View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Yikes! Scary to think if Google can pull this off

Google to enter the car building business?
    What is so scary?
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-27-13 02:06 PM
    Every stock on my watch list is deep in the RED. It's not just Blackberry. So, since I had a few bucks burning a hole in my pocket I took advantage of the opportunity and bought some more shares. Now I feel better.
    08-27-13 02:12 PM
    What is so scary?
    Well, they did develop Android...
    sidhuk likes this.
    oh, i have gone through many spinoffs and invariably the shareholder simply gets for every share owned so many of the spinco shares, and if you are short all you can do is go to the market to buy the missing spinco shares. there is nothing complicated about it.

That it happens "invariably" is absolutely not true, in fact a spin-off from a public company to a subsidiary that yields new, publically traded share is the rare exception, not the rule. It certainly does happen, but not invariably and not even in 90% of the cases. I bet is less than 1% of the cases where what you suggest is simple actually occurs.

What you suggest is NOT what is going to happen HERE and NOT what was rumored. It would be a major, stupid move for BBRY to spinoff BBM into a separate publically traded company. They would get crucified for that. Is BBRY going to spend 10-25% of the value of an asset (possibly even more) to get it listed on an exchange? No way, never. The intent is to package it separately, but not to have it traded separately. It makes a sale or joint venture much easier down the road and may 'unlock' value. All that happens is they deduct the value of BBM from one column and replace it with an equally valued asset called BBM, Inc.

Not looking for a fight, put me on ignore if you think I am trying to be obnoxious (I am not) God knows there is enough of that now around here, but facts matter. They matter when we argue about the shorts spreading lies and it matters when we post things that say shorts will be forced to cover, when in fact it is extremely unlikely spinning off BBM as contemplated and reported will result in them having to cover. It just won't.
    dusdal and m0de25 like this.
    What is so scary?
    can't help but think of the movie total recall (original) .......

08-27-13 02:15 PM
    That it happens "invariably" is absolutely not true, in fact a spin-off from a public company to a subsidiary that yields new, publically traded share is the rare exception, not the rule. It certainly does happen, but not invariably and not even in 90% of the cases. I bet is less than 1% of the cases where what you suggest is simple actually occurs.

What you suggest is NOT what is going to happen HERE and NOT what was rumored. It would be a major, stupid move for BBRY to spinoff BBM into a separate publically traded company. They would get crucified for that. Is BBRY going to spend 10-25% of the value of an asset (possibly even more) to get it listed on an exchange? No way, never. The intent is to package it separately, but not to have it traded separately. It makes a sale or joint venture much easier down the road and may 'unlock' value. All that happens is they deduct the value of BBM from one column and replace it with an equally valued asset called BBM, Inc.

Not looking for a fight, put me on ignore if you think I am trying to be obnoxious (I am not) God knows there is enough of that now around here, but facts matter. They matter when we argue about the shorts spreading lies and it matters when we post things that say shorts will be forced to cover, when in fact it is extremely unlikely spinning off BBM as contemplated and reported will result in them having to cover. It just won't.
    it happened to me invariably and you are telling that is not true, what kind @#$%^&*() are you?
    08-27-13 02:21 PM
    it happened to me invariably and you are telling that is not true, what kind @#$%^&*() are you?
    I guess we should agree to disagree on this. Calling me names isn't very productive, especially when you wrong. I don't disagree or can't dispute your personal experience, all I can say is that you are either extremely lucky or unlucky as the case may be.

If M+8 or somebody else familiar with how large companies manage subsidiaries (Google [verb] GE, IBM, Google, or any other large corp to see the vast number of wholly owned subsidiaries, it's impressive I am sure) wants to chime in here, great. If not, I'll move on without resorting to name calling.
    08-27-13 02:31 PM
    I guess we should agree to disagree on this. Calling me names isn't very productive, especially when you wrong. I don't disagree or can't dispute your personal experience, all I can say is that you are either extremely lucky or unlucky as the case may be.

