View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    BB should go for broke and market itself as the most secure platform. Smh, read below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/us...anted=all&_r=0
    MAJORITY of people are more concerned with the ability to play Candy Crush and post pictures to Instagram then they are about what the NSA is doing. Most expect that the government is doing all of this anyway... And let's face it, what is really secure about a non BES BB10 device? There isn't any difference in you sending a email with a Z10 than an Android - UNLESS you are on a corporate network, then it is you boss that is checking on you..
    09-05-13 03:07 PM
    Doesn't count if you're by yourself! Unless it's a cowbell.
    Hand Jiving?
    cjcampbell, sidhuk and Randeman like this.
    09-05-13 03:07 PM
    Way cool, I'm really up with SIRI Sirius XM Radio Inc. (SIRI) Interactive Chart Analysis - NASDAQ.com

and I'm not doing bad with AMD. Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD) Interactive Chart Analysis - NASDAQ.com

With AMD I'll just cruise along waiting for the holiday gift buying season and watch the SP steadily rise until people get greedy and start returning their gifts for cash exchange. hahahahaha. At that time (17 JAN ER) I'll sell it or ride along until it starts to go back down.
    morganplus8, sidhuk and Compaqee like this.
    09-05-13 03:09 PM
    Ok, over my head... I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Edit: regarding Superfly_FR and Bungaboy's post. I understand what CJ and Randeman are UP to. haha.
    Look at the chart from 13:00 to 16:00. Dem games.
    lcjr and sidhuk like this.
    09-05-13 03:12 PM
    A little OT but has anyone heard of Himax Technologies or have a position in them?
    LoL. Remind me to never go fishing with you.
    Bugmapper and sidhuk like this.
    09-05-13 03:17 PM
    I love this comment under the article:

"Apples new phone will be unlocked by your fingerprint and so the NSA will get your e-mail and your fingerprint too. A new data bank will contain the fingerprints for all users of Apple customer's prints. Of course Apple will sell this as a security measure as they comply with Secret Court Orders. That way we all will be kept safe????"

Just a year ago, this would have sounded like some crazy lunatic raving, but under the article, it soundsalmost like a fait accompli...

In the not so distant future, the new biometric scanners will be based on iris, or DNA detection. Then the fun begins when the government has not only a record of all your communications, friends, inner thoughts, journals, but your biological profile...

BB should go for broke and market itself as the most secure platform. Smh, read below.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/us...anted=all&_r=0
    morganplus8, lcjr, rarsen and 5 others like this.
    09-05-13 03:18 PM
    So... I get the impression that most people here only invest in (or are heavily weighted toward) tech stocks. True?
    One reason that got us here, #BBRY. folks that are into techs tend to invest in tech stocks. diversification among the techs, thanks to LJ, I now have some shares in AMD as well. =) people gotta stop quoting symbols here, especially the ones that know what they are doing =P
    bungaboy, Bugmapper, lcjr and 1 others like this.
    09-05-13 03:18 PM
    So... I get the impression that most people here only invest in (or are heavily weighted toward) tech stocks. True?
    Not for me. BBRY is my only tech stock. Others are mostly Oil & Gas, Banks and Engineering/Construction.
    rarsen, sidhuk and Bugmapper like this.
    09-05-13 03:20 PM
    LoL. Remind me to never go fishing with you.
    I'm confused...why's that?
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    09-05-13 03:20 PM
    Yep it is. Apparently Google acquired ~7% of the company with the option to double that. They're making liquid crystal on silicon chips (LCOS), which are used in the production of wearable computing such as Google Glass.

If wearable takes off...
    That would be a BIG if in my opinion.
    Bugmapper and sidhuk like this.
    09-05-13 03:21 PM
    I realize this but them announcing a sale in the first place was a total screw up on their part. Why announce something like ?? Puts a total negative vibe around the company. Unless they already know that there is a done deal , which I dont think there is at this point
    They didn't announce a sale. What they did was announce a committee to look at and consider all options. The "sale" option is the only aspect of the announcement that the media has decided to run with so it resonates with people. You are the perfect example of their power.
    09-05-13 03:22 PM
    Hmmm.... I wonder if converting Blackberry into an umbrella/holding company for 3 - 5 corporate entities would make the whole thing more palatable. BBM Inc., BBM2M Inc, BBMDM Inc, BBPhones Inc. BBNetwork Inc.

