View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    I think maybe they are talking about the hardware division only? It just doesn't make any sense otherwise.

easy isn't it, make an insane story that's topical but really stretching it, watch people flock to your link bait headline and see the dollar signs float by with the page hits.

that's why they print it im guessing, cash valued over journalistic pride I guess.
    08-13-13 11:00 AM
    I think maybe they are talking about the hardware division only? It just doesn't make any sense otherwise.
    nope id guess just a link baiting story to push the ad revenue.

unless of course you`d heard of this site previously and they`d had good info? that's normally the smell test is the site itself.

to give it some context, if BGR ran the story you`d be mocking it, but from someone else it might be something else. doesn't sit right tbh
    Robert Halloran likes this.
    08-13-13 11:03 AM
    I called TD waterhouse today to complain about the rediculous 100$ commission fees I was paying PER TRADE. and they changed it so I will only pay 9.99 flat rate for the next month. I just threatened to go to questrade to get the leg up
    lcjr, sidhuk, plasmid_boy and 2 others like this.
    It's strange you use the analogy of us losing our cars in June. Almost creepy. The morning of the ER I told my wife we just lost a brand new corvette and had no insurance. Have you been talking to my wife?
    It is creepy, coz its true for me.
    I was about to buy a car, and held off coz of it. Now I'm back on autotrader
    To take a company private, the person/entity has to buy back all the public shares. So they do a tender offer and if enough people offer there shares (generally it needs to be 90%) then everyone gets bought out at that price. If less than 90% tender their shares, then the tender offer fails and none of the shares get purchased. A private company can't have over a certain number of shareholders. In US I think it is 500 as the limit. Probably a similar law exists in Canada.
    thanks for the reply,
    90% approval rate is the key. Now sit back and think this is the stock which traded over $100 not too too long ago. Very good possibility that there could be more than 10% of the stock holders who are well over $20 a share.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-13-13 11:04 AM
    Come on new porsche , buyers seem to be drying up. Morgan said it himself this is a 15+ stock. Lets get buying
    08-13-13 11:15 AM
    Come on new porsche , buyers seem to be drying up. Morgan said it himself this is a 15+ stock. Lets get buying
    Porsche? have you even seen the arirang? its got `high pixels` an everything! that's the brand ya want I tell ya, none of this Porsche malarky
    08-13-13 11:16 AM
    Thanks M8 for taking time to do this. Great read as always.

Forgot to add, not only have I not sold any shares since June 28. I have added more the day before to average down.
    I haven't sold either, and added more at 9.25 TSX, and did some swing trading.
    Have reduced my average price by more than a buck
    cjcampbell, sidhuk, lcjr and 1 others like this.
    08-13-13 11:19 AM
    Here's another analyst view, looking at some of parts of what BlackBerry is worth:

What analysts think BlackBerry is worth

DAVID MILSTEAD

Published Monday, Aug. 12, 2013 07:52PM EDT

Last updated Monday, Aug. 12, 2013 07:52PM EDT

Any potential bidder for BlackBerry Ltd. will have to put a value on each of the company’s various parts. Here is a look at how several analysts are toting up the company’s worth.

Cash – $2 to $6 per share

BlackBerry has managed to add to its cash stockpile in each of the last two quarters and now has $2.8-billion of cash and short-term investments on its balance sheet, equivalent to more than $5 per share. But how much will it have a year from now?

Kulbinder Garcha of Credit Suisse believes the company will burn through nearly $1.4-billion of its cash hoard in the next two years as it discounts its hardware to win over customers and faces continued headwinds in its service business. Nomura Securities analyst Stuart Jeffrey says since management “seems willing to utilize its cash to drive the business, we doubt that investors will factor in much of this cash” in assessing the value of the company.

Patents and intellectual property – $1.90 to $6 per share

Most estimates for BlackBerry’s intellectual property range from $1-billion to $2-billion, or $1.90 to $3.80 per share. TD Securities’ Scott Penner has previously suggested a $3 to $6 per share range based on how analysts are valuing the patents held by Nokia, but those estimates may be optimistic now that the buying frenzy for patents has died down. Michael Walkley of Canaccord Genuity, in estimating $1.25-billion, or $2.38 a share, notes that after Apple bought the majority of Nortel’s patents and Google purchased Motorola Mobility, “patent valuations have returned to more normal levels.”

Enterprise services business – $2 to $11 per share

Mark McKechnie of Evercore Partners puts only a modest value on the services business, which allows businesses to remotely control apps and security, assuming that margins will decline and the number of subscribers will fall by more than half. At an earnings multiple of 10, the business would then be worth just $2.32 per share to a potential buyer.

In contrast, Nomura’s Mr. Jeffrey thinks there may be a possible upside even with a decline in service revenue. Assuming a profit margin double Mr. McKechnie’s estimate and a 15 to 20 earnings multiple, he puts a price tag of $4.3-billion to $5.7-billion – or $8 to nearly $11 per share – on the services arm.

Hardware – Negative to $3.67 per share

TD’s Mr. Penner says BlackBerry’s hardware business is worth $3.67 a share, based on 0.2 times its next 12 months’ revenue – a multiple that is similar to valuations of personal computer businesses at Dell, Lenovo and Hewlett-Packard Corp.

But many analysts assign it no value, and suggest management’s desire to support the BlackBerry device business could eat into cash balances over the next two years. Steven Li of Raymond James, in his sum-of-the-parts valuation, assumes losses on the hardware business will offset the cash generated by the enterprise services business, so he assigns zero value to the combination of the two.

The sum of the parts – $6.86 to $13 a share

Mr. Penner and Gus Papageorgiou of Scotia Capital are among the more positive analysts. In addition to cash, enterprise service revenue and BlackBerry’s own device business, Mr. Penner sees $2.28 per share in value for the company’s opportunity in “BYOD” or management of “bring your own device” programs. For his part, Mr. Papageorgiou puts $10.16 of value just on the company’s cash and patents.

