View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    When you spin off such a large chunk, won't the shorts have to replace all the stock that they borrowed?
    No - current shareholders will get something (cash, shares in BBM, Inc) for what is given up, but BBRY will trade as usual. It won't trigger a squeeze unless the move itself does for economic reasons. Since it is essentially an accounting move, at least at first, I can't see the value surging enough to in and of itself trigger a squeeze.
    mset and anon(4086547) like this.
    08-27-13 12:43 PM
    right, SHORT shareholders will have to find BBM shares, OUCH...
    Simply not true, sorry.
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    08-27-13 12:45 PM
    Simply not true, sorry.
    then you don't know how that works
    sidhuk likes this.
    08-27-13 12:54 PM
    Hopefully this trend from netmarketshare.com continues as well. We should have an August update on it next week.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-netmarketshare-bb.jpg
    08-27-13 12:56 PM
    then you don't know how that works
    Please enlighten me. Being serious, not snotty. BBRY remains the same. BBRY might get cash, might get stock in an acquirer, might get shares in a joint venture, or any other mutation, but BBRY shares don't change under 99% of the scenarios if they sell or spin off a piece of the company. As stated in my other posts, in and of itself how does it trigger shorts to cover? Any loss in assets should simply be replaced by an equally valued asset if the valuation is done correctly.
    08-27-13 01:02 PM
    added two more to the ignore list.
    three
    Four
    Listening to Mambo # Five now
    LoL I am on a roll today. added five so for today.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-27-13 01:02 PM
    Guys, just a quick comment on the trolling/negative views in this thread, you need to let it slide....like water off a ducks back. Some of you are letting it get to you too much.

I have no one on my ignore list. If a certain member keeps trying to pick a fight to get a rise...well....your all grown adults (at least I hope you are), just scroll past the post...thats what I do. If they post links to contrarian views, let it be. We need to have balance, and sometimes those contrarian view articles or links contain little nuggets of gold in them. I love a debate, but won't do it inthis thread, so avoid debating (with the good guys or the bad guys), it will keep the issue at bay.

At this stage, we have to conceed, the Bears have the rope pulled a little towards their side, lets not dismiss them so quickly. Rather, lets use them to put coin in our pocket. I don't read the posts from the negative folks here unless they contain links or useful facts, I scroll right past (mind you I do that for most all posts that don;t contain useful info ....LOL). It doesn't bother me in the least, don't let it bother you.

Now, as for the rest of the Forums ....DIE TROLLS DIE!!!!!!!
    08-27-13 01:04 PM
    Guys, just a quick comment on the trolling/negative views in this thread, you need to let it slide....like water off a ducks back. Some of you are letting it get to you too much.

I have no one on my ignore list. If a certain member keeps trying to pick a fight to get a rise...well....your all grown adults (at least I hope you are), just scroll past the post...thats what I do. If they post links to contrarian views, let it be. We need to have balance, and sometimes those contrarian view articles or links contain little nuggets of gold in them. I love a debate, but won't do it inthis thread, so avoid debating (with the good guys or the bad guys), it will keep the issue at bay.

At this stage, we have to conceed, the Bears have the rope pulled a little towards their side, lets not dismiss them so quickly. Rather, lets use them to put coin in our pocket. I don't read the posts from the negative folks here unless they contain links or useful facts, I scroll right past (mind you I do that for most all posts that don;t contain useful info ....LOL). It doesn't bother me in the least, don't let it bother you.

