View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I am. Coincidence is not causation. Can you explain just how these Bollinger bands predicted the press release and special committee for pursuing strategic initiatives?

It's the same with horoscopes and tarot cards. From time to time you will get a seemingly precise hit, but what is the mechanism by which the relative position of planets and stars affect life events on Earth?
    You majored in fine arts didn't you?
    08-14-13 09:27 AM
    This all sounds sensible expect for one problem - where are they? BBRY has been on the block since 2012, so why haven't we seen an offer?
    The company has been on the block since it went public, that doesn't mean that a deal could have been made and it doesn't mean we are any closer to a deal today. I can't understand why so many think no one is interested in the company when they haven't disclosed their terms for a sale. I have my sports car for sale all the time at 3 times what it is worth. Doesn't mean it is "really" for sale. I'm not sure they are "for sale" today, they are open to all offers to do business and will likely chose one of those offers if it makes sense. It is the media that pegs them as being for sale, as if that means anything at all. I hope they do what's best for the shareholders and the company, I could care less if it is partnerships or a sale, just chose the best and leave the rest.
    08-14-13 09:32 AM
    Time for another of my rants! Here's the chart:

Attachment 192409

We have a ways to go here, forget that we gave up our "most of the day" gain yesterday, it means nothing. We had just come off a huge % rally here, we had our 3rd gap up in a row with zero correction and yesterday we reversed on very light volume. If you call up the block trades, 95% of them occur at much higher levels, that's big money stepping into buy shares that aren't going to be flipped anytime soon. We closed a gap yesterday and bounce back into the close to place us just under the 50-dma again. Today, should we close above the 50-dma, which is at $ 11.09/shr, we are off to the races. Apple got some action late in the day and there has been a "pairs trade" with BBRY and AAPL for 2 years, you short BBRY and buy AAPL. That might have happened late in the day, it doesn't matter because a simple close above the $ 11.09/shr mark sets off more buying. This rally won't stop until we get to at least the 200-dma.

Now the media have been absolutely stupid in their valuation of this company. To think that handsets are worth nothing is too dumb to be true. Handsets not only include the best qwerty board phones in the world, with exclusive, lifetime rights, they also include excellent margins, the kind that Nokia hasn't seen in years. BlackBerry is making huge margins on their handsets, they actually beat Apple in Q4 and will likely continue to show similar margins in Q2. Next, BlackBerry has the patents that Samsung doesn't have, just the basic patents a company needs to fend off Apple are so valuable to Samsung. This notion that Samsung wouldn't be interested in BBRY is plain stupid. Even MSFT would love to get their hands on most of BlackBerry, all we hear about is how well Windows is doing versus BlackBerry but no one talks about the huge head start they have versus BB 10. Let's see where BB 10.950 is in 2 years time.

Finally, there is a race on right now to get cheap stock, the group who can capture the most cheap stock will likely own BlackBerry. When you buy cheap, you are in a position to pay large to get the final number of shares to do the deal. If Prem and partners own 40% of the stock under $ 12.00/shr as they might at the end of this month, they can offer much more than the competition to get those "other" shares. If MSFT fails to buy any shares down at these levels they are going to pay dearly for "Prems and Partners" shares. It is so important for serious offers to include cheap shares down here. So anything below $ 14.00/shr is cheap if you truly want to own this company one day.

The other point that the media and so many stupid analysts miss is the fact that companies today don't want an important asset to fall into the hands of the wrong company. That goes for BlackBerry falling into the hands of Samsung or MSFT. Apple could buy BBRY just to close the final door/opportunity on Samsung ever holding the patents needed to compete in North America. They would gain Enterprise, security and what's more important a deal breaking lock on assets that others need to grow their business. I think there are plenty of players who would like to get their hands on BlackBerry. It is likely easier to list those who don't need the asset at this point.

