View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Hmmmmmmmmm, better go check up on all this T&A stuff people are arguing over... Back back in a few...
    cjcampbell, _dimi_ and bungaboy like this.
    08-26-13 10:37 PM
    Not all the information, just the publically available information. No insider info. Regardless a refutation of EFT cannot be done with one example from one stock.
    08-26-13 10:38 PM
    Regardless a refutation of EFT cannot be done with one example from one stock.
    Sure it can! If we can show that all the *publically available* information about BBRY (RIMM) was not reflected in the stock price on the date I mentioned, EMT is refuted.

Period.
    dusdal, morganplus8, zyben and 3 others like this.
    08-26-13 10:59 PM
    To avoid a spamming of this particular thread, please be so kind as to take this side discussion to this thread. It has been created specifically for this topic.

http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f3...entals-843304/

It's a great topic and I look forward to taking part.
    08-26-13 11:47 PM
    He's a big boy. My critiques are all pretty standard objections to TA and I'm sure he had heard all of them before. However I'm seeing quite a number of self confessed investing novices in this thread. Don't you think they deserve to hear the alternative viewpoint? Isn't asking questions always a good thing specially when money is involved?
    Seriously, do you really care if any of the novice investors here are losing their money? Thanks, but no thank you. It's my money and I have rights to do whatever the heck I want with it.
    08-26-13 11:48 PM
    Are you lot on the newest 10.2?

This is really starting to show the impact of their focus on letting us be remarkably efficient!

Priority Call Reply: preset three different messages, when you choose to ignore a call these options will pop up, touch the appropriate one "sorry, busy. Will call you back shortly " and this will be sent to the caller. Even better, it will triage the methods it uses. For instance the person I tested it with was on my BBM list, so it bbm'ed that message instead of using sms.

Posted via CB10
    You mean like the iPhone has done for the last year?

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-phone_reply_step3_2x.jpg

"iOS 6 adds new calling features to your iPhone. Now when you decline an incoming call, you can instantly reply with a text message or set a callback reminder."
    08-27-13 12:10 AM
    Yup, it looks like the same function

A shame it took them 6 iterations

Maybe in six more years they'll get the other two that I mentioned in that post?

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 12:13 AM
    You mean like the iPhone has done for the last year?
    And thank you for taking the time to cherry-pick one feature out of that set of enhancements which happens not to be a BlackBerry exclusive. Is it safe to assume that this is the only one of those features that the iPhone has? Otherwise I can't figure out why you wouldn't have tried shoving the rest of them in our faces too. By the way, there's an iPhone forum somewhere around here, I'll bet...

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 12:47 AM
    How exactly is Blackberry going to make money by making BBM cross platform? I know TH said they have a plan to monetize it, but other than that, nothing has been said by blackberry. So, what are they thinking?
    Consider the financial opportunity of all the new bbid's soon to be in BlackBerry control. It's always been about signing people up to a "Secure BBID" once using the platform BlackBerry unlocks the value and attached security for many things "BlackBerry Money" being only one!

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 01:43 AM
    The vacation starts....so happy to be back in Reims with family and friends

