View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    shouldn't Onex be interested to take BB private and do their thing and set it free again later when BB is out of troubled waters?
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    09-09-13 07:50 PM
    Pension funds cool to BlackBerry buyout overtures - The Globe and Mail

It has been a tough sell so far. Sources say none of the big funds have jumped on board with the idea, amid growing skepticism about the company’s ability to turn around falling sales. Fairfax is also talking to potential buyers for its 9.9-per-cent stake.
    "According to people familiar with the process, a number of U.S. tech giants have been invited to consider a bid, but their intentions are unknown."
    That means No Samsung, No Lenovo
    09-09-13 07:54 PM
    This is getting out hand in the media. Eventually we'll know who was right or not.

PS. I work for a Bay Street firm...maybe they can use me as a source?

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 07:55 PM
    Surprised that not much has been mentioned here today regarding Apple's announcement tomorrow.
    I was expecting JLagoon to touch on in too in his analysis....

What do you guys think it will do to the SP tomorrow?
    Will it be pushed down?
    Or is everything possible (no buyers, layoffs, no sales, bad ER coming up, downgrades, $5 price targets, Windows winning, etc.) already factored into the current price?
    Or is it that the price is what it is just coz of the rumour, and is immune to any/all external factors?
    09-09-13 07:58 PM
    9/9/2013; 36 million in volume; closed at $11.53.

[I]Hi Morgan; do you think, it is more likely for BBRY to reach its verdict on corporate development, before September ER, than waiting for November?
    Could Blackberry try to push it, before ER to protect the SP from any sell off, considering that it knows the ER is going to be bad still?
    Hi JLagoon!!

Thanks for your great charts, love them.

As for a deal, the only thing that can happen over the next few weeks is a "first" offer from Prem and Company, he is the only one that knows the business in detail and can make a meaningful offer at this time. The board would have to review his offer and than court other potential buyers for a couple of months before voting on the deal. We are more likely to be driven by rumours and BB 10.2, BBM-X and the Z30 in the weeks ahead. A nice surprise though would be if Venezuela paid their debt along with more than 2.7 million BB 10 handsets sold in the quarter. The balance of the Q2 report will center around what Heins says regarding partnerships, offers to buy the company and changes to the business model.
    rarsen, fedakd, abouthsu and 7 others like this.
    09-09-13 07:59 PM
    Apple buying bbry! That would be awesome.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 08:00 PM
    Surprised that not much has been mentioned here today regarding Apple's announcement tomorrow.

What do you guys think it will do to the SP tomorrow?
    Will it be pushed down?
    Or is everything possible (no buyers, layoffs, no sales, bad ER coming up, downgrades, $5 price targets, Windows winning, etc.) already factored into the current price?
    Or is it that the price is what it is just coz of the rumour, and is immune to any/all external factors?
    much of the time, what we know is in the price already, also stuff we don't know and that is where the charts come in, to see if there are any hidden clues
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-09-13 08:03 PM
    Ok.. this is where it just gets dumb. How can he be looking for buyers for his stake? Can't he just sell on the market should he want to sell it? Like holy **** man.
    Unfortunately they are correct. It is a common way big holders do this. Ackman just sold his big loser, JC Penney to Citigroup in a very similar deal. You can negotiate price and not have to drive down the price by flooding the market.

Bill Ackman takes huge loss on J.C. Penney - Aug. 26, 2013

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
    Activist investor Bill Ackman is cutting his losses in J.C. Penney. The hedge fund manager sold his entire stake in the troubled retailer.

Ackman's Pershing Square Capital Management began buying J.C. Penney in October 2010 when shares were around $25 a piece. The hedge fund said it sold all 39 million of its shares to Citigroup (C, Fortune 500), which is now offering the shares at $12.90 each. That puts Ackman's loss at nearly $500 million.
    rarsen and anon(4086547) like this.
    09-09-13 08:07 PM
    Apple buying bbry! That would be awesome.

Posted via CB10
    Who being the buyer is just a side show, the only concern is at what price.
    09-09-13 08:07 PM
    "According to people familiar with the process, a number of U.S. tech giants have been invited to consider a bid, but their intentions are unknown."
    That means No Samsung, No Lenovo
    According to someone anyway...
    09-09-13 08:11 PM
    Not that 1/2 will read this, but it's important. If BBRY isn't going to try and sell anymore, what are they doing?

