View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Another good read if not already posted...

MarketWatch.com
    Says story not found.
    08-14-13 10:32 PM
    08-14-13 10:36 PM
    Opens up on my Playbook.
    08-14-13 10:36 PM
    Opens up on my Playbook.
    I got the same header.
    08-14-13 10:38 PM
    Same deal.. how 'bout a quick copy and paste.. or is it a horrible article?
    08-14-13 10:39 PM
    10 ways BlackBerry beats the iPhone
    By Karen Friar
    Last Update: 4:39 PM ET Aug 14, 2013

Apple’s fortunes are outstripping BlackBerry’s right now. The iPhone maker’s back on the up, as its shares just crossed the $500 mark for the first time since January, propelled by a tweet from activist shareholder Carl Icahn. Its Canadian “smartphone” rival, by contrast, has just declared it’s looking for a lifeline — that is, evaluating its “strategic options” — that could include agreeing to a sale.

But when it comes to products, Apple (AAPL) *doesn’t necessarily come off best. Despite not taking off with the masses, BlackBerry’s (BBRY) *flagship Z10 smartphone — a touchscreen device aimed directly at taking on Apple’s lineup — has several very cool features that has won over a hardcore band of fans. Here’s a rundown of where the BlackBerry handset trumps the iPhone.

— Text by Karen Friar

Virtual keyboard

So what’s to like? First, the Z10 learns from your typing. If you tend to hit “d” when you want “s,” it remembers this: In fact, there’s a hidden, second-layer keyboard under the one you see, remapped to your typical patterns. You’ll never mistype “Bernanke” again.

Other cool things this software can do: It suggests the next word you want and lets you “flick” these from the keyboard into your typing. And, again, it can learn from your history. So if a Trekkie types “Live,” it’ll automatically suggest “long” “and” “prosper” in succession.

People just — including AllThingsD’s Walt Mossberg.

“For a one-finger typist like me, it was faster and more accurate than either of the native keyboards on the iPhone or Android (GOOG) ,” .

Defense Department seal of approval

BlackBerry rules the roost when it comes to the U.S. military. This week, the company revealed the Pentagon has given the green light for Z10 and Q10 handsets to have Authority to Operate (ATO) on Department of Defense networks. Granted, they must be running BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 — but that’s another win for the company, as it’s the first mobile-device-management software the Army has certified.

While this doesn’t mean BlackBerry’s devices get full access to the Defense Department’s networks, it’s a big step closer to that, and streets ahead of the iPhone.

The numbers tell the story: Of the 600,000 phones allowed on the military’s networks, 470,000 are BlackBerrys. There are about 41,000 iPhones, all in testing rather than fully supported.

Screen sharing

Yes, the iPhone has FaceTime. But BlackBerry 10 takes video calling up a notch by letting both people on a call , image or browser at the same time.

But what if you need to enter a password while someone else is looking at your screen? “Turns out this BBM Screen Sharing is SMART,” , editor in chief of the CrackBerry site. “When you’re typing in confidential information, it does not show it to the person on the other end of the line.”

Removable battery

The jury’s out on battery life, until the whole of the BlackBerry and Apple lineups have gone head-to-head. And with the Z10 versus iPhone 5, the Apple handset seems to have a bit more juice.

But the BlackBerry flagship smartphone has one huge advantage when it comes to its battery: You can remove it.

Why does that matter? Well, if you’re traveling, your phone dies and you can’t wait for it to recharge, you can just swap out the battery with a spare and carry on working. Granted, more of a feature for on-the-road power users — but who hasn’t run out of juice at just the wrong moment?

TimeShift

Here’s tricky: Taking a photo with a phone camera at exactly the right moment. The BlackBerry Z10’s TimeShift setting aims to get the best from moving subjects: It rapidly captures a series of images when you click, lets you select a face in the picture, and then roll backward and forward to find the best expression.

“TimeShift is unique to BlackBerry 10 — you won’t find anything like it built into iOS or Android — and it works very well,” says .

Hub and Flow

It may not seem a biggie, but this feature underlines just how much hopping about people normally do between apps on a smartphone — including Apple’s.

The Z10 has what BlackBerry calls a Hub, where people can see all their emails, text messages, Facebook alerts and other notifications in one lefthand-side list. They can check and respond to these without coming out of the app they’re using — providing a way of getting about the handset that BlackBerry calls Flow.

So if they’re keeping track of markets news online, a side-swipe of a finger lets them take a quick glance at Hub messages without missing out on the action.

BlackBerry Messenger

Yes, Apple has iMessage — but the service is nowhere near as popular as BlackBerry Messenger, which helped the iPhone rival move beyond its business-user heartland into the pockets of teenagers everywhere. The downside: BBM was the peer-to-peer communication service of choice for rioters in London a couple of years ago.

Building on that popularity is one of the ways BlackBerry has tried to keep itself relevant: In May, it said it would launch a social network, BBM Channels, on top of the service.

Still, BlackBerry’s edge in messaging is drawing to a close. In the same May announcement, BlackBerry said it planned to introduce a free BBM app for iPhone in the summer — though there has been no sign of it yet.

Watch video from the phone on a TV

Let’s say you caught your favorite activist investor giving off-the-cuff advice, and captured it on high-definition video on your smartphone. With the Z10, you don’t have to have people huddle round to share it.

