Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 06:51 PM
    I think you're right JLagoon. I think this should generate a little rise tomorrow.

Posted via CB10
    I think it already did.... gigidy
    Randeman, lcjr and dusdal like this.
    09-10-13 06:51 PM
    BlackBerry Will Lobby Government Over Foreign-Takeover Rules (2)
    2013-09-10 22:20:07.619 GMT

(Updates with Canadian pension funds in 14th paragraph.)

By Hugo Miller, Andrew Mayeda and Katia Dmitrieva
    Sept. 10 (Bloomberg) -- BlackBerry Ltd. is preparing to lobby the Canadian government over foreign-takeover issues amid
    investor concern that a domestic buyout of the struggling smartphone maker won’t happen.

The company has registered to meet with lawmakers to discuss the Investment Canada Act, which sets rules for foreign
    acquisitions of local companies, according to federal lobbying documents. The government automatically reviews any takeover bid of more than C$344 million ($332 million).

The push comes amid speculation that Toronto’s Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd., BlackBerry’s largest shareholder, faces
    long odds in putting together a homegrown bid for the company. While the investment firm is talking to Canadian pension fund managers to build support for a deal, it hasn’t yet had success, according to a person with knowledge of the discussions. Credit-default swap trading suggests that investors are increasingly doubtful that Fairfax will prevail with the effort.

“Why would Canadian pension plans buy this thing?” said John O’Connell, chief executive officer with investment firm
    Davis Rea Ltd. in Toronto, which doesn’t own a stake in BlackBerry or Fairfax. “There’s no indication that this business has bottomed, and every indication to show they continue to lose market share.”

Board Committee

After years of losing ground to Apple Inc. and Google Inc.’s Android, BlackBerry announced plans last month to form a
    special board committee to explore a sale of the company. Giving more leeway to a foreign buyer could make it easier for an
    acquirer like Lenovo Group Ltd. or Microsoft Corp. to step in and do a deal. BlackBerry executives made the disclosure about discussing the Investment Canada Act with lawmakers and government officials in the past week, according to the lobbying register. Before that, the act hasn’t been listed as a subject matter of interest to the company for years.

Adam Emery, a spokesman for Waterloo, Ontario-based BlackBerry, declined to comment, as did Fairfax President Paul
    Rivett and Microsoft spokesman Peter Wootton. Doug Augustine, a spokesman for Beijing-based Lenovo, didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Careful Look

Lenovo, the world’s largest personal-computer maker, said in January that it was assessing potential acquisition targets,
    including BlackBerry. At the time, Canadian Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said certain local technologies were off-limits to
    foreign buyers. The government would look “carefully” at a bid from Lenovo, he said. BlackBerry operates secure servers for the Canadian and U.S. governments, which would put additional scrutiny on a Chinese deal.

Microsoft also is a potential buyer, even after its Sept. 2 agreement to buy Nokia Oyj’s mobile-phone business, people with
    knowledge of the situation said last week. Pairing BlackBerry with Nokia would let the software company roll up the industry’s
    smaller competitors, potentially creating more of a threat for Apple and Android. Still, sealing a deal for BlackBerry may not be easy -- either at home or abroad. JPMorgan Chase & Co. and RBC Capital Markets, BlackBerry’s bankers, spent close to a year quietly canvassing potential acquirers without success, people with knowledge of the matter said last month.

Pension Talks

When BlackBerry formed the board committee to explore a possible sale, Fairfax CEO Prem Watsa stepped down as a
    director. That allowed the Toronto businessman to begin discussing a local bid for the smartphone maker without potential conflicts of interest. Fairfax held a 9.9 percent stake in BlackBerry as of June 30.

A senior executive from Fairfax has been contacting Canada’s largest pension fund managers to discuss collaborating
    on a bid for BlackBerry, said the person familiar with the matter, who asked not to be identified because the talks are
    private. No specific proposal, sales or valuation figures have been put forward, the person said.

The three largest pension fund managers in the country are Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, Caisse de Depot et
    Placement du Quebec and Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, which together manage more than C$500 billion in assets.

Representatives from the three funds declined to comment. The Globe and Mail reported earlier that Fairfax’s buyout plan
    had received a “cool” response from pension plans.

