View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    and when you are talking Microsoft and phones, don't overlook Skype. How can they use Skype with Nokia and potentially BB? Might be some interesting potential.
    Godd morning, gang !

Anytime I read this, the same sentence rings my mind : "What could prevent Skype to be BBM connected : nothing"
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-06-13 at 03:11 AM.
    silversun10, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    09-06-13 02:30 AM
    I guess someone has to bring it up...this is a great thread with a bunch of great people...if...IF BlackBerry disappears it would be a shame to lose touch. Seems to me a stock talk forum should be made....with other topics too (after hours).

What's the plan?

Posted via CB10
    Try ... www.StockBerrians.com ?
    "We're here to last and we consider any option" : sounds familiar ?

P.S: as of date, redirected right here.
    09-06-13 02:32 AM
    Only problem there is HDMI is one way. We'd need something that was a seamless 2 way communication where as the touch interface on the peripheral was speedy enough to control the power that came from the phone with no lag or lack of experience. Also, it would somehow have to scale automatically for both shape and orientation. Using a dock for a computer screen or tv, or lack of dock isn't tough as all the input comes directly from the main device, adding input via the second sounds tough.
    No, I think it's two way: AV-Link, for instance may handle the touch perfectly (remember we're talking about Gb/s multiples here - 2.0 will be 6 Gb/s, 1.4 is 3.7 Gb/s . Also, since HDMI 1.4, it can be linked to the [ethernet-wired] network up to 100 Mb/s.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-06-13 02:52 AM
    Some Armchair CEO ... good & bad = food for thoughts.
    - hardware margins
    - why BB (interesting valuation for us, shareholders)

Microsoft Corporation (MSFT): Why Microsoft Needs To Buy BlackBerry To Go With Its $7.2B Nokia Handset Division Acquisition - Seeking Alpha
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-06-13 03:16 AM
    I use Questrade as some of the US ones won't let Canadians sign up. So far so good and anytime I need support help I've called and gotten someone to help me.

In regards too AMD I read/heard the XBox is having parts pblms and may not be able to make some of its pre sale orders. Not sure if that will increase SP
    BergerKing and abouthsu like this.
    09-06-13 04:14 AM
    Some Armchair CEO ... good & bad = food for thoughts.
    - hardware margins
    - why BB (interesting valuation for us, shareholders)

Microsoft Corporation (MSFT): Why Microsoft Needs To Buy BlackBerry To Go With Its $7.2B Nokia Handset Division Acquisition - Seeking Alpha
    It's a terrible article and here's why - it's takes no account of the internal culture at Microsoft - the chances of them adopting BB10 and dropping WP are something between Zero and absolutely no effing chance. He might as well have talked about them adopting iOS - MSFT might still asset-strip off some patents and might be interested in some of the enterprise stuff but the adoption of bb10 is just not going to happen.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 09-06-13 at 08:19 AM. Reason: You know why.
    m1a1mg and m0de25 like this.
    09-06-13 05:27 AM
    It's a terrible article and here's why - it's takes no account of the internal culture at Microsoft - the chances of them adopting BB10 and dropping WP are something between Zero and absolutely no effing chance. He might as well have talked about them adopting iOS - MSFT might still asset-strip off some patents and might be interested in some of the enterprise stuff but the adoption of bb10 is just not going to happen.
    How do you know that?
    Last edited by BergerKing; 09-06-13 at 08:20 AM.
    09-06-13 05:34 AM
    How do you know that?

Do you see Apple adopting it? This is just as unlikely - Use your mentality - Microsoft has just spent the last five years building an ecosystem that has common UI elements across all platforms (desktop, laptop, tablet, xbox, WP) - they are going to drop one of them to use a common different design language and look and feel?

That's *before* you get into any of the technical issues.

I know people like to have lurid fantasies but the idea of MSFT dropping WP for BB10 is the sort of thing that you can only dream up if you smoke a lot of crack.
    09-06-13 05:37 AM
    Do you see Apple adopting it? This is just as unlikely - Use your mentality - Microsoft has just spent the last five years building an ecosystem that has common UI elements across all platforms (desktop, laptop, tablet, xbox, WP) - they are going to drop one of them to use a common different design language and look and feel?

