View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Please, let's pretend TA means That's All, folks.
    T.U

Posted via CB10
    Huh?? I thought it was 'short' for Tats and Aristos !!

PS - See what I did there?
    Last edited by Bacon Munchers; 08-28-13 at 09:07 PM.
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-28-13 08:48 PM
    A weird day in here...is it a full moon or something?

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 09:06 PM
    A weird day in here...is it a full moon or something?

Posted via CB10
    Can't hear you, I am barking at this shiny thing in the sky.

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 and Nindia like this.
    08-28-13 09:08 PM
    I must say CJ, you've maintained great composure today. I was waiting to read a comment that would make the mods blush but you held back. Beer time my friend.
    08-28-13 09:09 PM
    I just wish they would announce a deal. I really don't want to suffer through another dismal ER. I've already turned $7,500 into $5,000 and really don't want to turn $5,000 into $2,500. Good news for the faithful, if I do sell that guarantees a deal or decent ER soon thereafter.
    lcjr and cjcampbell like this.
    08-28-13 09:22 PM
    I just wish they would announce a deal. I really don't want to suffer through another dismal ER. I've already turned $7,500 into $5,000 and really don't want to turn $5,000 into $2,500. Good news for the faithful, if I do sell that guarantees a deal or decent ER soon thereafter.
    So you're going to take one for the team?? Awesome! Last time I did that I was jumping out a bedroom Window at 3 in the morning. Hahahaha.
    cjcampbell, bungaboy and Randeman like this.
    08-28-13 09:25 PM
    Well, out of beer... on to... um.... the good stuff?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000408.jpg

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, jxnb, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    08-28-13 09:27 PM
    Well, out of beer... on to... um.... the good stuff?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000408.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	196731

Posted via CB10
    We used to make that stuff in our back yard shed. Well, until it caught fire. Should never drink on the job. Hahaha.
    sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    08-28-13 09:30 PM
    We used to make that stuff in our back yard shed. Well, until it caught fire. Should never drink on the job. Hahaha.
    Baaahahaha. Nice! Did y'all play the jugs too? (jk)

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk, bungaboy and Bugmapper like this.
    08-28-13 09:32 PM
    So you're going to take one for the team?? Awesome! Last time I did that I was jumping out a bedroom Window at 3 in the morning. Hahahaha.
    Not sure yet. I have a sinking feeling that the numbers are going to be bad and if they start burning cash then it might get very ugly. I feel a bit like Clint Eastwood is looking at me and asking me if I feel lucky. I don't. I am really only in it still due to the buyout possibility, I have almost no faith in the BB10 hardware and think that the OS is good but was too little, too late and wasn't good enough to really move the needle. That leaves me hoping for a buyout or a major security scare that drives people to BBRY. In the meantime I just have my z10 ridiculed by my kids and colleagues. It's getting lonely....

So do I lock in a 33% loss by selling or risk it all by sitting tight? $7,500 is a good chunk of change to me, but it won't kill me to lose it. The wife will never know.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    08-28-13 09:40 PM
    Baaahahaha. Nice! Did y'all play the jugs too? (jk)

Posted via CB10
    LOL, the spoons. Lol
    sidhuk, BergerKing and bungaboy like this.
    08-28-13 09:40 PM
    LOL, the spoons. Lol
    Lol. Nice. I haven't played the spoons in years.

Posted via CB10
    lcjr, BergerKing and bungaboy like this.
    08-28-13 09:47 PM
    I must say CJ, you've maintained great composure today. I was waiting to read a comment that would make the mods blush but you held back. Beer time my friend.
    I am surprised that he hasn't used the Back Door card yet? So, I agree. He kept his composure.
    lcjr, cjcampbell, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    08-28-13 09:50 PM
    Wow this thread is all over the place today... thanks for the entertainment.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    lcjr, sidhuk, cjcampbell and 2 others like this.
    08-28-13 09:53 PM
    Thought experiment time. Let's assume the WSJ is right that the Q10 is not selling well in the U.S. What would eventually lead to more BB10 sales in the U.S.?

