View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Then why the interest in posting on this thread when you don't have a stake? Whats the motivation?
    With reluctance because it is off topic, I will answer this one time since the question keeps popping up. I answer for myself only, and not attempting to speak for others.

I have a keen interest in following business, finance, and economics stories. I love reading books like Barbarians at the Gate, Too Big To Fail, The Smartest Guys In The Room, When Genius Failed, etc. These books sit alongside my bookshelf with Jim Collins, Jack Welch, Drucker, etc.

Now when I am reading a book like Barbarians at the Gate, I am fascinated by the personal stories in them just as much as the business stories. The research to get insider and personal views are what makes the good authors stand out from the ones who just regurgitate the stories from the newswire and package them up in a book. I wonder, what went on in peoples heads as the dramatic business story was unfolding? This is where internet forums have changed the game. There was no way to get a peek at what other people were thinking in the time of RJR Nabisco or even LTCM. But today, with sites like CrackBerry, with Twitter, and seeing comments on blogs, you can! In addition to peeking, you can also ask people "what were you thinking?" That, friends, is my reason for following and posting on this thread. It's fascinating!
    09-04-13 07:30 AM
    News from the world of entertainment....

Alison Pill Blames Her Blackberry For Tweeting Her Topless Pic

Alison Pill Blames Her Blackberry For Tweeting Her Topless Pic

Yep. That picture happened. Ugh. My tech issues have now reached new heights, apparently. How a deletion turned into a tweet... Apologies.
    Real blonde ... [just joking]
    09-04-13 08:03 AM
    With reluctance because it is off topic, I will answer this one time since the question keeps popping up. I answer for myself only, and not attempting to speak for others.

I have a keen interest in following business, finance, and economics stories. I love reading books like Barbarians at the Gate, Too Big To Fail, The Smartest Guys In The Room, When Genius Failed, etc. These books sit alongside my bookshelf with Jim Collins, Jack Welch, Drucker, etc.

Now when I am reading a book like Barbarians at the Gate, I am fascinated by the personal stories in them just as much as the business stories. The research to get insider and personal views are what makes the good authors stand out from the ones who just regurgitate the stories from the newswire and package them up in a book. I wonder, what went on in peoples heads as the dramatic business story was unfolding? This is where internet forums have changed the game. There was no way to get a peek at what other people were thinking in the time of RJR Nabisco or even LTCM. But today, with sites like CrackBerry, with Twitter, and seeing comments on blogs, you can! In addition to peeking, you can also ask people "what were you thinking?" That, friends, is my reason for following and posting on this thread. It's fascinating!
    Ok, I can appreciate that... but can you not see how this "what were you thinking?" jibe reeks of condescension? We are not lab rats for your fascination, here. It's one thing to lurk and peek for curiosity sake, but as soon as you start instigating a contrarian type of discourse on an obviously biased thread, and continue to pound your beliefs, you are essentially wasting our time by not adhering to the spirit in which this thread was started.

Members have every reason to have their troll meters go off.
    09-04-13 08:12 AM
    JLagoon and team!

Your question was as follows:
    "Hi Morgan; you draw a descending triangle on the daily chart. The August 28 candle with volume makes me think of it as a bottoming action, which becomes the first point of a pennant, accompanied with the narrowing range of the other indicators on the hourly chart. Although it is probably too early to tell, what do you think of the validity of this pennant? Thank you."

Here's is the updated chart including both the 50-ema and the 50-dma:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-sept-4-2013-chart.jpg

As you can see, it's been a very long time since we have closed above a 50-dma indicator. I believe this is a pennant which is resolving to the upside. Your charts are suggesting the same thing. We now have great support in the low $ 10.00's and are ready to start another large climb from here. Yesterdays' news regarding Nokia is bullish for BBRY, the hardware valuation is worth noting as so many have said that hardware is a liability for BBRY, turns out it is a valuable asset to others. Then there is the licensing agreement for their patents, Samsung is $ 2.5 billion away from picking up some protection against Apple here. Thanks for posting your daily charts, much appreciated.
    09-04-13 08:12 AM

But since "you" (quotes because I don't know witch "you" I'm talking to ) gain experience and use "us" (again, not sure who "us" is) in a pedagogic angle, you might embrace a relative discreet position. If you enjoy social talking or digging in people brains, there's a section on CrackBerry forums that might host a full topic about it. There, you could even animate and lead the discussion in whatever subject you're interested in, in one or several threads of your own.