Each Company can work with whomever their natural partner is. BBM Inc partners with Linkdin and ?; BBm2m works with automotive and automation groups; BBmdm works in the corporate, consumer and government sectors to provide storefronts, services and management; BBPhones works in the consumer and enterprise communication business; BBNetwork provides network/cloud services.

I may not have the divisions correct but you get the picture. This way each division reports and functions independently, can be renamed, and Blackberry becomes just a holding company called Blackberry Group Inc.

Too inefficient?
    Are you on the "BlackBerry holding" track ? So am I. That's 3.0 enterprise...
    And clearly I believe there's so many ways it can take form and unleash potential...
    We might be dreaming. But I love this dream.

Datz From my Z10 amigo.
    09-05-13 03:27 PM
    I'm confused...why's that?
    A joke. You said "A little OT" so I related to a "fishing story". You know how the one that got away continue to grow.

Anyways, I flubbed the punch line.
    cjcampbell and sidhuk like this.
    09-05-13 03:30 PM
    And clearly I believe there's so many ways it can take form and unleash potential...
    Yes. And without "Selling the company"

Seems so crude and simplistic. There are so many delicate maneuvers that can be made, I hope they don't choose the most blunt instrument in their toolbag.
    zyben, bungaboy, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    09-05-13 03:39 PM
    Yes. And without "Selling the company"
    Yes sir. Selling Not. Splitting, joining and control. OMG what a move it'll be. "Fascinating", at least.

Datz From my Z10 amigo.
    Bugmapper, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    09-05-13 03:44 PM

Datz From my Z10 amigo.
    Although I sometimes mention selling, there's a reason. If I sell it's because I believe the SP will fall to lower levels where I can buy back in and thus increasing my shares owned. Risky?? Hell yes it's risky, but I don't have the money most do on this thread. I started off here with 10 shares and played the dips and peaks with Kid Vibe building up my shares. I got pretty dang good at this too. I now have 362 shares and if I play this ER right, I can end up with around 442 shares when/if it dips back to the $9 level. I know BB will be around in some way for quite some time so I'm not walking out on BB, just trying to increase my shares by taking advantage of what's going on with them and the market. Still waiting for my Z30!!
    09-05-13 03:47 PM
    I invest in Banks, Insurance, Automobile and BBRY is the only tech stock I own. Made some good coin in the solar bubble before the pop

bungaboy and Bugmapper like this.
    09-05-13 03:48 PM
    Just an SA but falls in line with what M8 has been suggesting "could" happen:

Most would agree that Microsoft (MSFT) missed the smartphone revolution and is now doing what it can to stay relevant in that sector by purchasing Nokia's (NOK) handset division, plus related patents.

MSFT has been growing its cash steadily over the past four years (see image below)

(click to enlarge)

(Image courtesy of RBC Direct Investing)

The reader will note that MSFT only spent roughly 10% of its cash for the NOK related purchase, and this leaves plenty left for another acquisition.

What's interesting is that purchasing part or all of BlackBerry (BBRY) would be an even cleaner deal than the NOK deal. This is supported by the well known fact that BBRY has no debt and is chalked up with about $3 billion in cash, nearly half of what MSFT just paid for NOK's assets.

The reason why MSFT would want to do something like that is simple. Number 1, MSFT just fought off a patent case brought on by Google (GOOG), and as a result MSFT could use all the patents it can get. BBRY has patents that GOOG itself bid on in the past from Nortel's old chest of patents. As a result this would add potential protection for MSFT and add value for shareholders.

In examining a potential purchase price of BBRY for MSFT, as of yesterday's close of $10.75 for BBRY, we are only looking at a market cap of $5.6 billion. Therefore if we add a 35% premium to the price similar to what MSFT just paid NOK, then we come out to less than $15 a share for BBRY. What is funny about this number is it is darn close to what MSFT just paid for NOK, roughly $7.5 billion. Which in the end is just another paltry 10% of MSFT's cash. Even if MSFT paid $20 a share for BBRY it would still be a good deal.

So looking at the big picture, MSFT only has to spend roughly 20% of its cash holdings total, and it ends up gobbling up 3rd and 4th spot in smartphone market share to come out as the solid and incontestable 3rd place contender. The solid 3rd place contender that all the cell carriers wanted to see compete with Apple (AAPL) and Samsung (SSNLF.PK)

What are some additional reasons on why this makes sense for MSFT? Mainly most corporate enterprise e-mails servers run MSFT Exchange server, and BBRY has proven tied-in management with its BES.

