• No

427 37.82%
    More buying opportunities !

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    Lol...

Posted via CB10
    Bugmapper likes this.
    09-01-13 07:30 AM
    Some sound advice in here. Stick to the plan . . . . keep moving as SuperFly_FR would say.

Apple is sacrificing innovation on the altar of shareholder value

ERIC REGULY
    ROME — The Globe and Mail
    Published Friday, Aug. 30 2013, 6:49 PM EDT
    Last updated Friday, Aug. 30 2013, 8:02 PM EDT

When Apple Inc. CEO and co-founder Steve Jobs died in 2011, every Apple investor, supplier and customer had the same question: Would the creative energy that turned Apple into the most successful technology company die with him?

Two years later, the question remains open but the omens are worrisome. There is ample evidence that Apple is becoming a “financialized” company, that is, one that will make shareholder value the primary goal even if it espouses its passion for continuous innovation. Four months ago, CEO Tim Cook committed to hosing out as much as $100-billion (U.S.) to shareholders by way of stock buybacks and cash dividends by the end of 2015.

The extraordinary move – Apple had never indulged investors with buybacks so lavish – came shortly after one of the planet’s most powerful hedge fund managers, David Einhorn of Greenlight Capital, pushed Apple to “unlock” shareholder value worth potentially hundreds of billions of dollars. It appears Mr. Einhorn is getting his way, and there may be more shareholder goodies to come as the company pumps out profits the size of some developing countries’ GDP.

Apple under Mr. Cook has hardly been a razzle-dazzle machine. Since he took over, there has been no product launch to equal the iPod (2001), the iPhone (2007) and the iPad (2010), though judging him after a mere two years in the saddle seems churlish – breakthrough products don’t come at regular intervals. Early next month, Apple is expected to unveil a sexed-up version of the iPhone 5 and a low-price knock-off of the same gadget, which may be called the 5C, designed to compete with Samsung and other Android models in non-wealthy parts of the planet. Ho-hum.

The share price has also been ho-hum. A year ago, the shares hit $705, making Apple the most valuable publicly traded company. They now trade at about $500, though they had sunk to $385 in April. Whether the recent climb has to do with shareholders charging after the handouts demanded by Mr. Einhorn or optimism that Apple, having seen off BlackBerry and Nokia, can do the same with a surging Samsung, is open to debate. My guess is that it is the former.

At the end of the last fiscal year, Apple was sitting on $121-billion in liquid assets (cash, cash equivalents, short- and long-term marketable securities). That’s a fortune and “investors” who had nothing to do with Apple’s phenomenal ability to create must-have consumer items are yearning for a plump slice of the retained and future earnings pie.

In a paper called “Apple’s Changing Business Model,” to be published in the December edition of Accounting Forum, the academic team led by William Lazonick, director of the Center for Industrial Competitiveness at the University of Massachusetts Lowell, concludes that Apple is already undergoing a personality downgrade. “Captured by shareholder value ideology, Cook and his top executive team have opted to support value extraction rather than value creation … In other words, Apple is becoming a typical American corporation,” they write.

That’s a provocative statement, and one that could prove wrong if Mr. Cook sends the bloodsuckers packing and rolls out a killer product. But, sadly, Mr. Lazonick and his colleagues have a point.

What is a “financialized” company? It is one whose management buys into the cult of shareholder value and devotes an inordinate amount of resources to share buybacks and dividend payments, all the better to reward hit-and-run shareholders and executives stuffed to their cufflinks with options. Buybacks have always occupied the dark side of capitalism. They signal that management lacks the incentive, or imagination, to put the loot to better use, such as R&D or employee development. Buybacks also reward those who sell their shares, not those who hang on to them, as dividends do.

When Mr. Jobs was running the show, Apple could hardly be accused of existing to “maximize shareholder value,” a term that came into vogue in the 1980s and has become even more popular today. He did want profits, and excelled at making them, but mostly to muster the resources to develop more game-changing products. In a 2009 TV interview, he said, “Someone long ago told me, ‘Manage the top line, which is your strategy, your people and your products, and the bottom line will follow.’”

