1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Yay, TSX is green +.2
    08-22-13 03:19 PM
    Yay, TSX is green +.2

Also, anyone read this:Last Canadian arrested in penny stock fraud - Business - CBC News
    cjcampbell, lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    08-22-13 03:32 PM
    Not that anyone really put faith in the possibility, but we can scratch out government bailout off the list

http://bgr.com/2013/08/22/blackberry...-intervention/
    Last edited by m0de25; 08-22-13 at 03:57 PM.
    08-22-13 03:47 PM
    Yeah, I'd rather see them figure this out on their own and not take bail-out funds....
    08-22-13 03:53 PM
    And another SA...some good work here too:

"Based on the above numbers, I would not sell for less than $16 a share. This is based on the current economic environment not adequately recognizing value in BlackBerry. If BlackBerry could maintain the status quo into the future, BlackBerry could command a higher asking price.

A term that has come into favor is "the sum of the parts is greater than the whole," meaning a company is worth more broken up into smaller units. I do not believe this statement to be true, as it pertains to BlackBerry. Due to the current low valuation, goodwill and other metrics are not being fully recognized. It is my opinion that goodwill would be significantly higher if BlackBerry was kept together.

Anything lower than $13 a share would raise questions of BlackBerry's leadership not acting in the best interest of shareholders. This is currently happening with Dell (DELL), ironically around the same share price."

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1651...ticle_readmore

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Shanerredflag; 08-22-13 at 04:20 PM.
    lcjr, dusdal, bungaboy and 4 others like this.
    08-22-13 04:02 PM
    As a Canadian taxpayer, I don't want the government involved at all. It is not their role and further, they should be investing more efforts towards making the Canadian telecom landscape more competitive.

Posted via CB10
    m1a1mg, lcjr, take99 and 2 others like this.
    08-22-13 04:10 PM
    You mean those ads the big three are running telling me we have the lowest cell phone rates in the world arent true???
    08-22-13 04:29 PM
    I'm thinking BB will just continue on and the options on the table won't play out for various reasons. If anything, I'd rather see BB go private and buy me out at $16, then go public again a year from now when they are finished re-organizing and better prepared to meet public and media resistance, along with enforcing a better marketing strategy. I would be more than happy to buy back in at that time and am very curious as to what the opening SP would be after being private for such a long period of time. Can anyone remember when this type issue happened to another company? Just wondering how long the issue was on the table before some type decision was made.
    morganplus8 and Kid Vibe like this.
    08-22-13 04:38 PM
    08-22-13 04:46 PM
    I do believe Skype is a good example...this is a decent read:
    http://zingfin.quora.com/Why-Do-Publ...-Go-Private-1?

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 04:54 PM
    Side notes and off topic a bit here. So I bought 400 shares of AMD after reading (sorry forgot the guys name) remarks about the upcoming PS4/Xbox 1 releases. I looked back at AMD Dec 2010 as that is when Microsoft got rid of the faulty 3 rings of death model for the new current model. ( I had 3 Xboxes get those rings, and my new one is still going) At the peek in January AMD shares where $9+.

Also I've mentioned it before but I think with Twitter IPO what do you think the starting asking price will be? If you recall when google went down for 5 mins last week, it was reported that internet traffic dropped 40% but Bing/Yahoo/Ask didn't see a relative up tick, it was Twitter that went on fire as ppl freaked out. I think Twitter will do way better than Facebook IPO..
    lcjr likes this.
    08-22-13 05:25 PM
    Another side note, I'm thinking of doing AMD through options calls. Strike 5 with premium of .17. Thoughts?
    lcjr likes this.
    08-22-13 05:31 PM
    Side notes and off topic a bit here. So I bought 400 shares of AMD after reading (sorry forgot the guys name) remarks about the upcoming PS4/Xbox 1 releases. I looked back at AMD Dec 2010 as that is when Microsoft got rid of the faulty 3 rings of death model for the new current model. ( I had 3 Xboxes get those rings, and my new one is still going) At the peek in January AMD shares where $9+.

Also I've mentioned it before but I think with Twitter IPO what do you think the starting asking price will be? If you recall when google went down for 5 mins last week, it was reported that internet traffic dropped 40% but Bing/Yahoo/Ask didn't see a relative up tick, it was Twitter that went on fire as ppl freaked out. I think Twitter will do way better than Facebook IPO..
    Even though I deleted my Twitter account not too long ago, I always preferred it to Facebook. I'm considering Twitter too along with AMD. It was lcjr who mentioned AMD.
    lcjr likes this.
    08-22-13 05:33 PM
    8/22/2013; 8.8 million in volume; close at $10.19. Regardless of the trading halt, I think, the volume would have been less, than yesterday.

