View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    OMG how cool is this SP rally today!! Incidently, we are on vacay here in glorious New Brunswick
    (my home prov.) for a much needed visit with our kids (frail and ailing Nana). Make the most of the time
    you have with your parents guys (because there'll come a day when quality of life makes it impossible). So
    a little good mixed with some bad. such is life really. Not a great internet connection but trying to keep up
    with ya'll as much as possible.
    08-13-13 09:41 AM
    A REAL rally would be based on some positive indications that BBRY is making money or will be making money in the future. Not a knee jerk reaction because BBRY hints that they would like to go private, which cause those that are short to panic.
    If that gets you through the day ............................

You might not know this, but those are REAL shares trading, massive volume and zero pull back here. You can sit in the bleachers and watch or make money like the rest of us. The media under-played this rally and you are sounding left out too. Apple is coming out with a new phone, the iPhone 5S in a month, the last phone they introduced dropped the stock by almost 40%, so there's a trade for ya. GL
    08-13-13 09:46 AM
    Remember shorts book value is $18. BlackBerry should see a premium to that

Posted via CB10
    lcjr, bungaboy, Bugmapper and 1 others like this.
    08-13-13 09:48 AM
    A REAL rally would be based on some positive indications that BBRY is making money or will be making money in the future. Not a knee jerk reaction because BBRY hints that they would like to go private, which cause those that are short to panic.
    It is real. It may not hold up, but the rally is real. It would have opened lower today (and not gapped up like it did) if Wall Street didn't think it was real. A week or a month from now, who knows, but make no mistake, it is real.
    Last edited by OMGitworks; 08-13-13 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spelling, duh.
    08-13-13 09:48 AM
    A little OT but relevant since MSFT is a potential suitor.

Some Microsoft stockholders are filing a class action lawsuit over the Surface RT sales and $900 million write down

Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Files Class Action Suit against Microsoft Corporation | Business Wire

"The complaint alleges that, during the Class Period, defendants issued materially false and misleading statements regarding the Company’s financial performance and its tablet computer, the Surface RT. Specifically, defendants misrepresented and failed to make public the following adverse facts: (i) that the Company’s Surface RT product was experiencing poor customer demand and lackluster sales; (ii) that the Company’s Surface RT inventory experienced a material decline in value during the quarter ended March 31, 2013; (iii) that the Company’s financial statements for the quarter ended March 31, 2013 were materially false and misleading and violated Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Microsoft’s publicly disclosed policy of accounting for inventories; (iv) that the Company’s Form 10-Q for its third quarter of 2013 failed to disclose then presently known trends, events or uncertainties associated with the Surface RT product that were reasonably likely to have a material effect on Microsoft’s future operating results; and (v) that based on the foregoing, defendants lacked a reasonable basis for their positive statements about the Company’s Surface RT product during the Class Period."
    08-13-13 09:49 AM
    you better get back in the can! this rally needs to keep going!

What just happened? I got to the can and we broke out? Lol

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and BergerKing like this.
    08-13-13 09:49 AM
    That's what I thought. I was reading about how they would have to buy our shares back at an agreed price but didn't like the numbers shown. I can't remember where I read this but the estimated buyout price would be between $12 and $14??? If that's even close I'll be upset.
    No, it'd be book value + some premium. I am guessing atleast twice the book value. This is just a guess.
    What's BlackBerry's book value? I don't know. But mrfreetruth sounds about right.
    Remember shorts book value is $18. BlackBerry should see a premium to that
    I'd think book value will be far greater than $20 though. Why? Here's why:

Assuming, they launch cross-platform BBM next month and assuming that it spreads like wildfire (100M+ users in a quarter; in addition to existing 70M users) I think Cross Platform BBM alone will add $10/share to the marketcap.

So, if current book value is $15-$18, I think cross-platform BBM with some 200M users will adds another $10 to it and make it make it $25 to $28 book value.

Now, add your own estimate for premium to $25 to $28 book value to get final sale price. That's my estimate.

Am I over optimistic about cross-platform BBM? Well, I am assuming we'd get 100M+ users in 3 months (in addition to existing BB users). So, bringing a total close to 200M users. I think if we have 200M users for cross-platform BBM, it'd easily come close to Skype in value. Why?

