View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Someone should write a book about this: BlackBerrians at the Gate.

+++++++

Haha, yeah, but it would be hard to sell a one-page book, based on speculation, hopes, and optimistic view-points; albeit, by a handful of some fairly sharp minds.

BTW: It was Super_Fly that started this shenanigan, so don't give him any more ideas!! We know him, and he WILL act.
    08-15-13 09:09 PM
    Pretty sure TH has already stated they don't expect to be profitable next Q. Unfortunate, but atleast it won't come as a shocker... December and onward is the time to shine!
    +++++++

Yes, but TH almost pegged the last ER as expected from his statements leading up, and we still got a 40% haircut from shorts stomping on our heads.

All said, I don't know of a more exciting time (in BlackBerry history) to be in such a mess! Just sayin'.
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-15-13 09:17 PM
    'Built to make your business unstoppable'. They seem to be shifting their marketing a bit lately away from the keep moving campaign. I like this better, its more directly targetted. As for todays news, it is apparent to me that sales are not doing well and that this fact has prompted them to act this way. Imho at least it should give some of us longs who are underwater to exit or at least reduce our positions with a less stomach churning loss or even a small profit potentially. At this point I am ok with that.
    +++++++

Because "Keep Moving" downward, sideways, or away-from, makes stock holders nervous.
    08-15-13 09:26 PM
    I think Samsung would make an offer. Because -

1. They own most components that go inside a smartphone. From cpu to memory. They can produce devices very cheaply and yet make profit.
    {COMMENT}: Good points, but a huge portion of parts in other smartphones going to Taiwan/China, including chassis/covers being made in Mexico, etc.

2. Their Tizen OS is unlikely to gain traction. With acquisition or partnership with BlackBerry, they can get a headstart; and reduce their reliance on Android. Not only that, but QNX/BlackBerry 10 is (from what I have heard) far superior to Tizen and already has very many apps. Samsung can easily kill Tizen and replace it with (almost mature) BlackBerry 10 OS.
    {COMMENT}: Good point, but where is the co-relation of OS kernels/code between the said? Seems to be a huge endeavor of shuffling either OS to make a presentable product, unless patents and gestures are used for one or the other OS. Perhaps a coder/dev could take this away for us.

3. This gives them entry into many govt and security conscious customers.
    {COMMENT}: Now way! I can't buy into any Commonwealth country allowing an off-shore company having such control. I know Samsung is an allowed BYOD in existing installations, but this opens up a whole new thing.

4. With Samsung's money/marketing and existing relationships with carrier partners, they can push sales of Samsung-Berry devices easily. They were very effective in countering Apple iPhone ads.
    {COMMENT}: Too many thoughts here to even begin. NOBODY is a prolific as Samsung in manufacturing smartphones right now, but just imagine for a moment if android yanks the tarp away from Samsung. What would Samsung really have? I realize this point may open a can of worms, but I often wonder what these carrier relations would look like with Samsung then? Samy would be in a similar position to BlackBerry in regards to launching a new OS to the world.

Posted via CB 10 app on my Q10!
    08-15-13 09:49 PM
    On mobile so I can't grab the thread link, but one of the blokes that digs through the leaks says that in 10.2 there will be a new app world tab (alongside apps, movies, etc) called 'your vehicle ' and this is where automobile applications can be downloaded from.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 09:50 PM
    +++++++

M1a1mg:

Any insight on Samsung attempting a further push to get the DoD nods of approval; namely, with the Knox offer?
    Funny you should ask:

Terry Sherald: Ensuring IT Products Meet DoD Standards
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    08-15-13 10:03 PM
    We make too much of the fact that the government will stop the sale because it is a Korean company, which as far as I know, are in much better standing than Chinese tech companies. First, the Ontario gov gave Huawei a tax credit for setting up a "research facility" in the province. Two, both Telus and Bell have purchased LTE equipment made by Huawei and for use in their networks. Three, Telus supplies the DoD in Canada with services which are on, you guessed it, with Chinese made equipment. Lastly, the CDN gov didn't oppose the sale of our natural resources, Nexen, to CNOOC.