The uptrend line:
    On the 30 minute charts, you can see that I have the green line and a faint blue line. The green line is a re-draw of the faint blue line based on the two low of today ($10.12, and 10.16). Both lines have the same point of origin, and the difference between the two starts on the two black circles. The new green line doesn't touch the candle in the first circle, and touches the candle in the second circle. The faint blue line touches the candle in the first circle, but got broken by the candle in the second circle. In short, this is not my attempt to force the validity of the uptrend line. I think, its validity can be seen tomorrow, because there is not much room left regardless of the lines. The bottom half of the trading range of today will not be a part of the uptrend line tomorrow.

Bullish interpretation:
    - The first low of the day right in the first 5 minute of trading was the same low of yesterday ($10.12). The second attempt to drive the SP down resulted in a higher low ($10.16).
    - Low volume to drive the SP down.
    - Inverted green hammer candle (needs a confirmation as a reversal tomorrow).

Bullish interpretation:
    - Friday, and options expiration.
    - No new news about buy out, partnership, upgrade, etc.

--
    To close this week green, the SP needs to gain slightly above 3.14% ($10.51) tomorrow. If the inverted hammer candle of today is confirmed, then going up 3.14% is possible for tomorrow. Should the SP close below $10.51, but above $10.27, then we are still ok, because this would have shown weak volume to drive the SP down for this week.

Support for tomorrow based on the updated uptrend line: $10.17 - $10.27.

30 minute zoom out:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-08-22-5.51.47-pm.jpg

30 minute zoom in:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-30mz2.jpg

Daily:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-08-22-5.44.19-pm.jpg

Weekly:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-08-22-6.24.13-pm.jpg
    08-22-13 05:42 PM
    On topic of privatization:

When this initially became such a real possibility I couldn't help but think, who cares?

To be honest, I am doubtful that the naysayers and negative media would disappear. The articles would still draw clicks, people would still give anecdotes about only seeing three BB10 devices on their campus all month.

One big thing that came out of letting this digest, I think, is reducing the need for disclosure and transparency. Particularly in BlackBerry's position.

They have refound their origin as innovators it seems and are driving hard towards that. They are also, however, a very small company when compared with the obvious rivals of Microsoft, Apple and Google, not to mention all of the hardware OEMs.

If you are familiar with a basic SWOT you can see where their advantage could be internally as a small, more agile innovator and their weakness and threats externally would be in the resource and overall heft of others in the industry. Being so much smaller, they need to innovate and they need to move faster than the big guys as this could be one of their very few strengths.

The requirement to disclose so much information at such frequency reduces or potentially negates this advantage. All it would take is for Ballmer to be listening in on a call where Thorsten reveals, in simplicity and with concrete language, what and where their mobile computing will be and Ballmer makes a phone call to buy up key assets or something similar. This is where I can't help but feel that the strategy needs to remain vague and nebulous. This is Thor's only reasonable way to give out the information publicly without also giving up their advantage to competitors.

People who are wanting BlackBerry to explain in detail what the mobile computing vision would simultaneously be neutralizing first-mover advantage in a lot of areas. Its easy to now see how privatization could allow their current advantage to remain an advantage until the pieces of the vision are pieced together.

Also, it could mean an smaller, but earlier payout to us shareholders. haha.

Thoughts?
    08-22-13 05:51 PM
    This gives me warm and fuzzies.

So, where's the TAT flare on BB10? | BerryFlow
    Love it! not sure why this isn't discussed more. It's like they're trying to keep TAT a secret or something. Bring on the BlackBerry killer apps! Not sure why they're not here yet, but I've gotten pretty good at waiting over the years

Posted while peeking and flowing on my incredible BBQ10!
    dusdal and Shanerredflag like this.
    08-22-13 06:00 PM
    Well said indeed...I agree 100%. The price is the price and depending on who acquires BB we may be given the option to transfer into that group...I will seriously consider this. I agree they are going back to their roots and innovation into M2M, software, secure comms etc is potentially a huge cash generator, would love to be a part of it.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 06:04 PM
    I can't help but feel that the strategy needs to remain vague and nebulous. This is Thor's only reasonable way to give out the information publicly without also giving up their advantage to competitors.

People who are wanting BlackBerry to explain in detail what the mobile computing vision would simultaneously be neutralizing first-mover advantage in a lot of areas. Its easy to now see how privatization could allow their current advantage to remain an advantage until the pieces of the vision are pieced together.

