View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    And corporate buyers hardly care about what the general public is buying if they are really concerned about their corporate security.
    Sure, but they will care about whether the company they are dealing with will be in business in the next 2-3 years.
    09-06-13 04:42 PM
    • notfanboy 2.2 million
    • CGK 2.3 million
    • Bugmapper 2.4 million - EPS of -$0.10
    • Abouthsu 2.5 million
    • Gesig Boek 2.7 million
    • Superfly_FR 3.0 million
    • Cjcampbell 3.7 million
    09-06-13 04:44 PM
    I'll say 2.5 Million.

Anyone here thinking of doing a sell off if we have no updates right before the ER... This is going to be a toughy for me... Say we are at sub $12 a share and ER is tomorrow, what do you do!?!?!?
    09-06-13 04:54 PM
    I'll say 2.5 Million.

Anyone here thinking of doing a sell off if we have no updates right before the ER... This is going to be a toughy for me... Say we are at sub $12 a share and ER is tomorrow, what do you do!?!?!?
    I would make sure I know what the street estimates are and judge from that. If it's expected to be horrible, and it is, there will be little movement as the stock is being traded currently under value, on speculation of a buyout, and an assumed horrible quarter.
    09-06-13 04:59 PM
    So....incase you guys didn't already know.....x BBM is REALLY coming soon....

BlackBerry: We submitted BBM for iOS two weeks ago

Details here.....

http://m.cnet.com/news/blackberry-we...s-ago/57601795
    09-06-13 05:00 PM
    • notfanboy 2.2 million
    • CGK 2.3 million
    • Abouthsu 2.5 million
    • Gesig Boek 2.7 million
    • Cjcampbell 3.7 million
    I'll go in at 2.0
    09-06-13 05:00 PM
    • lcjr 2.0 million
    • notfanboy 2.2 million
    • CGK 2.3 million
    • Abouthsu 2.5 million
    • Kid Vibe 2.5 million
    • Gesig Boek 2.7 million
    • Cjcampbell 3.7 million

(Since this is friendly, more than one poster can pick a number and they can share the bragging rights).
    Superfly_FR and Kid Vibe like this.
    09-06-13 05:03 PM
    I'll say 2.5 Million.

Kid, the ER is the morning of 27 SEP. By EOD 25 SEP without any news I'll sell. I'm selling because if there's no news the SP will tank again on ER until the smoke settles and news comes out. I'll buy back in at a lower SP, thus increasing my shares for the increase that will come. Make since?
    abouthsu and Kid Vibe like this.
    09-06-13 05:03 PM
    Cgk -

You missed my 'price is right' guess. It's as quoted below:

My guess (and I hope to be under-guessing by a long long long shot!)

• BB 10 sales: 1.96 M ( )
    • EPS: -$0.15 ( )
    Let me also add this:
    BBM users: 100M ( if they disclose number of (total) BBM users (including iOS/Android) and if BBM is released before 20th Sep. )

Posted via CB 10 app on my Q10!
    Randeman and fedakd like this.
    09-06-13 05:12 PM
    I'mma go for 4 million. 1000 businesses each picking up a fleet of 1000 phones a piece could slip under the channel check radar through direct sales.
    09-06-13 05:13 PM
    I'll say 2.5 Million.

if it is a flip of the coin, you could have half in cash. in case of a sell off you can bargain hunt half and in case of a rally you are already in and you can always add to your position, even if it is at a higher price.
    cjcampbell and lcjr like this.
    09-06-13 05:14 PM
    So....incase you guys didn't already know.....x BBM is REALLY coming soon....

BlackBerry: We submitted BBM for iOS two weeks ago

Details here.....

http://m.cnet.com/news/blackberry-we...s-ago/57601795
    Strong xbbm downloads should prevent sell off.
    09-06-13 05:16 PM
    Kid, the ER is the morning of 27 SEP. By EOD 25 SEP without any news I'll sell. I'm selling because if there's no news the SP will tank again on ER until the smoke settles and news comes out. I'll buy back in at a lower SP, thus increasing my shares for the increase that will come. Make since?
    You can count on silence from BB from here on out. It's only 3 weeks now till the ER and it's silence time.
    bungaboy, lcjr, Kid Vibe and 1 others like this.
    09-06-13 05:17 PM
    CGK, you missed chrysaurora's guess below...

I hate to be the party pooper, but I think we pretty much came to a halt until further notice... so my guess is 1.75m

My guess (and I hope to be under-guessing by a long long long shot!)