But we're in the BBRY sub-section here and I must say it's pretty ennoying to discuss the hows and the whys of any sentence we write. Especially when it's not related to the topic but more likely an attempt to push the limits of your "comprehension" exercise and (maybe ?) enjoy some of ours exasperation. I'm afraid some (because this is an answer "you" wrote but I believe it applies to many) contributors here have forgotten what a public discussion is and tend to steal attention to their own [whatever].

Take us as lab rats, no problem. But it's irrelevant to poison the water we drink. In fact, in a pedagogic angle, you just ruin your experience because you're not an observer, you insert parasitic behaviors that would ruin any decent reseach.

That said, everybody is welcome to post. So are you.
    09-04-13 08:22 AM
    M+8. Are you suggesting Samsung is a potential licensee of BlackBerry's patents?
    09-04-13 08:24 AM
    M+8. Are you suggesting Samsung is a potential licensee of BlackBerry's patents?
    Sorry to dive in ... but my answer is : "no, MSFT wont let them do that".
    P.s: How do I know ? I don't know, I believe.
    sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    09-04-13 08:29 AM
    Sooooo..... after hours and off topic. I hold a simple little small cap stock ZMS and am wondering what the likes of Jlagoon and Morgan think of it. From what I see, it could be over bought for a while but news is pending and could push it back down. The great thing is, is that the news can only take it down marginally based on the recent events and deals but I'm wondering what the upside is, and the down. My own opinion, based on no news, is a low of 60 but a high of 74 come weeks end.. (these are cents, not dollars).

EDIT - Oh... and I personally, so don't take this a gospel or advice, see this in doubled or tripled within weeks to a month.. and a bit.
    CJ!!

Here is the chart for ZMS-Vanc:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-zms-vanc-sept-4-2013.jpg

I know this is off topic but it does work as a tutorial on TA so here goes. This is a penny stock, yet it follows a trend. It based out in the low .30's/shr and suddenly shot up on some refinancing news. Since then, they have been able to raise money on several occasions ($ 1.0 - $ 2.0 million whenever they need it) and keep their business going. I can't say anything about their products, I just don't know enough right now to comment on that and for me this is very important. As for the charts, the stock has doubled, is resting now and working off an RSI = 80 plus in the past few weeks, doing this while actually climbing slightly. It now has another RSI top to work off over time so watch that green uptrend line that started back in April of this year. A break in that line is your first indicator that the stock is topping out. You would be a buyer around the low $ .60's and watching the volume to see if they are distributing those new shares over time.

One more thing, if you go back to the beginning of 2012, you will see that not only has the stock price moved to new highs, it has also formed a cup and handle formation along the way suggesting it could go much higher from here. This is the formation that some are saying BBRY is forming right now. Support has been the 50-dma for months now. Good luck!
    09-04-13 08:30 AM
    Not fan boy,

I call bull. That is the worst explanation I have ever heard. Story does not gel.

Anyway this thread is about BBRY, not about people's psychologies.

If you are here to observe, observe, if you are here to contribute, contribute but stay on topic.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-13 08:34 AM
    But since "you" (quotes because I don't know witch "you" I'm talking to ) gain experience and use "us" (again, not sure who "us" is) in a pedagogic angle, you might embrace a relative discreet position. If you enjoy social talking or digging in people brains, there's a section on CrackBerry forums that might host a full topic about it. There, you could even animate and lead the discussion in whatever subject you're interested in, in one or several threads of your own.

But we're in the BBRY sub-section here and I must say it's pretty ennoying to discuss the hows and the whys of any sentence we write. Especially when it's not related to the topic but more likely an attempt to push the limits of your "comprehension" exercise and (maybe ?) enjoy some of ours exasperation. I'm afraid some (because this is an answer "you" wrote but I believe it applies to many) contributors here have forgotten what a public discussion is and tend to steal attention to their own [whatever].

