View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    It is certainly a risky move, but if it ensures their future dominance in the world wide market, that is expanding rapidly, and maybe hinders some opponents, I can accept it. Walmart thrives where Saks barely survives?

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    I disagree. When they sacrifice margins, they are going down a slippery slope. I hope I am wrong, but is smacks of desperation to me.

Walmart v Tiffany, 5 year chart

WMT Technical Analysis | Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. Common St Stock - Yahoo! Finance
    Bugmapper, take99 and m1a1mg like this.
    08-20-13 06:09 AM
    Thinking about more about this - is this an attempt to dramatically ramp up services numbers before they pull the plug on hardware (because they know that it is likely to come to that point within the next two years?)
    OMGitworks likes this.
    08-20-13 06:11 AM
    Why do you say that? Nothing about their PR material suggests it is anything but a permanent price-cut, if it was time limited generally there is an indication of the time frame to get people to make a move before the offer expires...
    You're right, I take it back. I read the release this morning half awake and I thought it was a promo.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 06:15 AM
    How the market reacts to this (if they do) will be interesting. You've got one half suggesting this is bad,, reeks of desperation and you got the other half suggesting this is a good move and how adoption rate will skyrocket, pressurizing the competition.

I think I agree with CGK on this. It's like as if BlackBerry is already preparing to exit the hardware business and focus solely on becoming a services company. I don't think it's a sign of desperation, not quite.
    08-20-13 06:21 AM
    Thinking about more about this - is this an attempt to dramatically ramp up services numbers before they pull the plug on hardware (because they know that it is likely to come to that point within the next two years?)
    But all their margins are in hardware now...

OMGitworks likes this.
    08-20-13 06:26 AM
    Premarket up 2% .... with 100 shares traded. LOL

Posted via CB10
    What a fool that must have been as it did not last long!
    08-20-13 06:43 AM
    BlackBerry confirms 100 jobs were cut on Monday.

As per 570 News in Kitchener.

I hope it was the whole marketing team.

Posted via CB10
    Bugmapper and Kid Vibe like this.
    08-20-13 06:57 AM
    But all their margins are in hardware now...

Sure but I'm not talking about them literally dropping it tomorrow - this is the scenario I'm presenting - that internally they have concluded that BB10 has failed to take off, BB07 is declining - so yes while the margins are in hardware, they need to increase the volume of services to off-set that because they expected within a couple of years that the drop-off will mean the company will fail anyway - so the plan is that as hardware dies off, services increase.
    Bugmapper likes this.
    08-20-13 06:58 AM
    Without knowing what the competition is charging, I'm inclined to say the BES rate reduction is neither a sign of desperation nor a show of strength... it looks like BlackBerry could not increase market share at premium prices, so they will attempt to squeeze the competition with lower prices. It's not a bad move, if BES adoption rates go up accordingly.

Put it this way: several people suggested BlackBerry use some of the $3.1 billion in cash to buy competitors in the MDM space. This might be a cheaper way to move toward dominating the market.
    08-20-13 07:01 AM
    BlackBerry confirms 100 jobs were cut on Monday.

As per 570 News in Kitchener.

I hope it was the whole marketing team.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure we are going to get the usual "trimming fat, has to be done" but you keep laying people off and the talent in the company who have options start to look at where else they can be working...
    08-20-13 07:20 AM
    Without knowing what the competition is charging, I'm inclined to say the BES rate reduction is neither a sign of desperation nor a show of strength... it looks like BlackBerry could not increase market share at premium prices, so they will attempt to squeeze the competition with lower prices. It's not a bad move, if BES adoption rates go up accordingly.

