View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Not sure if it has been posted but HTC is exiting the Windows Phone 8 market. My guess is that this decision was prompted by a combination of HTC struggles and WP8.

Posted via CB10
    08-14-13 06:22 AM
    With no concrete news and all speculation, I don't see the stock having another 8% lift off today, given the bears are trying all they can. I hope we do, but I'm guessing we won't. Ofcourse, the more experienced members can correct me on this.
    lcjr likes this.
    08-14-13 06:28 AM
    Don't forget the 10% vanished at the end yesterday. If we loose today the pop from monday will disappear too.
    08-14-13 06:31 AM
    Well, the last thing Microsoft made that I liked was DOS 2.0. Having said that, I wouldn't mind having a few of their shares along with any offer.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10 root device!
    Kid Vibe, bungaboy, sidhuk and 1 others like this.
    08-14-13 07:06 AM
    Well, the last thing Microsoft made that I liked was DOS 2.0. Having said that, I wouldn't mind having a few of their shares along with any offer.

I'd rather take some of their $68B cash on hand.
    08-14-13 07:27 AM
    I'd rather take some of their $68B cash on hand.
    just sell the shares then
    08-14-13 07:28 AM
    Another fluff piece from Reuters, stating Watsa will not entertain any deals unless he is made whole at $17:

Reuters 8/14/13 400:a.m.
    Article : Watsa to hold keys to a BlackBerry deal
    By Euan Rocha and Greg Roumeliotis
    TORONTO/NEW YORK (Reuters) - BlackBerry is expected to draw preliminary interest from technology companies, buyout firms and Canadian pension funds, but its fate may ultimately rest in the hands of its largest shareholder, Prem Watsa's Fairfax Financial Holdings.

Any serious bidder would likely be hoping to get Watsa, the Fairfax founder and chairman who is often called Canada's answer to billionaire U.S. investor Warren Buffett, on their side .Leo De Bever, the chief executive of Alberta Investment Management Corp, said he expected some of the largest Canadian pension funds, including his own, to look at any potential deals for the company.

Analysts said firms ranging from established mobile phone players like Apple Inc and Samsung Electronics Co to technology giants like Amazon, Facebook Inc, Cisco Systems Inc, Hewlett-Packard Co and IBM Corp, may also be drawn to the beleaguered smartphone maker's assets such as patents or itsnetworkor instant messaging platforms.Watsa hasn't said how much he would want for his stake in BlackBerry. But one guidepost would be $17 per share.
    At this point, I think $17 is a stretch considering the business is not growing right now, next earnings release will be ugly. I am 100% certain the offer will be above yesterday's close.
    Last edited by the_sleuth; 08-14-13 at 07:58 AM.
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    08-14-13 07:30 AM
    Another fluff piece from Reuters, stating Watsa will not entertain any deals unless he is made whole at $17:

At this point, I think $17 is a stretch considering the business is not growing right now, next earnings release will be ugly. I am 100% certain the offer will above yesterday's close.
    I don't see how it is a stretch. Motorola was never really profitable and google bought them for $12.5bill which was like a 60% premium. BBRY is way more attractive than Motorola ever was. A 60% premium would take us close to $20 range.
    08-14-13 07:35 AM
    08-14-13 07:36 AM
    I have been saying for several days now that I think his conflict was his $17 basis and his mixed duties to BBRY and his Fairfax shareholders. How can he do a deal that at less than $17? What is the "right" price for BBRY? Either way he is torn.
    08-14-13 07:38 AM
    I don't see how it is a stretch. Motorola was never really profitable and google bought them for $12.5bill which was like a 60% premium. BBRY is way more attractive than Motorola ever was. A 60% premium would take us close to $20 range.
    Hypothetically...unless Watsa has not added to his 9.99% stake, isn't just a 90% approval required for a deal and his stake would be irrelevant?

If I'm wrong, please correct me.
    08-14-13 07:39 AM
    That was with Google money at a time of hightened patent wars. Thus an extra 60% is chump change and necessary do the atmosphere of litigation. I'm sure someone knows how many days it takes Google to earn and pay the 60% premium.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    08-14-13 07:40 AM
    At the time, Google overpaid to touch up Samsung, continue its growth, and also at that time the patent valuation bubble was at it's height. BBRY doesn't offer a competitive advantage or defense like Motorola did to Google, and now the patent valuations have come way down, both of which will hurt any offer BBRY might get. The Google purchase is now widely seen as a vast overpayment. Other companies will be cautious of making the same mistake. Best hope for a decent buyout is still a Canadian consortium.
    Tinomane likes this.
    08-14-13 07:42 AM
    Hypothetically...unless Watsa has not added to his 9.99% stake, isn't just a 90% approval required for a deal and his stake would be irrelevant?

If I'm wrong, please correct me.
    he can add to that at any time, before any vote, what the status is today, is irrelevant
    08-14-13 07:43 AM

Man, you are old! hehe...
    I started with MS-DOS 5.0, it was a great time to learn computer stuff. Lots of swap meets to exchange/buy parts and lots of interesting stuff exchanged on bulletin boards. The good old days....
    Bugmapper, bungaboy, lcjr and 2 others like this.
    08-14-13 07:56 AM
    Time for another of my rants! Here's the chart:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bbry-august-14-2013-chart.jpg

We have a ways to go here, forget that we gave up our "most of the day" gain yesterday, it means nothing. We had just come off a huge % rally here, we had our 3rd gap up in a row with zero correction and yesterday we reversed on very light volume. If you call up the block trades, 95% of them occur at much higher levels, that's big money stepping into buy shares that aren't going to be flipped anytime soon. We closed a gap yesterday and bounce back into the close to place us just under the 50-dma again. Today, should we close above the 50-dma, which is at $ 11.09/shr, we are off to the races. Apple got some action late in the day and there has been a "pairs trade" with BBRY and AAPL for 2 years, you short BBRY and buy AAPL. That might have happened late in the day, it doesn't matter because a simple close above the $ 11.09/shr mark sets off more buying. This rally won't stop until we get to at least the 200-dma.