Unlike the iPhone, the BlackBerry device has an HDMI-out slot, which means you can connect it to a TV or other display with an HDMI in. Then you can sit back, hit play and watch on the bigger screen.

Nonslip case

Where the back of an iPhone is slick, the Z10’s is rubberized and textured. That makes it a lot easier to use one-handed — on a commute, for instance — and less likely to be dropped, calling for expensive repairs.

It could cut also down on typing time, and for some people those extra seconds count.

Common charger

Unlike the iPhone, Z10 can use any standard microUSB charger. That means it’s no big deal if you left the BlackBerry one at home — you can just plug in the cable for your e-reader, or for a friend’s phone, or any other lying around.

Apple handsets have a proprietary port that fit only chargers designed specifically for the hardware. Yes, you can get a microUSB adapter — but that’s an extra cost, even for those who don’t mind the inconvenience.
    08-14-13 10:40 PM
    Opens up on my Playbook.
    Turns out the old tablet still has some magic left in it.
    08-14-13 10:42 PM
    http://www.minyanville.com/business-...als&from=yahoo

Hey, if it gets us some sales...

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    08-14-13 10:44 PM
    Want To Support Gay Rights In Russia? Buy Canadian Products | Editors Pick | Minyanville's Wall Street

Hey, if it gets us some sales...

Something you want to get off your chest buddy??? Lol
    08-14-13 10:50 PM
    Something you want to get off your chest buddy??? Lol
    yeah, I'll take anybody's money.

lcjr, dusdal, cjcampbell and 2 others like this.
    08-14-13 10:57 PM
    Ok gang, calling it a night. I'll be monitoring the SP tomorrow on my 9930 and have my Playbook to jump on the thread if something awesome happens. Here's to a great BBRY day tomorrow!
    08-14-13 11:04 PM

All this investing talk makes me want to see this film...
    Korepab, take99, bungaboy and 1 others like this.
    08-14-13 11:42 PM

All this investing talk makes me want to see this film...
    sadly, I still haven't seen it. Boiler Room is pretty good though. lol
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-14-13 11:51 PM
    Lenovo beats estimates, quick reference again to the fact that they are still actively seeking acquisitions. This and the Robin Chan news might do something to the SP tomorrow

Lenovo Profit Beats Analyst Estimates on Smartphone Gains - Bloomberg

PS. CJ you better watch wall street soon! such a classic

A little more detailed article from bloomberg
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...yang-says.html
    Last edited by slipstream89; 08-15-13 at 12:26 AM.
    08-14-13 11:57 PM
    Lenovo beats estimates, quick reference again to the fact that they are still actively seeking acquisitions. This and the Robin Chan news might do something to the SP tomorrow

Lenovo Profit Beats Analyst Estimates on Smartphone Gains - Bloomberg

PS. CJ you better watch wall street soon! such a classic
    Lenovo partnership with BB... Would be awesome. Either that or a partner with Samsung.
    cjcampbell, Korepab and mike869 like this.
    08-15-13 12:14 AM
    Ok kid might be a bit young but cj I can't believe you haven't watched Wall Street! Love that movie.
    bungaboy and cjcampbell like this.
    08-15-13 01:13 AM
    Duck Confit with sauted new potatoes with fresh basil and Italian parsley from my garden and balsamic reduction......
    Attachment 192585
    Man, I just woke up, but bring me two of those for my breakfast anytime ! #yummy

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing, sidhuk and bigbadben10 like this.
    08-15-13 02:41 AM
    Lenovo partnership with BB... Would be awesome. Either that or a partner with Samsung.
    Give me IBM instead...

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 02:42 AM
    Happy Birthday CJ...

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 04:39 AM
    Give me IBM instead...

Posted via CB10
    I doubt IBM as their cash situation as worsened. Cisco, another suitor, announced that they would be cutting 4000 jobs yesterday and gave a weak outlook.

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing and Superfly_FR like this.
    08-15-13 05:02 AM
    I doubt IBM as their cash situation as worsened. Cisco, another suitor, announced that they would be cutting 4000 jobs yesterday and gave a weak outlook.

Posted via CB10
    I am hoping (and believing) that BlackBerry is not looking for a lifeline as the media paints it to be doing, but rather they are looking for strategic partner that could help accelerate their mobile computing strategies. If this is true, then they must have already approached the appropriate people.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-13 05:31 AM
    1 hour since the last reply. What's going on today?

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-15-13 06:44 AM
    Yesterday was like watching paint dry. Today would be a good day for a morsel of news from Blackberry about something good to stir things up a bit
    bungaboy, BergerKing and sidhuk like this.
    08-15-13 06:57 AM
    I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you. All I can see is stories about BBRY being bought out for $12 - $13 per share [BOX][/BOX]

Yesterday was like watching paint dry. Today would be a good day for a morsel of news from Blackberry about something good to stir things up a bit
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-15-13 07:07 AM
    I took a couple days off... It's my time now... lol That, and in less than 3 hours, I'm officially another year older so need to dull the pain
    Happy Birthday CJ!
    08-15-13 07:08 AM
113,250 ... 17291730173117321733 ...