I know people like to have lurid fantasies but the idea of MSFT dropping WP for BB10 is the sort of thing that you can only dream up if you smoke a lot of crack.
    So seems like you were just guessing then. That's fine, I was just curious if you knew for sure.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-13 05:42 AM

I agree. Imo, Microsoft would just need to extract and use the NOC (already have Nokia's centres which they got in the deal), MDM/security assets which they can overlay under their Windows offering and the car clientele and footprint.

I think you can look at it in the same way as to when RIM was buying companies which put together became BB10 (TAT, Scoreloop, Gist, Tungle and QNX).

Everything else can be scrapped and sold for parts.

Posted via CB10
    m1a1mg, sidhuk and bondary like this.
    09-06-13 06:37 AM
    Up in pre market trading...
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000631.png

Posted via a laser focused BB10 device
    09-06-13 06:48 AM

Completely agree on this one.

Besides, MSFT said about 20 years ago they were going to crush QNX. Suddenly adopting it would seem like one hell of a u-turn.

Samsung on the other hand...
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-06-13 07:02 AM
    On CNBC Squawk Box today.....
    Laugh at BlackBerry...
    Report that the NSA has broken most of the encription codes out there (don't mention Certicom or BB)
    Report on the new wonderful next iPhone with a finger print scanner and iOS7 with the new streaming music service. WOW
    Laugh at BB again
    They just can't say anything nice about any Canadian company.....
    What is EEC/Blackberry worth now, if it's the only encryption system out there?
    It's so valuable the US Gov. may have to void the patents in the name of national security.
    09-06-13 07:16 AM
    On CNBC Squawk Box today.....
    Laugh at BlackBerry...
    Report that the NSA has broken most of the encription codes out there (don't mention Certicom or BB)
    Report on the new wonderful next iPhone with a finger print scanner and iOS7 with the new streaming music service. WOW
    Laugh at BB again
    They just can't say anything nice about any Canadian company.....
    What is EEC/Blackberry worth now, if it's the only encryption system out there?
    It's so valuable the US Gov. may have to void the patents in the name of national security.
    ECC is only valuable to the NSA if no one is allowed to use it.

If it were to find its way into the hands of the average consumer, it would just make their jobs that much harder.
    bungaboy, sidhuk and peter9477 like this.
    09-06-13 07:19 AM

I actually agree with what you are saying, but, as I mentioned the other day, the delivery here is what gets negative. The bolded text is what I mean. It's confrontational, insulting, and leads to people lashing back, which in turn, gets this thread on the watch list of the mods. You could have left that part out and you would be getting positive and rational discussion from the folks here as opposed to being added to ignore lists.... not that you care about that but still...
    09-06-13 07:21 AM
    Seems like I will need to buy some AMD to be a part of this thread!
    I guess I will jump in tomorrow.

Haven't researched it much, but will take you guys' word for it. ( I can blame the 'confirmation bias' later if things go wrong).
    21.8% of the float is short. Similar struggles as BB for the moment.
    bungaboy, sidhuk and anon(4086547) like this.
    09-06-13 07:43 AM
    How Wall Street looks after Wall Street:

16 Major Firms May Have Received Early Data From Thomson Reuters | Matt Taibbi | Rolling Stone

Readers may recall an ugly story that broke earlier this summer, when New York State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman rebuked the news/business information firm Thomson Reuters for selling access to key economic survey data two seconds early to high-frequency algorithmic traders. The story strongly suggested that some Thomson Reuters customers were using their two-second head start (an eternity in the modern world of computerized trading) to front-run the markets.

"The early release of market-moving survey data undermines fair play in the markets," Schneiderman said, back in the second week of July. Thomson Reuters suspended the practice of selling two-second head starts after Schneiderman insisted upon a change. Still, the firm defiantly refused to declare the change permanent and insisted that it had the right to "legally distribute non-governmental data" to "fee-paying subscribers."

It turns out that there's more to the story.

Back in June, journalist Simone Foxman at the global economic site Quartz reported that in addition to the two-second head start some Thomson Reuters customers were getting on the release of the University of Michigan Survey of Consumers, other customers may have been getting their data even earlier, "nearly an hour in advance" in some cases.