BlackBerry 10

The board began discussing a possible sale after its revamped BlackBerry 10 operating system struggled to gain
    traction. The company sold almost 1 million fewer smartphones in the May quarter than analysts had projected, contributing to a loss in the period. BlackBerry, which reports its next round of results on Sept. 27, has said it expects to post another loss in
    the latest quarter.

The company also has cut its sales force and moved some staff to the U.S. in a bid to bolster its new devices. BlackBerry has eliminated 60 jobs as part of the move, Emery said this week. The redeployment of salespeople is intended to
    help get employees closer to key customers in the U.S., he said. BlackBerry shares had rallied late last year on optimism
    that the new operating system would revive the company’s fortunes. Since BlackBerry’s last earnings report in June, the
    stock has tumbled 24 percent. It fell 5.1 percent to $10.94 at the close today in New York.
    Kid Vibe and fedakd like this.
    09-10-13 07:02 PM
    I agree, hardware manufacturing is going to Lenovo, time to make it right with the Canadian Gov..
    If they sale the hardware to Lenovo, it excludes MS from the deal IMHO.
    I know my obstination might be painful but I still believe the real players have kept their mouth shut or stated once vaguely. MSFT Did. Lenovo didn't. I smell a shadow trick... once again... my very own take.

Datz From my Z10 amigo.
    09-10-13 07:08 PM
    Again, these articles jump to conclusions as if they know the details behind it. It could, as discussed, be simply the hardware division. There is soooo much going on, yet these journalists (bloggers) write as if they're touting fact.
    Kid Vibe, lcjr, bungaboy and 5 others like this.
    09-10-13 07:08 PM
    He got promoted to spectator a while ago.
    Perm-A-Ban?
    sidhuk likes this.
    09-10-13 07:17 PM
    Perm-A-Ban?
    Don't know the details but haven't seen or heard from him for a while. Maybe he got lobotomized and has just become super docile in some far away corner somewhere.
    09-10-13 07:25 PM
    Thanks Morgon. To me the dust is settling, at least for me and see blackberry being a software giant. I really do feel qnx has what it takes to take the next leap. I'm excited to see what the future have in store for BBRY.
    I'll say I called this one too last year and throughout this year. I stated often that the future of BlackBerry is them being the software king every corporation wants to have. I stated that they need to be a software only corporation. Look up my posts about it. Hahahaha, Damn I'm good! Hahaha.
    abouthsu, Kid Vibe and sidhuk like this.
    09-10-13 07:47 PM
    I'll say I called this one too last year and throughout this year. I stated often that the future of BlackBerry is them being the software king every corporation wants to have. Look up my posts about it. Hahahaha, Damn I'm good! Hahaha.
    Lol..
    You win a mug of frosty goodness:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-images-22-.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Randeman, sidhuk, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    09-10-13 07:50 PM
    Now, regarding the Playbook update... I find the lag time is shortened when opening new tabs within the browser and the access to favorites is also quicker. My virtual keyboard is more responsive and the spell-check is quicker. The navigation between folders and the switching between documents is smoother. I'm sure there's more, but this is what I've noticed so far tonight. Still have to check the stripper network later, but so far I continue to love my Playbook!
    09-10-13 07:56 PM
    Lol..
    You win a mug of frosty goodness:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images (22).jpg 
Views:	585 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	200457

