View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Ok shorts don't cover but either way blackberry will be sold much higher then todays price. Play your games and run around cut and pasting whatever articles you want I doubt you will get anyone here to sell. Anyhow going out to spend some money and enjoy life. Have fun everyone.
    My 500 shares I am sitting on, and taking ALL of the shares likely held by EVERYONE who posts here, isn't enough to move the price much even if we tried. 126 M shares traded today. It looks like the damage was done by about 3M shares at the very end of the day. That is a lot of shares and money being thrown around.

Good luck to all, tomorrow will be a telling day. Can we bounce back or does the rally fade???? My 5000 shares are held until $15 and then I think about getting out whole....
    08-13-13 03:22 PM
    Apple gets a huge amount of money from Carl Icahn, turns around and buys up BBRY for key patents/gov contracts/enterprise market share?
    08-13-13 03:26 PM
    In all fairness about that report... It was 2012 and BB had no new products out (yet) and was considered Dead! Now, BB has several products out, more cash on hand, DoD approval, BES10, BBM, etc... I'm sure now companies will seek interest this time around... Too bad the media is going to bring up that last report during 2012... Completely different situation.
    08-13-13 03:27 PM
    That Bloomberg story is nothing new. Can't see that being a catalyst for the drop.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy, sidhuk and m1a1mg like this.
    08-13-13 03:28 PM
    In all fairness about that report... It was 2012 and BB had no new products out (yet) and was considered Dead! Now, BB has several products out, more cash on hand, DoD approval, BES10, BBM, etc... I'm sure now companies will seek interest this time around... Too bad the media is going to bring up that last report during 2012... Completely different situation.
    Read it again - it's since 2012 not that they looked and stopped.
    Kid Vibe likes this.
    08-13-13 03:30 PM
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-article_img.jpg

Even german media mentioned after 3:00 am that Icahn invested in apple
    This guy looks hilarious.
    Kid Vibe and Bacon Munchers like this.
    Apple gets a huge amount of money from Carl Icahn, turns around and buys up BBRY for key patents/gov contracts/enterprise market share?
    1. Apple didn't get any money from Icahn

2. Apple wouldn't need help to buy BBRY if they wanted BBRY
    peter9477 likes this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	article_img.jpg 
Views:	818 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	192241

Even german media mentioned after 3:00 am that Icahn invested in apple
    This guy looks hilarious.
    Almost . . . . . . Trump like.
    lcjr likes this.
    08-13-13 03:32 PM
    lol apple could buy blackberry with their quarterly profit, actually not a bad deal for them, they need to spend cash anyway instead of letting it all sit offshore

08-13-13 03:35 PM
    Up 1.7% or $0.19 to $11.32 CAD on TSX. After all was said and done. Still not too bad.
    lcjr, sidhuk, abouthsu and 7 others like this.
    08-13-13 03:37 PM
    For 1.7% I definitively spend too much time watching the stock. I allow myself a third Paulaner and got to bed. Have a nice evening.
    08-13-13 03:43 PM
    Up 1.7% or $0.19 to $11.32 CAD on TSX. After all was said and done. Still not too bad.
    Damn straight!! We're on a roll here and need it to continue.
    08-13-13 03:44 PM
    For 1.7% I definitively spend too much time watching the stock. I allow myself a third Paulaner and got to bed. Have a nice evening.
    Man, it's been over a year since I've had a Paulaner beer. Ah, good stuff. Well, back to my Bud Light tonight. hahaha.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-13-13 03:46 PM
    A stock like BBRY with so many speculators on both sides and with opposing views of equal conviction will rarely make moves in either direction without fits and starts. News helps stimulate buying or selling activity but then investors end up duking it out to settle on a new perceived value for the equity. I'm quite certain that some investors, eager to curtail realized losses, had placed limit orders to sell and that some of those sell orders were triggered during today's session. I'm also sure that some shorts might have taken new positions, skeptical of the recent rally and BBRY's various strategies.

As a show of optimism, I wanted to point out another company--one that shares more in common with BlackBerry than a nearly identical stock symbol. The company is Best Buy (BBY). If you google "Best Buy going private", you will see a number of hits. Here is a smattering of sample headlines:

"Dell and Best Buy--Going Private Can Be Risky"
    "Best Buy: Go Private or Die?"
    "Best Buy takeover play ends..."
    "Time for Best Buy to finally go private?"
    "Why Going Private Won't Solve All of Best Buy's Challenges"
    "The Case for...taking Best Buy Private"

Now, those articles span roughly the past year, during which Best Buy SP went from about $20 to $11.20. At its nadir, articles declared (google "Best Buy dead"):

"Why Best Buy is Going out of Business...Gradually" (Forbes)
    "Best Buy's Unlikely Return From the Dead" (Time)
    "Is Best Buy's big-box business model dead?" (The Week)

The final article declares (through references to other articles): "The era of big-box retail dominance is coming to an end" (Bloomberg Businessweek); that Best Buy has "deep structural flaws"; and that big-box retail is having a "mid-life crisis".