There were times when coddling investors was paramount at Apple, but it wasn’t during the era of Mr. Jobs. In 1993, when John Sculley was CEO, the phrase “maximizing shareholder value” first emerged as a key management goal, according to Mr. Lazonick, with bonuses and options tied to it. Not surprisingly, dividend payments and share buybacks soared during the Sculley era, from 1983 to 1993, and Mr. Sculley became America’s top-paid tech executive. His reign did not end well. Profits declined sharply in his final year and, not long later, losses piled up. The shares hit $4 in 1997 and the company’s survival did not seem assured. Mr. Jobs returned from exile that year and used a series of exquisite new products to turn the company into a profits juggernaut.

In March, Warren Buffett, one of the greatest value creators of all time, used a CNBC interview to give some unsolicited advice to Mr. Cook, who was then being hounded by Mr. Einhorn. “I would ignore [Einhorn],” he said. “I would run the business in such a manner as to create the most value over the next five or 10 years. You can’t run a business to try and run the stock up every day.”

A month later, Mr. Cook made his $100-billion distribution commitment. With Samsung and a few other rivals coming on strong, and Apple fiddling with updates of existing products, could this money not be put to better use?
    Last edited by bungaboy; 09-01-13 at 06:13 PM.
    09-01-13 08:26 AM
    Agree enterprise is where the write down will occur, this was not specifically identified but TH did say this was the quarter for some cash burn and It's pretty obvious the money isn't going to mass TV ads.

Don't agree at all with the 400.00 device manufacturing cost on the Z or Q...many many threads on here which peg it more in the high two's.

Too many incentive variables to even try to guess loss leader(s) however I think it's safe to say it's likely whatever they do give will benefit the long term bottom line...saying otherwise is just silly.

SF is BigBadBen with you yet?

Posted via CB10
    Randeman, sidhuk, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    09-01-13 09:32 AM
    Don't agree at all with the 400.00 device manufacturing cost on the Z or Q...many many threads on here which peg it more in the high two's.
    The $400 is based on value after manufacturing, which should be about 40% above the manufacturing cost ie build cost of $290+40% margin.
    09-01-13 10:02 AM
    Carmel California. Shared via nfc from my wife's awesome Q10. I hope the gang is enjoying this beautiful Sunday.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000447.jpg

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, cjcampbell, cgk and 7 others like this.
    09-01-13 12:05 PM
    Carmel California. Shared via nfc from my wife's awesome Q10. I hope the gang is enjoying this beautiful Sunday.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000447.jpg 
Views:	1002 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	197702

Posted via CB10
    See Clint around? LoL

Great pic of a beautiful spot!
    09-01-13 12:17 PM
    Is that a state park?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4
    BergerKing likes this.
    09-01-13 12:20 PM
    Could be where BBRY is headed:

Xiaomi

The Chinese smartphone maker already outsold Apple�s iPhone in the Chinese market in the second quarter of 2013. Its valuation has ballooned from $4-billion to $10-billion in a year, based on a recent capital increase.....

Xiaomi�s business model is part hardware, part software and part social networking.....

Xiaomi aims to sell 20 million handsets in 2013, almost three times as many as last year. Assuming an average price of $250, that�s $5-billion of revenue. After applying the company�s net margin of roughly 10 per cent, the new valuation is a pretty un-racy 20 times earnings...

What�s missing is a �moat� (such as BBRY and AAPL have with their own OS) to protect Xiaomi�s share of the viciously competitive smartphone market....

Hot tech upstarts have waxed and waned in other markets. For Xiaomi, the biggest challenge may be expanding its user base while retaining the core fans. So far the focus on service and schmoozing consumers, rather than relying on hardware, suggests the hype is deserved.

Xiaomi raids Google, but now must capitalize on its hype - The Globe and Mail
    09-01-13 12:27 PM
    Everyone seen this.? If true, that's dismal.
    kfh227 likes this.
    09-01-13 12:48 PM
    Everyone seen this.? If true, that's dismal.
    Though I still consider this anecdotal, it's wouldn't be the least surprising. The Z10 and Q10 are lost causes in the USA anyway. It makes you wonder what kind of support the Z30 will get.
    09-01-13 01:09 PM
    Which is why I said if true - might the z30 end up being an 'exclusive'* in the US?

* we could only get one carrier to take it
    09-01-13 01:13 PM
    Given that they are selling the handsets well below cost ...
    Pardon me but what kind of information do you base this Given on ?

Aren't you confusing carriers subsidized plans with ASP?
    Maybe I've missed something, can you develop your argument, please ?

Because if I rely on current FR carriers offers (with 2yrs expensive plans). Nor the Z10 than the Q10 appears cheaper than competitiors' matching devices ...

