View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    How awesome would it be if we hit 14 by friday and the DoD announces some huge BB order... woo. Here's to the hope.

Also, one thing I find interesting is that BB's facebook page is growing... It's almost now at 29M (looks like it can hit 30 by next year). Are they buying likes or are people just liking the company more and more?
    StormieTwo, lcjr, bungaboy and 3 others like this.
    08-13-13 12:04 PM
    I heard many people have lost money because of stops, because share price dropped too rapidly on june 28th. People had stops in $14 range but the shares were sold in $12 range. Not sure if it is possible?
    Yeah, that can happen on rapid drops. I'll set stops in case it drops a bit. Here's another thought going through my head. I lost out last time because I didn't do this. If I sold my shares today at $11.84 I'll only be down $1,363. If the price drops back town to $9 I'll pick up 476 shares which will be worth $5,635 once it reaches $11.84 again. I'd actually be ahead by $1,000 instead of being down by $1,363. Make since?

Problem is I'm not sure the SP will drop that low again and I don't want it to. But that's what I said last time.
    sidhuk likes this.
    08-13-13 12:08 PM
    Yeah, that can happen on rapid drops. I'll set stops in case it drops a bit. Here's another thought going through my head. I lost out last time because I didn't do this. If I sold my shares today at $11.84 I'll only be down $1,363. If the price drops back town to $9 I'll pick up 476 shares which will be worth $5,635 once it reaches $11.84 again. I'd actually be ahead by $1,000 instaed of being down by $1,363. Make since?
    It's your call bud! I have no idea what to expect. I just sit and hold for now... The only way I can see this going back down is if the sale rumors are just infact, rumors and nothing happens and we are back with a crappy ER next Q.
    08-13-13 12:10 PM
    The shorts are out screaming every stupidity and distorted logic they can think of in hopes someone is stupid enough to sell at today's ridiculously depressed book value all the while knowing $18 plus a premium will be the end result with in the next two months time frame. Smart shorts have covered and went long

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-13-13 12:13 PM
    It's your call bud! I have no idea what to expect. I just sit and hold for now... The only way I can see this going back down is if the sale rumors are just infact, rumors and nothing happens and we are back with a crappy ER next Q.
    yep, I'll sit and hold as well. Just thoughts going through my head. But you're right, if nothing comes of this then the SP will adjust accordingly.
    08-13-13 12:15 PM
    I've mentioned it before that breaking up the company would unlock the value of each of BB's assets. It would seem like this is possible.
    But before I go any further, there were two things that I gathered some opinions and answers from others before I come up with this theory of mine.

1. DoD ATO announcement was just made. BB would not want to **** off their biggest customer and create uncertainty. DoD must have been made aware of the forthcoming events and was given assurance that at least MDM and NOC are to stay with BB's hands.
    2. Prem Watsa resigning..that was the tricky one. One scenario brought up was Fairfax could be accumulating, and the same time raising capital with potential partners to take BB private. I don't like this idea and won't support it unless the takeout price is northwards of $25. A second scenario may also be that because of his vast holdings on numerous companies, one potential partner may cause that conflict of interest for him so hence the resignation.

So with those things in mind, here's some possible play that I'm hoping may happen.

1. Lenovo licenses the handsets either exclusively or with another vendor like Sony. Lenovo has done it with IBM so they can do it again with BB. The BB brand stays relevant, while BB concentrates on who they work on best, the enterprise. BB gets the licensing fee, of course. This is not really new as it have been discussed numerous times here and other blogs I read.

2. Make BBM a subsidiary of BB and partner it with Samsung to accelerate adoption. The SA announcement was very intriguing. IPO once critical #'s are achieved.

3. IP gets monetized and managed by an NPE i.e. Acacia in a multi-corporation deal with either Google, Ebay, Verisign or Amazon or all. Those ECC patents from Certicom are becoming so important as the fall of RSA is within reach and predicted. The fall of RSA may never happen but start licensing ECC while it's hot off the press. Adding to the renewed interest in patents as Morgan pointed out, is the ongoing battle between Apple and Samsung and with the president vetoing the ITC verdict. Talk about fair play here, not. If you think there is no money in IP licensing, check out Qualcom and IBM. You'll be surprised how many billions of dollars they rake in just for licensing alone.