1. Eventual positive word-of-mouth
    On launch, the Z10 was fast, fluid, and responsive... but buggy and incomplete. My Z10 rebooted twice a day, to the point I didn't want to show it to people, for fear of it locking up and rebooting. 10.1 solved that, and was a good improvement. I'm running 10.2, and it's another great improvement. It's starting to feel not just fast and streamlined, but *complete* and *rock-solid*. Not 100% there yet, but the pace of improvements is legitimately impressive.

None of my friends show interest in buying it. Yet. However, I think about the government and corporate users who will have to use the phone, the non-devoted, non-Crackberry readers, and I really feel like these people will help spread the word that BlackBerry is completely different. Badmouthing something you don't use, or use and don't like, is easy. Yes, some people will have a hard time adapting, but these people would have a hard time with a Droid as well. I think the majority of tech savvy users will find BB10 not at all what they expected, in a positive way. Word of mouth can be extremely powerful.

2. Close the App Gap
    Will this happen? No clue. But if you want consumers to switch, the switch has to be painless. If they use X, Y, and Z daily on their phones, you have to have it for them.

3. Have XBBM be excellent
    In some countries, I can see XBBM allowing BB7 users to switch to low-cost Androids rather than upgrade to expensive and data hungry BB10 phones. But in the States, a solid XBBM app would at least allow iPhone and Droid users to see that BlackBerry does some things very well. Will it translate to sales? I'm iffy on that. You might pick off some people with aging Droids that are fed up with the Droid operating system. If it at least helps slow the negativity, it will help, at least indirectly.

4. Improve Carrier Training and Representation
    Too many stories of representatives actively steering people away from the phones. Fixing this is out of my depth, but, it needs to be addressed.

5. Revamp marketing
    Those "two kinds of keyboards" billboards kill me. Newsflash: no one cares. Why? Because no one knows the phone is completely different. Americans need to be shown that BB10 is completely rebuilt. And please, put on the boxing gloves. Loudly proclaim: BB10 has the best messaging, best OS, best browser. Hit back at your competition: "Those Droids are not the phones you're looking for".

If you want to try to get younger consumers, try having fun with how outdated BBs have been. Have a commercial where a hipster smugly dismisses his friend's BB10, saying, "The last time BlackBerry was good was like 1985!" (cut to scenes that never could have happened, of people using primitive BlackBerries while dressed like Crockett and Tubbs... or at Studio 54. Or in the control room during Apollo 13). Then over the course of time have the hipsters won over by phone's awesomeness. BlackBerry is uncool and dated to most Americans. Hit that head on.

6. Ecosystem
    Something something ecosystem. I'm not dismissing this aspect, I just don't know enough about it. Apple seemingly has their people locked down with iEverything, but I'm not convinced that the Google / Droid ecosystem is impervious to attack. Not many people I know are a) completely Googled-up, or b) completely happy with Google. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

Will BlackBerry be able to give BB10 handsets more time to catch on in the U.S.? It will be interesting to see...
    08-28-13 09:54 PM
    Let's say you wanted to go to some random city. Eg Cordenons Italy:
    -Type the name into Google Maps on either of the 2 dominant platforms. Up it pops. Zoom to exactly the area you want. Select "Make this map area available offline." Response is "the on-screen area of the map has been cached." When you get there your GPS will allow you to navigate around the saved city without an internet connection.
    -Search Cordenons in wikipedia. Save to your browser reading list.

You now have more utility (real time nav) than these one city apps.

Including these one (poorly done) trick ponies in the "crumbling pile" is perfectly appropriate.
    You have to type OK maps now to cache an offline map on Google maps. So it is hidden unless you know to look for it. I wonder how long the feature will stay.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    08-28-13 10:32 PM
    Well, a great show is on (fast and loud) so ill call it a night here. Have a great evening gang. Tomorrow's another day.
    cjcampbell, sidhuk and OMGitworks like this.
    08-28-13 10:34 PM
    Thought experiment time. Let's assume the WSJ is right that the Q10 is not selling well in the U.S. What would eventually lead to more BB10 sales in the U.S.?
    1. Eventual positive word-of-mouth

It is very hard to overcome a bad first impression. It is specially difficult to do on a six month old phone which has been overshadowed in the public mind by shinier newer competitors, the stigma of flop sales, and the dark cloud of the company being up for sale. This is the media perception.