Datz From my Z10 amigo.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-01-13 at 06:04 PM.
    09-01-13 05:45 PM

SF is BigBadBen with you yet?

Posted via CB10
    Heading back to paris tomorrow morning (Monday) should have some news soon !

Datz From my Z10 amigo.
    bungaboy, sidhuk and BergerKing like this.
    09-01-13 05:51 PM
    Heading back to paris tomorrow morning (Monday) should have some news soon !

Datz From my Z10 amigo.
    Have a great time with a fellow Canadian

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 06:21 PM
    And...not sure if this has been shared yet:

http://blackberryappgenerator.com/mi...42_510641&wl=9

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    09-01-13 06:22 PM
    Pardon me but what kind of information do you base this Given on ?

Aren't you confusing carriers subsidized plans with ASP?
    Maybe I've missed something, can you develop your argument, please ?
    I'm referring to the $100 Z10 for your closest 10 friends and family deal for employees deal. Just like the $100 Surface RT's Microsoft gave away to TechEd attendees it heralds a massive write-down.
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    09-01-13 06:24 PM
    I'm referring to the $100 Z10 for your closest 10 friends and family deal for employees deal. Just like the $100 Surface RT's Microsoft gave away to TechEd attendees it heralds a massive write-down.
    Would that be like struggling car manufacturers, such as Ford, GM etc who offer 'employee pricing' to the public, which 'heralds a massive write-down'? /sarcasm
    09-01-13 07:04 PM
    Just came from Ikea here in Winnipeg, I was shopping with friends and noticed a lady with a white Z10. I asked her if she liked it and she said that she is very happy with it, and her husband and daughter have the Z10 and son the Q10. Just thought of sharing that with you guys, happy Long Weekend. OH go see "We are the Millers" its funny.
    09-01-13 07:07 PM
    Given that they are selling the handsets well below cost I think it is almost inevitable that they will incur some kind of charge. The only question is how big.

Lets see - probably around 4-5 million Z10s manufactured ( 2 million per month until they cut production) and likely much less (say 3 million) sold with a "value" of $400 each, cut to $100 each, may mean $300 million in inventory write down.
    looks like you are clairvoyant, so why not release the quarterly on Tuesday, so we got that out of the way. and it makes Thor's job so much easier as he does not need to bother with that anymore. Great. Keep it Up.
    09-01-13 07:20 PM
    Offering this deal as a taxable benefit is actually a really quite a smart accounting move.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 07:46 PM
    looks like you are clairvoyant, so why not release the quarterly on Tuesday, so we got that out of the way. and it makes Thor's job so much easier as he does not need to bother with that anymore. Great. Keep it Up.
    Hey, dont shoot the messenger. We can only rely on our best estimate. We are all wrong sometimes...

06/27: OK, here is the book on news events: the market will move against the recent prevailing trend, regardless whether you are talking Good or Bad news.
    So, clearly BB is in a recent downtrend and subsequently the stock will go Up(unless of course the news would beyond expectations atrocious). So up it will be regardless, dont even need to tune it to the news, it will be a no brainer rally for tomorrow.
    09-01-13 07:47 PM
    If usa carriers stop carrying bb10 phones, it will tank the stock. And we need to stop pretending that the usa doesn't matter.

Even in Canada I hear mixed comments on adoption.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 07:52 PM
    You have no idea what you're talking about. Stop opening your mouth and spreading trash. BlackBerry has been doing this for employees for a long time. It's been how I have gotten BlackBerry phones before. If you don't have any facts or useful information you should just stick to reading this thread and not contributing. You are doing your fellow readers a disservice by spewing out this ****.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 09:01 PM
    You have no idea what you're talking about. Stop opening your mouth and spreading trash. BlackBerry has been doing this for employees for a long time. It's been how I have gotten BlackBerry phones before. If you don't have any facts or useful information you should just stick to reading this thread and not contributing. You are doing your fellow readers a disservice by spewing out this ****.

Posted via CB10
    This is true.
    They have always been doing it, once the phones have been out in the market for a few months.
    bungaboy, sidhuk and cjcampbell like this.
    09-01-13 09:10 PM
    Bbry knows how treat their own staff. The bears would be up in arms if the staff paid full price too. Jealous. Wish I worked at bbry.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-13 11:39 PM
113,256 ... 18201821182218231824 ...