View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Second probably sets a ceiling for what BBRY is worth and if the market continues to punish MSFT as it is in pre-market (not reliable) then any potential BBRY suitor will have to think twice about it.
    My thinking, too. $5B for devices, and $2B for patents, given Nokia's vaunted supply-chain, hardware chops, and history as a leader, seems very, very low. Can a potential buyer/partner for BBRY honestly value their Devices business or patents higher? Their current market-cap is slightly over $5B; I'm afraid the Nokia deal is going to limier in a big way any upside for BBRY stock even in the case of a takeover.

That could be a gift in disguise, though. If "buyout" is off the table as a means to radically improving shareholder value, BBRY's board might have to get creative. I know people like to bring up (and shoot down) the comparison to Apple's dark days... But one thing is clear, Apple's turnaround did not happen because they sat around waiting for someone to buy them for parts... they went on the offensive, bought NeXT, bought (back) creative leadership, opened new markets, and generally thought outside the box.

We'll see...
    09-03-13 09:30 AM
    BofA commentary:

Sept. 3 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft’s intent to buy Nokia’s handset unit is “mostly negative” for BlackBerry, even though the premium MSFT is willing to pay may be perceived as a positive, BofAML says.

• Says a potential acquisition of BBRY is not similar to MSFT/NOK and Google/Motorola deals, which were based on existing ecosystems believing hardware acquisition would strengthen them.
    • Also notes MSFT/Nokia deal removes two potential candidates from “a very short list” of prospective BBRY acquirers.
    • Only potential BBRY buyers may be Asian pure handset makers though most of these are too small to make a deal, BofAML says.
    09-03-13 09:50 AM
    BofA commentary:

Sept. 3 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft’s intent to buy Nokia’s handset unit is “mostly negative” for BlackBerry, even though the premium MSFT is willing to pay may be perceived as a positive, BofAML says.

• Says a potential acquisition of BBRY is not similar to MSFT/NOK and Google/Motorola deals, which were based on existing ecosystems believing hardware acquisition would strengthen them.
    • Also notes MSFT/Nokia deal removes two potential candidates from “a very short list” of prospective BBRY acquirers.
    • Only potential BBRY buyers may be Asian pure handset makers though most of these are too small to make a deal, BofAML says.
    What I hate about commentary like this is that they are painting a picture that the only option BB has is an all out purchase. This is only one of a few options listed yet the only one that seems to be looked at. The media sure likes to grab onto one scenario and run with it as far as they can.
    Last edited by cjcampbell; 09-03-13 at 10:14 AM.
    09-03-13 09:55 AM
    Microsoft, desperately losing the battle for 3rd place in the smartphone race, is forced to buy Nokia. Nokia will be like a sea anchor to Microsoft, slowly dragging it down as they pump more money into it to keep it afloat. Apple, Google/Samsung, and Blackberry will continue to dominate the industry as viable players while Microsoft founders. 18 to 24 months from now Microsoft pulls out of the mobile market all together to focus on their core business.
    09-03-13 10:00 AM
    Steve Ballmer's letter to MS staff on Nokia purchase.

" To: MS FTEs

Date: Sep. 2, 8:00 PM PDT (Sep. 3, 6:00 AM EET)

Subject: Accelerating Growth

We announced some exciting news today: We have entered into an agreement to purchase Nokia�s Devices & Services business, which includes their smartphone and mobile phone businesses, their award-winning design team, manufacturing and assembly facilities around the world, and teams devoted to operations, sales, marketing and support.

For Microsoft, this is a bold step into the future and the next big phase of the transformation we announced on July 11.

We are very excited about the proposal to bring the best mobile device efforts of Microsoft and Nokia together. Our Windows Phone partnership over the past two and half years has yielded incredible work � the stunning Lumia 1020 is a great example. Our partnership has also yielded incredible growth. In fact, Nokia Windows Phones are the fastest-growing phones in the smartphone market.

Now is the time to build on this momentum and accelerate our share and profits in phones. Clearly, greater success with phones will strengthen the overall opportunity for us and our partners to deliver on our strategy to create a family of devices and services for individuals and businesses that empower people around the globe at home, at work and on the go, for the activities they value most.

We have laid out Microsoft�s strategic rationale for this transaction in a presentation that I encourage you to read.

This is a smart acquisition for Microsoft, and a good deal for both companies. We are receiving incredible talent, technology and IP. We�ve all seen the amazing work that Nokia and Microsoft have done together.

Given our long partnership with Nokia and the many key Nokia leaders that are joining Microsoft, we expect a smooth transition and great execution.

