to turn a profit. I suspect just a 10-15% slipt differential from last ER (BB10 vs BBOS) would begin to yeild profits.

The way some are talking, its almost as if, they think BB only sold a million phones in the quarter.... Hell, I bet they sold more then a million BBOS devices! the way some folks tak you would think they sold non!

I'm sh!ting over the next ER and weather I should sell before and buy back in after, but you have to think even with all this bad news, they are close to Break even. Even if the reduced production is true, they are still clipping along at 1 million per month..... Thats 3 million phones!

Dunno, with so little positive out there, its tuff to see the forest from the trees with this Stock.
    09-12-13 01:33 PM
    Indeed , but what are the chances of them releasing big new on a ER like a sale or partnership
    This is traditionally not the kind of news that is released during an ER. If you take the Bearish view, they could wait until after the ER to release anything especially if it is a private deal. Drive the stock down, then buy. Low ball offer is more palatable right after a disastourous ER
    09-12-13 01:35 PM
    I have no idea what to expect from a sale price either... However, I still hope for licensing rather than a complete sale. Their hardware can still be valued by other companies, it's just a matter of who will want to take a slight jump in the mobile industry. I really do think sooner than later, BB will turn into a software company. But it is nice to see they are pushing out two new phones... Also, still waiting for some solid DoD/enterprise news.

And here is a good one for promotion from GQ Magazine: Male Model David Gandy's 10 Essentials
    I agree. Blackberry's future is in their software.

Hopefully, one day, they will be able to concentrate on just it!
    09-12-13 01:36 PM
    Slim to none I would assume. That is not the venue for such an announcement as it is an account of the quarter past. Also, deals of the size that we are talking about take time with a ton of back and forth work between the involved parties.

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 01:36 PM
    LoL,
    this is just too fumy. specially the auto correct quotes.
    21 Reasons BlackBerrys Are Better Than iPhones
    plasmid_boy, Randeman and 3_M4N like this.
    09-12-13 01:51 PM
    This is traditionally not the kind of news that is released during an ER. If you take the Bearish view, they could wait until after the ER to release anything especially if it is a private deal. Drive the stock down, then buy. Low ball offer is more palatable right after a disastourous ER
    Why would the company want to drive down the price of their own shares? BBRY is not allowed to manipulate the news anymore than any other entity. They can not withhold material information and I would submit that in addition to being illegal it would be just, plain, stupid to do so.
    09-12-13 01:51 PM
    They walk amongst us:

Posted via CB10
    09-12-13 02:15 PM
    Why would the company want to drive down the price of their own shares? BBRY is not allowed to manipulate the news anymore than any other entity. They can not withhold material information and I would submit that in addition to being illegal it would be just, plain, stupid to do so.
    True, but if Prem. Watsa was privy to sale numbers from this quarter up until the time they resigned from the board, they can better anticipate the reaction of the market come ER time than we can, so you would think if the numbers are worse, they would wait for ER to come by and the SP to go down prior to making their offer, and this has nothing to do with BBRY, it is all up to Prem. Watsa to decide on the best timing to make their offer. On the opposite side of things, if numbers are better than expected and Prem Watsa knows it, then they would benefit from making an offer now.
    jxnb likes this.
    09-12-13 02:18 PM
    it is not so much what results are getting released, everybody says they will be poor, so how could that already NOT be priced in?
    the question is will it be worse or better than expected.
    selling before the Q results might work or not if everybody does it.
    BlackistheBerry likes this.
    09-12-13 02:20 PM
    They walk amongst us:

It is scary out there. LoL. be careful in traffic.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-12-13 02:24 PM
    True, but if Prem. Watsa was privy to sale numbers from this quarter up until the time they resigned from the board, they can better anticipate the reaction of the market come ER time than we can, so you would think if the numbers are worse, they would wait for ER to come by and the SP to go down prior to making their offer, and this has nothing to do with BBRY, it is all up to Prem. Watsa to decide on the best timing to make their offer. On the opposite side of things, if numbers are better than expected and Prem Watsa knows it, then they would benefit from making an offer now.

Great Thought ! Makes perfect sense , If offer isnt made before earnings Prem knows the numbers will be bad
    09-12-13 02:24 PM
    Don’t Short ‘Boring’ Canadian Assets, Caisse’s Lescure Says

By Frederic Tomesco and Theophilos Argitis

Sept. 12 (Bloomberg) -- Investors betting against Canadian assets are poised to lose out because the country’s growth prospects mean the securities offer protection against potential crises, Caisse de Depot et Placement du Quebec’s chief investment officer said. “In a way, Canada is a bit boring,” Roland Lescure said today at the Bloomberg Canadian fixed-income conference in New York. “Shorting something that’s boring -- good luck. It can cost you a lot of money.”

The Caisse oversees pensions for retirees in the French- speaking province of Quebec, with a dual mandate of maximizing returns and fostering economic growth in the province. It had net assets of C$185.9 billion ($180 billion) of assets as of June 30, ranking it second among Canadian pension managers after the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board. “When you want to short something, you want those things to go up in flames,” Lescure said. “Canada is not going to explode in the air. In the next five to 10 years, it’s probably going to be growing steady as she goes.” Under Lescure and Chief Executive Officer Michael Sabia, the Caisse is increasing investments in assets such as real estate, infrastructure and private equity to reduce volatility in returns. The Caisse plans to add C$10 billion to C$12 billion in what it calls “less liquid” investments in the next two years, Sabia said in January.

Volatile U.S.