Meanwhile, the stock hits its 1-year low of $11.20 on 12/27/2012 and has pretty much rallied ever since. Today, it closed at $30.86.
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-bby-20130813.jpg

I am in no way suggesting that BBRY will follow BBY's course--but I am saying that there was a time when people were beginning to put nails in the Best Buy coffin before its lid was blown off. I understand that Best Buy does have real challenges, but it's a great case study of a company that was being threatened with obsolescence/extinction and figured out a way to survive--dare I say thrive.

I don't want to get into a dissertation here regarding the intrinsic value of BBRY versus BBY, but I wanted to contribute a post--especially for investors who might not have had much investment experience outside of BBRY--that shows a recent case of a company that was at one point left for dead, was reviled by many on Wall Street, and ultimately prevailed.

Now let's all inhale as deeply as possible and do a collective exhalation that will blow the lid off the BBRY coffin once and for all!
    08-13-13 04:02 PM

Apple gained 10B in market cap today. BBRY is valued at about 6B in total. They aren't comparable.
    08-13-13 04:05 PM
    Today is the seventh day of uptrend. 112 million in volume, and it closed at $10.92. The action today is quite a mix. At one point, the SP was forming a pennant, but it broke $11.75, and changed into a descending triangle (5 minute chart). It confirmed the pattern with the drop close to 3 p.m. This drop was pretty steep, which seems to coincide with the news of Icahn increasing his position with AAPL. Nevertheless, it bounced off $10.75, which is a support line, and closed at $10.92. $0.02 away from $10.94 resistance, and $0.16 away from being at MA 50.

Bullish interpretation:
    The SP bounced at $10.75 support, and we are oversold on the 30 minute chart. RSI on the daily chart is at 63, and has not reached overbought level. Weekly chart is bullish; all indicators are cycling up. Scotia Capital issued an upgrade to outperform.

Bearish interpretation:
    Failed to close above MA 50 at $11.08. MACD and Stoch. RSI on the daily chart are going to cycle down for a few days.

--

At this point, I think, the SP is still somewhat bullish despite the sell off today, which was quite odd. It seemed that the trigger was the Icahn news. And as I am typing this, I see that the SP in AH has gone back to $11.10 range. A volatile stock, it is.

5 minute:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-08-13-4.20.39-pm.jpg

30 minute:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-08-13-4.18.12-pm.jpg

Daily:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-08-13-4.17.34-pm.jpg

Weekly:
    The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-screen-shot-2013-08-13-4.37.54-pm.jpg
    08-13-13 04:06 PM
    This looks encouraging:

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-ah10.jpg
    08-13-13 04:12 PM
    Well CJ and Bungaboy, rolled back into Ottawa around 3:00 today. Man, we really enjoyed PEI! I can't believe we made a whole island just for motorcycles. It was a great trip. CJ, I saw what you meant. By the time I left PEI, I was b^lls- deep in Campbells ( not literally).
    Can't believe what's going on with BlackBerry. Looks like I might need to double down yet again.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 04:27 PM
    maybe this
    As BlackBerry Explores Sale, Short Sellers Stick To Their Guns - Forbes
    What caused the flash crash late this afternoon on BB?

https://www.google.ca/finance?q=TSE%...qi8LZLuqwGugAE

Why is BB trading higher after hours and large volumes?

BlackBerry Limited After Hours Trading - NASDAQ.com

Are there any after hours newsworthy articles (I did not find any)?

Thanks.
    08-13-13 04:34 PM
    Has anyone given thought to the idea of Rogers or Bell making the purchase? Both could afford to and both could benefit from it. Rogers seems to have taken a run at MDM and this would fit into their plan quite nicely.
    08-13-13 04:37 PM
    Has anyone given thought to the idea of Rogers or Bell making the purchase? Both could afford to and both could benefit from it. Rogers seems to have taken a run at MDM and this would fit into their plan quite nicely.
    Does the purchaser have a say in how they company is run and how/what type devices are to come out in the future? What about the software? Does the purchaser have a say in how it's developed and implemented? If so, could these two companies handle all this? I'm not really familiar with them so I'm just asking.
    BergerKing and sidhuk like this.
    08-13-13 04:43 PM
    Does the purchaser have a say in how they company is run and how/what type devices are to come out in the future? What about the software? Does the purchaser have a say in how it's developed and implemented? If so, could these two companies handle all this? I'm not really familiar with them so I'm just asking.
    If they buy the company, they have complete say in how the company is run...
    lcjr, BergerKing and sidhuk like this.
    08-13-13 04:45 PM
    Short volume today:

08-13-13 04:46 PM
    Starting to get kinda sorta boring in here.
    Can we please invite some trolls here today?

Be careful what you ask for....
    lcjr, m1a1mg, bungaboy and 10 others like this.
    08-13-13 04:46 PM
    BBRY has run-up too quickly. It has to build a base. But I think it will close the gap from last quarterly results. The technicals look strong. Gap will be closed this week or next week.

Wondering if money flowing out of bbry and into aapl.
    morlock_man likes this.
    08-13-13 04:47 PM
113,256 ... 17131714171517161717 ...