According to a source close to the matter, BlackBerry today laid off more than half its salesforce.
    The source, based in Waterloo, says consumer sales is basically “gone” and “enterprise is gutted”.
    ” I had twenty guys (from BlackBerry) on BBM from sales, and they have all posted alternate emails on their status,” says the source.
    The source says the cuts began today in Waterloo and are rumoured to hit the U.K. within a few days…

Source: BlackBerry just "gutted" its salesforce
    09-09-13 08:18 PM
    Has Misek been MIA lately. Isn't he usually good for pre-ER speculation? I think analysts are stumped by this quarter for BBRY, not knowing what to expect .

I have got to thank M+8 for HALO. Even with the rise in BBRY today and I am personally much happier and feel better in HALO than I would if I was still in BBRY. I wouldn't have sold today and now I'd be fretting tonight that all the PW rumors were overstated and that the pension funds really aren't on board and a potentially bad ER on the horizon. Who knows???? I guess we will all know soon enough.

Continued GLTA, no reason BBRY AND HALO both can't pull a triple over the next 3 months!
    09-09-13 08:22 PM
    Not that 1/2 will read this, but it's important. If BBRY isn't going to try and sell anymore, what are they doing?

According to a source close to the matter, BlackBerry today laid off more than half its salesforce.
    The source, based in Waterloo, says consumer sales is basically �gone� and �enterprise is gutted�.
    � I had twenty guys (from BlackBerry) on BBM from sales, and they have all posted alternate emails on their status,� says the source.
    The source says the cuts began today in Waterloo and are rumoured to hit the U.K. within a few days�

Source: BlackBerry just "gutted" its salesforce
    If....IF it's true I think it is a "tell" into their next steps concerning sale/bidders/partners/ whatever.
    Here is a well written article explaining how valuations/debt commitments work and how they could affect potential bidders:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1683...ticle_readmore

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell likes this.
    09-09-13 08:24 PM
    Unfortunately they are correct. It is a common way big holders do this. Ackman just sold his big loser, JC Penney to Citigroup in a very similar deal. You can negotiate price and not have to drive down the price by flooding the market.

Bill Ackman takes huge loss on J.C. Penney - Aug. 26, 2013

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
    Activist investor Bill Ackman is cutting his losses in J.C. Penney. The hedge fund manager sold his entire stake in the troubled retailer.

Ackman's Pershing Square Capital Management began buying J.C. Penney in October 2010 when shares were around $25 a piece. The hedge fund said it sold all 39 million of its shares to Citigroup (C, Fortune 500), which is now offering the shares at $12.90 each. That puts Ackman's loss at nearly $500 million.
    Fair enough... thanks
    Reed Richards likes this.
    09-09-13 08:25 PM
    If....IF it's true I think it is a "tell" into their next steps concerning sale/bidders/partners/ whatever.
    Here is a well written article explaining how valuations/debt commitments work and how they could affect potential bidders:

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): BlackBerry: How $5.3 Billion In Contractual Obligations Affects Acquisition Price, Chances Of Write-Offs - Seeking Alpha

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. That is a very interesting piece.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    09-09-13 08:28 PM

I have got to thank M+8 for HALO. Even with the rise in BBRY today and I am personally much happier and feel better in HALO than I would if I was still in BBRY. I wouldn't have sold today and now I'd be fretting tonight that all the PW rumors were overstated and that the pension funds really aren't on board and a potentially bad ER on the horizon. Who knows???? I guess we will all know soon enough.

Continued GLTA, no reason BBRY AND HALO both can't pull a triple over the next 3 months!
    Ditto, while we wait for more development from BBRY, I'm more distracted with HALO and AMD thanks to great tip from LJ and M8 heh
    morganplus8 and m0de25 like this.
    09-09-13 08:55 PM
    Thanks guys, I do really appreciate the thoughts and giving me a bit of the reality check. I dont know why i havent done it already being married just recently and a little one 16 months in. To schedule a check up in Canada takes forever, so I will do that when I visit asia come january.

I sort of figure out a plan to counter the experiences, *think about the the feeling of shorts getting burn* and I will probably feel a lot better while getting checked

Thanks again!!
    Speaking as a cancer survivor, it is better to deal with it sooner, because there might not be a later. I had a lymphatic cancer that manifested in the large intestine at the ileum. Went from golf ball size to softball in just a week, and docs weren't quite sure how I lived, because by their estimates, I wasn't supposed to be alive, much less walking around when they got to me. Superfast and extremely rare cancer, too. I'm still going, 14 years later.
    09-09-13 11:06 PM
    Hi BlackistheBerry:

I don't have any opinion on how much effect the Apple iPhone event will affect BBRY. I think, people are rather nervous about how it will effect AAPL as well.