As is always the case with an acquisition, the first priority is to keep driving through close, which we expect in the first quarter of 2014, following approval by Nokia�s shareholders, regulatory approvals, and other closing conditions.

But I also know people will have some questions about what happens post-close. While details aren�t final, here is what we know, and how we�re generally approaching integration:

1. Stephen Elop will be coming back to Microsoft, and he will lead an expanded Devices team, which includes all of our current Devices and Studios work and most of the teams coming over from Nokia, reporting to me.

2. Julie Larson-Green will continue to run the Devices and Studios team, and will be focused on the big launches this fall including Xbox One and our Surface enhancements. Julie will be joining Stephen�s team once the acquisition closes, and will work with him to shape the new organization.

3. As part of the acquisition, a number of key engineering leaders will be joining Microsoft from Nokia, reporting to Stephen in his new capacity:
    * Jo Harlow, who will continue to lead the Smart Devices team
    * Timo Toikkanen, who will continue to lead the Mobile Phones team
    * Stefan Pannenbecker, who will lead Design
    * Juha Putkiranta, who will lead the integration effort on Nokia�s behalf

4. Regarding the sales team, we plan to keep the Nokia field team, led by Chris Weber, intact and as the nexus of the devices sales effort, so that we can continue to build sales momentum. After the deal closes, Chris and his team will be placed under Kevin Turner. We will develop a single integrated team that is selling to operators, and there may be other integration opportunities that we can pursue. Kevin will work with Chris Weber and Chris Capossela to make those plans.

5. Our operating system team under Terry Myerson will continue unchanged, with a mission of supporting both first-party and third-party hardware innovation. We are committed to working with partners, helping them build great products and great businesses on our platform, and we believe this deal will increase our partner value proposition over time. The established rhythms and ways of working between Terry and his team and the incoming Nokia team will serve us well to ensure that we do not disrupt our building momentum.

6. We are planning to integrate all global marketing under Tami Reller and Mark Penn. It is very important that we pursue a unified brand and advertising strategy as soon as possible.

7. Finance, Legal, HR, Communications, DX / Evangelism, Customer Care and Business Development will integrate functionally at Microsoft. Sourcing, customer logistics and supply chain will be part of Stephen�s Devices organization. ICM / IT will also integrate functionally for traditional IT roles. We will need to work through the implications for factory systems given the differing manufacturing processes and systems at both Nokia and Microsoft.

8. We plan to pursue a single set of supporting services for our devices, and we will figure out how to combine the great Nokia efforts into our Microsoft services as we go through the integration process.

9. There are no significant plans to shift where work is done in the world as we integrate, so we expect the Nokia teams to stay largely in place, geographically.

10. Tom Gibbons will lead the integration work for Microsoft. While today�s announcement is big news, we have to stay heavily focused on running the current business. We have a huge fall and holiday season ahead of us, so we need to execute flawlessly and continue to drive our business forward. I have no doubt we will.

Steve"
    09-03-13 10:01 AM
    Microsoft, desperately losing the battle for 3rd place in the smartphone race, is forced to buy Nokia.
    That is an odd way to say 'bbry wins strategical important last place'.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
    Bugmapper likes this.
    09-03-13 10:19 AM
    What I hate about commentary like this is that they are painting a picture that the only option BB has is an all out purchase. This is only one of a few options listed yet the only one that seems to be looked at. The media sure likes to grab onto one scenario and run with it as far as they can.
    I agree, didn't the MSFT and NOK start as some sort of JV or at least with NOK adopting Windows?

Problem is the music is slowing down and we are running out of attractive dance partners. In my old days that meant MORE BEER, but I don't think that will work for BBRY.
    09-03-13 10:23 AM
    Sure.
    Just that I don't think it's happening today.
    guess it takes Assad to unite Boehner and Pelosi, so...we will see what that does to the markets
    09-03-13 10:40 AM
    Allright, you still have a bunch of pages before the end of the day, to repaint the MSFT/NOK story any color you want.

Mine is white : this is happening ... but has no real effect regarding BBRY.
    MSFT is not buying BlackBerry because they never considered it, not because they're buying NOK. Because BlackBerry has value it's better to RENT and resale instead of buying it and rebrand appart.
    BlackBerry is a whole. Wording matters. Ex: "Bottom up security" is an important wording.

Even if my scandalous MS/BB partnership idea is false, you have 200% more chance for BB to go Private than being bought as a whole.