Now, as for the rest of the Forums ....DIE TROLLS DIE!!!!!!!
    Sorry Mate, Not Today. it is ON. Let me clean it up.
    LoL
    08-27-13 01:09 PM
    Please enlighten me. Being serious, not snotty. BBRY remains the same. BBRY might get cash, might get stock in an acquirer, might get shares in a joint venture, or any other mutation, but BBRY shares don't change under 99% of the scenarios if they sell or spin off a piece of the company. As stated in my other posts, in and of itself how does it trigger shorts to cover? Any loss in assets should simply be replaced by an equally valued asset if the valuation is done correctly.
    when BB spins off the BBM shares to the share holders, the shorts will have to buy these(BBM shares) on the open market. simple enough. see it as a dividend, same thing.
    08-27-13 01:10 PM
    Since people were asking how BlackBerry will ever be able to monetize XBBM (cross-platform BBM), I've been wondering (as others have) if it might be able to compete with WebEx and other online presentation/collaborative software. Acquaintances who use WebEx keep saying it's quite expensive to use, but I have no idea what the costs are. If XBBM has robust video, voice, and text capabilities, it isn't hard to imagine it being used not just for "small" conversations, or pushing out information via BBM channels, but for large scale, interactive presentations.

How close is it to being able to do that? No idea. But it seems the foundation is there. So, that's one potential money-making route.
    08-27-13 01:11 PM
    Hi,

For a change of topic, an older promo but of interest:

Is there a site where BB interesting promos are collected?
    08-27-13 01:17 PM
    Interesting how the device manager software has striking similarities, visually, to BB Link.
    08-27-13 01:32 PM
    Are we really going to break under $10? ugh.
    08-27-13 01:34 PM
    when BB spins off the BBM shares to the share holders, the shorts will have to buy these(BBM shares) on the open market. simple enough. see it as a dividend, same thing.
    I respectfully and I mean that, disagree. A "controlled subsidiary" as mentioned in that article tells me it will definitely NOT be a separately traded company. BBRY will likely own 100% of BBM, Inc. It would be very foolish for BBRY for go thru the stock registration process for such a small part of its its business. It's not cost effective. Again, it is an accounting gymnastics for now, that won't cause shorts to have to cover simply because they do it.
    08-27-13 01:35 PM
    overall market is bleeding today so don't put too much thought into the SP

Are we really going to break under $10? ugh.
    sidhuk, abouthsu and BergerKing like this.
    08-27-13 01:35 PM
    Ya I know but we also know that BBRY doesn't always follow the market.
    sidhuk and BergerKing like this.
    08-27-13 01:36 PM
    Can't think that way, the global picture is dim at the moment with another possible middle east conflict every market in the world is red, can't expect BBRY to go against global markets. Good day to add or start positions in many stocks though imo since I believe the initial reaction is just a shock effect and it will pass in a few days
    08-27-13 01:39 PM
    Ya....it is today thou

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    sidhuk and Shanerredflag like this.
    08-27-13 01:42 PM
    I respectfully and I mean that, disagree. A "controlled subsidiary" as mentioned in that article tells me it will definitely NOT be a separately traded company. BBRY will likely own 100% of BBM, Inc. It would be very foolish for BBRY for go thru the stock registration process for such a small part of its its business. It's not cost effective. Again, it is an accounting gymnastics for now, that won't cause shorts to have to cover simply because they do it.
    they mentioned a spinoff and in my scenario you will have to agree the shorts will have to acquire BBM shares.
    if you don't want it to be a spinoff, well OK, but that is not the leak or rumour.
    sidhuk likes this.
    08-27-13 01:42 PM
    True.
    BBRY down 3.5% on a day when AAPL is down 3% is a no-brainer !!!
    sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    08-27-13 01:46 PM
    they mentioned a spinoff and in my scenario you will have to agree the shorts will have to acquire BBM shares.
    if you don't want it to be a spinoff, well OK, but that is not the leak or rumour.
    Fair enough, we are talking apples and oranges, but I don't think your understanding of spinning off a part of the business is inclusive enough as it pertains to any publically traded company such as BBRY. It most likely,as posted above, would be 100% owned by BBRY.

Here are the facts and I don't think they say what you think they say or that they support your scenario at all:

UPDATE 1-BlackBerry eyes spinoff of messaging service -WSJ

TORONTO, Aug 27 (Reuters) - BlackBerry Ltd is considering spinning off its messaging service into a separate unit, the Wall Street Journal said on Tuesday, quoting people familiar with the matter.