• BB 10 sales: 1.96 M ( )
    • EPS: -$0.15 ( )
    • lcjr 2.0 million
    • notfanboy 2.2 million
    • CGK 2.3 million
    • Abouthsu 2.5 million
    • Kid Vibe 2.5 million
    • Gesig Boek 2.7 million
    • Cjcampbell 3.7 million

(Since this is friendly, more than one poster can pick a number and they can share the bragging rights).
    09-06-13 05:18 PM
    Cgk -

You missed my 'price is right' guess. It's as quoted below:

Let me also add this:
    BBM users: 100M ( if they disclose number of (total) BBM users (including iOS/Android) and if BBM is released before 20th Sep. )

Posted via CB 10 app on my Q10!
    Sorry chum, i'll add you in.
    09-06-13 05:19 PM
    Meow . . . . .

Former top exec calls Nokia's phone business ‘a complete failure'

BGR
    September-06-13 5:45 PM GMT

Under CEO Stephen Elop, Nokia underwent some serious changes that saw Symbian and MeeGo scrapped in favor of Microsoft's Windows Phone platform. The company has since continued to struggle despite a few signs of life here and there, and it recently admitted defeat as plans to exit the smartphone business with a $7.2 billion sale to Microsoft were announced. According to former top executive and 19-year Nokia vet Anssi Vanjoki, Nokia's switch to Windows Phone and its strategy over the years that followed were “a complete failure.”

“This is a complete failure of chosen strategy and its implementation,” Vanojki wrote in a note to Verge. “Nokia was not able to make it work. For Finland's sake I hope Microsoft will.”

The former Nokia smartphone boss said that the sale to Microsoft is “shameful, but unavoidable,” and he certainly doesn't sound optimistic about the future of the smartphone business that is about to change hands. Vanojki was believed to be among the front-runners for Nokia CEO following former chief Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo's departure, and he resigned from the company immediately following Elop's arrival.
    09-06-13 05:22 PM
    • m0de25 1.75 million
    • Chrysaurora 1.96 million - EPS of -$0.15
    • lcjr 2.0 million
    • Notfanboy 2.2 million
    • CGK 2.3 million
    • Abouthsu 2.5 million
    • Kid Vibe 2.5 million
    • Gesig Boek 2.7 million
    • Cjcampbell 3.7 million
    • Morlock_man 4.0 million
    • Tommy Heins 10.0 million
    09-06-13 05:23 PM
    You can count on silence from BB from here on out. It's only 3 weeks now till the ER and it's silence time.
    Yeah, forgot about that one. Well, we two weeks before the ER and starting next week I'm going back to my playing the peaks and dips to build up some shares. Risky, but I can do it. I'm kicking myself right now because I was going to sell this morning and buy back this afternoon and got to busy at work. I could have made a few hundred dollars or increased my shares. I'm not missing another opportunity again, as I've just been sitting on these shares as the SP has gone up and down and I did nothing.

Well, that was long winded, so I'll head out now and go see some mini-skirts and cleavage while drinking a few cold ones!!

Chat with you guys in a bit!
    09-06-13 05:29 PM
    The novelty wanes . . . .

Stephen Elop: Microsoft's $7 billion man

VentureBeat
    September-06-13 8:15 PM GMT
    Devindra Hardawar/VentureBeat

Jack Gold is the founder and principal analyst at J.Gold Associates.

This week, Microsoft announced it's buying the devices business of Nokia for $7.2 billion. While there have been rumors circulating to this effect for many months, especially once Stephen Elop took over as Nokia CEO, it nevertheless surprised me.

I'm surprised because I believe Microsoft already had the best of both worlds the way things were. So why did Microsoft spend $7B or so on buying a devices manufacturing capability to which it was already essentially married?

For Microsoft, I think it's as much about getting Stephen Elop back as it is getting into the handset business, although certainly having handsets under their own roof was not a trivial decision for them to make. Buying Nokia's handset business is the most logical way to quickly get into the market of directly selling mobile devices, a stated goal of the “new” Microsoft strategy of devices and services recently announced by Ballmer. Nokia is wholly dependent on Windows Phone and Microsoft anyway (except for it's lower end Asha phones, which is not of much interest to Microsoft) and because of this very close relationship, they already know each other extremely well.

Given Ballmer's recent decision to “retire”, and Microsoft's less than stellar performance in mobile (a critical weakness given market dynamics), it became apparent it needed to do something radical. The public face may have said we're buying Nokia to be a hardware manufacturer (in a reaction to Apple and Google having gone vertical). But in the final analysis, a key factor as I see it is that Microsoft gets Elop back on board as an exec.

That is a clear indication that Microsoft needs additional “new thinkers” when it comes to management, and when it comes to new products, especially in mobile. Elop did a good job leading Nokia, given the cards he was dealt, and his presence may spur Microsoft to rethink some of its strategy as he leads the mobile team. Importantly, in my assessment, this puts Elop at the top of the list of potential successors to Ballmer. And of course, its quite possible that Elop was already approached on becoming the heir apparent, and said he would only do it if he didn't throw Nokia to the wolves by leaving in troubled times. If this is the case, his loyalty is admirable.