4. QNX and future devices ( not smartphones ) to partner or work closely with Cisco. If you check out Cisco's vision of "Internet of Things " QNX powered devices fits the bill. The attempt to put in QNX on small form devices is proven by the BB10 concept. It's solid and secure when working with BES10. QNX powered devices will be the front end where data is gathered with possible human interaction, while Cisco does the heavy lifting and routing of the data on the back end. QNX is a good fit because of their presence in so many vertical markets.

5. MDM, BES10, legacy services, and (perhaps an upgrade to BIS ) all stays with Blackberry. If they could announce an OTA deal for any of the car manufacturers, it would bolster their chances of becoming just pure SAS. This would fall in line with Misek's assessment.

6. Finally, the long shot from them all is Intel. It wanted to go into mobile devices for years hoping to power them up with their own processors. They've been unsuccessful with their own brand phones so far. Also it was caught supporting the losing 4G technology race, Wimax causing it money and further delays in its plans. So how far do you think Intel will go after BB if a bidding war starts, it's anyone's guess. I know they are involved with Tizen too but whether that will gain any traction, who knows. With the pc market dwindling year after year Intel needs to make a move. Another reason they maybe interested with BB is because of QNX. Intel already owns WindRiver which rivals QNX, so they can end up with two of the most popular of real time operating systems. If it happens, they can work with Cisco with their vision of Internet of Things. Lots of devices to be deployed with Intel processors.

Anyway, hopefully some of it comes to fruition. I'm just gonna enjoy the ride like most of you and hope we get some answers before the longs days of summer are over. It could get dark and shadowy come fall time here....
    08-13-13 12:20 PM
    it looks like we've leveled off for the afternoon. the short calls that went out this morning based on yesterdays rise have been filled.
    Tomorrow morning there will be more short calls based on the rise today and that should but us over 12/shr. i hope.
    08-13-13 12:26 PM
    lol just a couple of days ago you said the shorts were winning, I call BS

I support bbry and i buy shares! This is an awesome feeling. Glad i got back in last week. Its not too late. Watsa is amazing he only makes money. Lets not bet against him
    08-13-13 12:26 PM
    lol just a couple of days ago you said the shorts were winning, I call BS
    Lol I know. Been seeing a few always negative anti BlackBerry people now suddenly more positive.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-13-13 12:29 PM
    I think value of BlackBerry WorkSpace app and value of BBM Cross-Platform hasn't been factored in.

BlackBerry WorkSpaces - companies would be installing this app on their employee's non-BB devices. Android/iPhones. So, even if 75% of all employees decided to use iPhone/Android, it doesn't mean that BlackBerry would lose 75% of its revenue from that company. On the contrary, BlackBerry would continue to make money on non-BB devices as well.

Yes, there are some other companies in MDM space but nothing comes close to BB WorkSpace app. And BlackBerry doesn't need to do a lot to make it a success. BES is already installed in most F500 companies. Even if 50% of them upgraded to BES 10 / BB WorkSpace app, it'd ensure that BB's enterprise revenue don't decline.

Cross Platform BBM - BBM is now more than instant-messaging. It has video, voice and (very importantly) channels. Messaging/Voice/Video makes it similar to Skype. Channels makes it similar to Instagram+Twitter.
    • Skype alone was valued at $8.5B when it was bought.
    • Twitter is said to be valued at $11B+.
    • WhatsApp was said to be over $1B too and it doesn't have voice, video; nor does it have channels.

If cross-platform BBM spreads like wildfire, then BBM alone should command a value that's inbetween Skype/Twitter or perhaps (at best) Skype+Twitter combined. And I think BBM CrossPlatform will indeed spread like wildfire. That's MY big assumption here. If this does not turn out to be true, then following calculations obviously fall flat. But come on, there are over 70M current BBM users. If they all got even 3-4 of their friends to download/install BBM, BBM would cross 300M users in total, in a very very short time.

So, Cross Platform BBM should (at the very minimum) easily add $10/share value. Similarly, BB WorkSpaces/MDM solution should also add something to book value. Now, a deal is not going to get done overnight. It's atleast 6 months away. So, in these 6 months, BBM would have already spread like wildfire. And BB WorkSpace trial users/customers would have finished their trials and converted into paying customers. So, by December ER, we'd start seeing two things
    1. . Explosive growth of BBM Cross Platform
    2. . Revenues starting to trickle-in from BB WorkSpace/BES MDM

Most analysts are currently valuing BlackBerry from $10 to $25 without having seen above evidence. So, let's pick $18 as a median book value figure. By December ER, analysts would have seen evidence of BBM growth + revenues from BB WorkSpace, so they'd (naturally) start to factor in these additional factors as well. It'd no longer be vaporware. They'd be able to see evidence of both BBM CrossPlatform's growth + BB WorkSpace adoption. So, it's inevitable that they'd end up adding $10/share (at the very least) to their 'book value' calculations.

