View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    That first red circle is a 1-3 stock split. The stock was still going up at that point. That is not a drop off associated with the introduction of the iPhone.

The 7/10 point leads up to the second top. The 6/20 point is the first top where it passed the house of reps. Also, pay attention to the fact that you're not using a linear scale in your graphs. It makes them a little misleading.

Snowden is stuck in Russia because the US didn't want the world to know about it.
    Here's RIMM and NASDAQ overlaid on top of each other. Everything crashed in 2008. It's the financial crisis of 2008 that's to blame here, not FISA.

dusdal and Compaqee like this.
    08-29-13 12:17 PM
    Zzzzzzz....

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000930.png

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 12:21 PM
    Here's RIMM and NASDAQ overlaid on top of each other. Everything crashed in 2008. It's the financial crisis of 2008 that's to blame here, not FISA.

http://i.imgur.com/WGtD2i5.png
    But you'll notice that BBRY crashed much harder following the June highpoint.

Flew higher, fell further.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-29-13 12:30 PM
    to the day? How about a fact check?

2008-07-10: President George W. Bush signed the bill into law. From the day it was signed, the stock actually rose steadily for more than a month, increasing by $23. The crash didn't happen until Aug 22, where it dropped steadily until the end of the year.

The graph below pokes a couple of big holes in that conspiracy theory. Why did it rise for a month after it was signed? Why did it take five months to crash, when the information was made public in one shot, not parceled out in bits over a period of months?

Plus, you're forgetting one little thing that happened in 2008, something called the collapse of the housing bubble, Lehman, AIG, and the resultant financial crisis. That's the actual culprit here. Overlay other indices and stocks over this and it's obvious.

http://i.imgur.com/7UoQ0S6.png
    If I plotted when I first bought BB shares in 2009 on this graph, you will have the real reason for the cliff-drop - I bought shares...
    08-29-13 12:31 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-stata.jpg
    We're green! At least in South Africa. I wish we were green in more places...
    08-29-13 12:41 PM

Here's one overlaid with AAPL showing key FISA amendment legislation events.

The data just doesn't fit your theory.

Your original claim that the great crash corresponds to the day is not only wrong, there is actually a negative correlation. RIMM was already on its way down well before it was passed by the House of Representatives. When Bush signed it into law, RIMM went into a huge increase. When FISA was extended for five years there was no effect on RIMM until a week later.

The precise claims you are making "to the day" that doesn't fit unless the data is greatly fudged.

dusdal likes this.
    08-29-13 12:55 PM
    Time for Statcounter update before i head out to the gym.
    StatCounter Global Stats - Browser, OS, Search Engine including Mobile Market Share USA

StatCounter Global Stats - Browser, OS, Search Engine including Mobile Market Share SA

StatCounter Global Stats - Browser, OS, Search Engine including Mobile Market Share (world wide 4%) I am happy with 5%. lol 4 is not too shabby so for. I know they need to upgrade their system to stop seeing BB10 browser as chrome
    08-29-13 12:57 PM
    Here's one overlaid with AAPL showing key FISA amendment legislation events.

The data just doesn't fit your theory.

Your original claim that the great crash corresponds to the day is not only wrong, there is actually a negative correlation. RIMM was already on its way down well before it was passed by the House of Representatives. When Bush signed it into law, RIMM went into a huge increase. When FISA was extended for five years there was no effect on RIMM until a week later.

