View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    The book apps are more annoying though.
    Yeah. I'm all about the free market ideology BlackBerry is trying to bring to BlackBerry World but it does stink that things like book apps clog up our app searches and make it a little more difficult to find worthwhile apps. Should they change their policies to not allow certain kinds of apps to be entered into the store, or would it be more appropriate to wait and do a "house cleaning" similar to what Google did? I think a way they could have it both ways is if they filtered our search results. For example, when I open the New Releases section, maybe give me the option to include books, games, productivity, or educational apps. When I search for particular kinds of apps (games, business, educational, etc), within those categories have sub filters of built for BB, new releases, most downloaded, most rated, etc. I imagine that tools like the stat counter would allow filtering like this to be possible down the road.

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10!
    Last edited by 3_M4N; 08-25-13 at 01:42 PM.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-25-13 01:29 PM
    And third place for Hamilton so great exposure for BlackBerry...well done.

APB for CJ...??? lol

Posted via CB10
    Seems like that's the only marketing decision which has worked out well. Between the number of poles and/or podiums for Mercedes, the exposure to the BlackBerry brand has been great.
    08-25-13 01:52 PM
    So you agree with me that people aren't trying it and sales will remain poor? Well so we do agree on something then!
    I think you twist things into doom and gloom and don't understand what you gain from it...clear enough?

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 01:57 PM
    when?
    Your entitle to your own opinion but being a android users for more than 6 years I'm planning to go back to blackberry as soon as A30 comes out as I prefer bigger screen. So to answer your question of when? Me, And I'm sure there are others out there like myself. Maybe not you personally.
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    08-25-13 02:36 PM
    Your entitle to your own opinion but being a android users for more than 6 years I'm planning to go back to blackberry as soon as A30 comes out as I prefer bigger screen. So to answer your question of when? Me, And I'm sure there are others out there like myself. Maybe not you personally.
    I didn't read the basis of your response but I believe that you will be a small group of Android defectors. Most Droid users love the raw power and the accessibility of apps on day 1. These are definitely traits missing from the BB10 ecosystem. Crackberry Kevin put it best - BB10 is for 1 in 5 smartphone users.
    abouthsu likes this.
    08-25-13 02:52 PM
    BlackBerry users suffer from the crowd effect. In the group they all say they are buying the z/q etc. Where are the sales? 1-2% of the 70m army has upgraded. And that's on the high end assuming all bb10 buyers are coming from legacy os . Less talk more action. Sell like hell? No. Go buy like hell

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 03:06 PM
    I'd be happy with one in five...works for me.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 03:21 PM
    I'm curious as to what Android device you were using more than 6 years ago or if that was a typo. The first android phone was released a little less than 5 years ago

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    08-25-13 03:28 PM
    Are you lot on the newest 10.2?

This is really starting to show the impact of their focus on letting us be remarkably efficient!

Toast instant reply: when a preview pops up on your screen, you can choose to reply right there, no need to change the app or even change screens, it's great!

Trying to find an attachment someone sent you? Whether by email, SMS, BBM, etc? Just enter the hub and choose 'attachments'. Boom!

Even better, you can compose a message, choose 'attachments' and one of the options is add from hub attachments! No need to even download it to your phone first!

Priority Call Reply: preset three different messages, when you choose to ignore a call these options will pop up, touch the appropriate one "sorry, busy. Will call you back shortly " and this will be sent to the caller. Even better, it will triage the methods it uses. For instance the person I tested it with was on my BBM list, so it bbm'ed that message instead of using sms.

These are just a few of the very cool items that are coming baked in to 10.2 and it appears they are very focused on differentiating by making the OS as user friendly as possible. Great stuff!

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 03:43 PM
    I'm curious as to what Android device you were using more than 6 years ago or if that was a typo. The first android phone was released a little less than 5 years ago

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    Maybe not quite 6 years. I can't remember what model i had but was a htc before the Motorola milestone but gone through the group donut, froyo and nowbjellybean . felt like forever. Before the whole android started I was a BB user for a few years. I use office communicator a lot and miss BB a lot that I feel Z10 is enough to go back but as I pointed out that I prefer bigger screen.
    08-25-13 03:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    Same here. IMO, on boarding and converting takes time and hopefully with the right product which I think bb10 is up to par with some sort of partnership and marketing. Its a matter of when and going private might not be a bad thing.
    08-25-13 03:47 PM

This is really starting to show the impact of their focus on letting us be remarkably efficient!