Publicly traded equities were the Caisse’s biggest asset class as of the end of 2012, accounting for about 37 percent of assets. Fixed income, with just under 37 percent, ranked second. More than 57 percent of the Caisse’s total assets were held in Canada, compared with 20 percent in the U.S. “The U.S. is more volatile, with a lot of opportunities,” Lescure said. “We like to invest in the U.S. and are doing it more and more. But there’s more risk.”

Even as it invests more abroad, the Caisse will continue to hold a significant portion of assets at home because its liabilities are denominated in Canadian dollars, Lescure said. The Canadian dollar’s recent decline against its U.S. counterpart in the last year means that the currency is “now better aligned with fundamentals,” he said.

Global Leaders

To make up for an expected drop in fixed-income returns, Lescure said the Caisse has been buying shorter-duration bonds, provincial debt and “some corporates, well chosen.” In addition, he said, the fund manager has added “some equities that look a bit like fixed income.” In January, the Caisse began building a fund to buy stakes in companies such as Nestle SA and HJ Heinz Co. that it considers global leaders. Lescure said the fund, which had assets of about C$9.5 billion as of June 30, targets companies that are “very visible, safe, with strong visibility of cash flows.”

Apple Inc., while a “great company,” is probably too volatile for the Caisse, Lescure said. “In a way, we are more Coke than Apple at the Caisse,” Lescure said, referring to Coca-Cola Co., which “sells about 25 billion bottles of Coke every year. In five years, they might be selling 26 or 24. It’s not going to be a roller coaster.” The Caisse would consider investing in BlackBerry Ltd. if the smartphone maker were to go private, Lescure also said, echoing comments made last month by Sabia.

“We are open to any opportunity for sure,” Lescure said when asked about BlackBerry. “We are trying to avoid rumors, but most importantly I think we are doing our homework. We are doing research, we are trying to understand companies whether it’s BlackBerry or another one, and then when we decide to act you guys usually hear about it.”

For Related News and Information:
    Caisse Returns 4.5% as Equities, Inflation-Linked Assets Gain NSN MRMPMI6S973G <GO> Caisse de Depot to Focus on ‘Less Liquid’ Assets, Sabia Says (1) NSN MHEIMG6S9729 <GO> Top Canadian stories: TOPC <GO>

--Editors: Chris Fournier, Paul Badertscher
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    09-12-13 02:25 PM
    Great Thought ! Makes perfect sense , If offer isnt made before earnings Prem knows the numbers will be bad
    Wouldnt this be consider as "Inside Trading" not saying that it isnt happening but curious as to how that works as he did resigned from the board to avoid conflict of interest.
    09-12-13 02:28 PM
    Wouldnt this be consider as "Inside Trading" not saying that it isnt happening but curious as to how that works as he did resigned from the board to avoid conflict of interest.
    Interesting , I think if he sold his shares before ER then bought them back after ER that would be Insider trading but just holding off to make an offer wouldnt be insider trading because well he didnt trade anyshare on information. He can just say he wasnt ready to make his bid end of story
    09-12-13 02:33 PM
    any offer would never close before the Q report, so this is a mute point. shareholders will vote for any offers while having the latest quarterly numbers.
    09-12-13 02:41 PM
    In all seriousness, how bad can the BB10 numbers be? And what number brings profit? Is it 3 million phones?....4 million? Did they resolve the Venezula issue? If the split weights more in favor of BB10 devices, they will not need to sell as much to turn a profit. I suspect just a 10-15% slipt differential from last ER (BB10 vs BBOS) would begin to yeild profits.

The way some are talking, its almost as if, they think BB only sold a million phones in the quarter.... Hell, I bet they sold more then a million BBOS devices! the way some folks tak you would think they sold non!

I'm sh!ting over the next ER and weather I should sell before and buy back in after, but you have to think even with all this bad news, they are close to Break even. Even if the reduced production is true, they are still clipping along at 1 million per month..... Thats 3 million phones!

Dunno, with so little positive out there, its tuff to see the forest from the trees with this Stock.
    I'm going to agree with Gregg here and say we DO need to discuss this now so folks have time to digest all the news and data before the ER. Folks need time to set a plan that matches their risk level and expectation/beliefs. It's not negativity, rather weighing all our options. Much of the conversations going on right now sound sooooo familiar right up to the last ER and then we were crapping our pants. Some good people left the thread after that. Nothing wrong with talking about this so everyone has the news, data, and the support from great people here on this thread that can help us amateurs digest all this.
    09-12-13 02:44 PM
    They walk amongst us:

Posted via CB10
    Just give your head a long and heavy shake!

Now you know what get hear so much FUD from them on this site and in this thread! SMFH!
    09-12-13 02:45 PM
    In the end, ****s going to get interesting...
    09-12-13 02:46 PM
    I'm going to agree with Gregg here and say we DO need to discuss this now so folks have time to digest all the news and data before the ER. Folks need time to set a plan that matches their risk level and expectation/beliefs. It's not negativity, rather weighing all our options. Much of the conversations going on right now sound sooooo familiar right up to the last ER and then we were crapping our pants. Some good people left the thread after that. Nothing wrong with talking about this so everyone has the news, data, and the support from great people here on this thread that can help us amateurs digest all this.
    Yes, we really need some level headed discussion instead of all the cheer-leading and then a reality check.
    I expect sell-through will be extremely low, given the channel filling done before end of last quarter. I am expecting shipment of combined BB10 handsets of 2 millions max, includes Z10, Q10 and Q5. There will likely be a good chunks of loss and share dumping on the day. Eventually though, what matter is the offered buy-out price, which I think will be around 12~14 realistically.
    m1a1mg and anon(4086547) like this.
    09-12-13 02:53 PM
113,256 ... 19091910191119121913 ...