View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Question: If the news of a confirmed buyout or going private is released, wouldn't the short interest and covering drive the SP up some??
    It should but I guess it would depend at what price the shorts got in and what SP the offer is for. Then people may play the arbitrage between the proposed takeout price and current SP while SP moves each day and the take out price may get pushed up. DELL is a pretty good example of how ugly and complicated it could get though I doubt that will be in BBRY's future.
    lcjr likes this.
    08-21-13 10:19 AM
    It's possible temporarily, but if there's a confirmed buyout at say $15 and the stock jumps to $20, then shorting the stock guarantees your a profit of $5. So it won't last long.

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong, I have no idea how shorting works when a company is bought out.
    Many times an initial offer gets revised upwards or another offer comes in at a higher price so it is a dangerous game to play. I suppose this is true with all shorting which is why I do not short stocks. It is very possible that traders will move large blocks for arbitrage purposes if this happens.
    lcjr and La Emperor like this.
    08-21-13 10:22 AM
    Just wanted to throw this out there… I’m still holding my shares and still support Blackberry, so my questioning is due to my lack of experience investing in a company that went from certain success to alternatives of going private or buyout in a very short period of time. I’m looking at both sides of the issue right now, that’s all. Hope everyone is having a good day.
    Me too. I am going to hold here to see if a deal materializes. I will NOT hold going into the next ER. Been burned twice so I will get out and take my loss rather that risk more. I don't trust BBRY to deliver anything other than bad news for at least the next 2 ER's.
    lcjr, La Emperor and m0de25 like this.
    08-21-13 10:25 AM
    Ya, that's a style of value investing.
    That is not really value investing. Value investing is funding mis-priced opportunities with solid underlying fundamentals, recognizing a catalyst for unlocking that value and buying the asset at a discount to the truer underlying asset.

BBRY isn't really a value play because it's not easy to truly value the underlying assets (like patents and IP) because they are somewhat nebulous... and it's difficult to say it's mis-priced as much of the trouble is due to the superiority of some aspects of BBRY's competitors...

-CFOT
    08-21-13 10:31 AM
    TAT needs to push BB10 to the next level with designs like these. Hope that's the plan.

TAT Robbin UI Concept Music Player for Autosteroscopic Screens | BerryFlow
    TAT is what BlackBerry needs to go into BEAST mode in the consumer space. If half of the cool stuff TAT has showcased comes to BB10 then BlackBerry will definitely be talked about in a highly positive light. Heck I am going to gonna out on a limb and predict headlines like "BlackBerry is innovating again!"
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-21-13 10:31 AM
    We really do disagree. I do not see BB as more secure than an iPhone. Many of my people also use the iPad in the field and they work quite well together. Nothing is really secure anymore. Anyone thinking so is just fooling themselves.

I will never get over TH outright misleading the stockholders before the last ER. I bet he sells at any cost before the next one! Sales are in the toilet.

In the mean time we are having another BBRY "buying opportunity" today
    You keep saying this, but why? I think I'll take what this person is saying over you:

BlackBerry cries for help to accelerate BES 10 deployments

"Don't get me wrong, Android and Apple are OK, but BlackBerry is still tried and true when it comes to security," said Melanie Seekins, a mobile architect for a global financial services company that is in the midst of a BES 10 pilot and is evaluating newer devices.

BlackBerry's attempts to partner or be sold will have little effect on the financial company's mobile strategy unless BlackBerry "did something crazy" as a result, Seekins said.

"Most organizations that still have Blackberry don't want to take a chance in losing security of their data on a company-owned asset," she added.

Look her up on LinkedIn, I think she's qualified....works for American Express
    08-21-13 10:33 AM
    TAT is what BlackBerry needs to go into BEAST mode in the consumer space. If half of the cool stuff TAT has showcased comes to BB10 then BlackBerry will definitely be talked about in a highly positive light. Heck I am going to gonna out on a limb and predict headlines like "BlackBerry is innovating again!"
    Does TAT exist in any meaningful sense anymore? I goggled the head guys and they seem to have moved on.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
    08-21-13 10:36 AM
    Does TAT exist in any meaningful sense anymore? I goggled the head guys and they seem to have moved on.
    If the "head guys" have moved on (which as I'm sure you know is very very common with startups that are acquired) would you say that means the company doesn't exist in any meaningful sense any more? If so, then yes, it's gone.