Because it's not just cross-platform BBM - but it's BBM Chat, Voice and Video. PLUS, it's BBM Channels. BBM Channels has potential to become equivalent of Twitter. So, if you get 200M users for a newly launched mobile-equivalent of Twitter; what do you get? You get something that's similar to SKYPE+Twitter.

How much is Skype worth? It was sold for $8.5 B
    How much is Twitter worth? It's valued for $10B+.
    That's $18.5 B. That's almost $30 a share for BBM alone. But I am being very conservative. I am only adding $10 a share for BBM/BBM Channels to book-value.
    Last edited by chrysaurora; 08-13-13 at 10:03 AM.
    08-13-13 09:50 AM
    you better get back in the can! this rally needs to keep going!
    HAHAHAHA!
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-13-13 09:51 AM
    12.00 breached!
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-13-13 09:52 AM
    The good thing: Losses are melting
    The bad thing: I could not persuade myself buying some shares on friday
    OMG: 11,34 %
    bungaboy and bondary like this.
    A little OT but relevant since MSFT is a potential suitor.
    Didn't they look and reject this idea last year or am I misremembering?
    BergerKing likes this.
    36 million traded already. Insanity.
    08-13-13 09:54 AM
    Oh my, this is WAY too much fun!
    bungaboy and BergerKing like this.
    08-13-13 09:55 AM
    M+8 commented on the timing being perfect. I was thinking the same thing. The free advertising Blackberry is getting these days is worth millions. People keep hearing Blackberry, Blackberry, Blackberry ... then they go and buy one. The media calling them dead is such a farce as investors watch the share price rise. Could this "up for sale" strategy be a very creative way to buy some time and get a lot of free advertising? It would take at least 6 months for an offer to come to a close. If management keeps working hard at moving the plan forward, they may not need a buyer in 6 months time. I'm anticipating a rough ER this quarter and this 'for sale' talk is perfect to help us wade through the next 6 months.
    08-13-13 09:55 AM
    for the first time monday I tried to day trade my whole BB position, Out at 10$ on BB.to... didn't jump back in till today.... @ 11.50. Miss out on alot of my money that would of covered half my losses. My blackberry pain continues

*EDIT* and now my stop was triggered at 12.30... ****
    08-13-13 09:56 AM
    So is this the beginning of shorts covering? Cause I don't realistically think they can
    drag this one down enough to save themselves.
    Ohhhh baby!

+11% already

Squeeeeeeeze!

CB10 on the Z10
    Don't you shorts understand BlackBerry had unofficial offers last year but didn't want to make a deal. This time around they are telling everyone that yes they are finally for sale. Many US companies very much want to make some type of deal be it partnership or buy out. Wake up and cover now and go long or watch it run higher

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 09:57 AM
    What just happened? I got to the can and we broke out? Lol

Posted via CB10
    Could you go back to the can for a while? We will call you when it is time to sell!
    08-13-13 09:57 AM
    The cowbell guy seems to be doing a wonderful job today too.
    Thanks!
    And you don't need to go MIA while you are at it!
    cjcampbell and bungaboy like this.
    08-13-13 09:58 AM
    Wow was up to 12.54 tsx on my account at one point! I am sub 10k loss now...who wouldve thunk I would take that as a positive lol
    08-13-13 09:58 AM
    This is a really great day! God I hope this keeps going.
    08-13-13 09:59 AM
    Let's see $18, and then $30.
    sidhuk, Korepab, bungaboy and 5 others like this.
    I am going to respectfully suggest that Book Value for a tech company, especially one like BBRY whose future is uncertain is not a great metric. No more than EPS is right now, which BTW is negative. They help, but when the landscape is changing as quickly as it is in this sector and for BBRY, the book value snap shot and the EPS figures are very fleeting. We need to know and guess what will happen in the future, not what was captured by BV or EPS.
    Bacon Munchers likes this.
    So is this the beginning of shorts covering? Cause I don't realistically think they can
    drag this one down enough to save themselves.
    +1

I also think some shorts will receive margin calls shortly. (pun intended). This will cause a cascading effect resulting in the acceleration of the SP higher. I think M+5 prediction of 52-week high is plausible and highly likely if there is a general market correction to exacerbate margin calls.
    Robert Halloran and bungaboy like this.
    08-13-13 10:00 AM
113,250 ... 17051706170717081709 ...