Here is an article with a chart that shows the Apple SP with every iPhone announcement: CHART OF THE DAY: What Happens To Apple's Stock After It Announces A New iPhone - Business Insider

Who knows? Maybe Apple will announce that it will buy a stake in Blackberry to have more dealing in the enterprise sector. Or it would be nice for Apple to announce BBM launch for iOS as well.
    09-09-13 11:06 PM
    Speaking as a cancer survivor, it is better to deal with it sooner, because there might not be a later. I had a lymphatic cancer that manifested in the large intestine at the ileum. Went from golf ball size to softball in just a week, and docs weren't quite sure how I lived, because by their estimates, I wasn't supposed to be alive, much less walking around when they got to me. Superfast and extremely rare cancer, too. I'm still going, 14 years later.
    Wow, great to hear you beat something that difficult. Puts my current troubles into perspective.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    09-09-13 11:24 PM
    Blackberry Lays Off Dozens of US Sales Staff - Digits - WSJ

�I can confirm a small number of employees were laid off today,� a company spokesman said, without providing additional details.
    sidhuk likes this.
    09-09-13 11:35 PM
    I'm glad to hear that you are doing well, and thanks for the reminder as it is good to deal with it early. Not really young anymore but I'm hitting 40 in a few year and I think its time for me to be more conscious about my health as I'm no only myself instead a person with a family. Truly glad to be here to have met you guys, to learn not just about BBRY and investment but also about life.
    09-09-13 11:56 PM
    I'm glad to hear that you are doing well, and thanks for the reminder as it is good to deal with it early. Not really young anymore but I'm hitting 40 in a few year and I think its time for me to be more conscious about my health as I'm no only myself instead a person with a family. Truly glad to be here to have met you guys, to learn not just about BBRY and investment but also about life.
    I was 33 when this hit me. I just turned 48. I went from being healthy to one foot in the grave in less than six weeks.
    bungaboy, Randeman, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    09-10-13 12:02 AM
    In one headline Prem has billions of dollars in backing from pension funds. In another, the pensions are not interested...but they won't comment on it...how strange!

If the hardware business was indeed spun-off to Lenovo or some other firm, it could lead to a massive squeeze. On a future morning (much like the last time BlackBerry was halted in pre-market), imagine a statement made prior to market open from Lenovo stating their bid for BlackBerry's hardware business as well as patents for $2.5B and $3B respectively. This would indeed be the catalyst we have all been waiting for.
    09-10-13 12:12 AM
    Hi BlackistheBerry:

I don't have any opinion on how much effect the Apple iPhone event will affect BBRY. I think, people are rather nervous about how it will effect AAPL as well.

Here is an article with a chart that shows the Apple SP with every iPhone announcement: CHART OF THE DAY: What Happens To Apple's Stock After It Announces A New iPhone - Business Insider

Who knows? Maybe Apple will announce that it will buy a stake in Blackberry to have more dealing in the enterprise sector. Or it would be nice for Apple to announce BBM launch for iOS as well.
    IMO, 5S and 5C and base on the high-end 5S spec comparing it to the current Iphone 5, i really doubt its going to create any much hype, basically same crap and same size but tiny difference on the hardware. Media could spin it either way and manipulated in both directions.
    09-10-13 12:57 AM
    QUOTE=abouthsu;9145493]IMO, 5S and 5C and base on the high-end 5S spec comparing it to the current Iphone 5, i really doubt its going to create any much hype, basically same crap and same size but tiny difference on the hardware. Media could spin it either way and manipulated in both directions.[/QUOTE]

That's usually what Apple tends to do with their S models put one or two new features on it and maybe a new OS and then hipe it for all its worth. As for the C model that will be interesting to see how it is received. It might help apple gain marketshare by allowing more people to purchase an iphone or if it is build poorly or too low quality it could end up hurting their reputation.

P.S. I would also like to see how the new gold colored iphone is received.

Posted via CB10
    morganplus8 likes this.
    09-10-13 01:16 AM
113,256 ... 18801881188218831884 ...