While we see the volume of trading continue to climb, there are the shorts, those clowns who have to replace their short positions, they need cheap shares and that window is closing too. While we wait for BES10, A30/Z30 and X-BBM to come to market, let's enjoy watching the media fall flat on their faces here! GL
    Thank you M+8 I love how you are able to put a bunch on thoughts together and make it flow. Totally agree. Can you imagine if the media printed part of this post ?
    08-14-13 09:35 AM
    Very inetresting
    Rumour only for Canada, but it would certainly add value to their security model.
    08-14-13 09:41 AM
    The company has been on the block since it went public, that doesn't mean that a deal could have been made and it doesn't mean we are any closer to a deal today. I can't understand why so many think no one is interested in the company when they haven't disclosed their terms for a sale. I have my sports car for sale all the time at 3 times what it is worth. Doesn't mean it is "really" for sale. I'm not sure they are "for sale" today, they are open to all offers to do business and will likely chose one of those offers if it makes sense. It is the media that pegs them as being for sale, as if that means anything at all. I hope they do what's best for the shareholders and the company, I could care less if it is partnerships or a sale, just chose the best and leave the rest.
    True story. I have a sports car sitting in my driveway rusting away and hasn't been moved for 5 years. Some of my neighbors thought that it is junk that no one wants it, but they didn't know that I had been periodically collecting notes from the car's windshield wiper from people asking if it was for sale or a chance to take a look at it.
    What's that? Finger painting, basket weaving and Art History?
    What's that? Finger painting, basket weaving and Art History?
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-28713223.jpg
    bungaboy and q649 like this.
    08-14-13 09:43 AM
    Only 60% or two-thirds is required for approval from existing shareholders for purchase of BBRY. Can someone, please confirm?

Hypothetically...unless Watsa has not added to his 9.99% stake, isn't just a 90% approval required for a deal and his stake would be irrelevant?

If I'm wrong, please correct me.
    08-14-13 09:43 AM
    M+8. What does Prem leaving the board suggests to you? Maybe this allows any potential suitor to have candid discussions with the board without .... (I don't get it)
    morganplus8 likes this.
    08-14-13 09:44 AM
    I am. Coincidence is not causation. Can you explain just how these Bollinger bands predicted the press release and special committee for pursuing strategic initiatives?

It's the same with horoscopes and tarot cards. From time to time you will get a seemingly precise hit, but what is the mechanism by which the relative position of planets and stars affect life events on Earth?
    it is true that charts cause no move whatsoever, but nobody claimed that.
    08-14-13 09:46 AM
    Only 60% or two-thirds is required for approval from existing shareholders for purchase of BBRY. Can someone, please confirm?
    i think the 90% is to force the holdouts to surrender their shares, not sure if it is 90%, but there is a high number for that.
    morganplus8 and sidhuk like this.
    08-14-13 09:49 AM
    Just to add my two cents. Didn't TH say last year that they wouldn't entertain "Stratigic Options" until after BB10 was launched.
    I think the jist of it was, selling RIM with BBOS was a losing proposition, but having BB10 launched and viable (even if its not a homerun) makes BBRY considerably more attractive to wider array of potential partners / buyers / Venture capitalists.

PS I read somewhere that Bain Capital might be interested - if thats true, and they buy in, expect BBRY to be a bloated, debt ridden corpse in about a year. ...just saying.
    bungaboy, morganplus8 and sidhuk like this.
    08-14-13 09:49 AM
    Wow ... I think I missed the party yesterday evening. I was trying to catch up on the thread this morning ... I learned more about beer than I did about Blackberry.
    08-14-13 09:50 AM
    M+8. What does Prem leaving the board suggests to you? Maybe this allows any potential suitor to have candid discussions with the board without .... (I don't get it)
    sparkaction!!

Excellent point, he is not there to provide a biased opinion of what is best for BlackBerry. As for giving up the right to influence the board, he now can protect his investment by going above the 10% threshold. I really like the fact that he stepped down, he can always come back to the board with 20% ownership of the shares. I mentioned a week ago that I think all of this was planned from the beginning, going back many months. Heins had to wait to get his shares at $ 9.67/shr and the ASM (July 9th 2013) had to happen to elect the board that will approve of the deals going forward. They planned this from the beginning and it had nothing to do with Q1 numbers. They know where BES10 is going, they understand the margins on phones and the loss of subs as that revenue stream takes over, they aren't stupid. Selling phones with a 38% margin is a good thing, if only producing for Enterprise at those margins, they are happy as hell about that. Too bad the media can't understand how a business runs, Nokia would kill for those margins, instead, they are a bloated company with nothing to offer today. This story is just beginning, we could walk away today and come back in 2 weeks and hear of some crazy news along the way. The media have it all wrong as usual. Thanks
    08-14-13 09:57 AM
    Wow ... I think I missed the party yesterday evening. I was trying to catch up on the thread this morning ... I learned more about beer than I did about Blackberry.
    What happens after hours . . . . . . . stays in Waterloo. LoL
    08-14-13 09:59 AM
    Quite the opposite. I believe in evidence, peer reviewed studies, and the scientific method.
    08-14-13 09:59 AM
    Are we seeing a head and shoulders play out here? I hope not!!
    08-14-13 10:10 AM
    the Bollinger Squeeze sure set up this rally quite nicely. Morgan 8 warned everybody, still people questioning the value of working with charts?
    While I appreciate M+8's great charts and analysis, I say the Bollinger bands and TA did nothing to predict this particular move and will do nothing to control it if there is more important news. Without the news, the stock would not be where it is. News of this type trumps TA in my book. If we amble along then yes, I would look at TA for guidance and at $13.50 or so there is some old support that would seem to be resistance now, but NEWS will move this stock. Just my 2 cents, no offense meant to anyone.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    08-14-13 10:10 AM
    It Has been interesting for sure. Do you think this whole thing could be a head fake to make people realise the true value of bb?