However, I am not convinced in the long run that buying Nokia will achieve the goal of making Microsoft a leader in mobility, even if Elop becomes the next CEO and applies a sharp focus to the mobility market. Google hasn't done so well with Motorola after it acquired a device company (although the hardware was not the primary motivation for Google, and it has much higher revenue generation potential in other places to subsidize this).

Other failed acquisitions loom large (remember HP/Palm?). And Microsoft now runs the risk of essentially alienating any key OEMs of mobile devices who were inclined to license Windows Phone. This may even extend to tablets, as Nokia will probably now assume the leadership position within Microsoft of designing and building tablets (especially in light of the rumored Nokia RT tablet). Microsoft may gain a competitive posture against Apple (which in my opinion is vulnerable to attack on this front), but it may not easily achieve what it is looking to do.

At the end of the day, Microsoft has to compete on the attractiveness of Windows to the end user, and just having a device producer on board doesn't get them there. Nor will having Nokia on board dramatically extend Microsoft's ecosystem in mobility, which is a key problem for them to deal with. Mobile today is a business of scale (as BlackBerry, HTC and others are discovering). Does this acquisition give Microsoft that scale? I don't think its enough to matter. Can Elop, if and when he becomes the new CEO, fix all of these problems that Microsoft has to deal with? Perhaps, but it will certainly not be done in a short amount of time. And with the incredibly rapid pace of change in the mobile market, time is of the essence, particularly for Microsoft.

Overall, I'm skeptical that this is a long term winning strategy for Microsoft in Mobile, even if Elop ascends to overall leadership. I think Microsoft could have achieved the same thing through their existing strategic partnership with Nokia by simply “staking” Nokia to the funds it needed (which they have done in the past), and “buying” up Elop's contract, if that was the real goal. It remains to be seen how Microsoft leverages this new devices company it's now about to own. We should know how successful it is in the next 1-2 years. Even though I think that Elop can do a good job leading the resurgence, I'm not optimistic that Microsoft can make needed changes in a short enough period of time to matter.

Jack Gold is the founder and principal analyst at J.Gold Associates, based in Northborough, Mass. He covers the many aspects of business and consumer computing and emerging technologies.
    09-06-13 05:36 PM
    Well here is my WAG!

3.15 million
    -$0.12 EPS
    sidhuk likes this.
    09-06-13 05:42 PM
    Yeah, forgot about that one. Well, we two weeks before the ER and starting next week I'm going back to my playing the peaks and dips to build up some shares. Risky, but I can do it. I'm kicking myself right now because I was going to sell this morning and buy back this afternoon and got to busy at work. I could have made a few hundred dollars or increased my shares. I'm not missing another opportunity again, as I've just been sitting on these shares as the SP has gone up and down and I did nothing.

Well, that was long winded, so I'll head out now and go see some mini-skirts and cleavage while drinking a few cold ones!!

Peaks 'n Dips . . . . Cleavage . . . . Cold Ones?
    cjcampbell, Randeman, lcjr and 2 others like this.
    09-06-13 05:44 PM

For me personally, I don't want to play dips and peeks as the amount of shares I have I don't really want to 'play' with. BB is probably going to be dead silent until ER... We will see... I just hope we don't dip to single digits again. Also, interesting how some of the big banks added to their position... hmm.

Another note, imagine if BB releases some BIG news during ER (JP Morgan order, partnership) and one decided to sell just beforehand.
    bungaboy, rarsen and lcjr like this.
    09-06-13 05:49 PM
    Excuse me CGK, what I said was 10's of millions not 10 million

• m0de25 1.75 million
    • Chrysaurora 1.96 million - EPS of -$0.15
    • lcjr 2.0 million
    • Notfanboy 2.2 million
    • CGK 2.3 million
    • Abouthsu 2.5 million
    • Kid Vibe 2.5 million
    • Gesig Boek 2.7 million
    • Cjcampbell 3.7 million
    • Morlock_man 4.0 million
    • Tommy Heins 10.0 million
    Randeman, m0de25, fedakd and 1 others like this.
    09-06-13 05:52 PM
    In an hour I'll be watching mini-skirts and cleavage while enjoying some cold wheat beers.
    Mmmmm cold wheat beers. Mmmmmm cleavage! Mini-skirts...don't get me started!

Lenny. How did the latest house-hunting trip go?
    09-06-13 05:56 PM
    Lady and gentlemen, I do believe we have a spawn... lol.
    m0de25, bungaboy, lcjr and 1 others like this.
    09-06-13 06:02 PM
113,256 ... 18641865186618671868 ...