Take us as lab rats, no problem. But it's irrelevant to poison the water we drink. In fact, in a pedagogic angle, you just ruin your experience because you're not an observer, you insert parasitic behaviors that would ruin any decent reseach.

That said, everybody is welcome to post. So are you.
    "pedagogic angle" I like that.
    09-04-13 08:40 AM
    Sorry if already quoted, but here's Bla1ze about MSFT and BB.
    Please return due justice to the writer and react on the blog: Microsoft

Arriving shortly after the news of Microsoft buying Nokia's phone and services business, Bloomberg is now reporting that Microsoft may be after a bit more in the mobile world by way of BlackBerry. No doubt many folks have pondered this option before but according to the report and the usual people familiar with the matter, Microsoft is 'keeping an eye on BlackBerry Ltd."
    Words we've also heard from the Canadian Government concerning BlackBerry but this comes in a different form as Microsoft would likely be looking to acquire the company or at the very least some of its assets. Back in August, BlackBerry put together their special committee to look for and explore strategic alternatives, including possible sale of the company.
    Microsoft has always been one of those companies in the background so it kind of makes sense that they'd be keeping an eye on BlackBerry, though we prefer to say keeping their 'thumbs' on. A bit silly to think they'd be ignoring the situation really as there is quite a bit of BlackBerry that Microsoft could use, especially in the Enterprise space but for now we'll have to wait and see if anything comes out of it.

Source: Bloomberg
    But you can fire your comments here too.
    SF, singin' mentally the Clash's "I fought the law" with a slightly different end.
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    09-04-13 08:40 AM
    Thanks Morgan. I got in at 0.58 a few weeks ago. The catalyst was a partnership and now the wait is on for the results of a patent hearing. Also, they are doing work for the revival of CERN. Really quite an interesting story here.

Sorry for the OT posts.... now stay tuned for your regular scheduled programming
    09-04-13 08:48 AM
    Microsoft wanted to crush QNX back in the 90s but couldn't compete in the same marketplace.

I wonder how much that mentality has changed?

QNX: When an OS Really, Really Has to Work - Slashdot
    bungaboy, sidhuk and morganplus8 like this.
    09-04-13 08:49 AM
    Goooooooooood morning CrackBerrians !

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.jpg
    Tut! I'm in the wrong movie
    09-04-13 08:51 AM
    Both Sony and Samsung with events today. We'll see what Sony announces and what Samsung throws at the Note 3.
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    09-04-13 08:52 AM
    [QUOTE=greyw0lf01;9114777]

Morgan,

I was trying to dial back our skirmishes, not inflame it.

When you came to the board you bragged about your credentials, and slagged me five times without me ever communicating/confronting you. We had never had words together, you were just plain rude and ignorant to those who had just lost a pile of money. You claimed the stock could "only go down" from there and insulted many along the way. I had never talked to you at that point so we didn't have a "difference of opinion or skirmish" as it takes two people communicating with each other to accomplish that task.

Just because you realized that being rude to the board wasn't working for you, now it doesn't matter that you tried to change your personality and be a nicer person. I could care less what you have to say. I will tell you that I do get plenty of private emails from others and none of them appreciate the way you insult the spirit of the thread. Try being a little more helpful to others and contribute something worthwhile to the board and see how that works for you.
    09-04-13 08:54 AM
    NOT MICROSOFT!..... THEY WILL RUIN EVERYTHING!

They will sully QNX with a bunch of unnecessary code. They will erase the BlackBerry name. They will dial down the security to minimally acceptable levels. They will shut down BBM.

I just see them as being big and clumsy. We need wise and delicate.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-04-13 08:56 AM
    Good morning gang! I see there's still no confirmed news so we'll just hang on and see what happens. lol. One positive is we're heading towards the ER in a few weeks so if we haven't heard anything by then we'll definately get some news then. I'm looking forward to it! I hope everyone has a great day and try to get outside for some fresh air, it works wonders.
    09-04-13 09:00 AM
    NOT MICROSOFT!..... THEY WILL RUIN EVERYTHING!