On the other hand, the bulk of the people who did the work are still there, employed, working, as a division of BlackBerry, just as there are such groups in the US, Canada, and elsewhere.
    leafs123, bungaboy and Superfly_FR like this.
    08-21-13 10:39 AM

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
    Very common for them to move on. The question is whether or not BBRY assimilated the worker bees well and allowed them to continue to be creative and innovate or whether imposed the restraints and BS that often come with larger and larger corporations.
    sparkaction likes this.
    08-21-13 10:44 AM
    Just wanted to throw this out there� I�m still holding my shares and still support Blackberry, so my questioning is due to my lack of experience investing in a company that went from certain success to alternatives of going private or buyout in a very short period of time. I�m looking at both sides of the issue right now, that�s all. Hope everyone is having a good day.
    I am on the same page with you and i continue to do so. I have no issue with any one supporting or not supporting blackberry or any other phone company, nor do i have an issue with buying/selling/shorting shares of any company. I would not go to any other company site and bad mouth every millimeter of it 24x7.
    take99, abouthsu and bungaboy like this.
    08-21-13 10:45 AM
    Very common for them to move on. The question is whether or not BBRY assimilated the worker bees well and allowed them to continue to be creative and innovate or whether imposed the restraints and BS that often come with larger and larger corporations.
    The guy who invented BBM just moved to Sweden to work at BB Sweden. So here's hoping a special project is being worked on!

I also think, I'm not a dev, but to this point TAT was tasked with creating Cascades and the BB10 UI framework. I'm hoping they push the envelope further now.
    08-21-13 10:50 AM
    If the "head guys" have moved on (which as I'm sure you know is very very common with startups that are acquired) would you say that means the company doesn't exist in any meaningful sense any more? If so, then yes, it's gone.

On the other hand, the bulk of the people who did the work are still there, employed, working, as a division of BlackBerry, just as there are such groups in the US, Canada, and elsewhere.
    This also applies to Apple. Most, if not all, the big guys from NeXT that rescued Apple are gone.
    rarsen, sidhuk and bungaboy like this.
    08-21-13 10:51 AM
    You keep saying this, but why? I think I'll take what this person is saying over you:

BlackBerry cries for help to accelerate BES 10 deployments

"Don't get me wrong, Android and Apple are OK, but BlackBerry is still tried and true when it comes to security," said Melanie Seekins, a mobile architect for a global financial services company that is in the midst of a BES 10 pilot and is evaluating newer devices.

BlackBerry's attempts to partner or be sold will have little effect on the financial company's mobile strategy unless BlackBerry "did something crazy" as a result, Seekins said.

"Most organizations that still have Blackberry don't want to take a chance in losing security of their data on a company-owned asset," she added.

Look her up on LinkedIn, I think she's qualified....works for American Express
    While I might agree that there is more security on BES, a regular non BES user of Blackberry enjoys no more security than a iPhone or Galaxy S4.

And as far as BES10, I hope you do not think that someone like the NSA does not have access. If they do, then they way they operate, anyone could use them to get what they want. Our government is not very good a keeping any secrets, our poor administration can not even keep it's OWN leaks plugged and they find themselves having to admit more and more each day.

Even BES deployments will not happen on the most part till some stability returns to Blackberry. I can not see that happening before the next ER and TH better have had it sold before then!
    08-21-13 10:52 AM
    Quite a range of views on the patent values.

Posted via CB10
    lcjr likes this.
    08-21-13 11:00 AM
    Since people hate blackberry so much, what are they doing in this thread?
    Oh, they are trying to save me from loosing my money.
    Aha, got it.
    Priceless.
    To add, I can find these articles myself if I want to read them. Don't really need someone to copy and paste for me. My ignore list just keep getting bigger.
    08-21-13 11:08 AM
    Wow short players are playing their remaining cards this morning. Can't wait to see them burn.

Posted via CB10
    Yep, those darn shorts are destroying Blackberry!
    08-21-13 11:26 AM
    That is not really value investing. Value investing is funding mis-priced opportunities with solid underlying fundamentals, recognizing a catalyst for unlocking that value and buying the asset at a discount to the truer underlying asset.

BBRY isn't really a value play because it's not easy to truly value the underlying assets (like patents and IP) because they are somewhat nebulous... and it's difficult to say it's mis-priced as much of the trouble is due to the superiority of some aspects of BBRY's competitors...

-CFOT
    There is more than one way to invest in value investing terms. I said it's called cigar but investing. It is what Ben Graham did an what buffett did in his early partnerships years. I don't know how else to tell you that there is more than one way to approach things.

It has nothing to do with solid underlying fundamentals. There is no rule that says that. Catalysts can be used but others would say that time is the catalyst.