Toast instant reply: when a preview pops up on your screen, you can choose to reply right there, no need to change the app or even change screens, it's great!

Trying to find an attachment someone sent you? Whether by email, SMS, BBM, etc? Just enter the hub and choose 'attachments'. Boom!

Even better, you can compose a message, choose 'attachments' and one of the options is add from hub attachments! No need to even download it to your phone first!

Priority Call Reply: preset three different messages, when you choose to ignore a call these options will pop up, touch the appropriate one "sorry, busy. Will call you back shortly " and this will be sent to the caller. Even better, it will triage the methods it uses. For instance the person I tested it with was on my BBM list, so it bbm'ed that message instead of using sms.

These are just a few of the very cool items that are coming baked in to 10.2 and it appears they are very focused on differentiating by making the OS as user friendly as possible. Great stuff!

Posted via CB10
    Yes...love it.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal and bungaboy like this.
    08-25-13 03:50 PM
    I think you twist things into doom and gloom and don't understand what you gain from it...clear enough?

Posted via CB10
    No ****!
    silversun10, sidhuk and bondary like this.
    08-25-13 03:52 PM

Those features definitely sound useful! In terms of sheer efficiency though, they still need to reduce the number of steps to do ordinary smartphone tasks. When I switch from my Z10 to the S3, I just felt there just too many steps and interrupted flows.
    08-25-13 04:08 PM
    Unless the app is only 3 months old that stat is very wrong.
    Let's use apple's ...
    At least once a month is 12 times a year.
    My crappy and unmarketed (besides - thanks DJ ! - a CB blog review) Thumbs Madness got over 20K in less than - months.
    !under xKs is equivalent to "nothing" for most apps (some, very expensive are out of the stats range).

I won't fight on figures and thanks notafanboy for remembering the "zombie thing", You're right about this one.

What I mean is that on a 500K or more apps, you cannot imagine more than 10% are popular and profitable. Yet, there's a turnover. And that makes the analysis much harder.

As an easy comparison, just imagine a library (you know, where paper books are stored). Same applies IMHO.
    bungaboy, sidhuk and Bugmapper like this.
    08-25-13 04:27 PM

What if I said 80% of people only have sex 3 times in their lives vs 90% of people have sex at least once a month. See - massive difference, and one would actually describe reality.
    I am very sorry about this. I truely meant 3 times per month. But wasn't in my post.
    Sun+Sand+Ladies (almost naked)+ ... Holly cow, it's Sunday ... BEEEEEEEEEEER !

P.S: sorry for that.
    cjcampbell, Randeman and bungaboy like this.
    08-25-13 04:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    Heck yeah! I'd be stoked if we could get BlackBerry market share up to 20%.

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10!
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-25-13 04:35 PM
    And a few months ago, I'd sware I'll prefer typing on my laptop than an 4"2 screen glass keyboard.
    Lesson learned: back to my Z10 to avoid this *$%�!!!� trackpad and key errors !

Missing a dozen hours of sleep. Time to go to bed. See ya on Monday guys !
    08-25-13 04:47 PM
    What I mean is that on a 500K or more apps, you cannot imagine more thant 10% really popular and profitable.
    Yet, there's a turnover. And that makes the analysis much harder.
    The iOS app store earned $1.6 billion in the last quarter. I think a significantly higher percentage of app store developers are earning reasonable money.

Here is the results from a recent IDC survey of thousands of mobile developers.

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-earnings.png
    Attached Thumbnails The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-graph.png  
    08-25-13 04:47 PM

What I mean is that on a 500K or more apps, you cannot imagine more than 10% are popular and profitable. Yet, there's a turnover. And that makes the analysis much harder.

