View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Nokia handset sale hammers hedge funds | Reuters
    (Reuters) - Hedge funds betting that the collapse in Finnish telecom group Nokia's share price would continue got a rude surprise on Tuesday, and their rush to unwind their bets left the stock eyeing a record daily gain.
    and so the same thing may happen when BB sells a piece for a good price. the risks of being short here.
    09-03-13 08:14 AM
    As discussed before - this is not quite right, they are buying some patents (8,200 design patents) and licensing others (32,000 utility patents) - more overall, the deal seems to allow Microsoft to take advantage of patent usage deals that Nokia have made with other companies.
    Who gets the revenue from those prior deals? That is the question for me on that aspect of it. My bet is NOK retains most of the revenue.
    09-03-13 08:15 AM
    could be partly the reason for sure. They do have a float of 3.7 billion shares though so it's really only 5% of the shares.
    Some hedge funds are going to be hurting today:

Before the announcement nearly 12 per cent of Nokia’s stock was out on loan from long-term holders of the stock, which is an indication of the demand by hedge funds and others to borrow the stock to engage in a “short” trade.

Based on the number of shares being shorted and Tuesday’s jump in the price, the losses for hedge funds for the day could represent up to $843-million, according to Reuters calculations.

Microsoft deal squeezes Nokia short sellers - The Globe and Mail
    09-03-13 08:15 AM
    Call is currently discussing IP aspects.

http://www.media-server.com/m/p/fafu5i6s (link).
    09-03-13 08:19 AM
    I HATE this deal for the future of a BBRY buyout for several reasons. First, it takes MSFT out as a potential buyer, granted it was a low potential. Second probably sets a ceiling for what BBRY is worth and if the market continues to punish MSFT as it is in pre-market (not reliable) then any potential BBRY suitor will have to think twice about it. Third, I think the battle for the #3 position just became much harder for BBRY with MSFT "synergies" and capital and business connections.

On the plus side, it may up the ante for some other companies who feel the need to react to this and think BBRY will help. Come on Google, Lenovo, others, feel free to (over) pay up!!!!
    rarsen, Eumaeus, m0de25 and 2 others like this.
    09-03-13 08:21 AM
    BlackBerry up more than 3% in PM. What gives?
    There's just three weeks left until the quarterly earnings report. Three weeks remaining to buy on rumor, before the market starts selling on news.

It's going to be an interesting dynamic the next few weeks. On the one hand you have those who are gambling on some buyout or partnership announcement before the ER. As days pass without an announcement there will come a point where people start to realize that the rumors will not be realized in time for the ER. That is the point where people stop buying, and start selling. There's a lot of money to be made in guessing when that point will be reached.
    m0de25 likes this.
    09-03-13 08:23 AM
    Who gets the revenue from those prior deals? That is the question for me on that aspect of it. My bet is NOK retains most of the revenue.
    It's not Nokia's patents - it's that microsoft is now covered by Nokia's patent arrangements with other companies - such as Qualcomm - so it effectively makes their coverage more broad but without having to buy the actual patents.
    09-03-13 08:24 AM
    "Viking Global Investors LP, Maverick Capital LTD, Blue Ridge Capital LLC and Lone Pine Capital LLC also featured among Nokia’s biggest shortsellers."

Viking seemed familiar to me so I looked it up. Guess who is the #4 owner of BBRY:

Viking Global ...14.1M $148,142,644

Very interesting. They may be forced to sell some BBRY very soon.....
    09-03-13 08:26 AM
    There's just three weeks left until the quarterly earnings report. Three weeks remaining to buy on rumor, before the market starts selling on news.

It's going to be an interesting dynamic the next few weeks. On the one hand you have those who are gambling on some buyout or partnership announcement before the ER. As days pass without an announcement there will come a point where people start to realize that the rumors will not be realized in time for the ER. That is the point where people stop buying, and start selling. There's a lot of money to be made in guessing when that point will be reached.
    I think it might also be those who saw what happened in Nokia could happen to BB and buying a position at what is relatively low valuation. Probably fuel some spec buying on BB again. But like you said, buying the rumor and selling the news all the way until the ER comes out. Rollercoaster ride to start up again me thinks.
    09-03-13 08:27 AM
    It's not Nokia's patents - it's that microsoft is now covered by Nokia's patent arrangements with other companies - such as Qualcomm - so it effectively makes their coverage more broad but without having to buy the actual patents.
    Got it, I see what you are saying. I wonder if there were change of control provisions? Many of the license deals I have seen include them or have an approval or buyout clause too. I am sure MSFT knows what it is doing to maximize value.
    09-03-13 08:28 AM
    "Viking Global Investors LP, Maverick Capital LTD, Blue Ridge Capital LLC and Lone Pine Capital LLC also featured among Nokia’s biggest shortsellers."