Read more: 16 Major Firms May Have Received Early Data From Thomson Reuters | Matt Taibbi | Rolling Stone
    Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
    09-06-13 07:45 AM
    I actually agree with what you are saying, but, as I mentioned the other day, the delivery here is what gets negative. The bolded text is what I mean. It's confrontational, insulting, and leads to people lashing back, which in turn, gets this thread on the watch list of the mods. You could have left that part out and you would be getting positive and rational discussion from the folks here as opposed to being added to ignore lists.... not that you care about that but still...
    I am certain it is difficult to be evenhanded when some people are insisting white is black. I am pretty even tempered and even I had difficulty then someone insisted BB could treble their Canadian installed base in the space of days.
    09-06-13 07:50 AM
    Hope you are all enjoying the SP rise! I am still OK with it, I would have held until I got even at $15 anyway so any flucuation between 10-15 wouldn't have mattered to me. I hope for you sake it gets to $15+. If it does, I expect a collection to be taken and sent to me for taking one for the team.
    09-06-13 07:51 AM
    Maybe this is the difference between US English and UK English but my use of you is generic rather than specific but I will be more careful in future.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
    09-06-13 07:56 AM
    Job numbers in US miss. US adds 169,000 jobs in August. Forecast was 180,000 jobs.

Canada did ok by adding 59,000 jobs in August. Forecast was 30,000 job gains.

Let's see how this plays out today.
    09-06-13 08:07 AM
    My honest "mentality" is that I would buy BB in a heartbeat if I were Apple. It would be one of the best moves second only to buying NeXT.
    Then I would keep both BB10 and iOS operate as parallel lines of products. Then I would drop the one that starts to lose money.
    Same for MS, I would do anything to get BB.
    But...what do I know.

Technical issues are problematic only for people who do not know how to solve them.

Sometimes, not always, that's what separates the men from the boys.
    09-06-13 08:12 AM
    Thought I would post some different charts while we await real news on BlackBerry. Here is BlackBerry looking at its milestones over the past couple weeks:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-sept-6-2013-chart.jpg

The two major hurdles for BBRY were its 50-dma and its 50-ema, it took out both of them in short order. It has resistance at just above $ 11.00/shr which is where it had previous closes, after that, it is clear sailing to the 200-ema at $ 12.18/shr and then the 200-dma in the high $ 12.00's. We will fill each of these levels over time. Note the channel that has formed, this is a nice clean chart now with some RSI upside left in this rally.

Then there is AMD, a chart here shows us that it has some major work to do to move higher here:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-amd-sept-6-2013-chart.jpg

There is the descending pennant to challenge, there are many resistant levels to deal with ,there is the blow-off top to consider and there is the 50-ema and the 20-ema to get above in the short-term. In addition to all of this, there is the RSI which has just bounced off its over-sold level and ready to challenge each of the resistant levels mentioned earlier. So you'll need to see the stock close above its high from yesterday and hold that level. Then follow the levels I have mentioned to see if it has some rally to go here.

Here is my pick for the rest of 2013, it's HALO and it is about to rocket:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-halo-sept-6-2013-chart.jpg

This one has moved above its moving averages, it has been quietly making short work of rallying since April and looks to be ready to burst above its 52 week high. Because the stock has rallied so hard, it is close to over-bought in the short-term with the RSI = 70, so you would watch for a breakout any day now, and if it doesn't occur, make use of this chart to buy it on any pull back. I hope it fails on this push and pulls back one more time so I can buy a large block of it. The story behind the stock is huge, the Baker Brothers bought a very large ownership position in it and there is a huge Call option purchase in the $ 8.50 area for October, all bullish signs for a company with huge potential.

As for the general market, the DOW looks great in here, all stocks do well when the DOW is bullish, BBRY is no exception and should continue to rally while we wait for real news. To me real news is the launch of BB 10.2 and BBM-X, something that can be backed up by the company. Hopefully we get those two items next week. As for the ER, I'm not concerned about it, the market has BBRY priced for zero phone sales now. Sure, the Wall Street Enquirer will come out with an article bashing sales of BlackBerry tablets in Alaska referencing a single mother of four who has never even heard of the Playbook before, ignore it and look for real news, that's what matters.
    09-06-13 08:15 AM
    Well here is to hoping that the pump and dump is over lol
    lcjr and abouthsu like this.
    09-06-13 08:22 AM
    Here is my pick for the rest of 2013, it's HALO and it is about to rocket:
    Thanks M8. I just bought a few hundred shares for kicks.
    This is my area of expertise, so I did a quick research on the company and its technology. Seems promising and has a clear niche that larger pharmas would love to have.
    morganplus8, lcjr, sidhuk and 9 others like this.
    09-06-13 08:35 AM
113,256 ... 18591860186118621863 ...