The precise claims you are making "to the day" that doesn't fit unless the data is greatly fudged.

http://i.imgur.com/3UvBH2K.png
    I think you may have accidentally fudged yours.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry2.png

For reference, a week later the company posted this for earnings:

The company reported revenues of $2.24 billion, up 107% from the year-earlier period. And it generated $483 million in net income, or 84� a share, compared with net income of $223 million in the same quarter last year, or 39� a share. It also said that wireless operators added 2.3 million new BlackBerry subscribers in the quarter, bringing its industry-leading total in the smartphone market to more than 16 million subscribers.
    How does a company that's reporting a 107% increase in revenue see a 70% decrease in its stock value?
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-29-13 01:01 PM
    So what happens if they report this upcoming ER that not only did they sell more BB10 phones, but they also increased their subscriber numbers, referencing the old metric Thor said they weren't going to use anymore.
    Isn't that one of the numbers, old or new that they said they are not going to report on any longer?
    cjcampbell likes this.
    08-29-13 01:07 PM
    I think you may have accidentally fudged yours.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbry2.png 
Views:	280 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	196877
    I'm not sure what you're trying to highlight there.

Why would I fudge data when anyone can go to Google finance, type in the dates and reproduce the charts?
    08-29-13 01:11 PM
    A lot of people have taken off today and tomorrow heading into the long weekend. Seems like the stock has too.
    lcjr, Compaqee and bungaboy like this.
    08-29-13 01:12 PM
    I'm not sure what you're trying to highlight there.

Why would I fudge data when anyone can go to Google finance, type in the dates and reproduce the charts?
    The market closed the week on that highpoint. The same Friday the house passed the amendments. Not where you've highlighted in your graphs. You're showing it occurring after the highpoint.

It's started to crater the following week, despite a reported 107% increase in revenue from the same quarter of the previous year.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-29-13 01:16 PM
    That first red circle is a 1-3 stock split. The stock was still going up at that point. That is not a drop off associated with the introduction of the iPhone.

The 7/10 point leads up to the second top. The 6/20 point is the first top where it passed the house of reps. Also, pay attention to the fact that you're not using a linear scale in your graphs. It makes them a little misleading.

Snowden is stuck in Russia because the US didn't want the world to know about it.
    Probably OT but Snowden is stuck in Russia because he broke the law and is a coward. Sometimes you have to fight the government for a good cause, but there is a way and method to do it that is honorable and commendable. I don't think Snowden ever gets into the MLK, Ghandi, Rosa Parks, maybe even Aaron Swartz category. He get neither honorable or commendable in my book. Certainly, YMMV. and JMHO.....

I give zero credence to the connection you are trying to make to the SP, sorry but I just don't see it.
    08-29-13 01:17 PM
    Yesterday the backdoor talk...today the fudge theories. Coincidence? I think not!
    cjcampbell, lcjr, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    08-29-13 01:17 PM
    Probably OT but Snowden is stuck in Russia because he broke the law and is a coward. Sometimes you have to fight the government for a good cause, but there is a way and method to do it that is honorable and commendable. I don't think Snowden ever gets into the MLK, Ghandi, Rosa Parks, maybe even Aaron Swartz category. He get neither honorable or commendable in my book. Certainly, YMMV. and JMHO.....

I give zero credence to the connection you are trying to make to the SP, sorry but I just don't see it.
    Sure, he's Benedict Arnold.

But he told the rest of the world that the US is essentially spying on everyone. He may be a coward to you, but to the rest of the globe we're still upset over the whole 'WE SPY ON EVERYONE' stance.
    danprown and jordandrews90 like this.
    08-29-13 01:19 PM

It would because it is a single stock versus an index.
    08-29-13 01:24 PM
    It would because it is a single stock versus an index.
    Compare it to other technology companies.
    08-29-13 01:29 PM
    sorry guys. at the gym but i had to post this before i forget about it. it may have posted before?
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-images.jpg
    08-29-13 01:29 PM
    Sure, he's Benedict Arnold.