Viking seemed familiar to me so I looked it up. Guess who is the #4 owner of BBRY:

very well could be but I wonder what their average short price is and if they were able to cover in PM. There have been almost 95 million shares traded already.
    09-03-13 08:29 AM
    Video removed. What was it?

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    try this :
    bungaboy, BergerKing, jxnb and 1 others like this.
    09-03-13 08:33 AM
    Good morning gang! Well, did I miss any news regarding Blackberry's immediate future?? I see we started out in the GREEN this morning so that's a plus! Hope everyone has a pleasant day today.
    09-03-13 08:38 AM
    Are you sure that's the reason?
    World economic situation seems to be recovering based on yesterday's report, I think that's a more likely reason.
    BBRY SP bump today is in line with the market (nothing special).
    Bugmapper and bungaboy like this.
    09-03-13 08:54 AM
    Greetings all,

Having read some interesting posts about reports on Statcounter over the week-end, I decided that I was not going to report that the last 7 days in the USA Now averaged 5.04%. Too bad people reading this thread won't know about it!

On A different topic though, what do you guys expect the number of people using BBM by Christmas? The current subscriber base which I think is around 65-70 millions, could grow substantially. If the amount of interest can be based on how many people downloaded the fake bbm version earlier this summer, we could very well see the user base grow to 200 millions by Christmas. What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 08:54 AM
    Greetings all,

Having read some interesting posts about reports on Statcounter over the week-end, I decided that I was not going to report that the last 7 days in the USA Now averaged 5.04%. Too bad people reading this thread won't know about it!

On A different topic though, what do you guys expect the number of people using BBM by Christmas? The current subscriber base which I think is around 65-70 millions, could grow substantially. If the amount of interest can be based on how many people downloaded the fake bbm version earlier this summer, we could very well see the user base grow to 200 millions by Christmas. What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    I going to guess by the end of the year bbm subscribers will be greater than the number of Whatsapps subscribers. Although I don't see a great acceleration in subscribers until bbm video becomes x-platform.
    fedakd likes this.
    09-03-13 09:10 AM
    Rumour has it Sept 12 as the launch date for BBM cross-platform.
    09-03-13 09:12 AM
    On the plus side, it may up the ante for some other companies who feel the need to react to this and think BBRY will help. Come on Google, Lenovo, others, feel free to (over) pay up!!!!
    I don't see Google being interested in a deal, they're already vertically integrated (& Motorola hardware has been a money loser & the patents haven't been as valuable); I could see them charging a small amount for the Android OS that's still not prohibitively expensive for each device sold.
    09-03-13 09:15 AM
    I don't see Google being interested in a deal, they're already vertically integrated (& Motorola hardware has been a money loser & the patents haven't been as valuable); I could see them charging a small amount for the Android OS that's still not prohibitively expensive for each device sold.
    I know ... but hope springs eternal....
    09-03-13 09:17 AM
    Are you sure that's the reason?
    World economic situation seems to be recovering based on yesterday's report, I think that's a more likely reason.
    BBRY SP bump today is in line with the market (nothing special).
    Sometimes I feel it's a waste of time trying to decipher the double talk.
    When the US was going to bomb Syria, they said it would all crash. Everything would crash.
    The markets were down, and so everything was.
    Now that it was kinda sorta postponed, they totally forgot about it, coz it the markets in NA were closed on Monday.
    They just closed their eyes to what happened on the markets around the world on Monday.

Where is the logic now?

And they blame others for wearing tinted glasses!

Just as there are tinted glasses that show a rosy picture, seems like there are glasses available out there that only show doom and gloom!
    09-03-13 09:18 AM
    Never heard of these guys, but they have BB as a buy.

Makor Starts BlackBerry (BBRY) at Buy
    09-03-13 09:23 AM
    Sometimes I feel it's a waste of time trying to decipher the double talk.
    When the US was going to bomb Syria, they said it would all crash. Everything would crash.
    The markets were down, and so everything was.
    Now that it was kinda sorta postponed, they totally forgot about it, coz it the markets in NA were closed on Monday.
    They just closed their eyes to what happened on the markets around the world on Monday.

Where is the logic now?

Just as there are tinted glasses that show a rosy picture, seems like there are glasses available out there that only show doom and gloom!
    the markets can still fall, they are just retracing some of the previous decline. it could easily still all be down from here.
    09-03-13 09:24 AM

That's just human nature I think.
    If we want something badly enough, we will see it. For example, if you're waiting for your first date who is late, every girl in the distance tend to look like her. LOL
    09-03-13 09:25 AM

OR ... not.
    09-03-13 09:26 AM
    the markets can still fall, they are just retracing some of the previous decline. it could easily still all be down from here.
    Sure.
    Just that I don't think it's happening today.
    09-03-13 09:28 AM
113,256 ... 18281829183018311832 ...