Without making it political, this is the same CDN gov that said "we will scrutinize each deal".
    +++++++

Another helpful post Leafs, but did any of these deals involve a complete solution, including software, that could be back-doored in a worst case scenario, by someone with malicious intent?
    Isn't this part in parcel what happened with the Chinese Gov't shutting the door on MS Windows?

This seems to be your neck of the woods, so i'll take what you give, but regardless of your response, I still find it unrealistic to think that Governments, Military, Police, etc., etc. would allow say, Samsung to have such controlling interest.
    silversun10 likes this.
    08-15-13 10:09 PM
    More from Jefferies' Peter Misek:

�With interest from several large Canadian funds and rescaled opex, we think an LBO is feasible,� he adds.

Prem Watsa, CEO of Fairfax Financial and BlackBerry�s largest holder with a 10% stake, will resign from the board due to conflicts of interest; however, he maintains his support for BlackBerry and does not intend to sell shares. Canadian Pension Plan suggests BlackBerry goes private. Last Friday (8/9/13), Canadian Pension Plan CEO Mark Wiseman in an interview with Bloomberg said that they would consider an investment in BlackBerry if the company were taken private.

Potential players in takeout consortium. Prem Watsa through Hamblin Watsa Investment Counsel (Fairfax Financial subsidiary) controls 9.9% of BlackBerry�s shares outstanding. We believe Fairfax along with other Canadian pension funds and banks are considering taking BlackBerry private. The following Canadian Pension Funds currently have a stake in BlackBerry: Ontario Teachers� Pension Plan Board (0.4%), The Public Sector Pension Investment Board (0.4%), Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (0.2%), The OPSEU Pension Trust (0.1%), and OMERS Administration Corporation (0.1%).

Additionally we believe Canadian banks such as BMO, CIBC, and RBC could be involved as well. In total, these institutions control ~17% of BlackBerry�s shares outstanding. In total, current BlackBerry holdings represent 0.3% of the groups� equity assets, leaving plenty of headroom if they would like to increase their investments.

LBO analysis points to possible $15 take-out price. Our preliminary LBO analysis assumes revenues decline at 5% a year, opex cuts of 20% in FY15 and 10% in FY16 before flattening out, and capex returning to historical norms. Assuming 15% participation by current shareholders, a $15 take-out price, and $2B in debt raised would yield a low-$20s IRR.

BlackBerry: With Buyers a Question Mark, LBO Most Likely, Says Street - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
    +++++++

I can see this, but hopefully not for that take-out price (yuk)!
    08-15-13 10:12 PM
    Maybe I've drank a lot of kool-aid and I don't know if I'm the only one thinking this, but I would really want see BlackBerry continue to do this thing alone as BlackBerry and not under the ownership of another, unless they go private. Would really want to see a partnership to help boost things.

I feel that there are things in place that need time to be completed.

Posted via CB10
    Nope, you are not the only one.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    08-15-13 10:12 PM
    In my opinion, the American consumer does look to celebrities and what products they are using....I have seen more than a few news bits where quite a few well known celebs have the new or legacy devices. To me, this should have been a major part of the campaign stateside, even just a 30 second spot with 15-20 of them in it, at then end maybe 5 of them repeating 'keep moving'. Usain Bolt - Keep moving...this would be gold. Failure on the part of Boulben and co imho.
    +++++++

At the very least, they are the ones who get the most press exposure.

That is why I hope that the Z30 gets launched there first.
    08-15-13 10:19 PM
    ++++++

Amazon/Facebook: Plausible
    Microsoft: Very doubtful, unless they want to break it up and dissolve for competition reasons.
    Huawei: No way. The Canuck gov't wouldn't allow it, unless only for the hardware.

