View Poll Results: Did you buy shares ?

Voters
1129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm acting now !

702 62.18%
  • No

427 37.82%
    Not a brand as we know it (Sam, Sony, ...) but a manufacturer could, IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    I guess there might be value for some emerging markets OEM but I'm struggling to think who - especially as BB07 sales are declining and BB10 sales are no where.
    08-12-13 09:22 AM
    Damnit. I sold at 10.20 and now it's 10.60 fantastic
    08-12-13 09:23 AM
    This is why shorts are running around scared. Prem stepping off the board is very telling. The next two weeks will be interesting

Posted via CB10
    The "shorts" are to blame for everything! They made TH mislead the stockholders, they made people not buy Z and Q units, we should hunt the, down and make them pay!

What will we do when we can't blame the shorts anymore?

These latest developments are very interesting but I would like to remain reserved as this has the possibility of being good and bad.
    Bugmapper, m1a1mg, sidhuk and 3 others like this.
    08-12-13 09:23 AM
    The "shorts" are to blame for everything! They made TH mislead the stockholders, they made people not buy Z and Q units, we should hunt the, down and make them pay!

These latest developments are very interesting but I would like to remain reserved as this has the possibility of being good and bad.
    I see you sold on Friday .

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 09:25 AM

Net net this is positive news for bbry but maybe not for the company as this strategic review of alternatives (even if there is only one altetnatice) will be a hugh distraction.
    fedakd likes this.
    08-12-13 09:27 AM
    Amber Kanwar ‏@amberkanwar 2m
    Source tells @howardgreenBNN that $BBRY is likely to find private buyer

BNN twitter.
    08-12-13 09:31 AM
    IMO, i see nothing negative in this news. Prem is not selling.
    08-12-13 09:34 AM
    When the stock was halted I thought could this be the twitter chatter that my banking buddy was hearing? It will be interesting to hear who they start talking with over the next few weeks. To be short now is foolish. I don't think they are foolish as they are looking to cover.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 09:35 AM
    the times are such that mergers and acquisitions are very favored by the markets and the banks. Borrowing large scale is dirt cheap and money is looking for places to be parked.

to put it as bluntly as possible... a leveraged buyout of blackberry would cost next to nothing for large corporations on the industry.

My perspective is that the timing is absolutely ideal for Blackberry market wise. Compnay/product wise its not as i think Blackberry 10 need time to become mature .

Another thing that i know is that when there is smoke there is fire. SO my presumption here is that they have already someone knocking on the door but before they answer they decided to make a couple phonecalls to invite more people to the party...

as far as the company going private like i replied a couple days ago i give it one chance in a trillion.
    08-12-13 09:38 AM
    A 100% premium to current share value is very, very unlikely. We would need a run up or bidding war or someone who is willing to seriously over pay to get to $20. Prem has a fiduciary duty to his Fairfax folks not to overpay.
    Profit-free websites sell for a billion dollars these days. BBRY has some strong patents and a good reputation. Who knows what it would sell for. I think Canada is really not going to want their top tech company taken over by someone outside of Canada though. This could be a sign that the company is hemorrhaging cash and so it will sell for cheap. Or it could mean that someone big like Samsung or Microsoft steps in and acquires it $10 billion. Samsung is deathly afraid that Google will some day pull the plug on sharing Android updates. Microsoft can never figure out a way to spend the cash from Windows and Office in a way that is profitable. And they must read the writing on the wall that Google is going to give away a nice enough OS and office suite for free.
    sidhuk and Bacon Munchers like this.
    08-12-13 09:38 AM
    Amber Kanwar ‏@amberkanwar 2m
    Source tells @howardgreenBNN that $BBRY is likely to find private buyer

BNN twitter.
    IMO, there will be more than one buyer with in next couple of weeks.
    08-12-13 09:39 AM
    I see you sold on Friday .

Posted via CB10
    And your point is?
    Respectfully, we have no idea why Prem got off the Board. Not even a hint. When major investors get off a board it is usually not to buy it. Take a look at Dell and what is going on there between Michael Dell and Icahn for how it usually plays out. They stay on the board and fight and litigate.
    it is right in the NR, to avoid a conflict of interest.................so mystery no there
    I'd like to point out that in the press release they announced the lawyers. A very large US law firm and a very well respected Canadian one. One really only needs to lawyer up if there are deal documents to draft and negotiate. To a certain extent you might need them if you are putting together a data room that perspective investors can peruse. In any case, you don't need lawyers if you are just having high level exploratory discussions between CEOs.
    m1a1mg, sidhuk, Bugmapper and 7 others like this.
    08-12-13 09:41 AM
    Thanks for the point out...hmm. I've taken a less risky position this time around in terms of size but I've added my position.