Thoughts?
    I'm guilty of wanting to have more information about what their plans are. I've mentioned a few times that I don't understand why they're keeping us completely in the dark. Honestly though, your analysis and conclusion actually make a lot of sense. As an addict, it's not what I want to hear, but it completely makes sense rationally. It's so hard to wait though! Some days it gets difficult to stay positive about everything that's going on. One point I'd like to bring up though, just to play devil's advocate a bit, is that by now I would imagine that BlackBerry has all the resources needed to release their "next big thing" or whatever. At this stage I would think it would be too difficult for competition la Steve Ballmer to make a few phone calls to block whatever it is they're planning. Your point makes sense if the ideas and plans BlackBerry has are brand new and maybe just entering development, but I guess I'm saying that I would hope they've moved past that stage by now and are on the verge of releasing/announcing whatever it is. My 2 cents I guess.

cjcampbell, lcjr and dusdal like this.
    08-22-13 06:17 PM
    Welcome back, Morgan! I hope, you are well.
    cjcampbell, lcjr and morganplus8 like this.
    08-22-13 06:22 PM
    I'm guilty of wanting to have more information about what their plans are. I've mentioned a few times that I don't understand why they're keeping us completely in the dark. Honestly though, your analysis and conclusion actually make a lot of sense. As an addict, it's not what I want to hear, but it completely makes sense rationally. It's so hard to wait though! Some days it gets difficult to stay positive about everything that's going on. One point I'd like to bring up though, just to play devil's advocate a bit, is that by now I would imagine that BlackBerry has all the resources needed to release their "next big thing" or whatever. At this stage I would think it would be too difficult for competition la Steve Ballmer to make a few phone calls to block whatever it is they're planning. Your point makes sense if the ideas and plans BlackBerry has are brand new and maybe just entering development, but I guess I'm saying that I would hope they've moved past that stage by now and are on the verge of releasing/announcing whatever it is. My 2 cents I guess.

Good counter point.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 06:27 PM
    Last edited by m0de25; 08-22-13 at 07:13 PM.
    08-22-13 06:40 PM

I think we are all guilty of wanting to know more details of the vision and progress toward the vision.

Posted via CB10
    plasmid_boy and lcjr like this.
    08-22-13 06:42 PM
    My thinking for the second quarter is that we may see a slight drop in OS 10 device sales to consumers and little traction in enterprise trial BES 10 moving to BES 10 service and buying OS 10 devices. This will result in a cash burn and loss for the 2nd quarter ending August 31 and reported September 27th. THE reason for this is because enterprise and consumer segments must work together now as indicated by BYOD policy held by many corporations. The Blackberry Balance feature is a good one, however insufficient. This is why I believe Blackberry had no choice but to take BBM cross platform, so enterprise could use the same messaging for Blackberry, iPhone and Android devices under MDM. I actually believe that BBM cross platform will help with gaining traction in enterprise moving from BES 10 trials to adoption, service plans and purchases of OS 10 devices. If so, we won't see the results now until the 3rd and 4th quarters of this year. I expect continued volatility and would not be surprised if we see the old lows from last fall in the $6 range. Complimentary moves include the recent Samsung deal to factory load BBM on all Galaxy phones sold in Africa. No doubt this will follow for the rest of the world. BBM cross platform will initially be text messaging only. I expect it will (eventually) be followed with more BBM features currently available on Blackberry devices. Disclaimer: I own Blackberry shares.
    kfh227, lcjr, sidhuk and 2 others like this.
    08-22-13 07:13 PM
    Regarding AMD

I highly recomend everyone look at the balance sheet and cash flow statements! A spike may or may not occur with PS4/XBOne.

Would you be willing to hold it for 5 years? I wouldn't.
    dusdal, abouthsu, lcjr and 1 others like this.
    08-22-13 07:45 PM
    The requirement to disclose so much information at such frequency reduces or potentially negates this advantage. All it would take is for Ballmer to be listening in on a call where Thorsten reveals, in simplicity and with concrete language, what and where their mobile computing will be and Ballmer makes a phone call to buy up key assets or something similar. This is where I can't help but feel that the strategy needs to remain vague and nebulous. This is Thor's only reasonable way to give out the information publicly without also giving up their advantage to competitors.

Thoughts?
    I think it makes sense. But I think there is circumstantial evidence to suggest that this is not the case. While Apple does indeed keep everything secretive and doesn't talk about future products except when they are almost ready to bring them to market. BlackBerry, on the other hand, loves to announce stuff months (and sometimes years) in advance. And sometimes they even shelf their announced plans. For eg:

BlackBerry announced cross-platform BBM months in advance. If BlackBerry had a culture of 'keeping things secret' until they are almost ready to deliver, they won't be announcing stuff months in advance. Makes sense?

So, yeah, I think it'd be an awesome strategy to be secretive about your products until you are almost ready and I wish Thorsten Heins was following that strategy but from the way they have been behaving, it seems unlikely that this is indeed their strategy. Otherwise, they wouldn't be announcing BES Secure WorkSpace 5 months in advance, BBM Cross Platform 4 months in advance or displaying QNX Car stuff before signing exclusive agreements. They even allowed people to get the impression that BlackBerry Q10 will be released shortly-after Z10; when Q10 wasn't even slated to come for few months!

That said, overall, I have been in favor of BlackBerry going private. Take it private, develop amazing products without worrying about Wall St's quarter to quarter hyped up expectations. Take away incentive from short-sellers to manipulate and spin every news in a negative fashion.
    abouthsu and Kris Erickson like this.
    08-22-13 07:56 PM
113,256 ... 17731774177517761777 ...