View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Don't take this at face value as I cannot find anything on the web to back it up but I've heard from someone somewhat close to BB that there has been another round of layoffs today in the area of 700 people. Again, I cannot confirm at this time but just relaying something I've heard.
    Makes me believe the sale is in place and they are getting rid of departments that the buyer will not need.
    08-19-13 02:17 PM
    Makes me believe the sale is in place and they are getting rid of departments that the buyer will not need.
    I hope that is true.
    08-19-13 02:25 PM
    I don't think they fire people before a deal is made public. Would they?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 02:28 PM
    The scale back in production numbers as per news this morning seems to fit the idea if BB intend to sell the hardware division or license it to another manufacturer. They need to scale down their head count. Didn't they lay off a number of testers not too long ago?
    08-19-13 02:29 PM
    Any clue as to the departments?
    Not a clue... sorry.
    08-19-13 02:31 PM
    Somebody does not want the share to fall below 10
    I wouldn't doubt it if some are accumulating with an expectation for a buyout.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 02:41 PM
    I thought the market (and us) had already factored in the idea that BB10 sales have died on their arse - nothing new in that Misek report (well for me at least).
    I figured that but I was/am not that pessimistic.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 02:43 PM
    I dont see them selling there hardware Division out right but i could see them cutting the fat off their hardware division because they plan on licensing bb10 out
    08-19-13 03:06 PM
    or a sale isn't in place and they're getting rid of departments they don't need
    08-19-13 03:12 PM
    If a sale wasnt a going concern then Watsa wouldnt of stepped off the board with some many chips still on the table
    08-19-13 03:16 PM
    Misek's estimations for this quarter are 2 million BB10 and 3 million BBOS? That would be a catastrophic quarter, with the Q10 and Q5 deployed worldwide and the z10 heavily discounted.

3.1 billion in cash won't last long with those numbers. If no offer come soon the SP will fall sharply.
    08-19-13 03:31 PM
    I dont see them selling there hardware Division out right but i could see them cutting the fat off their hardware division because they plan on licensing bb10 out
    You can't license out something that you fail to sell yourself - who would sign that license?
    aniym likes this.
    08-19-13 03:44 PM
    You can't license out something that you fail to sell yourself - who would sign that license?
    In all honestly I still think its way to early to say bb10 has failed. But lets say it has and it has failed. It is still the most secure OS out there. Some hardware company would jump at the chance to license that OS and try to enter the enterprise market
    08-19-13 03:53 PM
    I bought some shares this morning, I feel good about it. Does this mean I am a shareholder on record for BBRY? Will I get a stock certificate in the mail or something? Sorry for the n00b questions.
    08-19-13 03:55 PM
    In all honestly I still think its way to early to say bb10 has failed. But lets say it has and it has failed. It is still the most secure OS out there. Some hardware company would jump at the chance to license that OS and try to enter the enterprise market
    The problem is that the number of handsets you would sell is sub-scale, the numbers don't make sense in a market driven by consumer devices.
    08-19-13 03:57 PM
    My thought too.
    Also, there is no reason to believe that a $100 BB10 phone can't be made and sold by Lenovo for example.
    08-19-13 03:58 PM
    I bought some shares this morning, I feel good about it. Does this mean I am a shareholder on record for BBRY? Will I get a stock certificate in the mail or something? Sorry for the n00b questions.
    Don't feel bad: everyone here who owns stocks was once a n00b and didn't know the answer to that either...

Technically it depends on the manner in which you bought them. Practically it's pretty safe to assume you're what's called a "beneficial shareholder", which means that BBRY itself still has no idea who you are although you do get to vote (provided you still hold the shares as of the record date for the next vote). See What is a beneficial shareholder? for MSC_Industrial_Direct_Company (MSM) And no, you won't get any pretty little share certificate.

(I think I got an actual share certificate for Nortel, once, around the time the stock was finally worth less than the paper on which they printed it.)
    jxnb, nquyen and BlackistheBerry like this.
    08-19-13 04:06 PM
    Random idea...
    How to fix the lack of Apps problem:
    1. Give out BB10 OS to everybody for Free 1 year trial.
    2. Second year charged at 50% licensing fee.
    3. Third year full fee.
    4. Contract lasts for 3 years at which point the licensees can either renew or cancel if they don't sell enough.

Low risk for licensees and low cost to BB, but could solve the Apps problems quickly.
    08-19-13 04:07 PM
    My thought too.
    Also, there is no reason to believe that a $100 BB10 phone can't be made and sold by Lenovo for example.
    That is actually a really point, they knock out very pretty good android devices at that price - however I think that you couldn't quite hit the $100 mark because bb10 needs 2gb of ram.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 4
    08-19-13 04:19 PM
    Why not after the sale?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-13 04:20 PM
    Current unlocked sellers at Best Buy USA: White Q10 (2nd), Black Z10 (5th)

Unlocked Cell Phones - Best Buy
    08-19-13 04:20 PM
    Don't feel bad: everyone here who owns stocks was once a n00b and didn't know the answer to that either...

Technically it depends on the manner in which you bought them. Practically it's pretty safe to assume you're what's called a "beneficial shareholder", which means that BBRY itself still has no idea who you are although you do get to vote (provided you still hold the shares as of the record date for the next vote). See What is a beneficial shareholder? for MSC_Industrial_Direct_Company (MSM) And no, you won't get any pretty little share certificate.

(I think I got an actual share certificate for Nortel, once, around the time the stock was finally worth less than the paper on which they printed it.)
    Peter!

Long time. I was just posting wishful thinking a few days ago about how nice it would be to see if your app sales figures can provide any direction.
    peter9477 likes this.
    08-19-13 04:21 PM
    That is actually a really point, they knock out very pretty good android devices at that price - however I think that you couldn't quite hit the $100 mark because bb10 needs 2gb of ram.

Totally agree 1GB of RAM costs 1000 USD today.
    anon(4086547) likes this.
    08-19-13 04:32 PM

I think the HD screen is an even bigger cost issue.
    08-19-13 04:39 PM
    Totally agree 1GB of RAM costs 1000 USD today.
    Eh? Even in bulk the cost of ram has been raising - there is a reason the sub-$200 devices don't have it because it cuts into margin and most have 512mb. Anyone able to point to a sub $100 that has 2gb of ram?

08-19-13 04:42 PM
113,250 ... 17501751175217531754 ...