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_1204.jpg
    08-27-13 02:14 AM
    1,2,3 ...
    Napalm smell with my coffee this morning lol.
    Tail thing. No biggie. Everybody stay ... calm !
    08-27-13 03:28 AM
    This is one example makes Samsung so successful. They managed to cut a deal with BlackBerry which will help Samsung sell phones, at the expense of BlackBerry. What a deal! They also manage to give the impression that they have an exclusive on BBM even though it will be in the Play Store so they will sell phones at the expense of other phone.
    The glass will be forever half empty with your glasses.
    They didn't ask. BB did.
    08-27-13 03:30 AM
    How exactly is Blackberry going to make money by making BBM cross platform? I know TH said they have a plan to monetize it, but other than that, nothing has been said by blackberry. So, what are they thinking?
    IMHO :
    1. Channels revenues (may be very small at start, can turn out to be big in the near future)
    2. BBM for enterprises (incl. dedicated enterprise seeded channels for sales, marketing, P.R, security, social news, etc ...) : this is where BES10 cross-platform takes all sense, besides the BYOD thing (should I write balancing the BYOD thing?). This might be the biggest evolution of BBM since video/voice. No more email (as such) only secured/encrypted/monitored/time stamped connections for everything Enterprise. In a snap. Ask your IT guy ...
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 08-27-13 at 04:30 AM.
    jxnb, zyben, Randeman and 8 others like this.
    08-27-13 03:36 AM
    I'm hoping that morganplus8 is off composing a epic defense of TA, since no one else appears capable of refuting any of my technical objections. Apart from tossing insults, that is.
    (A.I sophisticated models based on) T.A is what computerized transactions rely on. These instant transaction have a massive influence on stock behavior, as they are cold driven by machines and stats and can decide to clear/take a position within ranges that can be huge.
    Pretending this is the only way all trades are made is just plain stupid -and no one ever pretended it was - but ignoring the fact that these computerized "instant trading" systems do act as your "stops" in a way better efficiency (because they don't care what stock is implied, in fact their actions are targeted to secure/improve massive portfolios). As an example, the same day these systems can by/sell the same stock a dozen times, with different amounts and strategies, including opposite (as we might see them) orders (sell/buy). They can even execute them at the exact same moment.
    I think your grief is not about TA, but maybe the fact that "we" tend to promote the bullish case.
    Yes, we are bulls. No news.

I'm quite amazed these days ... I remember when I had my first motorbike (moped ?) engine failure.
    I checked it all; sparks, cables, chain ... Even the tires pressure! But no chance, I gave up and bring it to the repair. Wasn't that bad and would have been a very cheap bill if I didn't messed up almost everything by myself ... I was simply out of gas.
    Today's trend is to forecast "Heins' underwear color" ... when we should try to figure in witch country he's living.

P.S: today should be my blackout day, as the beach I'm driving to is out of any kind of cell coverage.
    Last time I went out of radio was last year ... Is that what "true holidays" is ? Well ... can't tell, I forgot what it's like
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 08-27-13 at 04:28 AM.
    dusdal, jxnb, zyben and 11 others like this.
    08-27-13 03:57 AM
    The vacation starts....so happy to be back in Reims with family and friends

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1204.jpg 
Views:	747 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	196121
    Excellent !
    I must remember to carry some Corsica products back to Paris ...
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    08-27-13 04:17 AM
    (A.I sophisticated models based on) T.A is what computerized transactions rely on. These instant transaction have a massive influence on stock behavior, as they are cold driven by machines and stats and can decide to clear/take a position within ranges that can be huge.
    Pretending this is the only way all trades are made is just plain stupid -and no one ever pretended it was - but ignoring the fact that these computerized "instant trading" systems do act as your "stops" in a way better efficiency (because they don't care what stock is implied, in fact their actions are targeted to secure/improve massive portfolios). As an example, the same day these systems can by/sell the same stock a dozen times, with different amounts and strategies, including opposite (as we might see them) orders (sell/buy). They can even execute them at the exact same moment.
    Thank you for an on-topic response and not throwing insults. Ok, about algorithmic trading. Let's compare it to the kind of charting that is seen in this thread. There are many strategies employed by the algos and only one of them, trend following, somewhat resembles what the chartist does. From wikipedia:

Trend following is an investment strategy that tries to take advantage of long-term, medium-term, and short-term movements that sometimes occur in various markets. The strategy aims to take advantage of a market trend on both sides, going long (buying) or short (selling) in a market in an attempt to profit from the ups and downs of the stock or futures markets. Traders who use this approach can use current market price calculation, moving averages and channel breakouts to determine the general direction of the market and to generate trade signals. Traders who subscribe to a trend following strategy do not aim to forecast or predict specific price levels; they initiate a trade when a trend appears to have started, and exit the trade once the trend appears to have ended.
    But there is no evidence that trend following works, see the research paper that I linked to earlier. Other differences. The charting on this thread are based on exactly one variable changing over a set period of time. The algorithms make use of many variables and they have access to real time trading data. The algorithms are looking at the whole tapestry as it is being woven, the chartist is looking at a single thread once the garment has reached the retail store.