Anyone thought about Panasonic? Think about Pany screens/Lumia camera technology in next BB10 devices, complimented by Panasonic Toughbook technology (already used in major by all Governments, Police, Military, etc.). Seems a good fit, if nothing more than a partnership.
    Note to those who don't already know: Panasonic now uses QNX for their car infotainment systems.
    Not panasonic please ... they are in trouble

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    08-15-13 10:20 PM
    [QUOTE=the_sleuth;9001534]Here's another analyst view, looking at some of parts of what BlackBerry is worth:

Nice estimate from another genius>> 6-13 a share? Yeah, I heard the weather man say today that the temperature was going be anywhere from 5-20 degrees C today....
    08-15-13 10:51 PM
    [QUOTE=Bacon Munchers;9017764]
    Here's another analyst view, looking at some of parts of what BlackBerry is worth:

Nice estimate from another genius>> 6-13 a share? Yeah, I heard the weather man say today that the temperature was going be anywhere from 5-20 degrees C today....
    Exactly why those analysts are only analysts, Their opinions worth just as much as the toilet papers I used each time I visit the restroom. Luckily they get a pay cheque for it at the end of day.
    08-16-13 12:56 AM
    Just saw the Lenovo interview... Seems to me a deal is done hah!
    08-16-13 01:29 AM
    All I see is a lenovo partnership. Not a sale. They couldn't afford the coming price war!

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 01:47 AM
    +++++++

Haha, yeah, but it would be hard to sell a one-page book, based on speculation, hopes, and optimistic view-points; albeit, by a handful of some fairly sharp minds.

BTW: It was Super_Fly that started this shenanigan, so don't give him any more ideas!! We know him, and he WILL act.
    (not sure what a shenanigan is lol)
    But I do act already!

Edit : BTW it'll be the StockBerrians' story !!!

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-img_00000876.png

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 08-16-13 at 04:05 AM.
    08-16-13 03:17 AM
    The interview with America Lenovo president, damn he was grilled with BB questions haha a little encouraging with his responses
    Lenovo looking to make a 'berry' good deal? - CNBC
    Maria needs to get a new BB10 phone
    08-16-13 03:29 AM
    All I see is a lenovo partnership. Not a sale. They couldn't afford the coming price war!

Posted via CB10
    What coming price war?
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-16-13 05:37 AM
    Saw the article about Thor making $56M and I personally don't care as long as I get the best deal for myself. He can make a gazillion dollars for all I care.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR, cjcampbell and sidhuk like this.
    08-16-13 06:07 AM
    (not sure what a shenanigan is lol)
    But I do act already!

Edit : BTW it'll be the StockBerrians' story !!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000876.png 
Views:	716 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	192897

Posted via CB10
    Shenanigans are little troubles and pranks one finds themselves committing...
    slobonthehill and Superfly_FR like this.
    08-16-13 06:09 AM
    Shenanigans are little troubles and pranks one finds themselves committing...
    oh, I'm so Zen ...

I did it again

http://forums.crackberry.com/bbry-f329/thoughts-bbrys-strategic-alternatives-annoucement-post-here-839013/index2.html#post9018604
    08-16-13 06:15 AM
    Here's a view from the potential Chinese suitors:

Lenovo, Huawei Both Eye BlackBerry; Lenovo Could Buy It

By Doug Young | August 15, 2013, 2:34 PM
    As we get bombarded with a slew of quarterly reports from the likes of NetEase and Tencent about their health in the present, I want to turn my attention to the future with a look at an interesting report on potential Chinese suitors for tumbling smartphone maker BlackBerry. The report that caught my attention mentions PC giant Lenovo and telecoms equipment maker Huawei as two leading candidates to buy BlackBerry, which formally put itself up for sale earlier this week.

While either combination would be intriguing, the former seems the most likely, as the latter might meet with political resistance. But I would advise either of these Chinese companies to do some serious homework before considering a bid for a company that could easily be broken beyond repair.