The subsidiary would be called BBM Inc, the newspaper said.

A BlackBerry spokeswoman told Reuters the company cannot comment on rumor and speculation.

Two sources familiar with the company's thinking, who declined to be named because they are not authorized to discuss the matter with the media, told Reuters the company has reallocated internal resources and personnel to work exclusively on fine-tuning the BlackBerry Messenger service ahead of its launch on competitors' devices.

However, there is no immediate plan to spin off the unit, one of the sources said, adding that BBM for Apple's iPhone and devices using Google's Android should be available to consumers in the next few weeks.

The instant messaging service has about 60 million users who send billions of messages a day. BlackBerry has sought to add value to the service, even as the popularity of the company's own handsets shrinks, by adding video calling over WiFi and working to make the service available to users of other devices.

The company has already announced plans for BBM Channels, which would allow advertisers to promote special deals or to target markets narrowly.

BlackBerry is also considering making BBM available for desktop computers, the Journal said, quoting a person it said was familiar with the matter.

BlackBerry said earlier this month it was looking into options for the company, which could include an outright sale.

BlackBerry's shares were 3 percent lower at C$10.63 on the Toronto Stock Exchange early on Tuesday afternoon. They have lost well over three-quarters of their value since a peak in early 2011, and are down more than 7 percent so far this year.
    08-27-13 01:49 PM
    Some custom productivity app from BB you may enjoy. Helps keep those Friday Night beverage flowing..

08-27-13 01:53 PM
    Some general innovation comments on Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, etc by Steve Wozniak:

Apple co-founder: Microsoft stopped innovating | SmartPlanet
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    08-27-13 01:55 PM
    Fair enough, we are talking apples and oranges, but I don't think your understanding of spinning off a part of the business is inclusive enough as it pertains to any publically traded company such as BBRY. It most likely,as posted above, would be 100% owned by BBRY.

Here are the facts and I don't think they say what you think they say or that they support your scenario at all:

UPDATE 1-BlackBerry eyes spinoff of messaging service -WSJ

TORONTO, Aug 27 (Reuters) - BlackBerry Ltd is considering spinning off its messaging service into a separate unit, the Wall Street Journal said on Tuesday, quoting people familiar with the matter.

The subsidiary would be called BBM Inc, the newspaper said.

A BlackBerry spokeswoman told Reuters the company cannot comment on rumor and speculation.

Two sources familiar with the company's thinking, who declined to be named because they are not authorized to discuss the matter with the media, told Reuters the company has reallocated internal resources and personnel to work exclusively on fine-tuning the BlackBerry Messenger service ahead of its launch on competitors' devices.

However, there is no immediate plan to spin off the unit, one of the sources said, adding that BBM for Apple's iPhone and devices using Google's Android should be available to consumers in the next few weeks.

The instant messaging service has about 60 million users who send billions of messages a day. BlackBerry has sought to add value to the service, even as the popularity of the company's own handsets shrinks, by adding video calling over WiFi and working to make the service available to users of other devices.

The company has already announced plans for BBM Channels, which would allow advertisers to promote special deals or to target markets narrowly.

BlackBerry is also considering making BBM available for desktop computers, the Journal said, quoting a person it said was familiar with the matter.

BlackBerry said earlier this month it was looking into options for the company, which could include an outright sale.

BlackBerry's shares were 3 percent lower at C$10.63 on the Toronto Stock Exchange early on Tuesday afternoon. They have lost well over three-quarters of their value since a peak in early 2011, and are down more than 7 percent so far this year.
    oh, i have gone through many spinoffs and invariably the shareholder simply gets for every share owned so many of the spinco shares, and if you are short all you can do is go to the market to buy the missing spinco shares. there is nothing complicated about it.
    sidhuk likes this.
    08-27-13 01:55 PM
    Yikes! Scary to think if Google can pull this off

Google to enter the car building business?
    08-27-13 02:00 PM
113,256 ... 17931794179517961797 ...