View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Selling is speculative. While I fear another earnings day crash, I don't want to risk the chance for upside or some other announcement.

Posted via CB10
    But what is the likely hood they will announce something big on earnings day. If they plan too release BBM on that day and think that will keep the price from crashing they are badly mistaken. We all know that the shorts are in control and if they want a drop well it will drop. They made it drop 30 percent last earnings in PREMARKET with basically no volume.
    lcjr likes this.
    09-11-13 11:01 AM
    I'm selling by EOD 25th. The reason I'll sell two days out is I feel the media will push the SP down the day before the ER due to expected loss, as stated by TH himself. I'll watch the SP after the ER and when it does as expected I'll buy back in.
    IC. If you're ready to sell and would like to get back on at a later date then maybe selling some deep in the money call options would be a better plan? Maybe M+8 can share his option on this trade?

If the stock goes down then you have gained from the downside movement but if it goes up you're indifferent financially (ex-commissions)
    09-11-13 11:04 AM
    They have been looking at getting strategic partners for over a year, so getting a committee together was just in line with that. Remember though that the perception of that externally (through leaks) might have been that things were on track for a quick sale, which had the market react with a boost in the price. Whenever something is working the SP, you can bet that the guys over at SEC are trying to ensure that no rumor is benefiting only certain stockholders and that everyone has access to the same information and they make have sniffed around at BBRY to see what was up.

If makes sense that the SEC is vigilant about that with each and every cie on the market, and at times, maybe this forces companies to change their strategy in what they want to announce or not.

Just a theory.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-11-13 11:13 AM
    They have been looking at getting strategic partners for over a year, so getting a committee together was just in line with that. Remember though that the perception of that externally (through leaks) might have been that things were on track for a quick sale, which had the market react with a boost in the price. Whenever something is working the SP, you can bet that the guys over at SEC are trying to ensure that no rumor is benefiting only certain stockholders and that everyone has access to the same information and they make have sniffed around at BBRY to see what was up.

If makes sense that the SEC is vigilant about that with each and every cie on the market, and at times, maybe this forces companies to change their strategy in what they want to announce or not.

Just a theory.
    Well at least that's the impression they'd like us to think
    09-11-13 11:24 AM
    IC. If you're ready to sell and would like to get back on at a later date then maybe selling some deep in the money call options would be a better plan? Maybe M+8 can share his option on this trade?

If the stock goes down then you have gained from the downside movement but if it goes up you're indifferent financially (ex-commissions)
    Yeah, I gotcha and won't argue that point. However, seeing investing is a calculated risk (gambling), I'm "betting" on the same type ER we had last time. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not down and out on Blackberry, I just see an opportunity to take advantage of a 98% sure bet the SP will drop before, during, and after this ER. I know there's upside coming, so this is just a strategic move to gain a few extra shares.
    09-11-13 11:27 AM
    And they were THE apps that made computers useful to mass population.
    I still don't need MS windows or any graphical UI for that matter. To me it was all about speed and efficiency. Key strokes are 100 times faster than a stupid mouse, but you can't sell a text based UI to the masses. Unfortunately, the graphical UI went so far as to invade the applications and remove much of the functionality of the keyboard inside the application.

Bahhh.... old guy rant. Things were better in the olden days!
    lcjr, Randeman and StormieTwo like this.
    09-11-13 11:31 AM
    Yeah, I gotcha and won't argue that point. However, seeing investing is a calculated risk (gambling), I'm "betting" on the same type ER we had last time. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not down and out on Blackberry, I just see an opportunity to take advantage of a 98% sure bet the SP will drop before, during, and after this ER. I know there's upside coming, so this is just a strategic move to gain a few extra shares.
    I'm probably going to hold on myself. I have too many shares that I don't feel comfortable in trading really. I expect WS and other articles to release their guestimates and those are hopefully weak enough to let this ER kind of slip through the cracks. I see barely any upside and a small downside. Hopefully, we are over 12 on the SP before then.
    lcjr likes this.
    09-11-13 11:33 AM
    Be careful LC. Your actions sound somewhat like "shorting" of which everything bad for Blackberry is blamed on.

I do not think we will see a drop in this next ER, as bad as the last ER, but it will be significant and lasting. They really need to sell before the next ER but there are no takers. Sounds like most of that 3 billion in cash is committed and more.
    lcjr likes this.
    09-11-13 11:34 AM
    If BB doesn't announce 10.2, XBBM or Z30 release date (at least one) before ER I'll be doing exactly the same thing.
    09-11-13 11:38 AM
    Be careful LC. Your actions sound somewhat like "shorting" of which everything bad for Blackberry is blamed on.

I do not think we will see a drop in this next ER, as bad as the last ER, but it will be significant and lasting. They really need to sell before the next ER but there are no takers. Sounds like most of that 3 billion in cash is committed and more.
    If they sold the company, in its entirety, most shareholders would be duped. Especially when the sale price may well be around 14-20. However, if they sell parts of the company (or license them) and keep their software features the room for growth is much much bigger. I hope this happens soon.

I doubt a sale is in order to be honest, especially outside of Canada (a sale as in, a compete 100% bye bye). Their security is so powerful that I can't see a company gaining a hold of that especially outside of North America.

