1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Not to dampen the mood around here, but saw this article:

Source: BlackBerry just "gutted" its salesforce

What are your thoughts?
    Interesting, "sources" stuff is just fodder to flog papers till its confirmed though. This shows they are hiring:
    http://ca.blackberry.com/company/car...reerStatus=3,5

Time will tell

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 05:11 PM
    Yeah, it's amazing what they'll print just to get the hits on their website.
    09-09-13 05:23 PM
    Well gang, it's off to BEER-THIRTY!! What a great day!
    09-09-13 05:24 PM
    Source close to Blackberry, eh?

Next.
    Might as well disregard any Prem watsa buy out talk too

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 05:28 PM
    9/9/2013; 36 million in volume; closed at $11.53.

Bullish interpretation:
    - The SP broke $11.18, and $11.50 resistance with volume.
    - MA100 at $12.18 on the daily chart. It is not so far away to reach it. I think, it is possible to have one more bullish candle or at least a reversal candle with a new high tomorrow that might hit this.
    - Higher retracement range $10.95 - $11.18.
    - Weekly chart shows a lot of room to go up.

Bearish interpretation:
    - The hourly and 30 minute chart shows that the SP has reached its peak in this cycle. BBRY tends to drop from its peak quickly, after a rally. Anticipate retracement to $10.95 - $11.18.
    - Cormark downgraded BBRY to buy; stays with $13.50 target. BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) Downgraded To Buy: Cormark

--
    I think, some shorts were caught off guard, and started to cover today. If the SP starts to get into $12 area before ER, I expect more shorts to cover. Also conservatively speaking, if the SP stays above $10 for the next 30 days, then MA50 could start to curve upward to form a golden cross with MA200. The tricky bit, as all of you are aware, that could cause volatile move is the corporate development news, and September ER. So far, the SP continues to show to be a better long term play for bulls. I, personally, would start considering to average down on the dips.

[I]Hi Morgan; do you think, it is more likely for BBRY to reach its verdict on corporate development, before September ER, than waiting for November?
    Could Blackberry try to push it, before ER to protect the SP from any sell off, considering that it knows the ER is going to be bad still?

Hourly:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-09-09-5.20.27-pm.jpg

Daily:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-09-09-5.34.22-pm.jpg
    09-09-13 05:30 PM
    Got to go do it though buddy. Bungaboy can fill you in on all the particulars since he just did it.
    Ya feel free to PM me if you want the "straight dirt" on it. LoL
    sidhuk, cjcampbell and Randeman like this.
    09-09-13 05:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    Point taken, but the Prem/Pension Plan rumour is all over mainstream media at this point and looks just about validated.
    morganplus8, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    09-09-13 05:31 PM
    Love it!!!
    Off Topic, but kinda, sorta related . . . .

I watched a great show on TV the other night on the building of the Morgan Aero 8.

Hand made using wood and aluminum for frame and body. 4.8L 367 bhp!
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-09-13 05:33 PM
    Well....we went down....but not without a fight!

NSA can access BlackBerry, Android, iPhone data, report says - Technology & Science - CBC News

BlackBerry crack took a year

The documents outline how, starting in May 2009, intelligence agents were unable to access some information on BlackBerry phones for about a year after the Canadian manufacturer began using a new method to compress the data. After GCHQ cracked that problem, too, analysts celebrated their achievement with the word "Champagne," Der Spiegel reported.
    09-09-13 05:34 PM
    Gees, I picked a crappy day to travel! Been speed reading everyone's posts, thanks for the great insights and fun atmosphere everyone In my professional opinion, we have reached the corkscrew portion of this rollercoaster, so keep your hands/arms in.

On a side note for those interested HALO reached a new 52wk high again today (tx Morgan!)
    09-09-13 05:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    Why is that?
    09-09-13 05:39 PM
    Why is that?
    He's not a bull any longer, which I can't really get my head around. Value investing is all about unrealized value...here is a hint...the value of this stock is going to go up another 30-70 percent when the board finally decides which direction to take....that is going to be pretty darn valuable for my account.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 05:55 PM
    I think this is just posturing at this point. I can't imagine the NSA or whatever relevant US agency allowing anything being sold on US soil that can bypass their agenda. So, in other words, I'm sure they have ordered decryption keys from BB for realtime access, *all hush hush*.
    morganplus8 and rarsen like this.
    09-09-13 06:00 PM
    Sorry if previously posted

Why Microsoft should have bought BlackBerry instead of Nokia

It's probably too late for BlackBerry, but it's still important to look at what Microsoft passed up in favor of the expensive Nokia.
    By Fredric Paul on Mon, 09/09/13 - 11:16am.

