View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    BlackBerry Ltd. (BBRY) has registered to meet with lawmakers to discuss the Investment Canada Act, which sets rules for foreign acquisitions of local companies, according to federal lobbying documents.

BlackBerry executives made the disclosure in the past week, according to the lobbying register. Before that, the act hasn�t been listed as a subject matter of interest to the company for years. The government automatically reviews any takeover bid of more than C$344 million ($332 million).

BlackBerry to Lobby Government Over Foreign-Takeover Rule - Bloomberg
    If this is the case, so much for Prem taking it private

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 03:50 PM
    You're right, but come on, it's a cool gimmick! haha. No really, I think the fingerprint scanner and/retina scanner could bring more to security than just log-on. What about encrypting documents you need to take mobile?/ I think a retina and/or fingerprint scanner would work with the password or encryption key for a safer environment. Just thinking out loud here....
    Oh yea its definitely one of the coolest features out there on any mobile phone. Even more so from Apple because they've been pretty dismal on the innovation front as of late. I totally agree that there is huge expansion for the capabilities of this feature but really I have a hard time believing that teenagers who are going to get this phone need to have finger print recognition. Its a high priced feature that really on 5%* of their consumer base could put to good use.

* - Arbitrary number with no real grounds for why I picked it.
    lcjr likes this.
    09-10-13 03:52 PM
    I am also wondering who that person could be, it seems that he always buy after hours. interesting for sure!
    Someone just bought a 55K block after hours. whoever that is, come clean..

Attachment 200393
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-10-13 03:54 PM
    Its a high priced feature that really on 5%* of their consumer base could put to good use.
    Until they tie it into some type of payment option and then you tighten the market around iOS devices. Get an iPhone and see how easy it is to buy x,y or z...
    09-10-13 03:56 PM
    . ars. The government automatically reviews any takeover bid of more than C$344 million ($332 million).

Pretty sure that's only for more than 20 billion.

Not really, but a guy can hope can't he?

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 03:57 PM
    Holy cow a block of 159,491 share bought not long ago
    I am also wondering who that person could be, it seems that he always buy after hours. interesting for sure!
    lcjr, Randeman and bungaboy like this.
    09-10-13 03:58 PM
    Until they tie it into some type of payment option and then you tighten the market around iOS devices. Get an iPhone and see how easy it is to buy x,y or z...
    Oh yeah, there's another two uses.. payment verification and digital signature.
    09-10-13 04:03 PM
    If this is the case, so much for Prem taking it private

Posted via CB10
    This could be few different scenarios... the willingness to look at a bid and getting the red tape taken care of ahead of time, the selling of the hardware to, oh I don't know... say... Lenovo, or an outright sale. Don't take it for more than it is until the real news gets out. Take yesterdays "gutting of the salesforce" headline as a lesson learned. A move was made but not as it was made out to be.
    zyben, Randeman, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    09-10-13 04:04 PM
    WHAT I LEARNED FROM THE MEDIA TODAY:

If Apple releases a cheapy phone for $99 on contract its cut rate and good to tackle emerging markets and battle android. If BB releases a cheapy phone for $99 on contract, its still to premium and not good for emerging markets (where they actually have market share), cheap android will eat its lunch. 5S for $199 on contract is good, Q10 for $199 on contract bad....Z10 for $149 apprently even worse.

I give up **throws hands in the air, walks away**
    Just like BB did whatever it wanted few years ago, Apple is dominating and can plau with it's own terms..It's all about time, yesterday was BB, today is apple and tomorrow will be God knows..
    09-10-13 04:05 PM
    Are you talking about online payments or physical payments? Online payments I wouldn't see it being much different than how it is now. Maybe a finger print protected app that stores your credit card numbers but beyond that I feel like it would make things more complicated.

Now if they had the capabilities to make a finger print activated nfc payment system. THAT is something I could get behind and make me believe in the technology.

Not that I don't believe in the technology as it is now - I just think that as of right now its a gimmick with very little support and going back to my original statement it will be underutilized by the majority of their consumers.
    09-10-13 04:06 PM
    Are you talking about online payments or physical payments? Online payments I wouldn't see it being much different than how it is now. Maybe a finger print protected app that stores your credit card numbers but beyond that I feel like it would make things more complicated.

Now if they had the capabilities to make a finger print activated nfc payment system. THAT is something I could get behind and make me believe in the technology.

Not that I don't believe in the technology as it is now - I just think that as of right now its a gimmick with very little support and going back to my original statement it will be underutilized by the majority of their consumers.
    Although if it is fast, accurate, and consistent, it is quite a bit more convenient than typing in a password each time to unlock your phone.
    sidhuk likes this.
    09-10-13 04:11 PM
    BlackBerry Ltd. (BBRY) has registered to meet with lawmakers to discuss the Investment Canada Act, which sets rules for foreign acquisitions of local companies, according to federal lobbying documents.

