View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Allow me to help you rephrase it -

Stock charts are a tool. If you don't know how to use it, you are ! ! !

Can be a good signature for Morgan too.
    I'm hoping that morganplus8 is off composing a epic defense of TA, since no one else appears capable of refuting any of my technical objections. Apart from tossing insults, that is.

Oh by the way I agree with you that stock charts are a tool. However they are only good for looking backward, not forward. Those red and blue lines that people draw on top of stock charts? IMO those are as scientific as astrological charts. Those cups and handles and pennants are are real as those animals that you see in clouds.

I've also heard it argued that TA is a tool that is used to supplement fundamental analysis. Well and good. If you take homeopathic pills together with antibiotics, you'll still get better although you wasted money on the former.
    08-26-13 08:36 PM
    Here what I can offer the blackberry negative doom gloom posters as a deal. I can post followings on their behalf, every morning at 7am eastern standard times so that they don't have to copy and paste any more. And I don't have to block them any more.
    1. Blackberry is dead.
    2. Blackberry cash burn.
    3. Blackberry is dead.
    4. Blackberry bad phone.
    5. Blackberry statcounter is bad.
    6. Blackberry is dead.
    7. TH stole 50 million.
    8. Blackberry dead.
    9. Bbm is dead.
    Please add more to this list. I can copy and paste for you.
    LOL it is funny how the doom and gloom gang posts one after another in a pair. It is very easy to notice when they are in your ignore list. To me, one person has multiple Ids.
    08-26-13 08:36 PM
    It's coming!

This video makes me want to smash my z10 out of frustration since I was just watching it on my phone.

Samsung is showing an outdated bold 9000 and then saying BBM is available on their new beautiful gs4. This is probably going to do more harm than good. They won't show a beautiful z10. The message here is get off your old ****ty 9000 and come to our nice gs4 and you will still have BBM. You're not going to see then advertising that in the USA

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 08:37 PM
    This is a great deal for BlackBerry, free advertising from Samsung! I predict the stock price will double by the time of the earnings report. 10.2, Z30, BBM cross platform, all coming soon.

It ain't EZ being greezy on CBZ
    08-26-13 08:39 PM
    Their not selling BlackBerry any time soon, it's a partnership with Samsung... BlackBerry controls the keyboard market too, that will never die.

It ain't EZ being greezy on CBZ
    morganplus8 and bungaboy like this.
    08-26-13 08:41 PM
    You keep saying that and everyone has an opinion however...you knew that was coming did'nt ya.... you have any shred of proof that's how it wl shake out? What happens if the opposite happens and it draws people back?
    You should listen to all those posters from "developing" countries who posted that this was how it was going to shake out. There's a few threads on that subject, those are opinions from those close to the ground.

It's pretty obvious. BlackBerry is conceding the loss of a portion of their hardware sales in exchange for increasing the value of the BBM service. Now for Samsung though, it's a pure benefit with no cost to them.
    08-26-13 08:44 PM
    Technical counter points hahaha...dats a good Juan. Too much fun.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-26-13 08:45 PM
    You should listen to all those posters from "developing" countries who posted that this was how it was going to shake out. There's a few threads on that subject, those are opinions from those close to the ground.

It's pretty obvious. BlackBerry is conceding the loss of a portion of their hardware sales in exchange for increasing the value of the BBM service. Now for Samsung though, it's a pure benefit with no cost to them.
    Was it you or someone else that was talking single move chess strategy? I'm in the camp that thinks it's brilliant....three moves ahead. Yes, I did read those other threads ...if memory serves there were just as many "local" folks disputing that mindset.

Posted via CB10
    08-26-13 08:49 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00001690.png
    Go Green $$$$$$$

BBM CHANNEL C000EF854 < bbry stocks*C0004ABC9<Pin friends meet
    08-26-13 08:51 PM
    Was it you or someone else that was talking single move chess strategy? I'm in the camp that thinks it's brilliant....three moves ahead. Yes, I did read those other threads ...if memory serves there were just as many "local" folks disputing that mindset.
    No that was Superfly.
    08-26-13 08:51 PM
    No that was Superfly.
    Really? Hard to keep up lol.