BBRY is not for sale.
    I repeat .
    BlackBerry is not for sale.
    Alpha Papa Tango Charlie, do you read me ?
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-capture.png  
    09-03-13 10:44 AM
    Let's look at how BBRY has been trading:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-sept-3-2013-chart.jpg

Looking at this chart, we have the short term 5-ema cutting up through the 50-dma for the first time since July/2013. We have tried for months to get above the 50-dma and today we have cleared it so the trend is turning bullish here. This is also the first time a short term indicator has turned above the 50-dma as well. So the stock is ready to rally again after building a base in the low $ 10.00 area. Abigail is looking for a test of the 52 week highs and so am I. We have a higher low versus this time last year, we have a higher low versus the recent pull back and we have plenty of news just around the corner. Look for resistance at $ 10.61/shr which is the 50-ema, we haven't been able to clear that indicator in some time and we are about to try it on again.

Today's news of Nokia finally agreeing to a deal with MSFT (rumoured for over a month) sets the stage for a more positive look at BlackBerry. You only have to look at the patent deal to know that BlackBerry has a tremendous asset there, they licensed those patents (didn't acquire them) for the value analysts are giving to an outright sale of BB patents. How dumb is that? Secondly, MSFT will be purchasing a losing hardware business that they'll need to pump billions into (hence the drop in MSFT stock today) just to keep it afloat. And we were told by those same analysts that BlackBerry hardware is worthless. It appears they were grossly mistaken on that call too. MSFT has little history of making decent business transactions, Ballmer commented that this was a small purchase for them and they know they will be sinking billions into this lost leader.

BlackBerry has an opportunity to demonstrate how their assets compare to this acquisition cost. Licensing of patents to others, $ 2.5 billion, hardware, my estimate is $ 2.5 billion, the balance of the business $ 5 billion plus cash. No one will be purchasing BBRY for less than a 52 week high, I believe it will go out above $ 20.00/shr if that ever happens. More than likely, partnerships and new products are the theme of the day. Anyone wanting to get into the mobile theatre will have to do business with BlackBerry soon.

Ha! Ha! You have to laugh at the reaction we got from those perennial shorts on this news! So have a good laugh at some of the negative comments that will flow out of this news while we wait for a BBM-X launch and BB 10.2!!
    09-03-13 10:45 AM
    Marketshare trend is supported in August...
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-new-1.jpg
    09-03-13 10:48 AM
    The real reason why MSFT bought NOK.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-btpmlypcyaa6_zc.jpg
    09-03-13 10:49 AM
    That is an odd way to say 'bbry wins strategical important last place'.
    Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
    The only place they have to keep and strengthen (and I wonder why there's no comment about it) is #1 ... for enterprises.
    09-03-13 10:52 AM
    Thanks Morgan! We're back on track and looking forward.
    09-03-13 10:54 AM
    MSFT has lost over $13.5B of market cap as I type this. $1.63 per share with 8.3B shares outstanding. NOK gained $6.1B as of now. You have to look at # of shares too, not just stock price. Also, this is an asset sale, not a stock deal as I understand it. Pre-market is hard to pin down and very erratic. At these prices all we can infer is that the market thinks MSFT overpaid by a very large margin and that NOK got a premium for what they sold. Pre-Market will likely change so we will need to see where we are at noon and again at the end of the day.
    Weird that both MSFT and NOK keep drifting since the morning, looks like market doesn't like this deal.
    Also I don't understand why NOC can quietly sell, and BB has to announce it's "strategic option" way in advance, hurting it's sales and perception?
    09-03-13 10:55 AM
    Marketshare trend is supported in August...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-1.jpg 
Views:	794 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	198205
    Thanks ! Is this worldwide or U.S ?
    P.S: thx M+8, button is gone
    bungaboy and morganplus8 like this.
    09-03-13 10:55 AM
    Weird that both MSFT and NOK keep drifting since the morning, looks like market doesn't like this deal.
    Also I don't understand why NOC can quietly sell, and BB has to announce it's "strategic option" way in advance, hurting it's sales and perception?
    BB had no choice. Reuters leaked it, BB had to confirm it. This is a case of "Loose lips, sink ships". What people don't realize (and all of this can be realized with a little bit of digging) is the BB strategic committee was formed a long time ago (Months and Months....likely up to one year ago and potentially it was formed right after the departure of Mike and Jim).

