View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Take this with 1/10000 of a grain of salt. My friends sister works at BlackBerry HQ and there is chatter that Motorola is interested. We all know who owns Motorola. Again: 1/10000 of a grain of salt.

Posted via CB10
    Anything is possible right now. Although this transaction may attract competition bureau's attention.
    Bugmapper, plane6065 and sidhuk like this.
    08-16-13 07:46 AM
    Anything is possible right now. Although this transaction may attract competition bureau's attention.
    The employee is in management too - not customer service so it holds some weight.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 07:50 AM
    Heins and the $56 million....only if he is given the boot on a take over:

BlackBerry Ltd. (BB.TO, BBRY) Chief Executive Officer Thorsten Heins stands to make $55.6 million if he sells the company and is ousted,"

Bloomberg reported.

It said: "That's the amount he's entitled to receive if BlackBerry has a change of control and Heins is pushed out by the new owners, according to a May proxy filing.
    08-16-13 08:09 AM
    FMR drastically cut their position as of june 30 sold 7.5 million shares off

BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) - Decreased Positions by Institutional Holders - NASDAQ.com
    08-16-13 08:24 AM
    Looks like another one of those swindleg days . . . . .
    cjcampbell and sidhuk like this.
    08-16-13 08:37 AM
    Here's a view from the potential Chinese suitors:

Lenovo, Huawei Both Eye BlackBerry; Lenovo Could Buy It - Techonomy
    The best part of the article and the reality of what will happen despite the US media's propaganda of manipulated lies

A Lenovo bid looks much more possible, and I would bet the company is almost 100 percent likely to submit its name to be included in the initial list of possible buyers"
    08-16-13 08:52 AM
    08-16-13 08:54 AM
    we are down quite a bit today
    08-16-13 08:58 AM
    You would think volume should pickup later in the day if there was a party accumulating shares of bbry.
    08-16-13 09:00 AM
    Lenovo US CEO talks yesterday on CNBC:

Lenovo looking to make a 'berry' good deal? - CNBC

Although pressed by Maria B, he wouldn't comment on BlackBerry.
    08-16-13 09:03 AM
    I'm confused. BMO analyst Tim Long has a PT of $8, yet BMO just added 6,348,799 shares. They didn't have a position prior.

BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) - Increased Positions by Institutional Holders - NASDAQ.com

Very interesting that a lot of banks have added quite a bit as well, notably Goldman Sachs, BAC and TD.
    08-16-13 09:08 AM
    I'm confused. BMO analyst Tim Long has a PT of $8, yet BMO just added 6,348,799 shares. They didn't have a position prior.

BlackBerry Limited (BBRY) - Increased Positions by Institutional Holders - NASDAQ.com

Very interesting that a lot of banks have added quite a bit.
    That's what they do. Tell all the sucker retail investors the opposite of what they are actually doing.
    08-16-13 09:12 AM
    What was their rating on June 30?

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 09:15 AM
    I hesitate to post this, but this is a relatively well thought out short thesis. You may not agree, but it is a theory and I don't think it is totally off the wall. He acknowledges the risk and points out the strengths BBRY may have. YMMV....

Trade of the Day: Blackberry (BBRY) | InvestorPlace
    08-16-13 09:21 AM
    I hesitate to post this, but this is a relatively well thought out short thesis. You may not agree, but it is a theory and I don't think it is totally off the wall. He acknowledges the risk and points out the strengths BBRY may have. YMMV....

Trade of the Day: Blackberry (BBRY) | InvestorPlace
    I rarely click on these links, but did this one because you said that it is "well thought out", but I didn't find any 'thought' at all.
    08-16-13 09:28 AM
    I rarely click on these links, but did this one because you said that it is "well thought out", but I didn't find any 'thought' at all.
    Fair enough. I thought it was fair and pretty balanced. I think the fact that he points to the 30-40% premium being priced in, got 90% of the facts correct and gave some decent analysis made it worth while, but I TOTALLY get it if some don't agree. He also says to be careful here and acknowledges BBRY strong cash position. It wasn't a slam piece, at least in my world view.
    Bugmapper and rarsen like this.
    08-16-13 09:33 AM
    You would think volume should pickup later in the day if there was a party accumulating shares of bbry.
    Unless they have already accumulated as many shares as they want at these prices, and are waiting for price to drop again.
    morganplus8, sidhuk and rarsen like this.
    08-16-13 09:33 AM
    I do not understand your comment.
    BBRY's fate does not rest in the hands of Canadians. Canada is a small market and as you yourself acknowledge, BBRY does better in Canada compared to most everywhere else. What exactly are Canadians supposed to do?

I think if BBRY gets bought out by a foreign entity a lot of Canadians are going to regret not supporting them. We don't have a lot of our own homegrown companies that are recognized all over the world. It's truly a shame bc the devices that BBRY have released, and the subsequent OS updates have been great. I just know in a year or so Canadians are going to look back and wonder why they didn't give BBRY another chance.