BBRY furthermore is MSFT's main competitor in the automotive industry for HUD and media management in the vehicle, so MSFT now starts to leverage a potential pseudo monopoly in that sector as well.

A move to purchase BBRY quickly puts MSFT back in a mobile market, and allows them to be on the forefront of mobile computing and where it is going. After all most MSFT shareholders were known to complain about how MSFT has not been doing much, and this would be some decisive action to create value for shareholders.

Lastly MSFT has a decent ecosystem and the synergies are natural on the enterprise stage where BBRY is still strong. This is not so far fetched as a concept as MSFT is rumored to be "eyeing" BBRY.

Additional disclosure: Long BBRY Calls
    BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY): Why Microsoft Should Buy BlackBerry Post Nokia And Rule The Galaxy As Father And Son - Seeking Alpha
    lcjr, rarsen, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    09-05-13 03:51 PM
    I'm pleased with the gains on the day. I'm still WAY too red at the moment. Tis
    one he!! of an exercise in patience and doing nothing with the stock ATM.
    09-05-13 04:04 PM
    09-05-13 04:05 PM
    Walkley cut estimates for BlackBerry (BBRY) for this year to 24 million units sold from a prior 26.7 million, and cut estimates for 2015 to 20.7 million units form 22.7 million, to reflect what his “checks” suggest continue to be “very soft” sales of the BB10-based Z10, Q10, and Q5 released this year:

Our US August wireless store surveys indicate continued very soft Z10 and Q10 sales at Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile. Many store representatives we spoke with indicated minimal interest in and sales of the Q10. Given BlackBerry’s installed base of QWERTY handset users, it is surprising how weak sales are for the Q10. In fact, the overall lack of consumer interest in the Q10 appears to have considerably weakened over the past few weeks. In addition, our US surveys indicated minimal consumer interest in and sales of the Z10 smartphone. Further our global surveys indicated weak sales of the more affordable Q5 smartphone and rapidly declining legacy BB7 sales post the BB10 launch and BlackBerry’s announcement to support BBM on competing smartphone platforms. In fact, now that Android and iOS will support BBM, we anticipate a sharp decline in BB7 consumer sales, particularly in emerging markets, as consumers upgrade older BB7 devices to affordable Android smartphones with their BBM networks intact […] Further, our conversations with global distributors indicate high BlackBerry channel inventory levels despite sharp recent ASP declines in the channel for BB10 smartphones. Due to high channel inventory levels combined with very soft sell-through trends, we are lowering our F2014 BlackBerry smartphone sell-in estimates from 26.7M units to 24.1M units and our F2015 estimates from 22.7M to 20.7M units. Please see our separate BlackBerry report published today titled “Updating estimates due to soft BB7 and BB10 smartphone sales and high channel inventory levels” for further details on our BlackBerry thesis. We maintain our SELL rating and $8 price target.
    Samsung, Nokia Made August Smartphone Gains, Says Canaccord; BBRY Sales ‘Soft’ - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

The ER may be a bloodbath.
    rodan01 likes this.
    09-05-13 04:18 PM
    La Emperor, bungaboy, lcjr and 7 others like this.
    09-05-13 04:20 PM
    Microsoft is trying to be both Apple and Google. They wanna do it all and it can be questioned if they can do that in the end. Acquisitions seems to be their strategy to get there it seems.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    09-05-13 04:27 PM
    Heins is going to burn the company down and claim the insurance?
    09-05-13 04:28 PM
    Thanks for the update, soft sales this quarter who knew? First you were here on some bizarro statcounter mission to save the members of this thread, now you've taken to linking negative news that's hours or days old that we've all seen already? Please go post at WP central or something....

Walkley cut estimates for BlackBerry (BBRY) for this year to 24 million units sold from a prior 26.7 million, and cut estimates for 2015 to 20.7 million units form 22.7 million, to reflect what his “checks” suggest continue to be “very soft” sales of the BB10-based Z10, Q10, and Q5 released this year:

Samsung, Nokia Made August Smartphone Gains, Says Canaccord; BBRY Sales ‘Soft’ - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

09-05-13 04:32 PM
113,250 ... 18541855185618571858 ...