I don't expect much in terms of numbers during ER as well, they will release as little info as possible. I really am curious to se the Q10 sales figures, I see people here buying them often. Canada I'm sure its doing decent.
    09-11-13 11:38 AM

I definately don't want to be know as somebody attempting to short the stock. I'm just going with my gut feeling this time because I didn't the last several opportunities and lost out. Had I did what I knew i should last time I wouldn't be at a loss right now and I'd have more shares to boot. Now, all this speculation is based on us NOT getting ANY type news before ER. I'm not expecting much news because BB is in their quiet time right now and BBM won't bring that much to the SP right now with all this hype going on.
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    09-11-13 11:47 AM
    If they sold the company, in its entirety, most shareholders would be duped. Especially when the sale price may well be around 14-20. However, if they sell parts of the company (or license them) and keep their software features the room for growth is much much bigger. I hope this happens soon.

I doubt a sale is in order to be honest, especially outside of Canada (a sale as in, a compete 100% bye bye). Their security is so powerful that I can't see a company gaining a hold of that especially outside of North America.

I don't expect much in terms of numbers during ER as well, they will release as little info as possible. I really am curious to se the Q10 sales figures, I see people here buying them often. Canada I'm sure its doing decent.
    You are likely right on the sale, I too, think it will go in parts. I am worried that the stockholders will get much less than the 14-20 figure, especially if the sales is not before the ER. They will have no choice except to release "some" numbers at the the ER and it will be hard to hide the problems.
    09-11-13 11:51 AM
    I definately don't want to be know as somebody attempting to short the stock. I'm just going with my gut feeling this time because I didn't the last several opportunities and lost out. Had I did what I knew i should last time I wouldn't be at a loss right now and I'd have more shares to boot. Now, all this speculation is based on us NOT getting ANY type news before ER. I'm not expecting much news because BB is in their quiet time right now and BBM won't bring that much to the SP right now with all this hype going on.
    You are being smart! I hope BBRY does well in the mean time.
    lcjr likes this.
    09-11-13 11:52 AM
    If BB doesn't announce 10.2, XBBM or Z30 release date (at least one) before ER I'll be doing exactly the same thing.
    Well let's see... 10.2 won't come out within the next two weeks; XBBM may, but it won't have much effect right now; Z30 won't come out until Christmas timeframe or later, so no announcements for at least a month. IMO.
    09-11-13 11:52 AM
    New rumor:

BlackBerry $BBRY board committee working with Parella Weinberg on options for company according to sources.
    fedakd, m0de25 and danprown like this.
    09-11-13 11:57 AM
    I too is thinking about different options to protect myself. I slowly increased my position to a few thousands shares over the course of the periods since June ER and is average around 15. I seriously don't have too much expectations as far as this ER goes and hope nothing bad either.

when TH speak, i get nervous. I certainly don't envy to be in his position as it is a tough job for anyone think making a call is easy, its not.

Certainly like to hear from experienced traders on what options might be available to shield from a slide like June ER? specifics are welcome.

I do have a question regarding writing option calls.

just because an call or put options is written, that does not mean a buyer is guaranteed so re-write can happen over and over again until a buyer is willing to pay. so what are the key indicators to look for when looking to do something like covered call or collar type of strategies?

Thanks
    Last edited by abouthsu; 09-11-13 at 12:16 PM.
    09-11-13 11:57 AM
    Looks like a few people are buying chunks of shares!
    09-11-13 11:58 AM
    You can find a sample of the daily short interest here:

Interactive Charts

Well today is the day we get the updated Short Position. Any guesses as to which direction it went? Up or down. Keep in mind, this is only up to August 30th so does not include the rally of last week.
    abouthsu likes this.
    09-11-13 12:02 PM
    You are likely right on the sale, I too, think it will go in parts. I am worried that the stockholders will get much less than the 14-20 figure, especially if the sales is not before the ER. They will have no choice except to release "some" numbers at the the ER and it will be hard to hide the problems.
    They have said before they aren't announcing subscribers.
    They'll lump all shipments together (no sales, no info on BB10 vs BBOS)
    Money can be moved around. And explanations given about cost to build the brand....

Lots of things can deferred to a later quarter to try and make this ER look better than it might be. But eventually you have to report it and if things don't turn around, you end up with a really, really Bad Quarter.

I really think the PW is looking to buy BBRY based on where he sees the stock going, not where it is now.
    09-11-13 12:02 PM
    Why is the stock down today? I guess people aren't buying BB's excuse for the layoffs? I like the news that they are lobbying to the CDN government, obviously there is interest there.

It ain't EZ being BB
    09-11-13 12:07 PM
    I still don't need MS windows or any graphical UI for that matter. To me it was all about speed and efficiency. Key strokes are 100 times faster than a stupid mouse, but you can't sell a text based UI to the masses. Unfortunately, the graphical UI went so far as to invade the applications and remove much of the functionality of the keyboard inside the application.

Bahhh.... old guy rant. Things were better in the olden days!
    Dude, that's why I use Mac OSX. You get all the UI stuff and when you need to get some work done, you fire up X-terminal.
    Bugmapper likes this.
    09-11-13 12:08 PM
    Dude, that's why I use Mac OSX. You get all the UI stuff and when you need to get some work done, you fire up X-terminal.
    A plague upon your apple product!
    plasmid_boy, Randeman and bungaboy like this.
    09-11-13 12:21 PM
    Spawn alert.....
    sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    09-11-13 12:32 PM
    OT

Holy he!! ....how may duct cleaning companies are there? I swear I get a call daily asking if I want my Ducts cleaned. So much for the do-not-call list

....sorry for my rant .....carry on
    silversun10, sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    09-11-13 12:45 PM
    09-11-13 12:46 PM
113,256 ... 18971898189919001901 ...