BlackBerry executives made the disclosure in the past week, according to the lobbying register. Before that, the act hasn�t been listed as a subject matter of interest to the company for years. The government automatically reviews any takeover bid of more than C$344 million ($332 million).

That means foreign bidder is involved and they are serious to sell it to let's say Lenovo or MS
    09-10-13 04:11 PM
    while I get that the fingerprint technology is cool. I don't see why any average phone user would need it. I know for me personally my phone is kept on me at all times and never gets into hands that I don't trust and if it were to go missing I can wipe it from my computer in a matter of minutes. Not to mention that I have it password protected.

For me the finger print thing seems like a fancy technology that is really just a gimmick at this point.
    This is a great feature to have unless you actually enjoy typing in your password every time to unlock your phone. You claim to like the efficiency of peek and flow? Well it is not really flowing when you have to stop and type in your password.

Be honest: if BlackBerry had this feature, people here would be hailing it as example of BlackBerry's efficiency and security. Because it's done by another phone manufacturer, it is just a gimmick.
    09-10-13 04:13 PM
    It's a conspiracy for apple to sell everyone's fingerprints to the NSA

Posted via CB10
    Can you think of a better way to track criminals?
    LOL
    09-10-13 04:15 PM
    That means foreign bidder is involved and they are serious to sell it to let's say Lenovo or MS
    I agree, hardware manufacturing is going to Lenovo, time to make it right with the Canadian Gov..
    09-10-13 04:16 PM
    Although if it is fast, accurate, and consistent, it is quite a bit more convenient than typing in a password each time to unlock your phone.
    Apple and Android should have an app for better biometrics. They should have one that allows the user to submit a urinalysis onto the device, thereby identifying the user and allowing access to data.
    09-10-13 04:21 PM

makes sense they find out what they can and cannot do, before spinning their wheels.
    bungaboy and BergerKing like this.
    09-10-13 04:23 PM
    Hey there's a new update for the PlayBook. Had to dust mine off and flash it up. Now it's downloading 400 MB of BB10 ( well, 2.1.0.1753 anyway)

Posted via CB10
    09-10-13 04:23 PM
    I agree, hardware manufacturing is going to Lenovo, time to make it right with the Canadian Gov..
    Yep, I think they've had or anticipate offers from known corporations and want to make sure all legal matters are taken care of in advance. Faster this way than to wait later.
    09-10-13 04:24 PM
    Hey there's a new update for the PlayBook. Had to dust mine off and flash it up. Now it's downloading 300 MB of BB10 ( well, 2.1.0.1753 anyway)

Posted via CB10
    Awesome!! I use mine everyday still, especially in the evenings with a cold beer chatting with you guys! lol. Is it the actual update or still a beta download??
    Randeman, bungaboy and BergerKing like this.
    09-10-13 04:26 PM
    I like the way your thinking outside of the box. what I dont get is, Govt has a say in the takeover bid, yet its a free enterprise technically speak. so if the company is in debt issue or struggling that need funding etc. If Govt doesnt provide funding to bail them out, they gonna stop the bid and let the company die? sorry just the naive part of me thinking, im sure its more complicated than that.!
    09-10-13 04:26 PM
    So are we speculating lenovo buys hardware, prem takes the software private since he stated that he believes its the service side that will net a future $40 price correct? what does this mean for us shareholders now though

morganplus8 likes this.
    09-10-13 04:27 PM
    Awesome!! I use mine everyday still, especially in the evenings with a cold beer chatting with you guys! lol. Is it the actual update or still a beta download??
    It's the real thing. Wasn't sure there would be any more updates. http://www.berryreview.com/2013/09/1...ally-released/

Posted via CB10
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    09-10-13 04:30 PM
    The government will only have issue with the overall takeover of the company specifically service side where security will be a concern. However I don't see them interfering if just the hardware was sold off, remember 2 weeks ago the government said they had no intentions of interfering and wishes blackberry well.

I like the way your thinking outside of the box. what I dont get is, Govt has a say in the takeover bid, yet its a free enterprise technically speak. so if the company is in debt issue or struggling that need funding etc. If Govt doesnt provide funding to bail them out, they gonna stop the bid and let the company die? sorry just the naive part of me thinking, im sure its more complicated than that.!
    09-10-13 04:31 PM
    So are we speculating lenovo buys hardware, prem takes the software private since he stated that he believes its the service side that will net a future $40 price correct? what does this mean for us shareholders now though
    We get $ 3.5 billion from Lenovo for the hardware and patent licensing deal, that's $ 7 to go with our $ 6 a share, and we command a P/E of 15 times next years earnings of $ 1.50/shr and don't have to spend cash getting there. That's $ 13.00 cash added to a much higher stock price, when the dust clears, we're at $ 35.00/shr. That's how its expected to work!
    sidhuk, nquyen, lcjr and 16 others like this.
    09-10-13 04:33 PM
113,256 ... 18901891189218931894 ...