Now the media have been absolutely stupid in their valuation of this company. To think that handsets are worth nothing is too dumb to be true. Handsets not only include the best qwerty board phones in the world, with exclusive, lifetime rights, they also include excellent margins, the kind that Nokia hasn't seen in years. BlackBerry is making huge margins on their handsets, they actually beat Apple in Q4 and will likely continue to show similar margins in Q2. Next, BlackBerry has the patents that Samsung doesn't have, just the basic patents a company needs to fend off Apple are so valuable to Samsung. This notion that Samsung wouldn't be interested in BBRY is plain stupid. Even MSFT would love to get their hands on most of BlackBerry, all we hear about is how well Windows is doing versus BlackBerry but no one talks about the huge head start they have versus BB 10. Let's see where BB 10.950 is in 2 years time.

Finally, there is a race on right now to get cheap stock, the group who can capture the most cheap stock will likely own BlackBerry. When you buy cheap, you are in a position to pay large to get the final number of shares to do the deal. If Prem and partners own 40% of the stock under $ 12.00/shr as they might at the end of this month, they can offer much more than the competition to get those "other" shares. If MSFT fails to buy any shares down at these levels they are going to pay dearly for "Prems and Partners" shares. It is so important for serious offers to include cheap shares down here. So anything below $ 14.00/shr is cheap if you truly want to own this company one day.

The other point that the media and so many stupid analysts miss is the fact that companies today don't want an important asset to fall into the hands of the wrong company. That goes for BlackBerry falling into the hands of Samsung or MSFT. Apple could buy BBRY just to close the final door/opportunity on Samsung ever holding the patents needed to compete in North America. They would gain Enterprise, security and what's more important a deal breaking lock on assets that others need to grow their business. I think there are plenty of players who would like to get their hands on BlackBerry. It is likely easier to list those who don't need the asset at this point.

While we see the volume of trading continue to climb, there are the shorts, those clowns who have to replace their short positions, they need cheap shares and that window is closing too. While we wait for BES10, A30/Z30 and X-BBM to come to market, let's enjoy watching the media fall flat on their faces here! GL
    08-14-13 07:59 AM
    Man, you are old! hehe...
    I started with MS-DOS 5.0, it was a great time to learn computer stuff. Lots of swap meets to exchange/buy parts and lots of interesting stuff exchanged on bulletin boards. The good old days....
    Hey ! I started with Punch cards and machine language..... not much to trade.
    08-14-13 08:08 AM
    As much as people on CB hate Apple, joining forces would be sweet. Of course, Apple, the cretins they are, won't exactly leave BlackBerry the way it is, they'll probably take what they want and leave the rest of the pieces to rot.

Posted via CB10
    lcjr and BergerKing like this.
    08-14-13 08:10 AM
    Hey ! I started with Punch cards and machine language.
    Yeah, I have heard of that in computing classes...LOL.
    When I was a grad student, I disassembled a $50K Vax machine (computer using reel tape) and trashed it while my advisory professor was away on vacation. He loved that machine, but it was useless (we had SGI Indigo and Butane machines at the time).
    Bugmapper and bungaboy like this.
    08-14-13 08:13 AM
    Time for another of my rants! Here's the chart:
    Awesome post M8!
    Love it!
    08-14-13 08:16 AM
    You had punch cards? Wow high tech!
    We had cards but no punch.
    We had to mark the little bubbles with a pencil like when you buy a lottery ticket.

Posted via CB10
    Bugmapper, bungaboy and BergerKing like this.
    08-14-13 08:18 AM
    08-14-13 08:19 AM
    Regression analysis on punch cards for me....
    Bugmapper, bungaboy and BergerKing like this.
    08-14-13 08:21 AM
    Prem Watsa is the key:

Although it remains too early to tell determined buyers from window-shoppers, sources familiar with the situation said some of the world’s largest private equity firms, including Bain Capital LLC, KKR & Co LP and Carlyle Group LP, are expected to look at BlackBerry when the company launches a sale process.

Leo De Bever, the chief executive of Alberta Investment Management Corp, said he expected some of the largest Canadian pension funds, including his own, to look at any potential deals for the company.

Analysts said firms ranging from established mobile phone players like Apple Inc and Samsung Electronics Co to technology giants like Amazon.com Inc, Facebook Inc, Cisco Systems Inc, Hewlett-Packard Co and IBM Corp, may also be drawn to the beleaguered smartphone maker’s assets such as patents or its network or instant messaging platforms.

BlackBerry Ltd deal may rest in hands of largest shareholder Prem Watsa | Financial Post
    bungaboy, sidhuk, rarsen and 3 others like this.
    08-14-13 08:22 AM
    Fortran IV Baby!
    plasmid_boy and Randeman like this.
    08-14-13 08:24 AM
113,250 ... 17181719172017211722 ...