Why Microsoft should have bought BlackBerry instead of Nokia

As most everyone knows by now, last week Microsoft agreed to buy Nokia’s handset business. And as most people also probably know, BlackBerry put new effort into a strategic review for finding a buyer for itself.

This is backward. Microsoft should have bought BlackBerry, not Nokia. And Nokia is the company that should be casting around for a buyer.

Why Nokia?

Sure, Microsoft had some good reasons to spend $7.2 billion on Nokia and its patents. Most notably, the two companies were already in bed with one another, as Nokia currently makes the vast majority of the Windows Phone devices.

Perhaps just as importantly, Nokia was headed by a former Microsoft exec – Stephen Elop - who is now considered a top candidate to replace Steve Ballmer as Microsoft CEO when he leaves the company sometime in the next 12 months.

But let’s face it - Nokia was already getting its lunch eaten in the smartphone business, and many observers thought its Windows Phone models weren’t much better than those that Samsung and HTC put out, seemingly in their spare time. And once Microsoft is in the business of making phones, it’s unlikely any other big players will bother to make Windows Phones.

Why BlackBerry Instead?

It’s no secret that BlackBerry has its troubles, too. In fact, the Canadian smartphone maker may have fallen even further in the market than its Finnish counterpart, and probably controls an even smaller portion of the global smartphone market. The latest version of its operating system – BB10 – was years late, and the flagship phones that use it, the Q10 and Z10, have been huge disappointments, at least in terms of sales.

But despite its very real woes, the BlackBerry brand still means something, especially to hardcore business and government customers. Those customers – especially the IT departments at big corporations – value the very things that BlackBerry has long stood for: security, manageability, email, and yes, keyboards. BlackBerry, like Microsoft, has deep, ongoing relationships with many of those enterprise customers.

Those very customers are also Microsoft’s best hope for Windows Phone. And those business concerns are the very criteria that Microsoft promotes when it sells Windows to corporate customers (well, not so much the keyboards). Those are also the areas in which Microsoft will have to excel in order to earn a meaningful slice of the corporate smartphone market. Despite an ongoing string of slightly creepy consumer-focused ads, Microsoft’s best hope to remain relevant in the smartphone wars is to concentrate on the business market. Windows Phone, backed by Nokia or not, has little hope of dethroning iPhone or Android among smartphone consumers.

Nokia, after all, is best known for flooding the developing world with cheap feature phones, not developing business-friendly smartphone technology. What’s the synergy for Microsoft there?

It’s not like Microsoft and BlackBerry were strangers, either. Microsoft’s Bing is the default search engine on BB10 devices, and Microsoft and Nokia considered a joint bid for BlackBerry back in 2011.

Microsoft could even have saved a billion bucks buying BlackBerry instead of Nokia. At Friday’s 4pm price of $10.84, the company’s market cap is just $5.59 billion. Best of all, BlackBerry is also a foreign company, meaning Microsoft might have been able to use its overseas cash, as it reportedly plans to do with the Nokia deal.

It’s probably too late now – at least for BlackBerry’s handset business, though the company’s security technology and network could still be attractive. Microsoft has made its bed, and all three companies will have to lie in it.

Even so, it can’t hurt to spare a moment to think about what might have been.
    sidhuk, rarsen, YangFui and 2 others like this.
    09-09-13 06:18 PM
    I wonder how many layoffs that little acquisition is going to cause...10 - 20 thousand?

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-09-13 06:23 PM
    TORONTO (Reuters) - BlackBerry's biggest shareholder has approached several large Canadian investment funds about forging a deal to take the smartphone maker private, but the proposal is still "an airy-fairy, 'what if' kind of thing," according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation.

The shareholder, Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd, has a 10 percent stake, and its chairman and chief executive, Prem Watsa, has left BlackBerry's board already to avoid any possible conflict of interest as the company assesses its strategic options.

The source, who declined to be identified because the still-preliminary talks are private, said that in addition to Watsa's Fairfax there had been an early and informal approach about a possible deal from another investor.

The person declined to name the second party.
    Fairfax, one other, approached investors on BlackBerry: source - Yahoo! Finance
    take99 and m0de25 like this.
    09-09-13 06:29 PM
    Holy crap... another anonymous source with some very vague statements. I should call up Bloomberg or WSJ and tell them I wish to remain anonymous and tell them that funding has been arranged and the deal should go public in the coming days/weeks and that shareholders will be very happy.
    09-09-13 06:57 PM
    Shorts are desperate.