If M+8 or somebody else familiar with how large companies manage subsidiaries (Google [verb] GE, IBM, Google, or any other large corp to see the vast number of wholly owned subsidiaries, it's impressive I am sure) wants to chime in here, great. If not, I'll move on without resorting to name calling.
    you are dreaming stuff up, i am talking what is really happening with a spinoff. i don't need to ask anybody else.
    08-27-13 02:35 PM
    you are dreaming stuff up, i am talking what is really happening with a spinoff. i don't need to ask anybody else.
    Call me when BBM, Inc trades on the Toronto, NYSE or NASDAQ forcing shorts to cover.... I will give you 100 to 1 odds on that. Tongue back to being bit..... Headed to a HS soccer match. Much more fun.
    08-27-13 02:39 PM
    Overall market is down - blame Syria.

Let's just all sit back and relax, I don't think BBRY will close under 10, even so it will gap up by end of week or next week. This is mainly tied to the sell-off of US intervention (Western nations as well) in the Syria atrocity.

I'm sitting red everywhere but that's OK, I have my health, family & friends. Tis all just money.

Everything has seemed to be ramping up into a frenzy, the world, work etc. Downtown Toronto near the universities is a huge hustle and bustle, students coming back etc. Busy season is kicking off so sit back and relax folks - we all invested in BBRY the fun no?

Ya'll lovelies have a great day now =).

Cheers!

08-27-13 02:41 PM
    Call me when BBM, Inc trades on the Toronto, NYSE or NASDAQ forcing shorts to cover.... I will give you 100 to 1 odds on that. Tongue back to being bit..... Headed to a HS soccer match. Much more fun.
    Wall Street Journal came up with the rumour. You give them 100 to 1 odds of reports being true?
    08-27-13 02:44 PM
    Playing devil�s advocate here for a moment.

When BBM goes cross platform, what if it doesn�t take off the way we all hope? I think we can all agree that BBM is a cut above the rest, however, many argued (& many still do that) BB10/QNX is the best OS available right now. That hasn�t spurred growth the way we all hoped.

The market is quite competitive, what if people are indifferent to yet another messaging platform?

Remember the mistake facebook did. They rolled out facebook home to much fanfare; we have a billion potential users... got HTC to make a device and then poof, in a month, no one cared for it. You can have a great idea/product but it doesn�t take hold.

I think we should temper our expectations a little... BBM could be great or it could be OK (transalation = flop).

Just thinking out loud.
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    08-27-13 02:44 PM
    Wall Street Journal came up with the rumour. You give them 100 to 1 odds of reports being true?
    I think what he is saying, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, is that they can spin it off as a wholly owned private company that is not publicly traded yet still owned by BB. I don't think he is saying that your situation(s) that you have been privy to don't happen, but that he doesn't believe that if the rumour true, that it will spin off as a public entity. That's all. BB already wholly owns companies that are not traded so why could the same not be done with BBM Inc, should it actually happen?
    08-27-13 02:48 PM
    Many people of my circle just about tolerate Facebook and judging by the sales and general response Facebook Home received, I think the same applies for everyone - they just about tolerate it. It's pretty well known everyone "hates Facebook but they HAVE TO be on it because they now need it for such n such a reason", the last thing they want is phone dedicated towards it.
    08-27-13 02:50 PM
    They are trying to spin off BBM in the hopes that Wall Street will value BBM members as an opportunity for some other company to acquire without the baggage of the failing hardware business. It's a standard move. Even GM was rescued this way. The real losers are unionized employees who all of a sudden work for the "Bad BlackBerry."

The "Good Blackberry" becomes a pure-play software company with 60 million subscribers that can either monetize their services or more likely be bought and assimilated into any number of large tech companies with their services merged.