In contrast, Mr. Garcha of Credit Suisse has a $9 target price, but he also performs a net asset value analysis that assumes BlackBerry will shut down the hardware business and operate only as a services business.

He pegs its value in that scenario at $6.86 per share, given severance costs and the settlements of various obligations.
    Motorola was acquired by Google for $40 per share on Aug 15th, 2011 or 63% premium to previous close. Is there a white knight tech company willing to purchase BBRY for a premium? In my opinion, only Chinese handset makers, but DoD and U.S. government would pressure Canadian government not to allow such a deal.
    08-13-13 11:29 AM
    Remember shorts book value is $18. BlackBerry should see a premium to that

Posted via CB10
    This. And I've recovered XX XXX amount of losses woo! So close to being back even. Maybe my prediction will come true after all ($28 by December)
    m0de25, cjcampbell, sidhuk and 4 others like this.
    08-13-13 11:30 AM
    Last Friday we were bouncing off 10/shr, Monday we were bouncing off 11/shr, and today we are bouncing off 12/shr.

So... Wednesday will be 13/shr, Thursday will be 14/shr and Friday will be 15/shr...?

it could happen...
    lcjr and bungaboy like this.
    08-13-13 11:35 AM
    Yahoo is interested in acquiring Blackberry for over $1.2 billion, $1.2 billion? That crazy chick can't be serious
    Heck, I'm willing to pay $ 1.2 billion too, since they have close to 3 billion in cash and no debt.
    Didnt need to pull out my calculator for that one!

Can someone please make a story of this with a crazy headline please ???

Thanks!
    Kid Vibe, cjcampbell and bungaboy like this.
    08-13-13 11:35 AM
    Looks like another 20% of the stock will change hands again today, just like yesterday. Is there anyone out there that still thinks no one wants to buy Blackberry?
    BlackBerry Limited or BBRY the stock? The stock, absolutely yes. The company, not so sure.

If Morgan's dream scenario that this is a play by the board works out, then the stock will eventually drop again. At teh end of the day, their primary product, smart phones, aren't selling very well.

It's a great day for the stock price, and I'm near break even, but it just raised the price of the company for any entity that may have actually wanted to buy it.
    08-13-13 11:37 AM
    Yahoo is interested in acquiring Blackberry for over $1.2 billion, $1.2 billion? That crazy chick can't be serious
    Please tell me this was a joke? This "article" was written by a 17 year old in Spain. What passes for research in this thread is amazing.
    08-13-13 11:39 AM
    Question,
    In case of sale, what happens to future calls/option deals?
    08-13-13 11:39 AM
    Last Friday we were bouncing off 10/shr, Monday we were bouncing off 11/shr, and today we are bouncing off 12/shr.

So... Wednesday will be 13/shr, Thursday will be 14/shr and Friday will be 15/shr...?

it could happen...
    Can you please provide a chart for this too?
    sidhuk, bungaboy and StormieTwo like this.
    08-13-13 11:41 AM
    Heck, I'm willing to pay $ 1.2 billion too, since they have close to 3 billion in cash and no debt.
    Didnt need to pull out my calculator for that one!

Can someone please make a story of this with a crazy headline please ???

Thanks!
    Here about the author of the article, that explains it:

Hello, my name is Niels Bosch and i am the founder of AmongTech. I live in the south of Spain and am 17 years old. My main interests are web development, playing video games once in a while, Apple (gotta love Apple!), Marketing and SEO - See more at: Yahoo is interested in acquiring Blackberry for over $1.2 billion
    08-13-13 11:45 AM
    Three things I can say at this point in time:

1. Thor is a great poker player
    2. BBRY does have some value, contrary to popular belief
    3. Quoting Kid Vibe, thank God for balls of steel for not selling and slowing making my money back
    Cheers to #3. dont think i got balls of steel but the pain are less now compare to a few months back.
    08-13-13 11:47 AM

it could happen...
    OMG that would be awesome. lol. If that did happen, I'll remember to set my stops as it rises so I don't take another loss.
    StormieTwo likes this.
    08-13-13 11:48 AM
    Scotia Capital upgraded BBRY to outperform. Analyst calls: BlackBerry upgraded- MSN Money
    08-13-13 11:50 AM
    90 MILL shares between TSX and Nasdaq, haven't seen a day like this in awhile
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-13-13 11:51 AM
    Here about the author of the article, that explains it:

Hello, my name is Niels Bosch and i am the founder of AmongTech. I live in the south of Spain and am 17 years old. My main interests are web development, playing video games once in a while, Apple (gotta love Apple!), Marketing and SEO - See more at: Yahoo is interested in acquiring Blackberry for over $1.2 billion

He just proved that he's good at SEO !
    bondary likes this.
    08-13-13 11:52 AM
    I would've thought Gus would've just crawled into a hole after his huge miss last ER

Scotia Capital upgraded BBRY to outperform. Analyst calls: BlackBerry upgraded- MSN Money
    08-13-13 11:52 AM
    OMG that would be awesome. lol. If that did happen, I'll remember to set my stops as it rises so I don't take another loss.
    I heard many people have lost money because of stops, because share price dropped too rapidly on june 28th. People had stops in $14 range but the shares were sold in $12 range. Not sure if it is possible?
    lcjr likes this.
    08-13-13 11:54 AM
    I support bbry and i buy shares! This is an awesome feeling. Glad i got back in last week. Its not too late. Watsa is amazing he only makes money. Lets not bet against him
    lcjr and Superfly_FR like this.
    08-13-13 12:03 PM
113,250 ... 17081709171017111712 ...