Poblem is the Media has thrown a for sale sign on BB ..... nice of them to make assumptions
    09-03-13 10:59 AM
    Thanks ! Is this worldwide or U.S ?
    P.S: thx M+8, button is gone
    Worldwide, since I do not have a subscription I cannot drill down to regional data

The Net Market Share data is weighted by country. We compare our traffic to the CIA Internet Traffic by Country table, and weight our data accordingly. For example, if our global data shows that Brazil represents 2% of our traffic, and the CIA table shows Brazil to represent 4% of global Internet traffic, we will count each unique visitor from Brazil twice. This is done to balance out our global data. All regions have differing markets, and if our traffic were concentrated in one or more regions, our global data would be inappropriately affected by those regions. Country level weighting removes any bias by region.
    09-03-13 11:02 AM
    And.... the other source of web traffic...

Attachment 198209
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-03-13 11:05 AM
    And.... the other source of web traffic...

Attachment 198209
    .....is at the gym????
    09-03-13 11:06 AM
    Sprint commercial shows off the BlackBerry Q10 | CrackBerry.com
    Please give Q10 a few minutes of attention (and applause), courtesy to Sprint.
    09-03-13 11:11 AM
    Let's look at how BBRY has been trading:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBRY Sept 3 2013 Chart.jpg 
Views:	879 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	198200

Looking at this chart, we have the short term 5-ema cutting up through the 50-dma for the first time since July/2013. We have tried for months to get above the 50-dma and today we have cleared it so the trend is turning bullish here. This is also the first time a short term indicator has turned above the 50-dma as well. So the stock is ready to rally again after building a base in the low $ 10.00 area. Abigail is looking for a test of the 52 week highs and so am I. We have a higher low versus this time last year, we have a higher low versus the recent pull back and we have plenty of news just around the corner. Look for resistance at $ 10.61/shr which is the 50-ema, we haven't been able to clear that indicator in some time and we are about to try it on again.

Today's news of Nokia finally agreeing to a deal with MSFT (rumoured for over a month) sets the stage for a more positive look at BlackBerry. You only have to look at the patent deal to know that BlackBerry has a tremendous asset there, they licensed those patents (didn't acquire them) for the value analysts are giving to an outright sale of BB patents. How dumb is that? Secondly, MSFT will be purchasing a losing hardware business that they'll need to pump billions into (hence the drop in MSFT stock today) just to keep it afloat. And we were told by those same analysts that BlackBerry hardware is worthless. It appears they were grossly mistaken on that call too. MSFT has little history of making decent business transactions, Ballmer commented that this was a small purchase for them and they know they will be sinking billions into this lost leader.

BlackBerry has an opportunity to demonstrate how their assets compare to this acquisition cost. Licensing of patents to others, $ 2.5 billion, hardware, my estimate is $ 2.5 billion, the balance of the business $ 5 billion plus cash. No one will be purchasing BBRY for less than a 52 week high, I believe it will go out above $ 20.00/shr if that ever happens. More than likely, partnerships and new products are the theme of the day. Anyone wanting to get into the mobile theatre will have to do business with BlackBerry soon.

Ha! Ha! You have to laugh at the reaction we got from those perennial shorts on this news! So have a good laugh at some of the negative comments that will flow out of this news while we wait for a BBM-X launch and BB 10.2!!
    Dammit Morgan, I only get 12 thankyous in 24 hours.
    09-03-13 11:12 AM
    .....is at the gym????
    LoL,
    Leaving in 20mins.
    Decided to leave our friend alone, cause she is been working over time and also expanded her horizon beyond gsstatcounter. Only way to get ahead in life is to keep the ladies happy.
    09-03-13 11:20 AM
    Alright, I link before I read ... Xanax anyone ? (edited): it's ok
    What Microsoft buying Nokia means for BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com
    m0de25 likes this.
    09-03-13 11:33 AM

BREAKING NEWS
    Microsoft to Buy Nokia's Devices & Services Business

BBRY should Drop Big on the News... MSFT was seen as one of the most serious buyer....

Microsoft (MSFT) Acquires Nokia's (NOK) Devices & Services Business

Note: Walked by a carrier at the mall the other day and they had a booth set-up for Blackberry. I haven't seen that before.

BB stats on FB: 29,130,604 likes � 435,938 talking about this

Funny, Blackberry actually posted this video on to their fan page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...GAc1zOhBg#t=23

Thoughts: I hope for some big news before ER... The following would do:

-Morgan Stanley announces a large BES10 upgrade
    -Partnership/Licensing deal
    -Privatization
    -Strong marketing campaign in regards to XBBM (supported by Apple and/or Samsung)

What worries me is another large sell off before the next ER. The week before I will see where BB stands and decide whether or not to sell and buy back... But I don't think I will see the SP hit 14ish until then... [/LIST]
    Last edited by Kid Vibe; 09-03-13 at 12:03 PM.
    09-03-13 11:39 AM
113,251 ... 18291830183118321833 ...