What they are really trying to spin-off sell are the current BBM subscribers which a lot of companies would be interested in - without the hardware business.
    08-27-13 02:59 PM
    I think what he is saying, and feel free to correct me if I am wrong, is that they can spin it off as a wholly owned private company that is not publicly traded yet still owned by BB. I don't think he is saying that your situation(s) that you have been privy to don't happen, but that he doesn't believe that if the rumour true, that it will spin off as a public entity. That's all. BB already wholly owns companies that are not traded so why could the same not be done with BBM Inc, should it actually happen?
    well, that is not a spinoff. that would make no difference to the current situation.
    08-27-13 02:59 PM
    More QNX/China news:

QNX, AutoNavi collaborate to provide in-car navigation for automakers in China
    Map database offers 20 million points of interest

Paul Leroux
    This just in: QNX has announced that it is partnering with AutoNavi, a leading provider of digital map content and navigation solutions in China, to integrate AutoNavi�s technology into the QNX CAR platform.

AutoNavi offers a digital map database that covers approximately 3.6 million kilometers of roadway and over 20 million points of interest across China. By supporting this database, the QNX CAR platform will enable automotive companies to create navigation systems optimized for the Chinese market and users.

Said Yongqi Yang, executive vice president of automotive business, AutoNavi, �as a leading global provider of vehicle infotainment software platforms, QNX is not only a technology leader, but also a design concept innovator in enhancing vehicle flexibility � infotainment designs based on the QNX CAR Platform can be quickly customized.�

For more information on this partnership, read the press release. And to learn more about AutoNavi, visit their website.

QNX Auto Blog: QNX, AutoNavi collaborate to provide in-car navigation for automakers in China
    08-27-13 03:00 PM
    well, that is not a spinoff. that would make no difference to the current situation.
    Except it would be operating as it's own business, not as BlackBerry. Just like the security company BB bought, or the radio chip company (I forget their names and just don't feel like looking them up).
    OMGitworks likes this.
    08-27-13 03:04 PM
    What is so scary?
    Because they will know every turn you make and sell that information to your spouse or partner. LoL

Posted from my Z10 via C10
    08-27-13 03:07 PM
    Except it would be operating as it's own business, not as BlackBerry. Just like the security company BB bought, or the radio chip company (I forget their names and just don't feel like looking them up).
    yes, OK. but the WSJ report mentioned Spinoffs. these examples are not spinoffs. these examples are more like wholly owned subsidiaries.
    08-27-13 03:11 PM
    Unfortunately I think the WSJ suggested spun off as a subsidiary.

Which, on my definition, makes no sense. IMO they are mutually exclusive.

You spinoff and issue shares or you create a subsidiary (a la QNX) and there is no issuance just a change in corporate structure.

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell and kfh227 like this.
    08-27-13 03:16 PM
    Subject changing distraction!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-new-1.png
    08-27-13 03:17 PM
    Subject changing distraction!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-1.png 
Views:	513 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	196260
    Which graphing package do you use? Thats really nice.
    BergerKing and anon(4086547) like this.
    08-27-13 03:20 PM
    Unfortunately I think the WSJ suggested spun off as a subsidiary.

Which, on my definition, makes no sense. IMO they are mutually exclusive.

You spinoff and issue shares or you create a subsidiary (a la QNX) and there is no issuance just a change in corporate structure.

Posted via CB10
    One of BlackBerry's witter account reported today's QNX news under the phrase, "QNX, a subsidiary of BlackBerry...so and so". Same thing can be for BBM like you said.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 03:20 PM
    yes, OK. but the WSJ report mentioned Spinoffs. these examples are not spinoffs. these examples are more like wholly owned subsidiaries.
    Fair enough, but the WSJ was not reporting fact, but reporting rumour. It sounds better to say spinoff especially when there aren't hard facts, or at least none that are able to be announced yet. Until then, it's a rumour. And what's wrong with being a wholly owned sub? It has it's own books, answers to no one but themselves, operates privately, and can simply be an asset of worth to BB as opposed to a part of it's day to day.

To be clear, I am just spitting out ideas as this is all foreign to me but logically, it makes sense.
    08-27-13 03:21 PM
113,251 ... 17941795179617971798 ...