As an easy comparison, just imagine a library (you know, where paper books are stored). Same applies IMHO.
    It's called the long tail. It will always be there. However the fact that only a relatively few top apps are popular does not mean that BlackBerry only needs those few top apps. For many users, it's those apps hiding in the long tail that matters, sometimes even more than the top apps. Educational apps, hobbyist apps, apps for doctors, apps for lawyers, apps for IT administrators, etc.

Another example. I wrote a long post here, where I described how I used many different gadgets from a smartwatch to a heart rate monitor to some home automation stuff. Each one of these are niche products. Maybe one of out 1000 people will have a smartwatch. Maybe a different 1 in 1000 people will have a heart rate monitor or a Nest thermostat. All the apps that allow me to use these from my phone are necessarily in the long tail.

Because they are all niche products, the likelihood of someone else owning this exact set of 10 gadgets is astronomically low. I'm probably one of a few persons in the planet who owns this exact combination of gadgets. (I'm not bragging, this is just a natural consequence of multiplying low probabilities). Despite this, my iOS and Android devices support all of these gadgets. THAT is the value of the long tail, that is the strength of an ecosystem.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    08-25-13 05:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    right on twist and distort is the game, actually you wonder why these people WASTE their Sunny Summer Sunday's on a in their view doomed company? Perhaps guess no more, since the Big NR, we Know there must be some buyers out there And the goal is obviously buy Low. So, anything to knock BB will do the job. Take that to the bank.
    08-25-13 05:14 PM
    It's called the long tail. It will always be there. However the fact that only a relatively few top apps are popular does not mean that BlackBerry only needs those few top apps. For many users, it's those apps hiding in the long tail that matters, sometimes even more than the top apps. Educational apps, hobbyist apps, apps for doctors, apps for lawyers, apps for IT administrators, etc.

Another example. I wrote a long post here, where I described how I used many different gadgets from a smartwatch to a heart rate monitor to some home automation stuff. Each one of these are niche products. Maybe one of out 1000 people will have a smartwatch. Maybe a different 1 in 1000 people will have a heart rate monitor or a Nest thermostat. All the apps that allow me to use these from my phone are necessarily in the long tail.

Because they are all niche products, the likelihood of someone else owning this exact set of 10 gadgets is astronomically low. I'm probably one of a few persons in the planet who owns this exact combination of gadgets. (I'm not bragging, this is just a natural consequence of multiplying low probabilities). Despite this, my iOS and Android devices support all of these gadgets. THAT is the value of the long tail, that is the strength of an ecosystem.
    True, and that is what I believe will be the biggest difference when they really start ramping M2M...because really your app acts as a controller for those devices.
    A true smart device should be able to be run from multiple devices, not limited to two like they are now...I am hoping HTML 5 conquers this issue...a ways to go I know but as a manufacturer I would love to be able to reach everyone with one set of code, not have to rely on only two and miss a big chunk of society.
    I also am aware the fight to keep the status quo is on ...that's just buisness.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    08-25-13 05:21 PM
    True, and that is what I believe will be the biggest difference when they really start ramping M2M...because really your app acts as a controller for those devices.
    A true smart device should be able to be run from multiple devices, not limited to two like they are now...I am hoping HTML 5 conquers this issue...a ways to go I know but as a manufacturer I would love to be able to reach everyone with one set of code, not have to rely on only two and miss a big chunk of society.
    I agree one piece of code is preferable but its just not practical or possible today. I can't imagine how an HTML5 based app can forward phone notifications to a smartwatch, for example.

For now they're not really missing a big chunk, they are reaching 90% of all new smartphone owners after all.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    08-25-13 05:30 PM
    They are missing me and I find that unacceptable lol.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-13 05:43 PM
    I agree one piece of code is preferable but its just not practical or possible today. I can't imagine how an HTML5 based app can forward phone notifications to a smartwatch, for example.

For now they're not really missing a big chunk, they are reaching 90% of all new smartphone owners after all.
    You just need an HTML 5 API to do so. It might be Apple, Google or Blackberry specific which sucks. These companies are not embracing open solutions (agreed to APIs) from what I can see. I have seen Blackberry embracing standards but I think Apple and Google want closed ecosystems.
    08-25-13 08:19 PM
113,256 ... 17831784178517861787 ...