Put it this way: several people suggested BlackBerry use some of the $3.1 billion in cash to buy competitors in the MDM space. This might be a cheaper way to move toward dominating the market.
    There is a much worse 3rd possibility, they were losing customers and HAD to lower the price as an incentive to keep or win back customers. This is actually what first came to mind for me when I read this, but I am a bit pessimistic. I HOPE this is not the case but fear it is.
    08-20-13 07:24 AM
    I'm sure we are going to get the usual "trimming fat, has to be done" but you keep laying people off and the talent in the company who have options start to look at where else they can be working...
    Here's the quote:

Rebecca Freiburger, company spokesperson, stated “as previously stated, we are in the second phase of our transformation plan. As such, this week’s employee reductions, demonstrates another step forward to scale our company correctly for new opportunities in mobile computing. Our evolution as a company is ongoing and is in no way easy, but we are realistic about what is required to move our transformation forward in a timely manner. We will be as transparent as possible as our plans evolve.”
    08-20-13 07:24 AM
    Today we’re pleased to announce some exciting news for our enterprise customers: effective August 19, BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 EMM Corporate Annual Client Access Licenses (CALs) will now be $19 MSRP a year, or less than $1.60 per month per device.
    Blackberry is just likely months away from some type of deal (when business tech decision making require a good deal of time) and businesses are concerned regarding the future of Blackberry.

It is a bold move; but, regardless of Blackberry's objective, this move needs to have been made months ago to feel an effect.
    08-20-13 07:30 AM
    With regards to the price reduction, it will be interesting to hear from people who have been complaining that the revamped BlackBerry is over-pricing their products., and keeping the margins too high.....
    08-20-13 07:48 AM
    it is good that they cut the price, but at the same time it is not a sign of strength, but it is no secret the sales should be higher, so what else could they do?
    08-20-13 08:00 AM
    I don't think it is going to have as big effect as people think.

They had a list price of around $60 on the CALs, which was absurd as most of MDM solutions were closer to the $20 range. As soon as you mentioned that you were using "xxxx for $20/license", they almost always matched that price...
    OMGitworks likes this.
    08-20-13 08:03 AM
    With regards to the price reduction, it will be interesting to hear from people who have been complaining that the revamped BlackBerry is over-pricing their products., and keeping the margins too high.....
    The complaints on price have been mostly on hardware, not services as far as I can tell, because the handsets are still being treated as the make or break for the company at the moment.
    08-20-13 08:05 AM
    I wonder what competitors are charging if it is $19 too then at least the company is not competing on price.
    Not sure now, but MobileIron used to charge about $4/month/device.
    08-20-13 08:06 AM
    it is good that they cut the price, but at the same time it is not a sign of strength, but it is no secret the sales should be higher, so what else could they do?
    Looking at it from a cup half-full perspective, the aggressive pricing is definitely a good thing if it sparks more adoption. We know that other service providers out there, like Samsung, will drive down the pricing considerably given their scale. Even BB gets more adoption prior to Samsung fully rolling out Knox, then it's a good thing.
    08-20-13 08:08 AM
    Not sure now, but MobileIron used to charge about $4/month/device.
    It's hard to find the right pricing but according to this, it is higher.

MDM Mobile Device Management solutions | Comparison tables - SocialCompare
    plasmid_boy and sidhuk like this.
    08-20-13 08:11 AM
    Think $20 gets them in the competitive range and will make staying with or moving too BES10 a lot easier sales.

That said, I wonder how many IT Departments have already made their decisions...

BlackBerry is still just reacting to market conditions, to be successful they need to be a little more proactive.
    08-20-13 08:17 AM
    Premarket up 2% .... with 100 shares traded. LOL

Posted via CB10
    JYNX

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    08-20-13 08:20 AM
    JYNX

Posted via CB10
    LOL...
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    08-20-13 08:25 AM
    Everyone did notice that the $20 pricing is 12/5 support, not 24/7. I wonder how else this lower tiered plan is different.

Posted via CB10
    sidhuk likes this.
    08-20-13 08:27 AM
    Awesome, u updated maps on Verizon.

God DAMN it Verizon! Off to the leaked OSES today.

And bbry better fix this ASAP with an update prior to the weekend.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 08:29 AM
113,250 ... 17531754175517561757 ...