They will sully QNX with a bunch of unnecessary code. They will erase the BlackBerry name. They will dial down the security to minimally acceptable levels. They will shut down BBM.
    MSFT will NOT buy. MSFT will join, rent, share, license ... whatever. But buy ? no.
    'sayitagain'
    09-04-13 09:04 AM
    'sayitagain'
    MSFT win NOT buy. MSFT will join, rent, share, licence...

Posted via CB10
    09-04-13 09:06 AM
    This isn't insider trading. We happen to believe in a company, or a product, or a technology, or whatever, so we invested. But it's never a sure thing.

Anyone who comes here looking for stock advice expecting wizards who can predict the future and is willing to risk their family's savings (and security) deserves a rude awakening.

And anyone who throws any aspersions towards Morgan after all the work he's done in this thread deserves to have their teeth kicked in.

Not that I'm going to kick anyone's teeth in... just karmically speaking.
    cjcampbell, sidhuk, rarsen and 7 others like this.
    09-04-13 09:08 AM
    You bet cha! I don't get why they would rather confront Apple all over the world, the legal costs and time wasted is huge. BlackBerry has one of the best patent portfolios in the mobile world; you can argue they have the best. For the cost of going to court and losing a couple of judgments to Apple alone, they could be first mover on the next generation of security. It is stunning to me that they haven't made some kind of a deal with BlackBerry, perhaps the price is high as BB has a lock on next generation security but in this world of big corporations hoarding plenty of cash, there isn't a better investment on the planet then BlackBerry patents.
    09-04-13 09:12 AM
    You bet cha! I don't get why they would rather confront Apple all over the world, the legal costs and time wasted is huge. BlackBerry has one of the best patent portfolios in the mobile world; you can argue they have the best. For the cost of going to court and losing a couple of judgments to Apple alone, they could be first mover on the next generation of security. It is stunning to me that they haven't made some kind of a deal with BlackBerry, perhaps the price is high as BB has a lock on next generation security but in this world of big corporations hoarding plenty of cash, there isn't a better investment on the planet then BlackBerry patents.
    I guess the next question would be why BlackBerry would license their patents to Samsung? BlackBerry does not need the cash but maybe for a strategic relationship.
    09-04-13 09:21 AM
    This isn't insider trading. We happen to believe in a company, or a product, or a technology, or whatever, so we invested. But it's never a sure thing.

Anyone who comes here looking for stock advice expecting wizards who can predict the future and is willing to risk their family's savings (and security) deserves a rude awakening.

And anyone who throws any aspersions towards Morgan after all the work he's done in this thread deserves to have their teeth kicked in.

Not that I'm going to kick anyone's teeth in... just karmically speaking.
    That's very kind of you to say that brother but I can name dozens of members here who deliver outstanding work every day. I appreciate being part of the board discussion. I know there are many here, like you, that I could "like" their messages without having read them. I don't measure success by the number of "likes" and "thanks" I get, it's the number of those two items I give out that matters to me. The day I stop giving out praise where it is due is the day the thread is dead to me. I feel others appreciate good conversation the same way. We have some here who want to bash this thread, bash the company and belittle those who support BlackBerry. It comes with the territory, they have little else to do with their lives.

The focus should be on BB 10.2 and BBM-X as Superfly points out on so many occasions. I personally don't care what the stock price is doing, I only care about how management is delivering on products. We all get it, BlackBerry will never be able to out innovate Apple, heck they are dropping a bomb on us in a few days, a new phone just like their old phones BUT IN COLOURS!! How will we compete ................
    09-04-13 09:21 AM
    I guess the next question would be why BlackBerry would license their patents to Samsung? BlackBerry does not need the cash but maybe for a strategic relationship.
    Suppose a deal could be reached for $ 4 billion over 10 years, amortised at $ 400 million per year, they would pay that much out in fees, services and lost revenue due to products being blocked in several nations. This is chump change after tax. The next deal is security for their products and a second choice for an OS. BlackBerry could have their hardware manufactured via Samsung and the two could work together to take business away from Apple. This is why I can't purchase Apple stock.
    09-04-13 09:27 AM
113,256 ... 18351836183718381839 ...