But he told the rest of the world that the US is essentially spying on everyone. He may be a coward to you, but to the rest of the globe we're still upset over the whole 'WE SPY ON EVERYONE' stance.
    I am upset about it, and think it is completely overkill. But to be honest whenever I speak on the phone or send an email or speak in a public setting I assume that if they can get a warrant, its fair game for big brother. Encryption doesn't make me feel better, I assume they can break it if they really want to as well.
    08-29-13 01:31 PM
    sorry guys. at the gym but i had to post this before i forget about it. it may have posted before?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	713 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	196883
    See - if I had you on ignore, I would have missed this tidbit and chuckle.
    lcjr, Compaqee, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    08-29-13 01:33 PM
    I am upset about it, and think it is completely overkill. But to be honest whenever I speak on the phone or send an email or speak in a public setting I assume that if they can get a warrant, its fair game for big brother. Encryption doesn't make me feel better, I assume they can break it if they really want to as well.
    Warranted eavesdropping is fine.

But when they start stockpiling everything from everyone in case they ever need to look back into your past... that's damn creepy.

Play God much?
    08-29-13 01:43 PM
    A lot of people have taken off today and tomorrow heading into the long weekend. Seems like the stock has too.
    Yeah, it would seem so. After work today I'm taking off again for Colorado Springs for the weekend (more house hunting). Monday is a U.S. federal holiday (Labor Day) so nothing much will happen that day either. Maybe next Tuesday we'll start seeing something positive. I would be greatly surprized if tomorrow (Friday) was action packed. Well, regarding the SP anyways. I'm positive you guys will keep this thread rolling.
    08-29-13 02:02 PM
    Yeah, it would seem so. After work today I'm taking off again for Colorado Springs for the weekend (more house hunting). Monday is a U.S. federal holiday (Labor Day) so nothing much will happen that day either. Maybe next Tuesday we'll start seeing something positive. I would be greatly surprized if tomorrow (Friday) was action packed. Well, regarding the SP anyways. I'm positive you guys will keep this thread rolling.
    One of the few holiday's shared on both sides of the border. I hope you have a great time and find the house you want.
    08-29-13 02:29 PM
    Looks like Microsoft is in discussions regarding a stake in Foursquare. That's too bad.
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-29-13 02:38 PM
    per Bloomberg News, Morgan Stanley is said to hold off on Blackberry 10 upgrade:

"By Hugo Miller and Michael J. Moore
    Aug. 29 (Bloomberg) -- Morgan Stanley is holding off on upgrading its employees to BlackBerry Ltd.’s newest smartphones and operating system because of concerns that the Canadian company may not back its platform long-term, according to two people with knowledge of the bank’s plans.
    Morgan Stanley would normally have a firm timeline for an upgrade by now, more than five months after the new phones were introduced, said one of the people, who asked not to be identified because the bank’s deliberations are private. The bank has chosen instead to keep using earlier models such as BlackBerry 7 devices, introduced in 2011, because it wants assurance of support for BlackBerry 10 now that the smartphone maker is considering strategic changes, the people said.
    A BlackBerry board committee began exploring a sale of the company this month while also weighing partnerships to rescue it from a three-year sales slide that has slashed its market value by about 90 percent. That announcement spurred speculation that other corporate customers across industries will hold off moving up to BlackBerry 10, torpedoing an effort by Chief Executive Officer Thorsten Heins to spark a sales rally with a wave of corporate upgrades.
    Competitors such as Apple Inc., Google Inc. and Samsung Electronics Co. stand to benefit if customers switch away from BlackBerry.
    Another large U.S. bank, with more than 100,000 employees, has started a three-month pilot program for 100 employees using BlackBerry 10, which will give it more time to decide whether to upgrade as it monitors the company’s performance, a person with knowledge of that bank’s strategy said.
    Morgan Stanley, which owns the world’s largest brokerage, has about 55,600 employees. Mark Lake, a spokesman for Morgan Stanley in New York, declined to comment.
    Adam Emery, a spokesman for BlackBerry, said he couldn’t comment on Morgan Stanley’s plans.
    “We remain steadfast in our commitment to our customers and shareholders,” Emery said. “We believe in our innovative technologies and we are laser-focused on delivering long-term value.”
    08-29-13 03:06 PM
113,250 ... 18071808180918101811 ...