They still haven't finished their transition plan. The whole situation seems stupid as nothing has really changed but everyone is running around like crazy!

Posted via CB10
    Robert Halloran and bungaboy like this.
    08-14-13 10:11 AM
    This is typical of the Blackberry investor... Multi-talented and well versed in multi-culture and all things pursuant to life enhancing endeavors and technological advancements in the processing of herbs. Beer is one of the world's oldest prepared beverages, possibly dating back to the early Neolithic or 9500 BC, when cereal was first farmed, and is recorded in the written history of ancient Iraq and ancient Egypt. Archaeologists speculate that beer was instrumental in the formation of civilizations so discussion regarding it’s applications within our society is paramount.
    08-14-13 10:12 AM
    A real thought, a real reason of share price jump may be BlackBerry 10 are selling well? BlackBerry just wanted to have a partner with a deep pocket to do serious marketing and then concours the world fast !
    Posted via CB10
    I hope that's true. But I think it's less likely. I think a lot of people have been waiting for :

1. Prices to go down or cheaper BBs. Q5 just launched, and prices have only started going down recently

2. More apps and some legacy features. I think 10.2 (coinciding with launch of Z30) is when most important legacy features get moved to BB and (thanks to Android 4.2 runtime) apps become a non-issue. BB World app store has already become very good; and with 10.2, the app-gap will become only narrower.

3. Companies have been testing BES 10 and BB WorkSpace app, which was launched only end-of-June/early July. And with free trial of like 2-3 months. So, I think most companies would start buying BB 10 (and BB WorkSpace app) only after free trial is over. So, bulk of those orders will probably show up in Sep-Dec quarter; not before.

So, given this, I don't think BB 10 are selling any more than last quarter. I think BB 10 sales will pick-up in Sep-Dec quarter though.
    08-14-13 10:15 AM
    While I appreciate M+8's great charts and analysis, I say the Bollinger bands and TA did nothing to predict this particular move and will do nothing to control it if there is more important news. Without the news, the stock would not be where it is. News of this type trumps TA in my book. If we amble along then yes, I would look at TA for guidance and at $13.50 or so there is some old support that would seem to be resistance now, but NEWS will move this stock. Just my 2 cents, no offense meant to anyone.
    hey buddy Morganplus 8 called it based on his charts, hard to deny. from your reply i understand you don't really get how to use TA, that is OK too, not everybody has to use the same tools.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    08-14-13 10:22 AM
    Check this out if you want to get more familiar

http://www.mccarthy.ca/pubs/goingprivateincanada.pdf

It says that 90% of the shares not owned by the bidder need to approve a deal in order to force the other 10% to give up their shares, and "The compulsory acquisition procedure is generally less time consuming and less costly so it is in the bidder�s interest to obtain the 90% approval threshold."
    08-14-13 10:25 AM
    hey buddy Morganplus 8 called it based on his charts, hard to deny. from your reply i understand you don't really get how to use TA, that is OK too, not everybody has to use the same tools.
    Just to add my 2 cents, he did call a break out the last week of July due to the BB's tightening. On the Monday, 5th, it did indeed jump and handsomely. It pressed the BB's for 3 days, pulled back to regroup and again, gapped up on the Friday to press again. This week is totally due to news from Monday morning but the call was correct no matter how you look at it.
    OMGitworks, jxnb, rarsen and 6 others like this.
    08-14-13 10:28 AM
    TA called the press release? They are unrelated in this case. I really don't want to argue, but if you seriously think the bollinger bands produced a press release or that the stock was going to move like it did without the press release, then I think should agree to disagree. It was fortuitous timing at best. I think even M+8 himself has said and acknowledged that News trumps TA, but I will leave that to him.

As for my understanding and use of TA, I won't battle you or your condescending post there either, other than to say that I have been involved in the markets in various capacities for over 25 years. I can be dense but don't consider myself stupid.
    08-14-13 10:32 AM
113,250 ... 17201721172217231724 ...