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk likes this.
    08-26-13 08:55 PM
    I'm hoping that morganplus8 is off composing a epic defense of TA, since no one else appears capable of refuting any of my technical objections. Apart from tossing insults, that is.
    In fact, Buffet's disdain of this tea-leaf reading is well known. "I realized technical analysis didn't work," Buffett has said, "when I turned the charts upside down and didn't get a different answer."
    But Buffett is hardly alone on that score. Others like investing legend Peter Lynch have joined him observing once that, "Charts are great for predicting the past."
    notfanboy likes this.
    08-26-13 09:03 PM
    In fact, Buffet's disdain of this tea-leaf reading is well known. "I realized technical analysis didn't work," Buffett has said, "when I turned the charts upside down and didn't get a different answer."
    But Buffett is hardly alone on that score. Others like investing legend Peter Lynch have joined him observing once that, "Charts are great for predicting the past."
    Burton Malkiel, author of the classic "A Random Walk Down Wall Street", relates the following story where he had students generate stock charts by graphing a succession of coin tosses:

In other simulated stock charts derived through student coin-tossings, there were head-and-shoulders formations, triple tops and bottoms, and other more esoteric chart patterns. One of the charts showed a beautiful upward breakout from an inverted head and shoulders (a very bullish formation). I showed it to a chartist friend of mine who practically jumped out of his skin. "What is this company?" he exclaimed. "We've got to buy immediately. This pattern's a classic. There's no question the stock will be up 15 points next week." He did not respond kindly when I told him the chart had been produced by flipping a coin.

I highly recommend his book. It is a very entertaining read, and quite informative.
    08-26-13 09:17 PM
    Grenades!

Grenades ..... Everywhere!

Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Listen, I don't care for charts either. If charting worked, everyone on the planet would be a billionaire. Here's the deal. People use charting/TA. If you don't just ignore the posts that talk about it and move on.

Watch this and move on with life:
    08-26-13 09:38 PM
    Burton Malkiel, author of the classic "A Random Walk Down Wall Street", relates the following story...

I highly recommend his book. It is a very entertaining read, and quite informative.
    Read Malkiel just to get a sense of how the ivory tower can dissociate academics from reality. If you don't believe that humans acting en masse don't exhibit predictable patterns of behaviour, you're kidding yourself. The Well Chosen Example aside, TA has made billions for its adherents.

Wasn't Malkiel basically writing in response to the Black/Scholes model?
    08-26-13 09:41 PM
    Read Malkiel just to get a sense of how the ivory tower can dissociate academics from reality. If you don't believe that humans acting en masse don't exhibit predictable patterns of behaviour, you're kidding yourself. The Well Chosen Example aside, TA has made billions for its adherents.

Who?

And just billions?

I'll take your billions and raise you tens of billions via value investing:
    Warren Buffett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    08-26-13 09:45 PM

Buy and hold also has made billions for its adherents. Rising tide and all that. Because the body tends to recover from illness anyway, placebos can be perceived to be effective.

Back during the dot com years, everyone and their brother got into day trading. And because the whole market was rising well what do you know, they made money. Everyone thought they were trading geniuses and they would trumpet their gains at parties.
    08-26-13 09:48 PM
    Grenades!

Grenades ..... Everywhere!

Ahhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Listen, I don't care for charts either. If charting worked, everyone on the planet would be a billionaire. Here's the deal. People use charting/TA. If you don't just ignore the posts that talk about it and move on.

Watch this and move on with life:
    LOL

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell likes this.
    I'm hoping that morganplus8 is off composing a epic defense of TA,
    I hope that he would respond too, because I like to hear what he has to say. But if I were him I would have no reason to waste my time in doing so.