The logic behind a Lenovo or Huawei bid for BlackBerry is quite straightforward. Both Chinese companies are making a serious push into the smartphone business, and have made huge progress by flooding the market with low-cost models. But in order to survive over the longer term, each company will need to move into the higher end of the market, where brand value becomes much more important and profit margins are much fatter.

That�s where BlackBerry can help. Despite its tumble in the last 2 years, the Canadian smartphone maker still commands a relatively premium image due to its pioneering role as developer of models optimized for email functions. After all, who can forget the pictures of Barack Obama constantly using his BlackBerry during the campaign for his first US presidential election in 2004?

Lenovo has said repeatedly that its main future rivals are Apple and Samsung, two of the most premium brands in smartphones, rather than traditional PC competitors like Hewlett-Packard and Dell. It has even made some fledgling moves to cultivate the higher end of the smartphone space. It is currently developing its Think line of products as a premium brand that could include smartphones. It was also in talks to buy the relatively premium smartphone business of Japan�s NEC, though those talks ultimately fell through.

So the questions become: What is the likelihood of either Huawei or Lenovo bidding for BlackBerry, and what are the chances for success if such a bid does come? Let�s start with Huawei, as the chances of a bid from this company are the least likely and would most probably fail anyway. Huawei historically hasn�t been an acquisitive company, even though its name occasionally comes up in M&A rumors. The firm also doesn�t enjoy a reputation for transparency, even though it is trying hard to change that image. For that reason alone, a bid could face stiff political opposition from the Canadian government.

A Lenovo bid looks much more possible, and I would bet the company is almost 100 percent likely to submit its name to be included in the initial list of possible buyers. Unlike Huawei, Lenovo has been a very acquisitive company, making major purchases in Japan, Germany, and Brazil over the last two years. The company also has a better track record of completing M&A in the politically tough North American market, following its landmark purchase of IBM�s PC assets in 2005.

If Lenovo decides to go ahead with a bid, I would give it a strong chance of success at winning the auction for BlackBerry, perhaps at 80 percent or higher. I don�t particularly think such a deal would be wise for Lenovo, since BlackBerry has many problems that would be hard for Lenovo to fix. But those kinds of problems have never stopped Lenovo before, and I doubt they will stop the company this time in its pursuit of a premium name to boost its image.

Doug Young lives in Shanghai and writes opinion pieces about tech investment in China for Techonomy and at Young's China Business Blog | Welcome to Young's blog, China Business news, Young. He is the author of a new book about the media in China, �The Party Line: How the Media Dictates Public Opinion in Modern China.�
    Lenovo, Huawei Both Eye BlackBerry; Lenovo Could Buy It - Techonomy
    08-16-13 06:15 AM
    What coming price war?
    Jekel today I C. Rotfl

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    08-16-13 06:30 AM
    I think if BBRY gets bought out by a foreign entity a lot of Canadians are going to regret not supporting them. We don't have a lot of our own homegrown companies that are recognized all over the world. It's truly a shame bc the devices that BBRY have released, and the subsequent OS updates have been great. I just know in a year or so Canadians are going to look back and wonder why they didn't give BBRY another chance.

That's not to say that all Canadians don't care. Bc the phones are getting a lot of traction in Canada compared to other areas. But, I still hear everyday how BBRY sucks and they hope the company goes bankrupt from fellow Canadians.

As a shareholder, I wish BBRY could do it on its own, and get the marketing team to show the general pop how great the devices are. However, I'm realistic and I realize ppl are sheep. There is such an overwhelming negative sentiment from the media that it's hard for ppl not to be influenced by it.
    08-16-13 07:03 AM
    Take this with 1/10000 of a grain of salt. My friends sister works at BlackBerry HQ and there is chatter that Motorola is interested. We all know who owns Motorola. Again: 1/10000 of a grain of salt.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-13 07:44 AM
113,256 ... 17371738173917401741 ...