2. Close the App Gap

The gap appears to be growing bigger. Revelations that 60% of BB10 apps are spam apps. A lot of BlackBerry's most loyal developers disgruntled that the time they spent on apps for the Playbook was completely wasted. It will be hard getting other developers to develop for a company whose future is uncertain and whose market share is growing ever smaller.

3. Have XBBM be excellent

This will hurt BlackBerry device sales. But it will increase brand awareness and help rebuild the reputation a bit. More importantly, it is meant to increase the value BBM for the company.

4. Improve Carrier Training and Representation

This might be a futile exercise because the carriers will act in their best interest. They are devoting proportionally as much floor space and attention to BlackBerry relative to how many BlackBerry's they sell. Was it Verizon where last quarter, only 1 out of 1000 phones they sold was a BlackBerry? Why would the carrier even bother with this?

5. Revamp marketing

This is the one area where things can be improved. Almost anything they do will be an improvement here because there is nowhere to go but up.

6. Ecosystem

This might be the toughest to crack. Customers want things that work together. Many PlayBook owners crumbled and bought a Nexus for lack of choice. There are so many gadgets out there from smartwatches to Chromecasts to GPS trackers to heart monitors to Nest thermostats that consumers would like to work with their phone. My Z10 feels like a lonely outsider, unable to join in with my local internet of things.
    techvisor, imz and bondary like this.
    08-28-13 11:09 PM
    You have to type OK maps now to cache an offline map on Google maps. So it is hidden unless you know to look for it. I wonder how long the feature will stay.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Hidden? You mentioned a shortcut ( type "OK maps" and the on screen map area is immediately cached ), but there is a more obvious way.

Of course, if you are not sure how to cache maps, there is this revolutionary new feature called "help". I just entered "offline" into it and got this:
    "Access maps offline
    To make an area of the map available when you�re offline, follow these steps:
    Move your map to the area you�d like to view later.
    Tap the search box and scroll down past the search suggestions. Select Make this map area available offline."

Your shortcut is there too:
    "OR
    Just type �ok maps� directly into the search box and press the search button."

And no, there is no reason to think this feature is going away.

The above methods to cache offline maps don't sound *too* difficult for most users, do they? Ironically, a common excuse amongst ardent BB10 fans is that it would have taken over the world by now if i*ards and *umbsung users had IQs greater than room temperature.
    08-28-13 11:22 PM
    and just like that, more Grey space on screen.
    bungaboy and peter9477 like this.
    08-29-13 12:08 AM
    U can't ignore me. I am a large crown royal bottle.

Posted via CB10
    Nindia and rodan01 like this.
    08-29-13 12:16 AM
    Some developer data from another thread.

Thoughts or interpretations of these data points?

http://qmldevelopment.tumblr.com/pos...-world-numbers

Posted via CB10
    jxnb, bungaboy, Randeman and 3 others like this.
    08-29-13 12:51 AM
    Not sure yet. I have a sinking feeling that the numbers are going to be bad and if they start burning cash then it might get very ugly. I feel a bit like Clint Eastwood is looking at me and asking me if I feel lucky....
    I get your point, although I disagree with the bb10 devices not being good. Seems more like people just don't know how to use them.

Regarding the cash burn and handset numbers being lower, please don't forget that TH stated to expect this in the Sept. ER. Remember also, that last ER he was almost spot on his mark, so the 40% SP haircut was excessive.

More advertising/marketing, teamed up with new device launches are going to equal cash burn in and above recovery, but should taper-off to some degree after all 6 devices are launched. Then they may have a bit of a breather to focus more attention to getting the handets into corporate hands before the next device launch. I am only reflecting handsets because of your points. Obviously, there is a lot more on the table here.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    08-29-13 12:55 AM
    This thread is given a lot of latitude re subject matter discussed.
    But we are NOT discussing exotic dancers, nor anything else even vaguely related.

Keep it PG-13 people!
    And maybe somewhat on topic. Hopefully. Sometimes.
    08-29-13 01:03 AM
    Looks like the WSJ is at it again, Q10 Keyboard Phone fall flat:

Sales of BlackBerry's Q10 Keyboard Phone Fall Flat - WSJ.com
    Oh well, I just bought one for the wife yesterday...
    dusdal, Elite1, cjcampbell and 5 others like this.
    08-29-13 01:54 AM
113,256 ... 18031804180518061807 ...