Appreciate the point out, I'll look into how other mergers/buyouts work. Do you have any thoughts on why Prem might have left the board? Is he maybe jumping ship =S?
    My concern is that there will be offer to take it private at $14-15 (a massive 40-50% premium to today's price, normally a tremendous offer). Prem/Fairfax is in at $17. How could he vote on that offer without sticking it to either BBRY or Fairfax? He has similar problems, but less at risk if the price is over $17. Just my 2 cents.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    08-12-13 09:41 AM
    I'd like to point out that in the press release they announced the lawyers. A very large US law firm and a very well respected Canadian one. One really only needs to lawyer up if there are deal documents to draft and negotiate. To a certain extent you might need them if you are putting together a data room that perspective investors can peruse. In any case, you don't need lawyers if you are just having high level exploratory discussions between CEOs.
    The lawyers are ALWAYS involved, especially if TH or Prem or any other insider is part of the group that may make an offer to take it private.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    08-12-13 09:46 AM
    The lawyers are ALWAYS involved, especially if TH or Prem or any other insider is part of the group that may make an offer to take it private.
    Skadden is probably charging them a small fortune. As an investor, I hope they have something in play.

Skadden did the RJR Nabsico deal. They are very big time.
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-12-13 09:51 AM
    There is one big question left unanswered...

What does Alicia Keys think?

m0de25, m1a1mg, leafs123 and 7 others like this.
    08-12-13 09:56 AM
    BlackBerry puts itself up for sale - The Globe and Mail

"During the past year, management and the board have been focused on launching the BlackBerry 10 platform ... establishing a strong financial position, and evaluating the best approach to delivering long-term value for customers and shareholders," said Timothy Dattels, chairman of BlackBerry's new committee. "Given the importance and strength of our technology, and the evolving industry and competitive landscape, we believe that now is the right time to explore strategic alternatives."

As long as we sell above a SP of 15 I'll make a small profit... But it seems most people here are saying a minimum of 18. I hope they announce something AFTER the market closes... If they do. So shorts can feel the pain of watching the stock shoot up during PM where they have no way of covering until the market opens... That would be ideal.

I'd still rather see BB public until December (yes, its a bit of a gamble, but I think that is a good turning point for them)
    Last edited by Kid Vibe; 08-12-13 at 10:08 AM.
    08-12-13 09:58 AM
    Outside of a private equity buyout, I think a bid from a rival seems less likely. If i'm Apple, Microsoft, Samsung (or android), why wouldn't you continue to hammer Blackberry instead of trying to buy them?
    anon(4086547) and BergerKing like this.
    08-12-13 09:58 AM
    Skadden is probably charging them a small fortune. As an investor, I hope they have something in play.

Skadden did the RJR Nabsico deal. They are very big time.
    Someone should write a book about this: BlackBerrians at the Gate.
    08-12-13 10:01 AM
    the times are such that mergers and acquisitions are very favored by the markets and the banks. Borrowing large scale is dirt cheap and money is looking for places to be parked.

to put it as bluntly as possible... a leveraged buyout of blackberry would cost next to nothing for large corporations on the industry.

My perspective is that the timing is absolutely ideal for Blackberry market wise. Compnay/product wise its not as i think Blackberry 10 need time to become mature .

Another thing that i know is that when there is smoke there is fire. SO my presumption here is that they have already someone knocking on the door but before they answer they decided to make a couple phonecalls to invite more people to the party...

as far as the company going private like i replied a couple days ago i give it one chance in a trillion.
    One in a trillion? Have you had your coffee yet?
    The head of the Canadian Pension Plan has already publically stated that he would like to get in on the action of taking it private. As I considered the go private move over the weekend, I came to the conclusion that it would probably be the smartest move for all involved given the current circumstances.
    We, as shareholders, would see some nice profit (if we can be patient and hold our shares). The shorts will get squeezed. The company gets to step away from the media pit bulls while they still have some goodwill value to the name. The investors that take it private will see it go public again in two years and double or triple their money.
    What's not to like?
    Prem had to step off the board because he wants to act as an arms length shareholder to get the best value deal for his shares.
    08-12-13 10:12 AM
    And I laughed . . . . .

The BBRY Café.  [Formerly: I support BBRY and I buy shares!]-jekyll-hyde.jpg
    sidhuk and BergerKing like this.
    08-12-13 10:14 AM
    Looks like they didn't get the Q10 sales that they were hoping for. I mean, why would you put yourself up for sale, or try to go private if you had good numbers to report on the next ER? Looks like the SP better rise as fast as it can, because around ER time, we could be looking at another bummer of report.
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-12-13 10:20 AM
    One in a trillion? Have you had your coffee yet?
    The head of the Canadian Pension Plan has already publically stated that he would like to get in on the action of taking it private. As I considered the go private move over the weekend, I came to the conclusion that it would probably be the smartest move for all involved given the current circumstances.
    We, as shareholders, would see some nice profit (if we can be patient and hold our shares). The shorts will get squeezed. The company gets to step away from the media pit bulls while they still have some goodwill value to the name. The investors that take it private will see it go public again in two years and double or triple their money.
    What's not to like?
    Prem had to step off the board because he wants to act as an arms length shareholder to get the best value deal for his shares.
    One in a trillion chance is still a chance and pretty good one.
    08-12-13 10:26 AM
113,250 ... 16901691169216931694 ...