Which leads to problem number 5: Trend following algorithms work in microprocessor time. Remember the flash crash in 2010 that was blamed on high frequency trading? These algos all detected a trend and reacted within seconds of each other. By the time the chartist draws the line and completes his analysis, the algos would have traded away all of the inefficiency.

I think your grief is not about TA, but maybe the fact that "we" tend to promote the bullish case.
    Yes, we are bulls. No news.
    You are wrong about this. If a chartist shows up and predicts the bearish case purely because of charts, my objections would remain exactly the same. Besides they're not even "my" objections. These are well known criticisms of TA that have been around for decades.

Here are some fun reads if you like this subject:
    Automate This: How Algorithms Came to Rule Our World: Christopher Steiner: 9781591844921: Amazon.com: Books
    When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management: Roger Lowenstein: 9780375758256: Amazon.com: Books
    Enjoy your holiday!
    08-27-13 06:50 AM
    Where the heck is that update to CB10 that would take care of all this ****ing ****?

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    08-27-13 06:57 AM
    Looking forward to the future despite the ridiculous attempts to trash.
    Anyone else think it a bit bizarre someone used wikipedia to challenge a peer reviewed PHD? Enjoy your day everyone.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 07:28 AM
    Looking forward to the future despite the ridiculous attempts to trash.
    Anyone else think it a bit bizarre someone used wikipedia to challenge a peer reviewed PHD? Enjoy your day everyone.

Posted via CB10
    We have a new pet troll in here. Hangs around like a bad smell too.
    sidhuk, plasmid_boy and lcjr like this.
    08-27-13 07:40 AM
    I Love my ignore list. Keeps bad smell out.
    08-27-13 07:54 AM
    What is with the numerous troll comments? Is there a problem with new participants in this forum? No; on that note let it go, no need to slam posters whose comments may differ from yours regardless if you are a bear or a bull. BlackBerry is going through some very trying times, likewise for all investors. Hopefully all works out for all. IMHO, I am not feeling bullish about the situation, however, it is not easy being a bear with BlackBerry. The upcoming quarterly report certainly is going to impact BlackBerry and any buyout offers. All the best everyone. What a mess premarket, down again, however, as of late BlackBerry loves the pump and dump / dump and pump to trading just cause it can. BlackBerry Limited Pre-Market Trading - NASDAQ.com
    Can you enlighten us as to why you own shares in BlackBerry and why you support them if you are so nervous? Perhaps you should sell those shares today, while the DOW is opening down 120 points after having reversed yesterday and closed down 64 points. Sometimes, all stocks tend to fall when the general market is falling every day. It's a stock thing.

It is true, the next Q report will see the stock move, it could be down, it could be up, but it isn't likely to affect the new business relationship that the company will form with others. If they sold the right to use their patents to say Samsung, for let's say $ 3.5 billion, the stock might go up right? Not all news will be your kind of news, some of it will be related to why members of CB post to this thread.

I wonder if someone here can start a new thread that's more inline with your agenda? Something like ..............

"I'm afraid of BBRY and Want You to Know it Too"

Any way, have a Berry day!!!
    08-27-13 08:02 AM
    Coffee was my first activity, now it's adding smell trolls to the ignore list.
    08-27-13 08:12 AM
    I have no ignore list so far. I have been trying to read them all, but it is getting hard to handle all the nonsense.
    Reminds me of a grad student I had. He tried to impress me so much that he constantly came up witty arguments. They were mostly valid and I wanted to encourage his independent thinking, so I put up with for a year. One day told him to just shut the fark up and do what I tell you.
    Thinking about making a list now...
    08-27-13 08:28 AM
    Coffee was my first activity, now it's adding smell trolls to the ignore list.
    My list contains 37 notable names at present. There are several others on probation. I could be at 40 soon.

It is my privilege to choose not to allow their nasty, bitter, trash talk on my screen.

It took me a while to learn but now I just dismiss them and give them game misconducts!

Because . . . . . I can!
    08-27-13 08:28 AM
    The truth is you can give out a profitable stock trading system to people and most will manage to lose money with it.
    So, is that proof the system does not work?
    Or, that most people are too messed up to trade stocks?
    08-27-13 08:34 AM
113,256 ... 17891790179117921793 ...