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell, sidhuk and abouthsu like this.
    08-21-13 11:30 AM
    To add, I can find these articles myself if I want to read them. Don't really need someone to copy and paste for me. My ignore list just keep getting bigger.
    I just added one long name residence. I tried my best not to be annoyed by some one with different opinion. I guess i am giving up on couple others now because all they are doing repeating the same last line over and over and over and over and over. I always knew that blackberry is gonna need at least until the end of 2013 or middle os 2014 or longer and they have enough cash to do that. I knew that market sentiments were very bearish about blackberry when i started investing in blackberry and they are still today. I believe in what blackberry has and i will keep buying/investing/swingtrading blackberry. I have been using apple products and i like them. How ever, i am missing blackberry experience and i am gonna get one. I did buy z10 and i like it a lots. Now my son has it and he loves it. I do believe that world does exists out side of north america. Blackberry released 3 products and there suppose to be 3 before with in this year. Stay tuned.
    LoL, i still remember reading in the news about my town years ago, that we have bears blocking traffic and stealing cars.
    08-21-13 11:31 AM
    I just added one long name residence. I tried my best not to be annoyed by some one with different opinion. I guess i am giving up on couple others now because all they are doing repeating the same last line over and over and over and over and over. I always knew that blackberry is gonna need at least until the end of 2013 or middle os 2014 or longer and they have enough cash to do that. I knew that market sentiments were very bearish about blackberry when i started investing in blackberry and they are still today. I believe in what blackberry has and i will keep buying/investing/swingtrading blackberry. I have been using apple products and i like them. How ever, i am missing blackberry experience and i am gonna get one. I did buy z10 and i like it a lots. Now my son has it and he loves it. I do believe that world does exists out side of north america. Blackberry released 3 products and there suppose to be 3 before with in this year. Stay tuned.
    LoL, i still remember reading in the news about my town years ago, that we have bears blocking traffic and stealing cars.
    Even if we do not agree, we drink the same sour mash, "Old No. 7"

All is good, this is still a great forum!
    take99, lcjr and Randeman like this.
    08-21-13 11:35 AM
    Even if we do not agree, we drink the same sour mash, "Old No. 7"

All is good, this is still a great forum!
    LoL, now you just pulled that emotional card. You have some weight there for sure. More Bitter i get, i forget about the rocks and glass, go straight to bottle.
    Now thats the company i should invest in.
    take99 and rarsen like this.
    08-21-13 11:42 AM
    LoL, now you just pulled that emotional card. You have some weight there for sure. More Bitter i get, i forget about the rocks and glass, go straight to bottle.
    Now thats the company i should invest in.
    Good Grief! I thought it was just me.

I use to splash equal water on mine but the last few months the water has just been replaced with more Jack Black. First sip is a little "kick" but by time I get to the AV room, it is tasting Smoooooth!

35 year user here!

I try not to let the "bitter" rule my life but there are days . . . .
    sidhuk likes this.
    08-21-13 11:57 AM
    Sid, I can't agree with you more. I find it very funny for some to think US is the center of universe.

Blackberry doesn't need to sell a lot of phone to be profitable as they clearly have some advantages having QNX unlike others. I don't know how they would materialize their advantages, but I do feel XBBM and BBM channels is a right step into a software enterprise. GL.
    sidhuk, lcjr, cjcampbell and 3 others like this.
    08-21-13 12:03 PM
    It's interesting that besides the Buyout rumor, BB has been EXTREMELY quite about sales outside North America. Honestly, I have no clue what to expect next ER, it's yet another gamble (although TH did state that they don't expect to be profitable). I hope we hear some sort of update however, it's just too quiet...

On another note:

BlackBerry Q5 Available August 24th in Philippines - N4BB

Force India IT chief full of praise for BlackBerry and BB10 - 06 Aug 2013 - Computing News
    08-21-13 12:17 PM
    If you're holding shares, I think it's a no brainer not to sell. The downside is very limited, maybe 5-10% max, but the upside could be 30-100%. The silence from the company is deafening though. No updates on how well the Q10 and Q5 are being received, no enterprise update, nothing.
    08-21-13 12:53 PM
    After re-reading the press release I seriously question the intelligence of the board. Unless a deal has already been worked out they've essentially killed off whatever interest remains in their products.

Of course, knowing Blackberry the release could just have been an attempt to soften the news of Prem's departure from the board.
    1stTry, anon(4086547) and m0de25 like this.
    08-21-13 12:57 PM
113,256 ... 17631764176517661767 ...