Posted via CB10
    Bring'em on buddy, I'm in a fantastic mood tonight and feel like having fun. Let's see what else I can predict. Thank goodness I didn't pack up my magic 8 Ball!!
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    09-10-13 07:59 PM
    Bring'em on buddy, I'm in a fantastic mood tonight and feel like having fun. Let's see what else I can predict. Thank goodness I didn't pack up my magic 8 Ball!!
    I'm getting there too... for some reason I got myself a case. Didn't really need it but it was a hot and humid day here so felt like some.... well we all know that this is just how it starts. lol
    lcjr, Randeman, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    09-10-13 08:01 PM
    I'm getting there too... for some reason I got myself a case. Didn't really need it but it was a hot and humid day here so felt like some.... well we all know that this is just how it starts. lol
    I'm with you buddy! Dang, I sure wish I could get up there where you are for a visit. Maybe after my move and stuff is finished we could get together for a few cold ones. I'd bring the dollar bills. Hahaha.
    09-10-13 08:07 PM
    I'll say I called this one too last year and throughout this year. I stated often that the future of BlackBerry is them being the software king every corporation wants to have. I stated that they need to be a software only corporation. Look up my posts about it. Hahahaha, Damn I'm good! Hahaha.
    Hahaha in that case, we better follow you into the siri adventure.
    lcjr likes this.
    09-10-13 08:15 PM
    Looks Like they are making it as complicated as BB10?
    Actually, this is good. It primes angry Apple users to prepare for migrating to a true gesture-based experience with the bbZxx.
    morganplus8, sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    09-10-13 08:19 PM
    I am encouraged by today's apple news.

While not directly beneficial for bbry, it's like an anti-halo and iOS users were already the easiest to move to BlackBerry 10.

I really think Tim Cook doesn't get it.

Posted via CB10
    Correct, Tim's too busy playing with his Z10.
    dusdal and bungaboy like this.
    09-10-13 08:22 PM
    Hahaha in that case, we better follow you into the siri adventure.
    Haha.. not this guy.
    09-10-13 08:25 PM
    I'm with you buddy! Dang, I sure wish I could get up there where you are for a visit. Maybe after my move and stuff is finished we could get together for a few cold ones. I'd bring the dollar bills. Hahaha.
    We don't have dollar bills... lol. You gotta toss loonies at them...
    lcjr, Kid Vibe, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    09-10-13 08:26 PM
    Actually, you have to place your loonies and twoonies somewhere where they won't get lost. So I've heard.

Posted via CB10
    lcjr, sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    09-10-13 08:29 PM
    Actually, you have to place your loonies and twoonies somewhere where they won't get lost. So I've heard.

Posted via CB10
    In Ontario, you get up on stage, stick a 5 in your mouth, lay on your back and enjoy the special treatment. When they're done with you they usually grab it with their boobs unless your lucky (or unlucky, depending on the girl )
    lcjr, sidhuk, neteng1000 and 3 others like this.
    09-10-13 08:32 PM

...Be honest: if BlackBerry had this feature, people here would be hailing it as example of BlackBerry's efficiency and security. Because it's done by another phone manufacturer, it is just a gimmick.
    Honesty?:

OK, if BlackBerry used this silly gimmick that I had on my thumb drive 5 years ago (and hated it), it would go buy an Android, because it has the best login solution of any: make a zig/zag/circle/four dots, etc. Now that is what I would prefer on my Z. Perhaps 10.3, unless Android has a patent....
    morganplus8 likes this.
    09-10-13 08:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like an adventure! Funniest time I remember is when some friends grabbed me up and took me to a really cool place for lunch. They were like dancing right over you as you tried to eat your lunch. I kept asking how in the world you could eat with that stuff right over your plate! Oh those were the days.
    09-10-13 08:37 PM
    In Ontario, you get up on stage, stick a 5 in your mouth, lay on your back and enjoy the special treatment. When they're done with you they usually grab it with their boobs unless your lucky (or unlucky, depending on the girl )
    Ontario must have changed since I left.
    09-10-13 08:40 PM
    ...That's $ 13.00 cash added to a much higher stock price, when the dust clears, we're at $ 35.00/shr. That's how its expected to work!
    Man! I hope you are right Morgan. You certainly know your stocks, and the business associated thus.

I just hope that Prem is not sand-bagging, in order to drag us to the next ER, knowing that the SP will once again go down like a lead balloon; just to gain an edge on a bid. With CPP being a possible partner, they will want to buy in at ball-buster pricing.

Sooo many possibilities here! Am I the only one who has aged at 3x speed here since last ER!?

PS - Add me to the list of thank-you's.
    09-10-13 08:46 PM
    Landes lane and the Canadian ballet. Good times.

Posted via CB10
    lcjr, cjcampbell, Randeman and 1 others like this.
    09-10-13 08:47 PM
113,256 ... 18921893189418951896 ...