That's not to say that all Canadians don't care. Bc the phones are getting a lot of traction in Canada compared to other areas. But, I still hear everyday how BBRY sucks and they hope the company goes bankrupt from fellow Canadians.

As a shareholder, I wish BBRY could do it on its own, and get the marketing team to show the general pop how great the devices are. However, I'm realistic and I realize ppl are sheep. There is such an overwhelming negative sentiment from the media that it's hard for ppl not to be influenced by it.
    08-16-13 09:34 AM
    There is a difference in TALKS and someone implementing a plan to accumulate shares. Let's be honest, no one expects the next two quarters to be good - not sure if at this point anyone realistically expect there to every be another good quarter. So buying shares after a sharp rise based on rumors wouldn't make much sense, would it? Let the rumors die, let the Q2 results come out....

Of course that all hinges on IF there being someone that WANTS to buy (or partner with) the whole company at the price the majority shareholders are willing to accept. How many of those long term shareholders bought at $30, $40, even Perm is somewhere in the high teens. Is he looking to make a profit - sell at $25+? Or is he looking to limit his losses - sell at current (or lower) value?

There is a big difference in what different people value BBRY at, and there would be a COST associated with buying and shutting down the company - IF the buyer were only interested in selling off the pieces.

Example - QNX was bought for 200 Million four years ago and RIM paid four times revenue at the time - a buyer that is only interested in a guaranteed profit is going to look a the QNX division and value it at half what RIM paid for it or less, unless there are some revenue numbers that show they are worth a lot more now or that someone else is willing to buy that one assist at a much higher value. Same with every other assets - you don't get retail value at a yard sale.

Of course if Q2 result come in and the subscribe base grows and they SELL four or five million BB10 devices.... and show that there is a future for the BB10 platform. There is no need for a yard sale and BBRY can ask a premium from anyone interested in a "partnership". If not it will be "pennies on the dollar", and based solely on the real values - not what it might or could be worth.

All stocks are a RISK, too many here fail to believe that! BBRY is a HUGE RISK - either way you bet on it!
    08-16-13 09:35 AM
    Does anyone here really believe that the price that shareholders would accept for BBRY has anything to do with the price that the shares were acquired at? That would be remarkably unsophisticated thinking as an individual investor and unthinkable for a professional fund manager. The value of BBRY has nothing to do with what you acquired them for.
    08-16-13 09:39 AM
    I think he is starting to worry.
    08-16-13 09:42 AM
    Do what I say But Do Not Do what I DO!
    That's what they do. Tell all the sucker retail investors the opposite of what they are actually doing.
    08-16-13 09:45 AM
    Fair enough. I thought it was fair and pretty balanced. I think the fact that he points to the 30-40% premium being priced in, got 90% of the facts correct and gave some decent analysis made it worth while, but I TOTALLY get it if some don't agree. He also says to be careful here and acknowledges BBRY strong cash position. It wasn't a slam piece, at least in my world view.
    Yeah, I don't really care if it is a slam piece or not. But I saw problems in every paragraph (maybe even every sentence).
    For example:
    1) "Slower companies like BBRY and Nokia (NOK) don’t stand much of a chance."
    What does "slow" mean? BB wrote a whole new OS in 2 years, that is the fastest I have seen. Is Apple turning out hardware and software faster? Or is he referring to speed at which BB and Nokia's responded to the new paradigm that Apple created 6 years ago?

2)"well short of the “tens of millions of BB10 phones” that CEO, Thorsten Heins had promised to sell."
    That's news to me, but I think TH had never promised 10s of millions. He was asked how many Q10 would get sold and he predicted that number, far from a promise.

3) "BBRY announced last week (although it was already widely suspected) that the board is investigating acquisition opportunities."
    That's not what they announced! Was it?

I can go on, but there is no point in doing so...

Cheers!
    08-16-13 09:47 AM
    Since it looks like another sideways/slow sink for BBRY with no news today, I'll bid you all a good weekend and hope for good news next week.

Thoughts in my head for the day...

1) I have this sinking feeling that either a buyout, or privatization is going to end up screwing us little guys.

2) If Blackberry gets bought by another company I will not be nearly as loyal a customer in the future.

3) If Blackberry survives as a company and is not bought out or taken private, I suggest we all give Blackberry phones to our families for Christmas!
    08-16-13 09:48 AM
    Do what I say But Do Not Do what I DO!
    Sounds like questrade. I owned bbry shares back in the 7 range. The day before earnings back in 2012 fall/winter q trade encouraged me to sell. They did the same with other holdings in the past that ended up. But the few that I had losses on they never sent me bulletins. It's become a joke between me and my friend that when q trade try to freak you out,go all in.good thing I could care less what they say. They just want your shares cheap as they can buy them when u go to panic sell.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 09:51 AM
113,250 ... 17381739174017411742 ...