Posted via CB10
    Jeepers... can we just get off this TA **** once and for all?!?! This has come up more than once and fine, you don't believe it is at all effective, then don't pay attention and dismiss it. There are many like you but also many not like you and find the usefulness of it as a tool. Drop it or start your own little thread to dismiss it.

As for the rest of you... STOP QUOTING and perpetuating this ******* nonsensical argument. lol. Nobodies opinion is going to change so it's an exercise in futility.
    08-26-13 09:54 PM
    Buy and hold also has made billions for its adherents. Rising tide and all that.

Back during the dot com years, everyone and their brother got into day trading. And because the whole market was rising well what do you know, they made money. Everyone thought they were trading geniuses and they would trumpet their gains at parties.
    Agree with all of that.

Still, Malkiel is rubbish. The idea that all known information is reflected in a stock's price at any given time and that today's price is the 'fair value' of any stock is so ridiculous, it's amazing that a guy as smart as Malkiel could believe in it. Just look at the letters after his name.
    Last edited by mset; 08-27-13 at 03:47 AM.
    08-26-13 09:54 PM
    I hope that he would respond too, because I like to hear what he has to say. But if I were him I would have no reason to waste my time in doing so.

Posted via CB10
    He's a big boy. My critiques are all pretty standard objections to TA and I'm sure he had heard all of them before. However I'm seeing quite a number of self confessed investing novices in this thread. Don't you think they deserve to hear the alternative viewpoint? Isn't asking questions always a good thing specially when money is involved?
    08-26-13 09:57 PM
    Can't, paying for a wedding and no upgrade 'til November. I was eyeing the Z30, as noted.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CB Forums mobile app
    Me too. My contract runs to July but with me moving and needing a new number anyway I'm going to pressure them to let me upgrade early. I'm holding out for the Z30!
    08-26-13 10:11 PM
    Agree with all of that.

Still, Malkiel is rubbish. The idea that all known information is reflected in a stock's price at any given time and that today's price is the 'fair value' of any stock is so ridiculous, it's amazing that a guy as smart as Malkiel could believe in it. If you look at the letters after his name, you wouldn't believe he could be capable of believing something which is so easily disproven.
    I don't have time to check up on that quote, but the idea behind it is just one form of the efficient market hypothesis fathered by Nobel prize winner Eugene Fama. If you so can easily disprove that then there may be a Nobel prize for you in the future.

Here's a link to a paper titled "Technical Analysis Around The World." Technical Analysis Around the World by Ben R. Marshall, Rochester H. Cahan, Jared Cahan :: SSRN

Abstract:
    Over 5,000 popular technical trading rules are not consistently profitable in the 49 country indices that comprise the Morgan Stanley Capital Index once data snooping bias is accounted for. Each market has some rules that are profitable when considered in isolation but these profits are not statistically significant after data snooping bias adjustment. There is some evidence that technical trading rules perform better in emerging markets than developed markets, which is consistent with the finding of previous studies that these markets are less efficient, but this result is not strong. While we cannot rule out the possibility that these trading rules compliment other market timing techniques or that trading rules we do not test are profitable, we do show that over 5,000 trading rules do not add value beyond what may be expected by chance when used in isolation during the time period we consider.
    08-26-13 10:12 PM
    Here's a link to a paper titled "Technical Analysis Around The World." Technical Analysis Around the World by Ben R. Marshall, Rochester H. Cahan, Jared Cahan :: SSRN
    Ah well, the art in TA is in the interpretation of the data. I never said that anyone can throw a 13 period RSI on a chart and retire to the Bahamas 5 years later. In fact, many 'indicators' didn't show much value when I looked into them. However, indicators like RSI or MACD or whatever are only a part of TA.

More commentary from academics is the last thing I'm going to read.

And there's definitely no Nobel in my future. Disproving Random Walk is as easy as looking at a chart of BBRY and asking whether all the available information was reflected in the stock price on September 9, 2011.
    zyben likes this.
    08-26-13 10:32 PM
113,256 ... 17881789179017911792 ...