So, from $18, their book-value valuation will jump to $28. At this point, if a company is to purchase BlackBerry, it'd have to offer a premium. Assuming a 50% premium on $28, it becomes $42.

$42 x 500M shares is only $20 Billion. Google paid $12.5 billion for Motorola Mobility and Motorola Mobility was in a far worse shape and did not have as many assets, secure and global data center, cross platform messenger, etc.

So, I think if BBM catches like wildfire and even if some of existing BES customers upgrade to BES 10/ BB WorkSpace, the minimum selling price for BlackBerry would be $40+.
    08-13-13 12:31 PM
    Oh, and the Q5 goes on sale today in Canada!! might have to sell a few shares and buy one (!?!)
    Last edited by StormieTwo; 08-13-13 at 12:46 PM.
    cjcampbell likes this.
    08-13-13 12:35 PM
    Been reading this thread for quite a while now and I personally have just under 1000 shares in BBRY.

I am just curious as to what other companies you guys have invested in even if it is not in the tech sector.
    Last edited by emtunc; 08-13-13 at 01:06 PM.
    bungaboy and anon(4086547) like this.
    08-13-13 12:39 PM
    How the bears must be feeling.....

abouthsu, bungaboy and sidhuk like this.
    08-13-13 12:45 PM
    Prem watsa can do no wrong! Lets break into the 12s again!
    08-13-13 12:47 PM
    08-13-13 12:47 PM
    Time for the afternoon rally to get started.... it would be nice to end the day closer to 12/shr on BBRY.
    cjcampbell and bungaboy like this.
    08-13-13 12:48 PM
    90 MILL shares between TSX and Nasdaq, haven't seen a day like this in awhile
    Except for yesterday.
    StormieTwo and bungaboy like this.
    08-13-13 12:54 PM
    Sounds to me like the guy thought highly of himself but didn't really know what he was doing.
    08-13-13 12:57 PM
    Good movements. Good news for the guys who were down and out. Further proof to why people should stick to their guts. Don't let the media force you to sell.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 12:58 PM
    You could've blindly followed Prem's moves for the last 15 years without any due diligence and made a ton of dough, or you could follow various troll haters and lose your shirt every time.....hmmmm...tough choice but I vote go with Prem, not trolls...

Prem watsa can do no wrong! Lets break into the 12s again!
    08-13-13 01:01 PM
    Sounds to me like the guy thought highly of himself but didn't really know what he was doing.
    Yep and now he comes out with this? Why not when BB10 launched?
    Bugmapper likes this.
    08-13-13 01:04 PM
    You could've blindly followed Prem's moves for the last 15 years without any due diligence and made a ton of dough, or you could follow various troll haters and lose your shirt every time.....hmmmm...tough choice but I vote go with Prem, not trolls...
    Except canwest, torstar,abitibi bowater. Other than that yes. But prem has what most lack,guts. It's not easy to watch your life savings go away and keep your head up. Prem is like a God

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 01:05 PM
    Yeah, that can happen on rapid drops. I'll set stops in case it drops a bit. Here's another thought going through my head. I lost out last time because I didn't do this. If I sold my shares today at $11.84 I'll only be down $1,363. If the price drops back town to $9 I'll pick up 476 shares which will be worth $5,635 once it reaches $11.84 again. I'd actually be ahead by $1,000 instead of being down by $1,363. Make since?

Problem is I'm not sure the SP will drop that low again and I don't want it to. But that's what I said last time.
    My suggestion is that you try to be patient and hold on to your position. Getting in and out has seldom worked out well for me but it makes a lot of commission for your trading company. Too much is happening right now for this to be a false rumour. Look at the posts M+8 has made over the last week or so before you do anything. We all want to see you make some money with us.
    08-13-13 01:06 PM
    Switch to questrade or join up with friends and pool your funds to make the minimum . There is no reason anyone should be factoring commission in with profits. The big banks are making free money off these people

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 01:12 PM
    Switch to questrade or join up with friends and pool your funds to make the minimum . There is no reason anyone should be factoring commission in with profits. The big banks are making free money off these people

Posted via CB10
    Pool with friends? Who gets stuck with the capital gains then?
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    08-13-13 01:14 PM
113,250 ... 17091710171117121713 ...