Posted via CB10
    fedakd and BergerKing like this.
    09-09-13 06:59 PM
    Holy crap... another anonymous source with some very vague statements. I should call up Bloomberg or WSJ and tell them I wish to remain anonymous and tell them that funding has been arranged and the deal should go public in the coming days/weeks and that shareholders will be very happy.
    Yes, but you have to admit that 'the source' does have a more precise, yet nuanced, view of 'the deal' as he or she said, "the proposal is still "an airy-fairy, 'what if' kind of thing,". As investors it is important that we know this.
    09-09-13 07:04 PM
    PLEASE! Do it. My Mom died from colon cancer. This was my 3rd time. It really isn't that bad considering it could save your life and prevent your wife from being an early widow and children losing their Dad far too early. They medicate you, give you some good drugs and if you ask nice they will play some Jimi Hendrix for ya. JUST DO IT!

Also, get your prostate checked regularly. . . . . I didn't and it took me 38 sessions in the BBQ plus lots of shots to still be here today.
    Thanks guys, I do really appreciate the thoughts and giving me a bit of the reality check. I dont know why i havent done it already being married just recently and a little one 16 months in. To schedule a check up in Canada takes forever, so I will do that when I visit asia come january.

I sort of figure out a plan to counter the experiences, *think about the the feeling of shorts getting burn* and I will probably feel a lot better while getting checked

Thanks again!!
    09-09-13 07:10 PM
    Pension funds cool to BlackBerry buyout overtures - The Globe and Mail

It has been a tough sell so far. Sources say none of the big funds have jumped on board with the idea, amid growing skepticism about the company’s ability to turn around falling sales. Fairfax is also talking to potential buyers for its 9.9-per-cent stake.
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    09-09-13 07:20 PM
    Wind things up to get the stock price up before the earnings release. We know the release is going to be bad as management has already warned that it would be. Stock will get knocked back down. There are several ways to play the takeover game as the aggressor 1. Take the company out quickly perhaps overpaying in terms of increasing future value i.e. sales volumes dropping, subscribers dropping. Hard to know how quickly the boat can be righted. 2. Wait till things are really bad and put in a stink bid in hopes no one else comes out of the woodwork. I would say that the first scenario is the best, take BB private, get out of the media and public stock market spotlight and start to turn the ship around. I would think with the BOD saying they are speeding up the process, that it will not be very long so the first scenario seems more likely. As for those that are looking at getting $20 per share under any offer. The only way I see this happening is it BBM gets launched very soon and grows to 200 million subscribers by Christmas (assuming BB is not already been taken over). The writing is on the wall for the handset business. There is little to no future in it. The value is in the OS licensing, services, enterprise etc. First, a clean move needs to be done to reassure business that it is business as usual on the Enterprise side. Then in roads in that space need to be accomplished. If BB can survive as a private company, there is going to be plenty of opportunity in the market place. No one in the media mentions the nightmare Apple has on there hands trying to upgrade hundreds of millions of customers. Anecdotally, I know friends with iphones that are only 8 gigs. This will hardly allow iOS 7 to run let alone with the amount of RAM in them. Sure Apple will let you trade you old phone in. Apple is not known for making things cheap to do so there are going to be a lot of smartphone users i.e. iphone users that are going to be super pissed at Apple if iOS 7 doesn't work simply and easily. Bet that it becomes a huge nightmare for Apple? You bet ya!!!!
    09-09-13 07:25 PM

It has been a tough sell so far. Sources say none of the big funds have jumped on board with the idea, amid growing skepticism about the company’s ability to turn around falling sales. Fairfax is also talking to potential buyers for its 9.9-per-cent stake.
    Ok.. this is where it just gets dumb. How can he be looking for buyers for his stake? Can't he just sell on the market should he want to sell it? Like holy **** man.
    BlackistheBerry and sidhuk like this.
    09-09-13 07:40 PM

It has been a tough sell so far. Sources say none of the big funds have jumped on board with the idea, amid growing skepticism about the company�s ability to turn around falling sales. Fairfax is also talking to potential buyers for its 9.9-per-cent stake.
    Didn't Prem just publicly state that he is not selling his shares any time soon?

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR and sidhuk like this.
    09-09-13 07:43 PM
    Ok.. this is where it just gets dumb. How can he be looking for buyers for his stake? Can't he just sell on the market should he want to sell it? Like holy **** man.
    It's not uncommon to find one buyer when you have that many shares.

You can't just flood the market with that much stock
    Posted via CB10
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    09-09-13 07:44 PM
113,250 ... 18791880188118821883 ...